Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

Debbie Metallica posted:

Why is the mariculture mod so frustrating to me.

Ugh, this mod started off so good. There was just enough...some world gen, cool fishes, and a little bit of tech. Then it went to hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Whew, at first I thought y'all were talking about Aquaculture and I was wondering how the hell the creator managed to gently caress up a simple fishing mod when I wasn't looking.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Blacktooth posted:

Ugh, this mod started off so good. There was just enough...some world gen, cool fishes, and a little bit of tech. Then it went to hell.

I sort of enjoyed setting up an oyster farm but beyond that everything just seems really frustrating. It took me ages to figure out just how to get the right freakin' rod going for fishing.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I have beem diving through config files from modpacks to try and figure out how the hell adding recipies works, and I came across some choice comments in toast's config file:

quote:

//recipes for meteors because gently caress waiting a million years

quote:

//recipe for transmuting meteors to raw meteoric iron because
//gently caress requiring fifteen seconds to harvest each meteor

quote:

//recipe for oxygen concentrators because gently caress using that much tin

quote:

//remove retarded shapeless plate recipe(s) gently caress YOU UE you twat

quote:

//Remove quantum battery box as it fucks chunks in the face
:allears: never change Ghostseven.

also, because too many of my posts have been me asking for tech support, here is a fun image of what happens when worldgen mods collide.

edit: I...I just had to make another folder and put the mod.js there? It can't be in the config/customstuff/mods folder? Okay then CustomStuff, not sure where I was supposed to figure that out from.

Ash Rose fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 25, 2014

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
After bitching about running low on gold and iron, I decided to go all-out and build a digital miner. I set its radius to 30 and gave it a bunch of ore names I cared about. 5,000+ harvests later, I don't have resource problems anymore. That sure did eat up a lot of power. I think I had 8 compression dynamos running at once, and it still slowed down.

Is there a list of these ore names somewhere that I can look up to make entering easier? I figured out some of the basics, but imagine I could have acquired more.

I still haven't resorted to properly pumping out any of the oil. I've almost emptied out one spot from having to run this whole digital miner gig. After I got that up, I wound up just being an ore ferret. I got some more 4k modules so there was just the job in itself of getting all the ore out in time for more to pile in. During my travels I figured out the SAG mill can give me a few bonuses grinding iron in it, so I was busy feeding that thing. And then there was the smelting.

I guess I'm due to run this thing in the Nether next.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Does anyone know a page or tool that can generate islands or mountain shapes for me? I've given up on writing stable Island World Ages (no matter what I leave in or out after every one has had extra materials added, including some client-crashing, server-lagging bottomless oceans, so I've gone back to voids. At least I know how to make those work.
My problem is that I really, really suck at designing stuff that isn't geometrically simple and/or elegant. I can't do natural shapes at all. Basically, what I want is Plotz but for mountains/islands/icebergs.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

axelsoar posted:

:allears: never change Ghostseven.

I believe those were partially G7 and partially strawman, maybe some Edminster too (specifically the meteor stuff.)

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there a list of these ore names somewhere that I can look up to make entering easier? I figured out some of the basics, but imagine I could have acquired more.

Most of them are simple, oreIron, oreGold, oreCopper, oreOsmium, etc. Some are a little odd; TE's ferrous ore is oreNickel. Most of Metallurgy's have spaces in them and you can't put the full thing in the digiminer; 'oreDeep Iron' can be found with just 'oreDeep*'.) If you have it turned on in NEI's config and go a section or two to the left when looking at the uses of an ore (point at it and press U or right-click on it) it should show you the oredict name and matches.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Feb 25, 2014

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

m2pt5 posted:

I believe those were partially G7 and partially strawman, maybe some Edminster too (specifically the meteor stuff.)

Yeah the Galacticraft recipes (and Forestry mail ones if those ever went in) were definitely me. The trouble with Galacticraft is that an obsidian-rated pick is absolutely required to mine anything of value, but all of the dirt mines as fast as netherrack. So you end up either wasting a bunch of time on every meteor with a diamond pick, or you blast through it and 5-6 blocks around it using your souped-up Tinkerpick.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013
Are there any blocks added by mods that are resistant to wither blasts? I think warded stone used to do this.

