Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I thought people would get all :tinfoil: with snapshot but I haven't seen any bad news about it. I like the idea of the C7's optional dashcam because it is (not yet) being used to gently caress with your insurance, hell GM probably can't even access the data easily. Sure they might pull the data when you go in for repairs, but OBD1 & 2 have been doing that for years. I like this optional feature because it might prove to be invaluable in an accident. And if GM wants to judge my driving habits by how many times I hit the brakes, at least they will see the rear end in a top hat cutting me off when they look.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

a) there's an indicator LED

Sorry but the hardware is designed to have a firmware controllable indicator LED so the NSA can spy on you

http://m.slashdot.org/story/195779

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

xzzy posted:

There have been a handful of cases where exactly that has been done, one was with school provided laptops taking pictures of kids in their bedroom, another was a rent-to-own outfit keeping track of any laptops they sold by turning the camera on at set intervals. Taping the camera is a valid defense, as there are proof of concept exploits where the camera can be turned on without the led being lit, even in cases where the manufacturer claims it's impossible.

That's completely based on how the LED is wired into the camera, and if the camera has a GPIO interface to the LED that you can hack.

Ace944
Jan 28, 2009
I caught this passing fail awhile ago using a GoPro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWZP_hxV87s
I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread I just started getting into dashcams.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Hahahahaha. Why didn't they just pull in front of you? It's a fundamental part of overtaking!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Hahahahaha. Why didn't they just pull in front of you? It's a fundamental part of overtaking!

Poor spatial awareness, not enough time to check over their shoulder, panic caused by a pair of headlights staring them down, getting greedy and wanting to make a double pass.. all kinds of reasons really.

Here in the midwest I don't like pulling in front of someone until I can see their headlights in my mirror. Cars getting passed frequently see this as a challenge to their dominance and use it as an excuse to drop a brick on their gas pedal, which means I have to be super careful on entering their lane. It's trained me to not bother passing on 2 lane roads until I can see the lane is clear for a mile.

Ace944
Jan 28, 2009
What you can't see is there are two cars in front of me so he was going for a three pass.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Just driving home from work. :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfamZ0nNKv0

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Feb 15, 2014

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Drunk?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I can only assume they were. I stayed the gently caress away from them.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Hopefully. If a sober person did that then god help us all.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

Supposedly it uses a similar mount as the LS300W, though you'd need to trim it a little. Supposedly.

If that's the case, something like this will probably be what you're looking for.

The linked visor mount just arrived. It fits the G1W well with no modification. Slightly snug but no real forcing to fit. I would assume snug is better than loose with a dash cam anyways. The tightener on the ball joint seems alright for a sub $3 mount. I won't be able to test it out in my car until tomorrow afternoon when I get it back from the shop, but it seems promising so far.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.
Just got my ls300w today, it's pretty awesome.

The cable dangling from behind my rearview down to the cigarette lighter is not so awesome, but I plan to hardwire it via the wire channel that my mirror uses, once I can work up the courage to slice up my month old wrx.

Hope to have some good footage soon.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ltr posted:

The linked visor mount just arrived. It fits the G1W well with no modification. Slightly snug but no real forcing to fit. I would assume snug is better than loose with a dash cam anyways. The tightener on the ball joint seems alright for a sub $3 mount. I won't be able to test it out in my car until tomorrow afternoon when I get it back from the shop, but it seems promising so far.

Thanks for following up on that - I may order it myself, just to get it off the windshield.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

joe944 posted:

Hope to have some good footage soon.

Now you have a dashcam you will experience nothing but the most polite and safety minded drivers you've ever had the pleasure of sharing a road with. And it'll piss you off.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

tuna posted:

Now you have a dashcam you will experience nothing but the most polite and safety minded drivers you've ever had the pleasure of sharing a road with. And it'll piss you off.

This is what I'm expecting when I get my cam back up and running. This past week I've had 2 people swerve into my lane, then 100 yards later swerve back into the other lane to keep me from passing and another person making a left turn into my lane from a red light. Starting tomorrow afternoon, everyone will drive perfectly.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I had some crazy woman stop in the middle of the road, roll back into the front of my car, then ENGAGE REVERSE and continue trying to move backwards, all the while I sat there honking my horn and flashing my lights (which i started doing before she started rolling backwards)

She got out of the car and said 'you shouldnt honk at people like that, its incredibly aggressive'. Swore up and down that she didnt hit my car (despite my license plate being clearly embossed in the dirt on her rear bumper, and my brand new plate bent to poo poo, and multiple cracks in my freshly resprayed front bumper after years of abuse)

So now I have a dashcam.

2 days after I installed my camera, the exact same thing nearly happened in a driveway for a fast food place.

Low car problems I guess?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Are any of the dashcams on DealExtreme worth getting? I'm mostly asking because I want one and I'm placing an order with them, but if it's not worth it over the amazon/ebay ones, I won't do it.

Edit: Looks like there's a G1W on there (http://dx.com/p/blackview-g1w-hd-1080p-2-7-tft-wide-angle-car-dvr-w-ir-night-vision-mini-hdmi-brown-black-219935), but I don't know if it's the same.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 25, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It's the same one that Blueskysea is selling on Amazon.

BSS also ships from China, but they arrive fairly quick (especially compared to DX).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Laserface posted:

Low car problems I guess?

