Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

Luigi Thirty posted:

I don't know which one it was but the one with the husband and wife who went back into the restaurant business after retiring and all the food was done by the 60 year old husband with egg timers everywhere was :unsmith:

Or the one where the chef meant well but taught himself out of celebrity cookbooks and Gordon made him throw them all away and taught him some real dishes.

The Fenwick Arms and The Fish and Anchor respectively.

Both closed, although the Fenwick reopened last year as a seafood restaurant with new owners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

I don't know which one it was but the one with the husband and wife who went back into the restaurant business after retiring and all the food was done by the 60 year old husband with egg timers everywhere was :unsmith:

Or the one where the chef meant well but taught himself out of celebrity cookbooks and Gordon made him throw them all away and taught him some real dishes.

There are quite a few "we pooled our savings and opened this restuarant because its our/my dream and now we owe $500k". Even places with great food fail, like Momma Cheri's. She started doing fantastic and moved into a larger building and expanded too fast and ended up closing.

The catering/restaurant industry is brutal and very few non franchise locations end up succeeding. Those that do have to compete with places like Olive Garden and Red Lobster offering huge portions for discount prices.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
If you had been feeling like you didn't really care to revisit Amy's Baking Company, or you think they might have mellowed out, then check this out. :stare:

I think we're gonna be in for a treat and they downright sound like crazy crazy people

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

pentyne posted:

There are quite a few "we pooled our savings and opened this restuarant because its our/my dream and now we owe $500k". Even places with great food fail, like Momma Cheri's. She started doing fantastic and moved into a larger building and expanded too fast and ended up closing.

The catering/restaurant industry is brutal and very few non franchise locations end up succeeding. Those that do have to compete with places like Olive Garden and Red Lobster offering huge portions for discount prices.

Not to mention they tend to use mass produced materials for saving money.

I think one of Ramsay's own places had a bit of a scandal for using frozen product for pub food.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I haven't seen Hotel Hell so I watched the first episode and :stare: the owner guy is the biggest douchebag in the universe and has such a contempt for everyone who works for him and everyone around him. Ramsay going off on him like constantly is amazing.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

gret posted:

That was the Shrek in a frock episode! :D
What episode is this? I need to watch it simply for Shrek.

Luigi Thirty posted:

I haven't seen Hotel Hell so I watched the first episode and :stare: the owner guy is the biggest douchebag in the universe and has such a contempt for everyone who works for him and everyone around him. Ramsay going off on him like constantly is amazing.
I'll need to watch this too. Ramsay giving hell to someone who deserves it is the most satisfying part of Kitchen Nightmares US.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Luigi Thirty posted:

I don't care for Ramsay's style as it applies to hotels, it's clearly not his element. Especially when compared to Hotel Impossible.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

raditts posted:

I don't care for Ramsay's style as it applies to hotels, it's clearly not his element. Especially when compared to Hotel Impossible.

True but I do enjoy watching him scream at people who clearly don't get it while being supportive to the staff that do.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Segmentation Fault posted:

What episode is this? I need to watch it simply for Shrek.

The Fish and Anchor. Unfortunately the only copy of the full episode on YouTube is dubbed into Italian.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Luigi Thirty posted:

True but I do enjoy watching him scream at people who clearly don't get it while being supportive to the staff that do.

And then relax with a nice long shower scene.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

gret posted:

The Fish and Anchor. Unfortunately the only copy of the full episode on YouTube is dubbed into Italian.

It's on Netflix streaming.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
The best part about HK Season 11 is that, after Ja'Nel failed a drug test and forfeited the position, it went to Jon instead. :v:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Why Jon and not Mary?

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

I'm guessing Mary had already accepted a job elsewhere.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Zero Star posted:

I'm guessing Mary had already accepted a job elsewhere.

A restaurant with all the childrens' souls she could eat!

I wonder what drug she failed for, I wouldn't have thought that would disqualify you of all things. Bourdain had me thinking that doing drugs was a requirement.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Ballz posted:

Why Jon and not Mary?

Because Mary was awful. Ja'Nel got popped for cocaine, btw.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

A restaurant with all the childrens' souls she could eat!

I wonder what drug she failed for, I wouldn't have thought that would disqualify you of all things. Bourdain had me thinking that doing drugs was a requirement.

I really don't know how executive chef jobs are handled in the hiring process, but I assume there is a drug test because its a pretty serious management position. Every head chef job is different though, so if you're trying to become the chef of a little 8 table place that's still making its name, its probably not an issue. Being an executive chef at a big-time celebrity chef's restaurant would logically come with a much more stringent hiring process.