GhostSeven
Apr 23, 2005

Yesterday Was A Million Years Ago

m2pt5 posted:

Most of them are simple, oreIron, oreGold, oreCopper, oreOsmium, etc. Some are a little odd; TE's ferrous ore is oreNickel. Most of Metallurgy's have spaces in them and you can't put the full thing in the digiminer; 'oreDeep Iron' can be found with just 'oreDeep*'.) If you have it turned on in NEI's config and go a section or two to the left when looking at the uses of an ore (point at it and press U or right-click on it) it should show you the oredict name and matches.

Yea was all three of us, mine were the UE ones and the chunk loving.. god dam did I have a love / hate with UE in that pack.

Actually the worse one was the loving shapeless plate ones, I recall that making me burn with hate.

GhostSeven fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Feb 25, 2014

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

After bitching about running low on gold and iron, I decided to go all-out and build a digital miner. I set its radius to 30 and gave it a bunch of ore names I cared about. 5,000+ harvests later, I don't have resource problems anymore. That sure did eat up a lot of power. I think I had 8 compression dynamos running at once, and it still slowed down.

I still haven't resorted to properly pumping out any of the oil. I've almost emptied out one spot from having to run this whole digital miner gig. After I got that up, I wound up just being an ore ferret. I got some more 4k modules so there was just the job in itself of getting all the ore out in time for more to pile in. During my travels I figured out the SAG mill can give me a few bonuses grinding iron in it, so I was busy feeding that thing. And then there was the smelting.

I guess I'm due to run this thing in the Nether next.

If you just put ' ore* ' it will pull up almost every ore in the game.
NEI also has an option to show you ore dictionary entries for items when you mouse over them. From your Inventory screen, press Options, then NEI Plugins, Options for Developers, and turn the top option on. Quite handy when using things like the digiminer or fuzzy buses.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Sunblood posted:

If you just put ' ore* ' it will pull up almost every ore in the game.
NEI also has an option to show you ore dictionary entries for items when you mouse over them. From your Inventory screen, press Options, then NEI Plugins, Options for Developers, and turn the top option on. Quite handy when using things like the digiminer or fuzzy buses.
I ended up doing an ore* run on a smaller area after getting the stuff I particularly needed in the first pass. It worked out pretty well that way. I'll look at that option for when I move this thing around to pull out more junk.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I ended up doing an ore* run on a smaller area after getting the stuff I particularly needed in the first pass. It worked out pretty well that way. I'll look at that option for when I move this thing around to pull out more junk.

Another useful one is ' Glow* ' for Glowstone, if you're ever running it in the Nether. Case sensitive, so don't forget the capital G.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

chippocrates posted:

Are there any blocks added by mods that are resistant to wither blasts? I think warded stone used to do this.

Thaumcraft 4.1 adds a new wand focus that lets you apply the warding effect to just about any non-tile entity block, which makes the block indestructible, even to wither explosions.

Unfortunately, the focus requires a nether star to make.

MFFS can also contain a wither.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
1 Fusion Reactor
4 Chemical Extractors
32 Steam Funnels
128 Steam Dynamos
9,600 RF/t of usable power

The fins were an accident (microblock covers to tidy up the ugly grid of pipes). And it wasn't until I finished and backed up a bit to look at the whole thing that I realised I'd made a giant fusion bomb. Accidentally appropriate.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 25, 2014

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood
Another massive update to the NST Diet pack this morning, and now we're running ThaumCraft 4.1.0e.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
That fusion reactor is pretty crazy. I don't know what the hell is going with that stuff. Why did you do it up in the atmosphere?

Is there a way to automatically separate oil and water? It looks like I might as well start going oil pump crazy, and I just want to make sure I don't screw it up with a little bit of water.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Ok, is there an easy way to transfer the contents of an ME storage cell into a bank of drives? My workshop is located in a Dimdoors Pocket and I offload all the digital miner goodies into a ME chest and I would like to have a quick and easy way to just unload everything in it into my mass storage and then take the empty cell back to the chest.

EDIT: Disregard I am a massive idiot for not checking to make sure that there wasn't a tool just for doing that.

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 25, 2014

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

GotLag posted:

1 Fusion Reactor
4 Chemical Extractors
32 Steam Funnels
128 Steam Dynamos
9,600 RF/t of usable power

The fins were an accident (microblock covers to tidy up the ugly grid of pipes). And it wasn't until I finished and backed up a bit to look at the whole thing that I realised I'd made a giant fusion bomb. Accidentally appropriate.

How many chunks does that cover? Could you get away with shoving a couple chunkloaders and a tesseract in there and make Megaton supply free power to the wasteland?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
One chunk (it's a 15x15 sphere) and it's already supplied with 5 tesseracts embedded near the top.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

mechaet posted:

Another massive update to the NST Diet pack this morning, and now we're running ThaumCraft 4.1.0e.

