Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Count Chocula posted:

http://brain-zaps.bandcamp.com/ - I have a new band. We are Australian.

Brain Zaps, you need to learn how to loving mix your tracks, and your guitarist needs to learn about tone, and you all need to be much tighter if you're going to release an album.

Also: "negro rhythms"???? FFS mate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

If anyone's digging the electro sound that Australia seems to be making a bit of now, that Flume kid has put together a little playlist that seems to sort of define it pretty well:

http://musicfeeds.com.au/news/flume-pins-down-australian-sound-in-shout-out-to-pals/

Not necessarily my thing, but it's something at least.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Golden plains lineup is out, and it's pretty impressive. I'd link it but I'm on my phone

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

I was thinking about posting these guys in the Punk thread but I have no idea how they'd be received.

Anyway, these guys are really cool, they sound really unique and worth a listen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_S5Ztgkpj0

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Why did nobody tell me this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOZtGfx-E7E

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.

Cloud the Cat posted:

I was thinking about posting these guys in the Punk thread but I have no idea how they'd be received.

Anyway, these guys are really cool, they sound really unique and worth a listen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_S5Ztgkpj0

A couple of US goons like them! They've toured heaps in the US recently

When I first heard them what really stood out to me was that he was singing in his natural accent. His lyrics are so conversational and flow so easy, it's actually really impressive imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKoba6dVqIw

They are one of those bands that pour everything into their live performances.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
So, Get Lucky for number one on the hottest 100?

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010
Lorde's the favorite, kinda would like to see it happen. I just like the whole story behind a genuine teenage musician.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I wonder how the warmest 100 guys will do this year. Last time they got 92 of the songs on the countdown and every song in the top 10 but only 8 songs in the correct place.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I don't want Lorde to take it out just because she's already doing really well for herself, give someone else some attention!
I also hope it's not Get Lucky but that's just me being disappointed in Daft Punk doing something new instead of releasing another album of bangers ala Alive 2007.

As for number one this year I really have no idea, Little Talks stood out to me last year as just a universally loved song and it got number two but I don't have any similar feelings about this years tracks despite listening to a lot more JJJ. I'd like to see Pizza Guy make it to the top 10 though. If Vance Joy got it for Riptide that would be fine by me but is instagram popular enough to extrapolate votes from that alone for the Warmest 100 guys? I have no idea about popular social media scenes.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

screaden posted:

So, Get Lucky for number one on the hottest 100?
It'll be Lorde, but I want Lana Del-rey to take it. I want, want Thelma Plum or James Blake to be number 1, but that'll never happen.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

RandomCheese posted:

... Daft Punk doing something new...

Disco is something new?

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

Brown Blitzkrieg posted:

Disco is something new?

Presumably he means new for them. Lorde will be 1, Get Lucky will be 2, and Haim will be in the top ten there as well somewhere and it's going to make me want to kill myself.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

glasnost toyboy posted:

Presumably he means new for them. Lorde will be 1, Get Lucky will be 2, and Haim will be in the top ten there as well somewhere and it's going to make me want to kill myself.

Corey Haim???

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
Still holding out hope that I'll be banging out Oh Sailor at the top of my lungs in 6 songs time.

(We all know it's going to be Lorde after Daft Punk)

E: Oh poo poo I forgot about Flume, that's the top three surely.

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jan 26, 2014

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Vance Joy? I like him and all, but how the hell did he beat Daft Punk?

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009
I really didn't realise this song was so massive.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

loving christ almighty am I loving over loving barn dance music. gently caress off already.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Somebody explain indie music to me. On what level is it enjoyable?

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009
I feel that way about 95% (conservatively) of what Triple J plays these days.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Somebody explain indie music to me. On what level is it enjoyable?

Ideally the appeal is the creative tension of combining the genuinely avant-garde with the genuinely popular.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Could you link me a song that demonstrates that?

The hottest 100 seems to illustrate every year that I'm getting old, but the sort of rock music that dominates it just seems so forgettable. The drumming is super simple time-keeping stuff and just seems to support the guitars, the guitars are super simple both melodically and rhythmically, and none of it would stand well on its own. You don't get any 'cool riffs' or anything, it all sounds like nothingness by itself. Because none of the instrumentation is interesting on any level you'd think they're just there to support the vocals, but then what's appealing about the vocals? They're not pretty sounding like more traditional singing, they're not dissonant fun like punk music or whatever. The vocals aren't rhythmically fun or anything. The appeal surely can't be lyrical because the lyrics are just a sort of bland nothingness that doesn't really say anything as far as I can tell.

