Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

coffeetable posted:

Arrow keys move the camera and function keys select abilities.

You can also bind keys in bgconfig to actions like Cast Spell/Special Ability, Thievery etc. (Which you seem to have discovered if you've been binding individual spells)

I'll normally bind cast spell to C, so then magic missile/cure light wounds generally become C -> F1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

coffeetable posted:

Arrow keys move the camera and function keys select abilities.

Exactly. And that's exactly what I'd like to see change.

In BG, it's impossible to bind the camera movement keys to WASD so you have to swap your hand right back-and-forth between the mouse and the arrow keys to move the camera. Call me lazy if you want but there's no denying that this control layout is incredibly dated. I'm just saying I hope there's a more flexible solution in Pillars than there was in BG.

And personally, I think it would be a lot easier to play the game if the standard number key row could be used for both party member selection and spell selection depending on which menu you're in.

You could go even further and do something like make the tab key a modifier and set things up like 1-3 and Tab+1-3 for party member selection and then while a party member is selected, bind 1-5 and Tab+1-5 for the first 10 spells on the selected character's cast bar. You could have instant access to almost every ability available to your entire party and wouldn't even have to move your hand. Basically, what I'm saying is that one key per one ability is incredibly inefficient for a game with tons and tons of abilities on tap and I hope a more elegant solution is found than the one implemented in the BG games.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 23, 2014

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'd like to see areas and dungeons marked as "cleared" on the map when you clear it. (Like skyrim)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Gyshall posted:

I'd like to see areas and dungeons marked as "cleared" on the map when you clear it. (Like skyrim)
That ruins any sense of "I may have to come back here" that does come up with some of the older games. Things arent always "cleared" like the action games.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Oh man I'd love to have a "cleared" marker on the map.

The Sharmat posted:

That's sick. Seek help.

EDIT: I'm detecting some distinctly anti-sylvan sentiments in this video. Rope Kid: Secret dwarven sympathizer?

Elves are vermin.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

A 'cleared' marker on Skyrim's map was necessary beause almost all the dungeons were same-y and it was important to tell the player if they've cleaned this one out sixty hours ago. I'd imagine that in Eternity there are fewer dungeons but they will be more unique and memorable to the player.

SoggyBobcat fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 23, 2014

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Gyshall posted:

"Cleared" areas in Skyrim are misleading and inconsistent.

The game would only mark a portion of qualifying dungeons as "cleared." The scripting itself was buggy and prone to failure.

More importantly, "cleared" areas still respawn with the same type of enemies. Strangely, the former occupants' gruesome murders do not ward off the next batch of bandits plaguing Skyrim.

A better idea would be allowing players to add notations to maps e.g. earlier Infinity Engine games.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Merry Magpie posted:

"Cleared" areas in Skyrim are misleading and inconsistent.

The game would only mark a portion of qualifying dungeons as "cleared." The scripting itself was buggy and prone to failure.

More importantly, "cleared" areas still respawn with the same type of enemies. Strangely, the former occupants' gruesome murders do not ward off the next batch of bandits plaguing Skyrim.

A better idea would be allowing players to add notations to maps e.g. earlier Infinity Engine games.

It doesn't stop people from moving into haunted houses in the movies either.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Merry Magpie posted:

Much, much better than a binary "Cleared" tag. I think annotations are already in, right? Or did I make that up?

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
Also, allow using the middle mouse button to drag/scroll around. This is essential.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Notations are a good system, forget my suggestion about Skyrim.

Also josh i like the same things you like in rpgs!

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Our local maps will support dropping notes and should also note what area transitions have been used. We won't have a "cleared" indicator, however.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Update #73: Narrative Design: A Day in the Life, Companion Goals, and the Undead

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/65206-update-73-narrative-design-a-day-in-the-life-companion-goals-and-the-undead/

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
I love that in the update he directs hatemail to Brandon's address. That kind of levity is what makes independent studios great.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
What a fun update. Loved it. :)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

quote:

What you have just done is experienced the full continuum of undeath. Corporeal undead in this world all suffer from the same malady, and are merely in different stages of decomposition. How do you get this condition? It's usually something that you would get by commissioning an unscrupulous animancer to help you live forever, or by volunteering for a "harmless clinical trial." These ladies and gentlemen have been studying a certain banned piece of literature known as the Theorems of Padgram and are trying to develop a true path to immortality. But there are supposedly other ways - certain alchemical tinctures, ancient architecturally-embedded machinery, self-pleasure (according to some disapproving Dyrwoodan moms), etc.

You start as a fampyr. (And these names are not different-for-the-sake-of-different - they're just following location-appropriate linguistic rules.) By appearances, you're basically a normal person who is going through a bit of a cannibal phase.
Allow yourself to decompose for a while, and you start to lose control of your urges, and your memory begins to slip away. Your self-consciousness is flimsy. You are now what's called a dargul.
Much more decomposition, and you become bestial. Your hair is gone (if it wasn't already), the flesh sags on your bones, and you live only to feed your hunger. You are a gul, but you don't give it much thought at this point. You just think you are hungry.
Then your mind gets really pretty thoroughly rotted, like what happens if you play a lot of FPSes, and you're only running at the basest level of instinct. You have no memory. You, my friend, are a revenant, and you are not very fun at parties.
After the last bit of flesh falls away, and the last mildly complicated neural synaptic path fires for the final time, you're running on pure reflex. You're not even hungry anymore (no stomach!). Your body is a murderous automaton. You are a skeleton, and your next step is dust.