Will updates be coming to NST Fat when Diet stabilizes, or should I just look at moving to Diet?

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

bbcisdabomb posted:

Will updates be coming to NST Fat when Diet stabilizes, or should I just look at moving to Diet?

I would suggest moving to Fatty regardless unless you feel like you can't live without Buildcraft/Railcraft/Forestry (you can.) Especially if you're looking to play online, the server we have is pretty well populated.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sunblood posted:

I would suggest moving to from Fatty regardless unless you feel like you can't live without Buildcraft/Railcraft/Forestry (you can.) Especially if you're looking to play online, the server we have is pretty well populated.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

That fusion reactor is pretty crazy. I don't know what the hell is going with that stuff. Why did you do it up in the atmosphere?

It's pretty straightforward. The multi-block fusion structure (reactor plus containment ring) heats up adjacent water blocks. Steam funnels directly above the heated water blocks produce steam, which is carried by fluiducts to steam dynamos to generate power.
The fusion reactor takes deuterium and power as inputs. Four chemical extractors produce just barely enough deuterium to keep it running permanently (although I think it might work just as well with one, as the water keeps producing steam even when the reactor is off, until it cools). The deuterium is piped into the top of the reactor and the dynamos running the chemical extractors (the ones in the centre) also feed into a tesseract which takes power to the reactor. I built it this way so I can just turn off that centre tesseract to shut down the reactor, as it requires power to initiate each fusion cycle. This design also keeps the reactor's self-sustaining power separate from the output power, so there's never any competition.
The other four tesseracts on the top are just taking combined output from each bank of dynamos and carrying it to my base.

The modpack we're running (Resonant Rise) appears to have a hosed-up power conversion ratio (seems to be diving RF by 10 instead of multiplying), so the chemical extractors are only drawing something like 2 RF/t total, as is the fusion reactor. Using the numbers from Applied Energistics' page, it should be 200 RF/t for the four extractors and 250 RF/t for the reactor initiation. Although I could actually power the extractors and reactor with a single dynamo, this setup should work with the correct ratio too.

As for why it's in the atmosphere, it's in a Mystcraft void Age. That is to say, a dimension containing nothing but empty sky (and some Natura butts). It's in the void because I built my first reactor under my base and everything was fine until I turned it on and my client framerate was crippled (I'm thinking it's the hot water blocks or more probably the steam funnels, as it persists for some time after the fusion stops), so I moved it to a void and chunkloaded it.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

Right, this.

Tsubasa2004
Feb 14, 2003

GotLag posted:

Does anyone know a page or tool that can generate islands or mountain shapes for me?

My recommendation would be to find a terrain feature you like in a test world, then map that world with Minutor. Minutor can display "slices" of the world you can then just recreate, one layer at a time. I recall there wasn't a decent zoom option though, and I had to paste screenshots into Paint and blow 'em up there.

It's quite a bit more involved than Plotz, but binvox is another option. Binvox converts a 3d models into voxel diagrams very similar to a Plotz diagram (except you can rotate them in 3d, etc). Then you'd just need a 3d mountain model, which you can find pretty easily by googling mountain .obj or going to a repository like Turbosquid and sorting by lowest price (plenty of free models for most keywords)

Tsubasa2004 fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 26, 2014

salttotart
Mar 29, 2010

What's my favorite thing?
I just started up a whitelist Resonant Rise server for any goons that are interested. Anyone can message me for whitelist access.

192.99.18.143:25690

Default version of Resonant Rise, all extra mods except EnderNet and Underground Biomes.

Look forward to people joining in!

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

bbcisdabomb posted:

Diet is getting all the updates right now; theoretically I could backport the updates, but no one plays Fatty (according to the statistics, anyway) so I haven't been worrying too hard on it. If that's a request for me to update that pack, I'll certainly spin it up next week and see what I can do but this week is me prepping for a move of our overworld over to ATG and the fatty server machine is currently crunching an 8km radius circle of terrain so I don't have a machine to test the updates with.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

salttotart posted:

I just started up a whitelist Resonant Rise server for any goons that are interested. Anyone can message me for whitelist access.

Default version of Resonant Rise, all extra mods except EnderNet and Underground Biomes.

You may want to start an actual thread in PGS if you haven't already.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
So I've set up a set of pylons from AE to store and recall rooms... next step is to make a computercraft system to let you select from a variety of landscapes by clicking on a big ole' monitor.