The very first time I filled up our Opel GT to start on the drive home, some old gently caress in a Cadillac literally parked his front bumper over mine despite me standing and waving / yelling at him.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I had some cocksucker in a Neon pull up so close to my rear bumper this morning I couldn't see his hood. And then he started yelling and motioning for me to pull forward. I was at a red light with a car in front of me. It's times like this that I'm glad I take my meds, otherwise when the light turned green and he layed on the horn before the car in front of me even moved, I would have been likely to sit there until the light went red again. What the gently caress is wrong with people.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
This guy came flying into the parking lot exit, a one-way road, came within a few inches of the side of my car, all the while giving me a crazy look. :catstare: Too bad the camera didn't catch his face due to glare.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wish I'd remembered mine before I went to Michigan yesterday. I was on the highway and two times some rear end in a top hat blasted past me at 90+, cut across in front of me and then slammed on the brakes to hit an exit. I just hope they wrecked elsewhere out of my sight.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Rhyno posted:

I wish I'd remembered mine before I went to Michigan yesterday. I was on the highway and two times some rear end in a top hat blasted past me at 90+, cut across in front of me and then slammed on the brakes to hit an exit. I just hope they wrecked elsewhere out of my sight.

What a terrible thing to say.

You want to see that poo poo!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I only say it because they didn't wreck in my field of vision.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

The visor mount I mentioned a few days ago has worked well so far. Much better than on the windshield as far as viewing it from the outside goes. Plus it's really easy to take down when I have a passenger whose view it would disturb. I still need to blackout the chrome and white parts of it, but it's okay. The tinted windows definitely helps in hiding it.

I haven't had any real bad displays of driving, it's mostly little stupid things that aren't worth uploading. But here is something from today when someone cut into my lane at the last second. I know this is a pretty standard thing to happen, but it's the worst I've seen in the last week and wanted to test out cutting the video and uploading and everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYGa4NO_5dc

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
My g1w is being weird. I set it to turn the display off after 3 minutes, but it basically stays on constantly. Meanwhile, it acts like it turns off completely while I'm driving. WTF is it with this thing.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Buggy firmware, the reason I returned my first dash cam (Mini 0801). It's very frustrating as the product hardware is good and quite capable of being a better product!

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

@ 9 seconds in, there's a truck with its hazards on in the opposite lane. The car behind it decides that it's best to try to pass by driving around it, nevermind the oncoming traffic (i.e. me).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA1cJ6RSmhE

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

veedubfreak posted:

My g1w is being weird. I set it to turn the display off after 3 minutes, but it basically stays on constantly. Meanwhile, it acts like it turns off completely while I'm driving. WTF is it with this thing.

That's uh... what it's supposed to do. The "screen saver" only functions while driving; the only sign of life once it kicks in should be the power LED.

Unless I'm misreading your post?

e: wait, is it not shutting off when it should, and sometimes goes dead while driving? That's what my first one wound up doing. :( I keep meaning to RMA it..

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Feb 27, 2014

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Yes it stays on indefinitely and when it does decide to shut off there is no light on the power, and it gives the "turning off now" sound.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I cocked up with mine the first time and set the power-off (turn everything off) instead of the screen-off timer. You sure you haven't done the same?

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

You might have to put this one to 720p to see the turning lane lights change:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqJNEWPMdbQ

This guy was distracted and missed his light, but instead of stopping and waiting for the next turn signal he decided to gun it across all the turning lanes and the double yellows while the red light had been red for at least 2 seconds before he even entered the intersection without indicating or anything. Good driving!

This intersection is one of the worst in the state/country (Venice and Lincoln in LA). On weekends it is routinely blocked in most directions because of cars being jammed up right in the middle of it.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
That's just classic LA.

Every time I am driving around LA I make sure to take an extra second after the green, and never speed into an intersection just after its turned green.

I HAVE SOMEWHERE IMPORTANT TO BE. GET OUT OF THA WAY BRO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R99riaOdqo4

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I caught a good 3 car pile up this morning, whats the easiest way to deal with the video so you don't see the other 8 minutes of traffic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsgp72cFlHQ

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 28, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Looks like you found a way to deal with it, but I use Windows Movie Maker to trim video clips. It's free.

iMovie works pretty well too.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

some texas redneck posted:

Looks like you found a way to deal with it, but I use Windows Movie Maker to trim video clips. It's free.

iMovie works pretty well too.

Freemake Video Convertor was the only option I found that let me edit the quicktime format my dashcam uses. It's a very easy-to-use bit of software.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

I caught a good 3 car pile up this morning, whats the easiest way to deal with the video so you don't see the other 8 minutes of traffic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsgp72cFlHQ

The worst part about that is the loving white car that just slowly rolls backwards away. . .

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Crotch Fruit posted:

The worst part about that is the loving white car that just slowly rolls backwards away. . .

The white car was the cause of the accident. The only thing I can figure out is that he rear ended the Bronco then somehow bounced off and went 2 lanes over then rolled back into the guardrail. Out of the 3 cars that ended up on the shoulder, his was the only one with major damage. Also most of the debris was in my lane.

If you fullscreen it, you can also see the puff of white smoke in my lane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Whoops! Not really sure how that happened, I blame all the snow and ice we've had lately. Luckily there was nobody behind me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJVJ_2oIsJ0