Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Avenging Dentist posted:

Here's a mockup from one of the UX people to give you a better idea of what it would look like:

~fixed this 4 u~

Hyperbolic, yeah, but seriously: This was just about the worst way to approach the issue. Having some vague language tucked away on a newly created blog on a newly created department from a new position from someone who was brought in from the very industry all us nerds are so suspicious of isn't the best way to go about winning people's trust, especially coming from an organization who is very big on openness and transparency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

How do you feel about your iPhone coming with bookmarks for ESPN, Disney and Yahoo?

You actually have to manually delete those, like Firefox's preinstalled search engines.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

pseudorandom name posted:

How do you feel about your iPhone coming with bookmarks for ESPN, Disney and Yahoo?

You actually have to manually delete those, like Firefox's preinstalled search engines.

Honestly, I don't like the practice. Again, it's not Directory Tiles specifically, it's the really lovely way they're going about it.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

How is the way they're going about it lovely?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

pseudorandom name posted:

How is the way they're going about it lovely?

Mainly the part where they wrote a weasel-worded blog post that talked up that it would benefit users without actually describing how it would do so and just generally leaving a lot of important details out.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Oh, I didn't read that, just the Ars summary.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I'm liking Classic Theme Restorer for its ability to play with the new Australis UI.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
In the "irritating minor details" department, is anyone else using Menu Editor and having trouble?
It's working but it seems like it resets with every new window I open. Going to options, rearranging two items I don't care about, and applying the changes applies it to that window, but a new one always seems to reset the context menu arrangement again and requires reapplying the options again.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Is there an about:config or command-line option to set specific dimensions for a Firefox window under Australis? I was using Firesizer before, but it doesn't seem to be working even with a status bar hacked in, and all of the 'resize firefox window' hits on Google are at least four years old.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I want to go to Firefox now after Chrome has been annoying me. Should I go with Waterfox or just stick with Nightly?

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I want to go to Firefox now after Chrome has been annoying me. Should I go with Waterfox or just stick with Nightly?

Why would you stick with Nightly? That's the most unstable branch of Firefox.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Nothing I've heard has suggested Waterfox is worth using for the average user. I'd suggest Aurora if you really want to use a development version of Firefox, not Nightly.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Read posted:

Nothing I've heard has suggested Waterfox is worth using for the average user. I'd suggest Aurora if you really want to use a development version of Firefox, not Nightly.

Oh that's what I meant. Whichever one is analogous to the beta branch of Chrome instead of the dev branch.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Oh that's what I meant. Whichever one is analogous to the beta branch of Chrome instead of the dev branch.

In order of decreasing stability / increasingly bleeding edge: Firefox, Firefox Beta, Aurora, Nightly.

There also some kind of slow release Firefox, I forget what it's called.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Read posted:

There also some kind of slow release Firefox, I forget what it's called.

Extended Support Release.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The reason some people use Nightly or Waterfox is that they are 64-bit builds. If you want a browser that works, use Firefox or Firefox Beta. Chrome is still 32-bit too, after all.

If you are an absolute 64-bit die hard, then you can try in order of decreasing stability / increasingly bleeding edge: Waterfox, Cyberfox, Nightly.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I stuck with Aurora, thanks guys. I flipped between beta and dev build of Chrome, so this should work.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

xamphear posted:

Money has to be a real problem for Mozilla right now. Their current contract with Google ends in November of this year, and there's absolutely no way that they're going to be able to re-sign it at the current $300 million a year rate. Firefox simply doesn't have the market share it used to, and it's been losing it to Google's own Chrome. That combined with them pulling this ad thing out of their rear end must mean someone over at Mozilla is scrambling.

All of this just makes me continue to wonder... What the heck does Mozilla do with $300 million dollars a year?
I think Google will keep paying Mozilla as long as they want to keep the anti-trust regulators off their back. Not that the browser market is all that big of a factor in Google's Internet monopoly, but it seems to me that it serves them well to be able to say "We encourage competition, look, we give one of our major competitors major development money!" The same way Microsoft bailed out Apple when they were about to go under in the late 90's in the middle of their own anti-trust suit.

As a side note, Firefox, what's up with this? Why so angry?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

jink posted:

Why would you stick with Nightly? That's the most unstable branch of Firefox.

Not technically; the most unstable branch would be mozilla-inbound. Nightly comes from mozilla-central, and mozilla-inbound only merges to mozilla-central once a day or so. To be fair, mozilla-inbound doesn't have pre-built versions available, but it's useful to know that even on Nightly, you're not getting code that's freshly landed in the tree; it's actually sat around for a day or so to ensure that it doesn't horribly break everything.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
With Waterfox 27.0.1 I get pages randomly flashing black, and it's not happening on Firefox 27.0.1 - anyone else have that happen?