Is there a good tutorial for setting up GUIs using computercraft and advanced monitors? I've got some experience in programming so I can do the rest once I get my grubby mitts on the appropriate calls and maybe a good example.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Fun fact re: Spatial Pylons in Applied Energistics

When you flip the switch to run 'em through the spatial IO port, they only encode for the contents the FIRST time you run them through. After that, they swap their contents with the area within the pylons. So if you put a fresh 1283 storage unit into, say, your rooftop garden pylons with a dimension of 27 x 27 x 12, it'll store that much garden. And then when you run it through again, it won't 'empty' the cell, it'll just replace the cell contents with a 27 x 27 x 12 block of air.

Which means if you try to empty a cell so you can take it somewhere else to snag an interesting landmark in a set of pylons measuring 14 x 14 x 25, it won't let the swap occur because there's no room for 27 x 27 x 12 empty space inside of those four pylons. And you will then spend like two hours trying to get the drat thing to work, with no UI and no feedback to tell you what's wrong, all because that empty storage isn't the same thing as a new empty storage, even though there's no difference in the tooltip or the meta data.

Moral of the story: You need fresh Spatial Storage units for every shape of pylons you want to work with. Either always use the same size for your pylon projects, or get used to throwing the drat things away when you're done with them.

Also there should be an indicator of the size of a storage unit's contents when you mouse over it.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Are there any options for a "get me back home" teleport in NST diet? I set up shop on an island in the middle of nowhere, and usually I'd have dimdoors or mystcraft for that purpose.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

salttotart posted:

Suggestions/warnings based on our experience:
Disable Tinker's Construct slime islands, or they will poo poo up every Age you write, no matter what kind.
RR has magnesium ore (Mariculture titanium) turned off by default. It turns off a lot of others too but they're useless and/or interchangeable with others.
The IRC mod defaults to a) on and b) connecting to some RR channel. Suggest to your players they remove/disable it.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Moral of the story: You need fresh Spatial Storage units for every shape of pylons you want to work with. Either always use the same size for your pylon projects, or get used to throwing the drat things away when you're done with them.
Can't you shift + right-click while holding a storage unit to de-craft it into a blank storage chip and a housing?

GotLag fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Feb 26, 2014

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Maybe? I'll try when next I'm on.

But if you can I'd never know, because it looks the same before and after preliminary loading.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Cicadalek posted:

Are there any options for a "get me back home" teleport in NST diet? I set up shop on an island in the middle of nowhere, and usually I'd have dimdoors or mystcraft for that purpose.

Mekanism has a teleporter that can travel both inter- and intra-dimensionally. It's configured with a 4-digit code, and you can set a portable teleporter to a matching code. (If you set another stationary teleporter to the same code, a field appears in the frame, which you can walk into to teleport between them.) The stationary teleporter is built somewhat like a nether portal, but the interior area is 1x2 instead of 2x3, and corners are not optional. (Build it with a teleporter block on the bottom, and the rest with teleporter frames. Power goes into the teleporter block on the bottom. One recipe for teleporter frames builds enough to frame an entire teleporter.)

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
This is why i like the Crystalwing mod. 'Tho you have to configure it to infinite uses, regardless of mode its nice to have a "Hearthstone." :haw:

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

mechaet posted:

Diet is getting all the updates right now; theoretically I could backport the updates, but no one plays Fatty (according to the statistics, anyway) so I haven't been worrying too hard on it. If that's a request for me to update that pack, I'll certainly spin it up next week and see what I can do but this week is me prepping for a move of our overworld over to ATG and the fatty server machine is currently crunching an 8km radius circle of terrain so I don't have a machine to test the updates with.

I'll just look into making a mIDas script to convert from Fatty to Diet, then. All I'm really going to miss is Forestry's bees, because I am a sperg.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Shadowmorn posted:

This is why i like the Crystalwing mod. 'Tho you have to configure it to infinite uses, regardless of mode its nice to have a "Hearthstone." :haw:

Doesn't the crystal wing catch fire if you use it in the nether? (Or is that configurable too?)

Bonus for the teleporter - there can be multiple teleporters with different channels, and you can choose where to go.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Yeah it catches fire in the nether. Forgot about how much of a downside that is. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mutamu
Aug 10, 2011

He's Doctor, (pause), Doctor Shark!
I miss my following intra-linking link books. :smith:

• Locked thread