Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yoshifan823 posted:

Jackie O says hi.

(Joke response: Marilyn Monroe)

(Super Joke response: Hillary Clinton)

(Super Super Joke response: she's got 3 years until Bill takes over "most stylish First Lady")
Wait, Jackie O wasn't the joke response? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Will no. :smith:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Now this is what The Tonight Show needs to be about: Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake doing a medley of rap hits from the last couple decades together :allears:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The Tonight Show:
I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one
Move, bitch, get outta the way
I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one

Maybe it's that the Letterman theater looks huge on TV, but this crowd feels smallish for a Tonight Show. It's slightly larger than Colbert, but looks small compared to Dave or Kimmel. It reminds me of Dave's Late Night, actually.

ODC
Jul 8, 2005

Is this sexy?

Craptacular! posted:

It reminds me of Dave's Late Night, actually.

Dave and Conan's Late Night was filmed accross the hall in a nearly identical studio: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_Night_with_Jimmy_Fallon#Production

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Jimmy Fallon really played this week perfect, just pitch-perfect. He's getting to do Tonight his own way and it's working so well. Had Conan been extended like respect... (Jimmy, of course, never has a masturbating bear on; Conan's old show was quite blue, and it's one of Jimmy's strengths that he works mostly clean, as he does it so well.)

If you told me in 2004 that ten years from now, the first African-American First Lady would be on the Tonight Show in New York, in a sketch with the host, Jimmy "Breaking" Fallon, and Will "Goulet" Ferrell, both of whom had just left SNL; that Late Night would be hosted by Seth "Zinger" Meyers, with Fred "Fericito" Armisen leading his band; and that Lorne "Bud" Michaels would finally add Tonight to his crown, making him one of the most powerful men at NBC, I'd ask you who you were because I had no friends back then.

If it wasn't clear before, SNL is the gateway to NBC's legendary late night kingdom.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Conan didn't have the Masturbating Bear on the Tonight Show until after it was apparent he was on the way out. I wouldn't say Conan's ever been a particularly blue show. Weird, edgy, and innovative, maybe, but I wouldn't say blue.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Well, which would you feel better about watching with your niece or whatever who's 11. Think about it for a minute. Conan's pretty blue, maybe not by 90s standards, but today, definitely. Pop in any old Late Night and there'll probably be something that would make you blush.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I'd say 11 year olds shouldn't be watching late night TV. Fallon might be a nice clean-cut successor to Jay Leno, but in my opinion that's not necessarily a great thing. But it has an audience obviously.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Still finding it hard to believe that they fan that Nick spoof in the first week of a new show. It's like they walked to the SNL studio and asked them for the absolute worst sketch anyone has ever devised, preferably as long as possible. Most of the rest of the week was pretty good - the Brian Williams thing was a really, really good example of those cut ups. Incredible well done, and awesome when the other hosts kicked in.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Seth's monologue feels really flat, but I can't really put my finger on what's giving me that feeling. First night jitters?

Feels like the quick bits on Weekend Update but a bit more forced or something.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Seth's monologue is pretty much Weekend Update without a desk.

I really like his set though. It's different, but in a good way.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
So this is basically weekend update.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

The REAL Goobusters posted:

So this is basically weekend update.

Jussssstt not nearly as funny.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I liked his interplay with Fred and his personal story about the flat tire. Don't see that stuff too often.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Yeah, I like Fred Armison.

Seth seems so much more comfortable behind the desk. He seemed really nervous during the monologue.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Jussssstt not nearly as funny.

He's already doing better than Fallon on his first Late Night, but I suspect he's gonna need a few months to settle in anyway.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I had pink eye before and it didn't look anything like that. :colbert:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DivisionPost posted:

He's already doing better than Fallon on his first Late Night, but I suspect he's gonna need a few months to settle in anyway.

Yeah. Way better than Fallon's first one.

That Venn Diagram skit felt like an old Conan style sketch.

EDIT: The Costas Vision graphic was amazing.

EDIT 2: Figure skating anouncers doing other sports was hilarious.

X-O fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 25, 2014

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Deadpool posted:

Yeah. Way better than Fallon's first one.

Admittedly a low bar; that first episode might as well have been called Late Night With Jimmy Fallon's Flop Sweat. Still, I think he's keeping steady and can grow.

quote:

That Venn Diagram skit felt like an old Conan style sketch.

Yeah, he's actually got Conan's sense of humor, but his delivery's as dry as the Sahara. He's very even-toned and direct where Conan would really lean into it.