The whole thing just feels so safe and bland. These songs that are supposedly the public-voted-best-of-the-year but 10 seconds after a song ends I couldn't remember it if my life depended on it, and that's 90% of the songs I heard.

I don't blame Triple J for this kind of thing, I blame the whole alternative music scene for coalescing into a hyper-specific sonic shitpile that doesn't seem to tolerate variety or fun or anything of interest. They're just following their demographic.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d69mDT11yI

That's why I said "ideally". It's mostly just fashion these days.

edit: Also, as with any genre, most of it's not going to be very good and because it's appealing to a new set of 16-18 year olds each year there's always going to be a naive "wing" that's prone to trendiness.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 26, 2014

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010
The last No. 1 I thought actually deserved it was Knights of Cydonia in 2007 and No One Knows in 2003. Everything else to me just seems like bland folk songs that could have been released any year in the last 20.

The funny thing is I just looked at the Summary of top 10's for the countdowns and I consistently rate the No. 2 song better (more true in the 90's).

1. Denis Leary – "rear end in a top hat"
2. Radiohead – "Creep"
1. The Cranberries – "Zombie"
2. Nine Inch Nails – "Closer"
1. Oasis – "Wonderwall"
2. The Smashing Pumpkins – "Bullet with Butterfly Wings"
1. Spiderbait – "Buy Me a Pony"
2. Tool – "Stinkfist"
1. The Whitlams – "No Aphrodisiac"
2. Blur – "Song 2"
1. The Offspring – "Pretty Fly (for a White Guy)"
2. Ben Lee – "Cigarettes Will Kill You"
1. Powderfinger – "These Days"
2. Killing Heidi – "Weir"
1. Powderfinger – "My Happiness"
2. U2 – "Beautiful Day"
1. Alex Lloyd – "Amazing"
2. Something for Kate – "Monsters"
1. Queens of the Stone Age – "No One Knows"
2. Grinspoon – "Chemical Heart"
1. Jet – "Are You Gonna Be My Girl"
2. OutKast – "Hey Ya!"
1. Franz Ferdinand – "Take Me Out"
2. Missy Higgins – "Scar"
1. Bernard Fanning – "Wish You Well"
2. Ben Lee – "Catch My Disease"
1. Augie March – "One Crowded Hour"
2. Eskimo Joe – "Black Fingernails, Red Wine"
1. Muse – "Knights of Cydonia"
2. Silverchair – "Straight Lines"
1. Kings of Leon – "Sex on Fire"
2. MGMT – "Electric Feel"
1. Mumford & Sons – "Little Lion Man"
2. Art vs. Science – "Parlez Vous Francais?"
1. Angus & Julia Stone – "Big Jet Plane"
2. Little Red – "Rock It"
1. Gotye featuring Kimbra – "Somebody That I Used to Know"
2. The Black Keys – "Lonely Boy"
1. Macklemore and Ryan Lewis featuring Wanz – "Thrift Shop"
2. Of Monsters and Men – "Little Talks"
1. Vance Joy - "Riptide"
2. Lorde - "Royals"

malmal
Jan 28, 2009
The voting is dominated by the youth of the time. It's no surprise that you aren't feeling the top tracks anymore as you get older. Keep in mind it isn't some objective dissection of a year of music, it's a giant popularity contest filled out mostly by teens and twenty-somethings.

With that in mind I don't really mind the hottest 100, I still find it very easy to listen to the majority of it each year.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Huh, Vance Joy got No. 1? I saw him perform this morning, and was unimpressed.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Nice retrospective Ecstatic. Guess I haven't liked a No.1 or 2 since 2004. Knights was okay I guess.

Thanks Triple J for letting me know when I got officially old.

Amoeba102 fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 28, 2014

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

malmal posted:

The voting is dominated by the youth of the time. It's no surprise that you aren't feeling the top tracks anymore as you get older. Keep in mind it isn't some objective dissection of a year of music, it's a giant popularity contest filled out mostly by teens and twenty-somethings.

With that in mind I don't really mind the hottest 100, I still find it very easy to listen to the majority of it each year.