My laptop has both Intel HD Graphics 3000 and NVidia GeForce GT 540M graphics, and in waterfox it happens whether the NVidia control panel is set to force Waterfox to the integrated or nvidia card, and doesn't happen at all for Firefox. It also happens with extensions all disabled, or all enabled, but again, only on Waterfoc.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 21, 2014

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Avenging Dentist posted:

Not technically; the most unstable branch would be mozilla-inbound. Nightly comes from mozilla-central, and mozilla-inbound only merges to mozilla-central once a day or so. To be fair, mozilla-inbound doesn't have pre-built versions available, but it's useful to know that even on Nightly, you're not getting code that's freshly landed in the tree; it's actually sat around for a day or so to ensure that it doesn't horribly break everything.

On the other hand, after Nightly updated yesterday the screen is flashing black whenever anything is redrawn, like when I'm scrolling or there's animations or whatever. It's not that stable.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but is there anything like an extension that will automatically expand [timg] images? It's kind of a pain to read pyf image threads and have to click on every single link, even though the full image displays fine on my monitor.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Is there a newer site than userscripts.org for greasemonkey scripts? I thought I'd browse what's available for greasemonkey, but that site is completely unsearchable because it's infested with spam and malware to a point where I can't imagine anyone can still use it. Has the world moved onto a new site? Are greasemonkey-etc. scripts basically dead in favor of browser add-ons/user styles?

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
The useful ones seem to be extremely few and far between now. Needle in a haystack type of thing.

Extensions and add-ons seem to be the way to go now.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
That's about what I'd figured. What a shame. Okay, thanks!

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Facebook Messenger for Firefox will shut down on March 3.

I'm pretty sad about this. I loved the integration when it first debuted. But Facebook let it go to poo poo, and shortly after it debuted, it was just broken all the time. I'm not surprised they're abandoning it, but this is still sad news.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Maybe Firefox can integrate with Myspace.

Soon everyone the world over will be junior HTML coders!

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Fangs404 posted:

Facebook Messenger for Firefox will shut down on March 3.

I'm pretty sad about this. I loved the integration when it first debuted. But Facebook let it go to poo poo, and shortly after it debuted, it was just broken all the time. I'm not surprised they're abandoning it, but this is still sad news.

Is this a browser extension? Are they still maintaining a browser extension for Chrome?

Probably doesn't get used much, and would be better as a standalone app to be honest.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

wooger posted:

Is this a browser extension? Are they still maintaining a browser extension for Chrome?

Probably doesn't get used much, and would be better as a standalone app to be honest.

No, this was built into Firefox. No extension necessary. It used the Social API.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
The only people I've heard upset about it was tech people. I think everyone else just kept a Facebook tab open or logged in when their phone went off.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Has anyone had this start happening for certain images in the last couple months? It's kind of a cool throwback to the eye-raping CGA era, but I'm assuming it's not intentional. It's rare, but it's happened on enough of a variety of sites that I can't believe it's all issues with the image files themselves. They display fine if you view them in other programs.

The page in my image: http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/maint/ra/ra99.htm

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Knormal posted:

Has anyone had this start happening for certain images in the last couple months? It's kind of a cool throwback to the eye-raping CGA era, but I'm assuming it's not intentional. It's rare, but it's happened on enough of a variety of sites that I can't believe it's all issues with the image files themselves. They display fine if you view them in other programs.
Make sure you have the latest video drivers from your GPU manufacturer's website (nVidia, Intel, or AMD).

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Alereon posted:

Make sure you have the latest video drivers from your GPU manufacturer's website (nVidia, Intel, or AMD).
I do, and I probably should have mentioned I'm on Linux. I haven't checked to see if I have the same symptoms on my Intel GPU laptop as on my Nvidia desktop, next time I'm on my laptop if I remember I'll look.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Knormal posted:

I do, and I probably should have mentioned I'm on Linux. I haven't checked to see if I have the same symptoms on my Intel GPU laptop as on my Nvidia desktop, next time I'm on my laptop if I remember I'll look.

It might not be the same problem, but I had similar problems with the (buggy) binary Nvidia driver. In solved the problem by loving around with the color controls in the control panel.

Maybe switch to the open-source one, if that's feasible for you or vice versa.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

gently caress, quote is not edit.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Did the navigation bar background colour change to grey for anyone else in today's Aurora update?

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Did the navigation bar background colour change to grey for anyone else in today's Aurora update?

Nope.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

I take it you're not using any variant of Windows 8?

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I take it you're not using any variant of Windows 8?

Correct! Windows 7 on my desktop.

Just updated laptop (running 8.1) though & it still looks white to me. Try safe mode maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
I'm using 27.0.1 and I really like the responsive design thing in the dev tools. But does the screen shot button not work? I click it and nothing happens. It doesn't ask me where to save a screenshot, and I don't see anything new in "My Documents" or "My Photos". I don't see an option in the dev tools config to set where the screenshots should be saved to. Anyone know whats up with this?