Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
In my previous town, I could jump in the car or walk 3 blocks, get a case of beer, bottle of Jack (not that I drink it) and as much wine as I want, a tank of fuel and a hot dog at the gas station.

Now I have to go 6 blocks :smug:

Speaking of 6....

:getin:

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Randolph county, NC is dry. Beer and Liquor by the drink at restaurants passed last year, but that's it.

Fortunately I work in the next county :v:

e:new page

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

dubzee posted:

Randolph county, NC is dry. Beer and Liquor by the drink at restaurants passed last year, but that's it.

Fortunately I work in the next county :v:

When I was living in NC I recall that SC had some ridiculous rule about selling whole bottles only (maybe that's still the case....I haven't been there in a decade or more). I think that back in the day that was supposed to eliminate bars as we know them. So what do you get instead? Bars full of airplane bottles. Stupid.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Isn't PA and NJ have the hosed up liquor laws that you have to buy beer at a bar or liquor store?

Yes, but Pennsylvania also has huge refrigerated warehouses that you can drive into, tell them what kind of beer you want, and they bring it to your car. Or at least they did ten years ago.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AvesPKS posted:

Yes, but Pennsylvania also has huge refrigerated warehouses that you can drive into, tell them what kind of beer you want, and they bring it to your car. Or at least they did ten years ago.

Ohio has drive throughs. Ten years ago you could get a single cold beer for a buck or two. Even as the only occupant of the car.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Volvo Variety

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Ohio has drive throughs. Ten years ago you could get a single cold beer for a buck or two. Even as the only occupant of the car.

drinking and driving isn't illegal, driving while intoxicated is.

actually that may not be true...

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Jonny Nox posted:

drinking and driving isn't illegal, driving while intoxicated is.

actually that may not be true...

I think most states (mine at least) have "open container" laws anyway. Also I'm pretty sure being "impaired" is up to an officer's discretion so even if you blow under .08 if the officer don't like the look of ya and you're anything over .00000 you can be taken in.

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe
Friend of a friend took these at a car show in Belgium, I really dig that the cars don't look totally mint. I'm not too familiar with cars of this era, so cool if someone can give more info.

30's Bugatti

Supercharged Bentley

Gorgeous Maserati

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
There's a fun loophole in PA law that allows any stores with sitdown eating areas to get liquor licenses, and then they can sell all the beer and six-packs they want. Sheetz is a gas station convenience store in western PA that I think came up with this. They added a few crappy tables, and that was all they needed. A small pizza shop near me did this too. They probably make more money from beer sales than from pizza.

Near me, there's a Wegmans grocery store and a Giant grocery store that both have beer because they have a sit-down café. (you know - supermarket buffet food) The Wegmans actually built a full-on "pub" inside with an actual bar.

PA Auto show last week: The new Mustang actually looks awesome from the side.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

spleen merchant posted:

Supercharged Bentley

I love those old cars with the supercharger mounted directly to the crankshaft. :fap:

edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bentley_4%C2%BD_Litre#Blower_Bentley

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
So Ford is just blatantly ripping off Aston Martin now?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

kmcormick9 posted:

Pretty much, since they own Aston they can pilfer whatever IP they want. I think it looks awful on most of their cars but the new Mustang is really good looking.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

kmcormick9 posted:

Man, people are getting so stupid about this. You realize Ford is actually responsible for that Aston design language (even though they sold them), right? So they're ripping themselves off? But even putting that aside, what about the new Mustang is an Aston ripoff? Big mouthy grille with outboard headlights? Yep never seen that on a Mustang before. Seriously, what Aston does the Mustang even look like? I can't find it.

It's especially funny because I can remember when Astons were referred to as 'Beverly Hills Mustangs'.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Q_res posted:

It's especially funny because I can remember when Astons were referred to as 'Beverly Hills Mustangs'.

Is this some :bahgawd: thing because I've never heard it before, although it's surprisingly apt.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
From the side those headlights look like E60 projectors

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Das Volk posted:

Is this some :bahgawd: thing because I've never heard it before, although it's surprisingly apt.