I think most of the legit chefs these days that have a passion for it and want to succeed in the industry don't do a whole lot of drugs the way they used to in the 80's and 90's. Its possible the rise of Food Network and then Top Chef were a factor in that, young hot chefs have become celebrities in their own right, and they have to think about PR a lot more than in the past.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

bunky posted:

Ja'Nel got popped for cocaine, btw.

drat, no wonder she couldn't shut the gently caress up!

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Don't forget that the position was based at Caesar's Palace, and they're downright militant when it comes to drug-testing employees.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

This still isn't coming on tonight, right? I don't see the reason for the thread sticky if not.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Aw man, I'm sad I won't see crazy Amy tonight. I would assume they have decided to sue the show(s)/network at this point, which is why they've been pulled. Anyone know anything else? This is like my version of a soap opera.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
Uh, apparently it is back on?

Turn on Fox right now

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

I only see bones

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

It's not on Fox's listings and Bones is on so nope.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
Me too :smith:

I got really really excited for those three minutes, too

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Slightly Toasted posted:

I only see bones

You poor bastard.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Just as a heads up, none of the Youtube links for season 1 of Hotel Hell in the OP work. Several don't work in the US, and a couple have been taken down by Youtube.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Segmentation Fault posted:

Just as a heads up, none of the Youtube links for season 1 of Hotel Hell in the OP work. Several don't work in the US, and a couple have been taken down by Youtube.

:negative:

I'll try and find replacement links they always seem online whenever I check

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

:siren: NEW SEASON OF Kitchen Nightmares HELL'S KITCHEN BEGINS THURSDAY, MARCH 13 :siren:

So... I guess Crazy Amy won, then. Wow. Wowwowowowowow.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
And still no word on when Kitchen Nightmares is gonna return the whole thing seems to be on pause. What crazy stuff is happening behind the scenes? :psyduck:

Can't stay I'm not psyched by HK returning in 10 days though

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Twee as gently caress posted:

And still no word on when Kitchen Nightmares is gonna return the whole thing seems to be on pause. What crazy stuff is happening behind the scenes? :psyduck:

Can't stay I'm not psyched by HK returning in 10 days though

I feel like it can't get any worse than last year... I wish they had him narrate like F Word or... any other non-fox Gordon show.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

benisntfunny posted:

I feel like it can't get any worse than last year... I wish they had him narrate like F Word or... any other non-fox Gordon show.

Even Hotel Hell is narrated by Gordon. Also you can't say anything against HK's narration, it's so loving hilarious most of the time. The only place that feels like it should be narrated by Ramsay is KN really. In Masterchef it woudn't matter really.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Twee as gently caress posted:

Even Hotel Hell is narrated by Gordon. Also you can't say anything against HK's narration, it's so loving hilarious most of the time. The only place that feels like it should be narrated by Ramsay is KN really. In Masterchef it woudn't matter really.

I don't know. I think Gordon narration of HK would be awesome. It would be like twice the amount of insults. The format needs to change. It's tired.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

benisntfunny posted:

I don't know. I think Gordon narration of HK would be awesome. It would be like twice the amount of insults. The format needs to change. It's tired.

Every year before the new season begins, I'm thinking along the same lines, but then we end up with a cast of crazier and crazier people who just pull me back in and I end up never being tired of it

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Ballz posted:

:siren: NEW SEASON OF Kitchen Nightmares HELL'S KITCHEN BEGINS THURSDAY, MARCH 13 :siren:

So... I guess Crazy Amy won, then. Wow. Wowwowowowowow.

That's okay with me: Kitchen Nightmares is towards the bottom of Ramsay shows for me these days anyway, with HK right at the top!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

benisntfunny posted:

I feel like it can't get any worse than last year...

Every year is uniquely terrible. I never expect this show to be good, but I do expect it to be entertaining and on that front it never fails.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Ghostpilot posted:

That's okay with me: Kitchen Nightmares is towards the bottom of Ramsay shows for me these days anyway, with HK right at the top!

Yeah same here. I was really happy about the return of ABC but otherwise I'm pretty meh on KN at this point. I think I only watched like 4 or 5 last season.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I watch all Ramsay shows except Kitchen Nightmares. I don't need to see the grossness and the turn arounds always seem so fake. I only saw ABC because it was everywhere and impossible to miss.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I always think I'm losing interest in HK but I'm back every year. I don't care at all for KN anymore though, ABC briefly brought me back but I got real tired of hearing about that after a while.

Also I don't remember a lot about Hotel Hell aside from the first episode with the weird pack rat guy and his robot husband and this:

It's finally coming back, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Also I don't remember a lot about Hotel Hell aside from the first episode with the weird pack rat guy and his robot husband and this:

It's finally coming back, right?

It is coming back. Also, add to that list the guy who was Michael Scott irl with anger issues and that's pretty much it for me too