Jenga Jim
Apr 13, 2004
Master of Disguise
It seems like the writing for Seth's show is really weak. Or is it his nervousness? It just all feels bland and unoriginal. I think Seth might have to grow a bit as a performer to establish the right tone for the show. Either way I'm sure it'll get better. I just hope they can do more sketches and less jokes. They hired way more sketch writers than joke writers-- it's ridiculous.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
drat Fred is really good on this. But Seth is just a bit bland or vanilla I guess. He's not really offensively bad but he's just there.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Picking Amy as a first guest was a billion times smarter than loving Robert De Niro.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Biden's a railfan! :3:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oops, I forgot to watch/DVR Seth Meyers' first show :ohdear: Guess I'll catch tomorrow night's episode and see what it's like.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Yeah, he's much more comfortable than Fallon was when he started, but he's also pretty bland and basic so far. Which makes sense, being his first show and all, but certainly not exciting. Also, he hasn't mentioned Conan or Dave yet.

Also, "Celebrity Game Night" on NBC. Did they just take one of Fallon's bits and make a whole show out of it?

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm
Mar 22, 2004

M-E-M-P-H-I-S
How did Seth do with the guests? I actually had relatively higher hopes for this show since I think he's a decent personality, but the first act was so painfully bad I ended up going to sleep. That had to have been the most unnatural, uncomfortable monologue I've ever seen and Fred Armisen as the house band was about as bad as I anticipated. I like Portlandia, but outside of that I guess I just don't "get" his style. And the band sounded like some generic house band from a late nighties episode of Premium Blend or something. Ugh, just really awful.

I will probably check back a few episodes in and see if Seth improves in the role. I agree, he was much better behind the desk than during the monologue. I have admittedly been pretty pessimistic, but I still don't see myself watching any late night shows on NBC.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
I was just hoping Seth would use a different format. Monolog, chat with bandleader, desk bit, 1st guest, 2nd guest, musical group. Jesus H. Christ is it in the US Constitution and the Holy loving Bible that's how all talks shows must be done?

Also they had one chair out there, then poof, another one appears before Biden walks out. Just seems wierd. Also could that desk be any cheezier. Did they rent the furniture?

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

If you want different watch the Pete Holmes show (which just came back last night). As a personality he's hit-or-miss but I like his format. A skit, 5 minutes of standup, another skit, 3 minutes with the guest (where they usually talk about nothing really) and ending with another skit or in-studio bit. It's not a great show, but it has it's moments.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I think I made it about 2 minutes into Myers' show. Wow that house band is really bad. How can you have a late night band without horn players?? It simply isn't done. It's in the rule book.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Only redeeming bit of Seth's show were the guests. Biden ruled.

Was Fallon always this good?

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm
Mar 22, 2004

M-E-M-P-H-I-S

The Duke posted:

If you want different watch the Pete Holmes show (which just came back last night). As a personality he's hit-or-miss but I like his format. A skit, 5 minutes of standup, another skit, 3 minutes with the guest (where they usually talk about nothing really) and ending with another skit or in-studio bit. It's not a great show, but it has it's moments.

Agreed. His style doesn't always work for me, but when he's on, he's spot on. I have grown quite fond of him over the last year and Impregnated With Wonder was such a great album. I really like that he keeps his stand up style for his monologues.

Speaking of Pete Holmes, did anyone see the new episode last night? Was it just me or was it a bit disappointing? Didn't seem to come back from the hiatus with much gusto, but it's only one episode and they can't all be winners.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Quest For Glory II posted:

How can you have a late night band without horn players?? It simply isn't done. It's in the rule book.

The World's Most Dangerous Band would like to have a word with you.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

PowerBuilder3 posted:

Also they had one chair out there, then poof, another one appears before Biden walks out. Just seems wierd.

This is probably the strangest thing someone could complain about.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

InfiniteZero posted:

The World's Most Dangerous Band would like to have a word with you.
But they occasionally have horns.
I know it doesn't count for brass but David Sandborn would come in with his alto sax on Fridays for years.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Steve Vader posted:

Also, "Celebrity Game Night" on NBC. Did they just take one of Fallon's bits and make a whole show out of it?

It's NBC, so sure, sounds like something they'd do.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh my god, that fuckup on Conan was amazing. It just kept getting worse and worse and Jeff (his producer) had to tell him what to do and he just couldn't stop laughing about it :allears:

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I love Jimmy's Adam Sandler impression.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Oh my god, that fuckup on Conan was amazing. It just kept getting worse and worse and Jeff (his producer) had to tell him what to do and he just couldn't stop laughing about it :allears:

That's the kind of thing that only happens on Conan and it's always magic when it happens.

"You know what most talk show hosts do Andy?"

"Hold up a box right?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Obviously it's way too early to make a judgement on Meyers or the show, but I felt like that entire monologue bombed pretty bad; it was pretty uncomfortable throughout. The pacing just felt unnatural, for whatever reason it comes across way different than when he's sitting behind a desk with a nifty graphic to the side.