Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

precision posted:

Yeah, was gonna post that myself. Kinda hilarious that they got Sean instead of Julian Lennon, considering the song was written for Julian, but Sean has always been much more interesting. I even like some of his songs.

It was probably also because Sean Lennon tours with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

precision posted:

Yeah, was gonna post that myself. Kinda hilarious that they got Sean instead of Julian Lennon, considering the song was written for Julian, but Sean has always been much more interesting. I even like some of his songs.

Sean is great, and I'm surprised at his lack of real recognition. Don't miss Stereo Type A by Cibo Matto, which he plays on. Seriously good record.

Edit: New Cibo Matto album on Feb. 14th?!? Heard a couple of the new songs on their tour a couple years back, so looking forward to those.

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 8, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CPL593H posted:

It was probably also because Sean Lennon tours with them.

Well yeah but I would've thought the Tonight Show guys would have wanted both of them. Julian is kind of a prick though so.

Fors Yard posted:

Sean is great, and I'm surprised at his lack of real recognition. Don't miss Stereo Type A by Cibo Matto, which he plays on. Seriously good record.

Yeah, I think that was the first album I knew him from. His solo stuff is also "not trying as hard as possible to be my dad", which is Julian Lennon in a nutshell.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I might have to check out the Cibo Matto album but I saw GOASTT when they toured with the Lips in October and was significantly underwhelmed.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
Sean was raised by Yoko Ono, he was always going to be more interesting the Jules

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er
What the gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxdLGuy11wg

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Actually, that wasn't all that bad. I mean, Wayne sounds like Wayne, Steve plays like Steve, the backing band are obviously pros, and Cyrus obviously knows the song and is pleased to do it. Obviously it's not like she asked them to go up there and jam on Abandoned Hospital Ship for a half-hour, but it's still a nice touch. Maybe they'll sell a couple copies of YBTPR to some kids who previously weren't aware.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hahaha WHAT :psyboom:

Don't a lot of parents take their kids to see her shows? That must have been weird. Although it would've been a lot weirder if they'd done You Lust or Jesus Shootin' Heroin or something. I guess Yoshimi's a nice crowd-friendly acoustic jam. And even more surprising than this existing in the first place is that their vocal harmony actually sounded pretty good most of the time and she remembered every word.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

poo poo I want a giant balloon that says gently caress YEAH.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Don't a lot of parents take their kids to see her shows? That must have been weird. Although it would've been a lot weirder if they'd done You Lust or Jesus Shootin' Heroin or something. I guess Yoshimi's a nice crowd-friendly acoustic jam. And even more surprising than this existing in the first place is that their vocal harmony actually sounded pretty good most of the time and she remembered every word.

Just to the left of Wayne in the first half of the vid you can see some old dude's who's just stoic faced.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

I don't see how's that's surprising; she's been singing professionally for most of her life, and it's not like Yoshimi is anything off the charts in vocal range. And of course she knows all the words, it's one of the most popular songs by one of her favorite bands.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Is it commonly accepted to just call the song/album Yoshimi? Maybe I'm being a Lips sperg but I kind of cringed when she was just like, "this song's called Yoshimi".

Other than that small thing I really had no issue with it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I mean I usually call it Yoshimi Part 1 because the first time I ever heard it (and a lot of times after that too) was in the context of the album as a whole with part 2 coming after it, but I would guess that a lot of more casual Lips fans have never heard part 2 and just think that's all there is. Plus Part 2 doesn't have any lyrics so they can't sing along with that one.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I certainly wouldn't introduce the song to thousands of new people as "Yoshimi"

maybe I'd omit the "Part 1", but that's it.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Do you live under a rock or are you really not aware that Miley's "kid friendly" image has been tarnished by her own volition since ~2012?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Slackerish posted:

Do you live under a rock or are you really not aware that Miley's "kid friendly" image has been tarnished by her own volition since ~2012?
Well I know that, but the fact remains that a ton of kids still listen to her and I've heard reports of parents taking their kids to see her, even now in the year 2014.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Well I know that, but the fact remains that a ton of kids still listen to her and I've heard reports of parents taking their kids to see her, even now in the year 2014.

Even then she said said "gently caress" like 18 times before Wayne and Steven came out mixed with all the other risque poo poo she's been over-publicized for being something that a parent is okay with. Then she sings a song with them about robots and poo poo, it honestly was probably the most kid-friendly thing she did the entire night.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I can't help but admire someone who has the audacity to wear an over sized t-shirt with their own face plastered on both sides of it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CPL593H posted:

I can't help but admire someone who has the audacity to wear an over sized t-shirt with their own face plastered on both sides of it.
Yeah it was pretty mesmerizing watching that video and her back being turned to me through most of it but her giant face still staring at me.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Unironically want The Flaming Lips to cover Party in the USA.

deadhoarse
Oct 18, 2004

This was probably the least offensive thing of the show, which includes her...performing on stage with a guy in a Bill Clinton mask. Her tour merch also includes rolling papers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi7tp7ccWvs

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

She's such a loving rebel. Is she even old enough to remember when Clinton was president?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CPL593H posted:

She's such a loving rebel. Is she even old enough to remember when Clinton was president?
She's 2 years younger than me, so probably, but barely.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

deadhoarse posted:

This was probably the least offensive thing of the show, which includes her...performing on stage with a guy in a Bill Clinton mask. Her tour merch also includes rolling papers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi7tp7ccWvs

Thanks...now I kind of want to go to a Miley Cyrus concert

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
The new Gruff Rhys song from his new album features Kliph Scurlock on drums:

http://www.gruffrhys.com/american-interior-part-5-the-song/

quote:

pacious yet mournful! Bombastic yet Pizazz-full!