This is what always gets me about the criticisms of the hottest 100, it's never by people who are in the voting demographic, it's always some dude over 30 having a whinge about how the music he likes isn't popular any more. People seem to take the fact that musical trends have changed as a sign that the music is somehow worse, rather than as a sign that they're not the target market any more

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

sweeroy posted:

This is what always gets me about the criticisms of the hottest 100, it's never by people who are in the voting demographic, it's always some dude over 30 having a whinge about how the music he likes isn't popular any more. People seem to take the fact that musical trends have changed as a sign that the music is somehow worse, rather than as a sign that they're not the target market any more

I saw this get shared around a lot on my Facebook while the hottest 100 was going on. Which is appropriate as my current age group is in that phase where the hottest 100 is becoming less relevant, if not completely ignored already.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
As a dude in his early thirties I'm never really upset with the songs that make it into the countdown, each year the hottest hundred forms a great snapshot of music from the previous 12 months and the CDs they put out are great little time capsules capable of bringing up all sorts of memories from that specific year. Even if I'm not particularly into certain tracks the fact that I listen to JJJ daily and have done for half my life means that I have heard the songs a lot and can associate them with certain times and events, the discs have a real atmosphere about them. I'm glad they are doing the 101-200 countdown as a seemingly regular thing though, there is so much music released every year now that 100 songs just isn't enough, especially with the severely lowered barriers for entry into the world of music production. I'd still be stoked if any of my songs make it anywhere into the top 200 in coming years.

Happycataclysm
Jan 11, 2005

The Fun Machine Took A Shit and Died
To quote the list from the last 20 years posted earlier, I don't think one can claim the 90s were more diverse than the current decade. I'd argue every year or decade has some general trends running through it, and when people claim that it's "all the same now", they're not wrong but the 90s and early 2000s were also homogeneous amongst themselves.. perhaps it was just a 'same' that you liked more.. or because you were growing up through it it all seemed so diverse. Perhaps the latest countdowns are even more diverse.

Hell, I'm 28 and love 90s / early 2000s stuff but I reckon.

quote:

1. Denis Leary – "rear end in a top hat"
2. Radiohead – "Creep"
1. The Cranberries – "Zombie"
2. Nine Inch Nails – "Closer"
1. Oasis – "Wonderwall"
2. The Smashing Pumpkins – "Bullet with Butterfly Wings"
1. Spiderbait – "Buy Me a Pony"
2. Tool – "Stinkfist"

Looks like 1. softer pop/rock with a bit of 2. angry stuff.

quote:

1. The Whitlams – "No Aphrodisiac"
2. Blur – "Song 2"
1. The Offspring – "Pretty Fly (for a White Guy)"
2. Ben Lee – "Cigarettes Will Kill You"
1. Powderfinger – "These Days"
2. Killing Heidi – "Weir"
1. Powderfinger – "My Happiness"
2. U2 – "Beautiful Day"
1. Alex Lloyd – "Amazing"
2. Something for Kate – "Monsters"
1. Queens of the Stone Age – "No One Knows"
2. Grinspoon – "Chemical Heart"

Pretty easy. These are great songs, but they're mostly softer pop rock (even more so than the block before it), with the exception of some more either pop punky or harder rocky stuff (notably: Offspring / QOTSA). But mostly it was about an ernest guy with a piano or guitar band (Ben Lee, Bono, Bernard Fanning etc) in a catchy rock arrangement that won't piss anyone off too much. poo poo, even Grinspoon are at their poppiest and most heartfelt.

quote:

1. Jet – "Are You Gonna Be My Girl"
2. OutKast – "Hey Ya!"
1. Franz Ferdinand – "Take Me Out"
2. Missy Higgins – "Scar"
1. Bernard Fanning – "Wish You Well"
2. Ben Lee – "Catch My Disease"

gently caress, this is basically the block above. I mean, it's still Ben Lee and Powderfinger (sup Bernard) but now you have Missy being earnest and Jet/Franz providing the rockier stuff.

quote:

1. Augie March – "One Crowded Hour"
2. Eskimo Joe – "Black Fingernails, Red Wine"
1. Muse – "Knights of Cydonia"
2. Silverchair – "Straight Lines"
1. Kings of Leon – "Sex on Fire"
2. MGMT – "Electric Feel"
1. Mumford & Sons – "Little Lion Man"
2. Art vs. Science – "Parlez Vous Francais?"
1. Angus & Julia Stone – "Big Jet Plane"
2. Little Red – "Rock It"

I reckon it gets a bit different here. Augie/Little Red are up there but aren't that well known out of JJJ (compare this to Powderfinger or even Alex Lloyd from earlier). Eskimo Joe decided they'd get earnest and it worked in this instance (I miss their songs like 'Who Sold Her Out' but whatever).