No, it was a thing. Though I've only really heard it applied to this era of Astons.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

M42
Nov 12, 2012

What's this for?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
From what I can tell, the lever near the front may be the handbrake, which might make the rear lever an e-brake?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bentley_Blower

Handbrake:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bentley_4%C2%BD_Litre_-_Handbrake_-_20090924.jpg

anonumos fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 25, 2014

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Ooooh, ok. I'm an idiot and thought it was attached to the fender there.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Terrible Robot posted:

Pretty much, since they own Aston they can pilfer whatever IP they want. I think it looks awful on most of their cars but the new Mustang is really good looking.

Not sure if you know and meant this, but they own 15%. I wonder if they wrote in IP details or if Aston is just holding its tongue.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Found a pretty, classic Benz at a local shop.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
This... is incredible

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

M42 posted:

Ooooh, ok. I'm an idiot and thought it was attached to the fender there.

A natural mistake if you've ever seen this movie.

exempt
Dec 10, 2006

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

This... is incredible

Owning this would be super impractical, I don't even know where I'd use it.

I want it so badly though.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Supradog posted:

A natural mistake if you've ever seen this movie.
And if you haven't you should rectify this mistake in your life as soon as possible.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Baram posted:

Found a pretty, classic Benz at a local shop.

That's a nice 190SL :)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

0toShifty posted:

Near me, there's a Wegmans grocery store and a Giant grocery store that both have beer because they have a sit-down café. (you know - supermarket buffet food) The Wegmans actually built a full-on "pub" inside with an actual bar.

Wegmans doesn't just do that in PA, they also have seating in a lot of stores in New York because Wegmans is awesome and has lots of good prepared food.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Terrible Robot posted:

Actually they sold Aston Martin quite a few years ago, just like they did with Land Rover. That hasn't stopped them from using what are basically Range Rover interiors in their trucks and Aston Martin grills on all their new cars.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Q_res posted:

Man, people are getting so stupid about this. You realize Ford is actually responsible for that Aston design language (even though they sold them), right? So they're ripping themselves off? But even putting that aside, what about the new Mustang is an Aston ripoff? Big mouthy grille with outboard headlights? Yep never seen that on a Mustang before. Seriously, what Aston does the Mustang even look like? I can't find it.

Actually I think you'll find the Aston Martin grill shape predates Ford ownership by, oh. Aston Martin's entire life.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
What a silly argument.

https://www.google.com/search?q=for...&dpr=1#imgdii=_

anonumos fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 26, 2014

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

drgitlin posted:

Actually I think you'll find the Aston Martin grill shape predates Ford ownership by, oh. Aston Martin's entire life.

Never said it didn't, the Mustang also doesn't have an Aston shaped grille.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Am I wrong for saying that I like the looks of the Lagonda? I know it's a complete piece of poo poo underneath but the exterior has an odd appeal, as if Volvo and Ferrari in the 80s got together to make a car.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Things are getting silly now.

Fattig
Oct 10, 2012

88h88 posted:

Things are getting silly now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay9pTLa3mSE

Things got silly a year back.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
What is the reasoning for dual plugs per cylinder? (or in this case rotor). I've seen it done on other things and never understood why.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
I think this wraps around back to good.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

veedubfreak posted:

What is the reasoning for dual plugs per cylinder? (or in this case rotor). I've seen it done on other things and never understood why.

It's so the flame front has to travel less distance, which means that you get more complete fuel burn. Especially in a Wankel rotary engine, as the rotor face is quite long. It really helps for higher rpm performance, or if your fuel burns a bit slow.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Collateral Damage posted:

Am I wrong for saying that I like the looks of the Lagonda? I know it's a complete piece of poo poo underneath but the exterior has an odd appeal, as if Volvo and Ferrari in the 80s got together to make a car.

I think it's the perfect looking car for someone dressed like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
besides, you know the confederate flag