These are some of the attributes that are perhaps pinnable to the chest of this new song that goes by the name: American Interior.

It will be the theme song of the film and book of the same name but is a robust drama in it’s own right. Inspired by the unusual journey of 18th century explorer John Evans through lands that would eventually become part of today’s USA.

It was constructed and played out fast and loose – like a peaceful war, by Gruff Rhys on Guitar and vocals, Kliph Scurlock on drums, Osian Gwynedd on piano, and playing what is without argument the greatest electric mandola solo in the history of recorded song – Alun Tan Lan.

The frontier string section were arranged by Gruff ab Alwyn and features:

Mari Morgan – 1st violin
Francesca Simmons – 2nd violin
Rebecca Homer – viola
Elen Ifan – cello

It was recorded initially by Bright Eyes’s Mike Mogis in Omaha, Nebraska and finished up and mixed by Ali Chant in St Pauls, Bristol.

Recommended: listen loudly through massive speakers and simultaneously plug in a hair dryer and aim towards the top half of your forehead – It will help give the impression that you’re standing on top of a canyon in a cosmic sandstorm or something similar.

I believe Kliph plays on a few other tracks as well.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Uh.... I'm worried. 7 Skies H3 is rumored to be getting a vinyl release for Record Store Day.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

WASDF posted:

Uh.... I'm worried. 7 Skies H3 is rumored to be getting a vinyl release for Record Store Day.

30 LP boxset?

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er

HorseRenoir posted:

30 LP boxset?

It's a ~40 minute edit by Dave Fridmann, Wayne and Kliph. Here's the (awesome) cover art:

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

WASDF posted:

I mean...I'd listen to the edited version, but the tiny bit I listened to it last year gave me the impression it's dreary as gently caress.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

MajorB posted:

It's a ~40 minute edit by Dave Fridmann, Wayne and Kliph. Here's the (awesome) cover art:

Looks so un-flaming lips. I feel like I'd find that on bandcamp as some sort of harsh-noise/powerviolence project.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

WASDF posted:

Looks so un-flaming lips. I feel like I'd find that on bandcamp as some sort of harsh-noise/powerviolence project.

I don't know, it looks like a giant eyeball to me, which is pretty FLips-y.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

Not too into the cover art for 7 Skies H3, but I see it's listed at $24.98 MSRP:

quote:

On vinyl for the first time ever. A 50 minute distillation across 10 tracks of the remarkable 24-hour song recorded at Tarbox Road Studios in 2011. Includes digital download card.

They're also on a split-7" for record store day with Devo:

quote:

Part of WMG's Side By Side series. Includes Devo's "Gates Of Steel" from the original DEV-O Live EP and a previously unreleased cover by The Flaming Lips all on gorgeous silver vinyl! "Gates of Steel" was the 4th single from Devo's 1980 breakthrough album, Freedom Of Choice and is a fan favorite. Prolific psych-rockers The Flaming Lips covered of Devo's "Gates of Steel" live in 2013 and released the song first as a video. Shot during the same live session as the "Turning Violent" video , the Freedom of Choice cut was adapted to fit the radiantly noisy sonic and visual esthetic that the band's been flaunting since The Terror.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf_XoInMzJE

[edit] Looks like both are 7,500 copies.

iluvpr0n fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Mar 5, 2014

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

iluvpr0n posted:

Not too into the cover art for 7 Skies H3, but I see it's listed at $24.98 MSRP:

They're also on a split-7" for record store day with Devo:

I love their Gates of Steel cover, so I'm totally buying the poo poo out of that.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Sounds like it won't be too limited.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

WASDF posted:

Sounds like it won't be too limited.

I don't really deal with the Cabbage Patch Kid bullshit anyway. I just call ahead and tell the store what I want and wait until the crowd dies down to pick it up.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

CPL593H posted:

I don't really deal with the Cabbage Patch Kid bullshit anyway. I just call ahead and tell the store what I want and wait until the crowd dies down to pick it up.

Aren't you in the Boston area? What is your preferred store to do that kinda thing, my good man? I've lived here for 15 years, but I still have a soft spot for Bull Moose from my olden times, so I don't have a big loyalty with one shop that I'd call on to do that for me. Bull Moose's free shipping for $25+ orders means I get quite a lot of stuff through them..

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I don't have any stores like this :(

Although, the past few RSDs I haven't had any issues picking up the Stone Roses or the King Crimson album. I just don't think Flaming Lips is too popular in Seattle.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Definitely going to try and buy 7 Skies H3. I'm really curious as to what the edit sounds like.

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
E: sorted this out. tickets acquired. yay.

Action Serious fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 6, 2014

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
A couple of unreleased old Lips songs leaked somehow this weekend. Check them out:

Jets (Cupid's Kiss vs. the Psyche of Death) - The final studio version, not the demo from the Wastin' Pigs EP.

Gates of Steel - Recorded for a DEVO tribute album that never came out in 2004.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Surfingelectrode posted:

A couple of unreleased old Lips songs leaked somehow this weekend. Check them out:

Jets (Cupid's Kiss vs. the Psyche of Death) - The final studio version, not the demo from the Wastin' Pigs EP.

Gates of Steel - Recorded for a DEVO tribute album that never came out in 2004.

I like that Gates of Steel arrangement, but the crying coda makes it a bit uncomfortable to chuck into the ol' workday mix or what have you.

e: Jets is super loving rad, though.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 10, 2014

• Locked thread