MGMT and Silverchair and Art vs. Science get all electronic-y. Yeah, a trend, but a new one for the top of the charts (notable exception being NIN - Closer). I love most of the music in the last 20 years of 1s and 2s but gently caress 'Sex On Fire' I hate. But I'll admit it had a unique sound compared to softer rock from earlier or any of the hard stuff. It was doing its own thing. More power to them.

Big Jet Plane and Little Lion Man have your softer stuff covered cept they're both more folky. So to me, this period of time has introduced a fair amount of electronica into the top shelf so that's something. Oh and how could I forget Muse? Dude, a loving prog rock song got #1. Again, for some reason I can't get into Muse but you gotta respect that.

quote:

1. Gotye featuring Kimbra – "Somebody That I Used to Know"
2. The Black Keys – "Lonely Boy"
1. Macklemore and Ryan Lewis featuring Wanz – "Thrift Shop"
2. Of Monsters and Men – "Little Talks"
1. Vance Joy - "Riptide"
2. Lorde - "Royals"

I think the last 3 years of #1s and #2s at least has a pretty decent spread. Gotye's song is a blinder.. such a unique sound. Wally is his own guy that's for sure and the song holds up in every way. Deserving of his US #1. Lonely Boy is your slightly harder classic rock number. Macklemore is loving RAP finally making it to the top. Sure it's white and pretty drat poppy but that's kind of an achievement of sorts (as a US rap lover in general sometimes I feel alone in Australia but this was a little affirming). Little Talks is like.. Ska. It's been a while since Ska. Well done. Vance Joy isn't that exciting to me, but I'd defy anyone to say that it isn't catchy. And he's taking that style that's crossed over, that barn stomper poo poo. The kind of music that always comes on about 80% through a preview for a movie set in 1920s America where the screen and the voice both go "From the Director Of..". I'm not really a fan but a catchy song is a catchy song and a current style is just that. Lastly, Lorde. I was in the gym one morning and that song came on. I pretty much paused between sets for a few minutes because what I was hearing was both unique for current day in its style, and I adore the lyrics. Here I am picturing some black British R&B queen being all poppy and brilliant. Nope, it's some little 17 year old from NZ. Nice work lady.

I've sort of ranted and lost my point here (and I'm sure this will be pointed out), but ultimately I think the hottest 100 is in fact getting more diverse as the 'music scene' fragments into even more pieces due to things like cheap and easy access to music production gear (hey, computer) and the Internet being able to support very small disparate communities. I look forward to 2014.

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010
Since you've lost your point and I felt like making one in the same vein:

I live in Perth and was pretty disappointment to see the BDO get the chop, I remember being amazed at the lineups when I started going (Metallica was my first year, went every year until 2012). The headliners always seemed to be someone that hadn't toured before or for a long time. I really enjoyed seeing all the different bands throughout the day and via triple J I knew just about all of them.

By around 2011, my second time seeing Tool, you could feel the fatigue in the crowd. Everyone had seen the hoods do their thing at at least one summer festival per year, the living end still played just as well as always but the decade old hitlist from the first album felt stale. Eventually the headline bands hadn't released and album within a decade of the festival and the drawcards weren't in their culturally relevant period of their careers.

You could also feel the disconnect from the triple j audience, in the early 2000's there was always a day devoted to an outside broadcast from the Big Day Out, there were years where the headliners had a feature album on triple j. Compare this with Laneway, where this year had live broadcasts during the day, almost every artist on the main stage had a feature album on the J's, and the ticket sales were strong.

I guess to sum it up: Big Day Out is Triple J 10 years ago and Laneway is Triple J now.

Still prefer the Big Day Out though.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Big Day Out is and always has been poo poo since around the time Limp Bizkit played.