:siren: Umbrella Corporation confirmed for PoE! :siren:

Seriously though that genuinely sounds pretty gross and freaky, nice job with the body-horror angle to whoever wrote that.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Fancy.

So, with the known ability to bind souls to flesh and have them return, have any desperate armies tried to create a host of fampyr? After all, the eating-flesh bit isn't so bad if they're an army eating the flesh of the conquered, and its hard to lose wars when your army is composed of undead. Well, harder, at least. Still sounds like something a country/people in danger of being overrun would try.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I like that explanation of undeath. Definitely feels more 'realistic' than systems where the undead can potentially just be amoral humans who smell bad and live forever.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Loved the spirit of that update, and the explanation of the stages of being Undead is pretty drat interesting.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The gul and the revenant seem a little redundant. One is bestial, one is running on your basest instincts?

One has clumped wisps of hair, one has less hair than that?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Mechanically, they're ghouls and zombies.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

rope kid posted:

Respectively?

So one has a faster rate of movement, et cetera? Do some undead run in packs or have some sort of hierarchy?

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, Pallegina's a fine name, but I will never not giggle at "fampyr". I'm sorry.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Obsidian would be NJPW fans, smdh

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

rope kid posted:

Sweet. Flavor wise, you guys are really making stuff interesting.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Thanks in advance to whoever tracks and catalogs the AMA.

The "scale" of undeath is an interesting concept. My question would be: Does undeath progress like a cancer or autoimmune illness? By which I mean, can a fampyr stave off degeneration given a steady diet of flesh or is the descent from dead-but-mostly-there person to mindless eating machine something that inevitably cascades over time and will inevitably happen on a timetable starting from the point of death? Is flesh an addictive substance that you develop tolerance toward? It's not hard to imagine a Devil In the White City-esque predatory harvester hiding in plain sight, or cultivating a herd in some hamlet, or an fampyr nobleman dealing or blackmailing his living friends into offering up their servants and subjects.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
At what point is a binding to the body broken? If I club a skeleton until each bone has been separated from the others, is the soul released at that point, or do I have to vaporize/obliterate the body?

edit: Does binding the soul to the body protect against the soul-shearing winds in the megadungeon?

Cicero fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 26, 2014

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Here is the AMA going right now:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1yy4v7/we_are_obsidian_eternity_team_ask_us_anything/

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

The Crotch posted:

Okay, Pallegina's a fine name, but I will never not giggle at "fampyr". I'm sorry.

It can't help when the devs make an off handed joke that instead of going blind, youths are warned that jerking it turns them to fampyrs.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
That update was a pleasure to read, but the best part was the line saying next update is about druids and wizards. :science:

Basic Chunnel posted:

Yes please. Reddit's structure is horrible to read. :corsair:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I notice Sawyer's not doing the AMA :v:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Basic Chunnel posted:

Obsidian would be NJPW fans, smdh

This is the most final fantasy thing I've seen in real life that wasn't immediately embarrassing to look at.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Basic Chunnel posted:

The "scale" of undeath is an interesting concept. My question would be: Does undeath progress like a cancer or autoimmune illness? By which I mean, can a fampyr stave off degeneration given a steady diet of flesh or is the descent from dead-but-mostly-there person to mindless eating machine something that inevitably cascades over time and will inevitably happen on a timetable starting from the point of death? Is flesh an addictive substance that you develop tolerance toward? It's not hard to imagine a Devil In the White City-esque predatory harvester hiding in plain sight, or cultivating a herd in some hamlet, or an fampyr nobleman dealing or blackmailing his living friends into offering up their servants and subjects.
They literally say it stops when you eat people. But I assume that your flesh once it dies can't regrow. So once you start actually rotting to a large degree it just is a big snowball rolling downhill.

You can stop it, but not regenerate.

quote:

So you eat some guys. And lo and behold, the decomposition stops! You're cured! Except that after a while, you start to rot again. Over time, you find that eating folks and absorbing the essence from their flesh is the only way to stop decomposition.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Predicting a Hannibal cameo

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Seriously, fampyr army. "Hey guys, if you win, you keep looking normal! if you lose, well...don't lose, because we're kind of the flesh-eating bad guys now."

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

StashAugustine posted:

I notice Sawyer's not doing the AMA :v:
I was running a combat playthrough today and was going around getting feedback from people. Sorry I couldn't make it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I was making a "reddit is awful" joke.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

rope kid posted:

I was running a combat playthrough today and was going around getting feedback from people. Sorry I couldn't make it.

How'd it go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

User0015 posted:

How'd it go?
Pretty well. The pace of combat is still too fast, but that will soon be remedied. The other major issues are mostly UI/feedback related, which was expected. We already had plans to address most of the bigger problems.

• Locked thread