Thank god AJ maddah has a hold of it now as it can hopefully die off.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
I've really been digging into Mick Turner lately, my girlfriend picked out his solo LP Don't Tell The Driver which I bought for her. It's a really good record and got me looking into more of his stuff, then yesterday I grabbed his Solemns collab with Bonnie Prince Billy under Marquis De Trens. The guy is also a really amazing artist, I must have almost a dozen LPs with his artwork and I really enjoy them all. The Bside of Solemns is a really cool etching on one side done by Mick.

Always loved the Dirty Three, saw them play an amazing performance in Golden Gate in 2012. Got my tickets to the Nick Cave tour coming through Canada this summer, really stoked to see the man live and Warren Ellis perform again.

On the complete other side of things, I know they have been mentioned a few times in this thread, but a friend was just introducing me to Portal. Heavy and dark poo poo, I'm into it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So there's been a brew-ha-ha in Soundwave.

Megadeth were doing some sideshows (They're pretty cool, QOTSA did one in Hobart once and it was pretty :3: until someone threw a glass bottle at Josh) with Newstead as a support act (They're not that bad). Anyway, They pulled Newstead from the sideshows saying Megadeth told them to. Then apparently Megadeth told them to say they're sorry because they totally wouldn't do that. And then Soundwave wouldn't, so Megadeth cancelled the entire tour.

:shrug:

ADolan
Apr 8, 2008
When I was in Sydney a few months ago I saw this rather unknown band known as Morning Harvey play in a pub off of Oxford Street. They have a really unique garage-like, drone pop kind of sound that I found particularly catchy. The video for "Sundown" is pretty sick too, it's very lo-fi and kind of captures the Sydney scene quite well. It is on their first debut EP with an unknown ETA.

Check out "Sundown"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osU0INZ-MKs

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

Digging through this thread, I couldn't find anyone talking about a band called Toehider.

This is a drat shame - more people should know about this prog rock band from Melbourne.

Here are some pictures! http://toehider.tumblr.com/pics

... damnit.

Ok, have some tunes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a_nfLLfbUQ
Whatever Makes You Feel Superior

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaLFCJT0PrU
The Most Popular Girl in School

Anddddd check out their bandcamp - http://toehider.bandcamp.com/
I recommend checking out Children of the Sun Part 2: Another Collection of Under-appreciated Cartoon Themes from the 70's, 80's and 90's if only to hear sweet proggy covers of Ducktails and Powerpuff Girls.

The singer, Mike Mills - has been busy working on (prog metal superstar) Ayreon latest album as a guest vocalist - check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E98C5BcXnE
When he's not too busy being a guest vocalist, he's doing an excellent cover of Kate Bushes Wuthering Heights. Seen here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnG5iLR9g9k

Why am I doing all this? The other day they launched a Pozible campaign to fund their new album, which can be found http://www.pozible.com/project/177937 <--- there.

They reached their goal in a day and are now reaching for the stars. What better time to let more people know about them than now, right?

I first caught them supporting The Protomen when they toured after AustPAX, and more recently when they opened Devin Townsend on his national tour. Soon they'll be doing a tour with TROLDHAUGEN through a bunch of the eastern states: https://www.facebook.com/events/617891064948848/?source=1

If you at all like rock, prog or local talent, check 'em out.

Links:
https://www.facebook.com/toehider
https://twitter.com/toehider
http://toehider.bandcamp.com/
http://www.pozible.com/project/177937

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
Speaking of Toehider, anyone who's interested in alternative/ prog/ post rock Australian music should check out Bird's Robe Records (http://birdsrobe.bandcamp.com/). Some really good stuff on there.

I'd recommended Teal , A Lonely Crowd (signed with them but no on their bandcamp yet. At: http://alonelycrowd.bandcamp.com/) and Barons of Tang.

baby duck hat
Jan 29, 2005
baby duck hat
Came out of lurking to see if anyone had mentioned the new Woods of Desolation album and I can't find anything.

Already posted this in the PostRock/Metal subforums but feel we should give them some love in this thread since they're Aussie!

I can't recommend it enough... for lovers of atmospheric black metal with amazing melodies and post-rock / shoegaze / blackgaze influences.

Streaming here:

https://woodsofdesolation.bandcamp.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

This is my friends band, and theyre really good stoner/doom rock stuff.

No longer together so dont expect any gigs/more recordings until everyone is back in the same country in a few years.

http://milkmaids.bandcamp.com/

• Locked thread