Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thelonious Monk
Apr 2, 2008

Life and music: all about style.

Captain Postal posted:

I need some advice. I had a pair of Bose QC15's that smashed on the way to Heathrow one day, and I replaced them with a pair of shure 315's that my laptop can barely drive (some distortion) and my phone absolutely shits itself when it tries to drive (major, major distortion). I tried adding a CMoy amp and I'm not really happy with it (it's inconvenient and it uses a $12 900mAh lithium 9V battery every 4-5 hours).

So I need headphones that:
a) will be used for 20+ hr flights and office work.
b) (preferably) I can sleep with them on during long flights. I found the QC15's a bit of a let down here because when I turned my head in my sleep, the headphone cup hit the headrest I kept waking up.
c) isolating, if not cancelling is a must. So is not leaking for other passengers and in the office. I think I need to stick to closed designs.
d) budget is $200-$300
e) a discrete bit of base, but not too much.

What I did like about the QC15's was that they were either easier to drive or were actively powered, either way my phone ran them just fine. This makes me think I need something that has a battery in it. Also, aside from colliding with the headrest on planes, I find circumaural by far the most comfortable. They had a nice amount of bass and good isolation/cancelling, but weren't spectacular otherwise. The Shure's sound a bit flat for me but that could be the wimpy sources, and I find them a bit uncomfortable after a while. My SR80's are currently in the wrong hemisphere, but I can't use the open design and I find supraaural uncomfortable after prolonged use.

The guide linked in the OP guide is great, but I don't think these requirements quite fit. So where should I start looking?

Etymotics er4 should be the most isolating universal iem you can find. Even better if you get custom tips for them. Should be easy to drive as well .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the amber trap
Aug 13, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

TBH it's a bit expensive for the sound quality, but they're so much better built than the rest....

I'll admit that they're a little more than I expected, but the wife surprised me with them after I asked about whether or not I deserved a present. They seem perfectly wonderful so far, though I haven't used them with anything that has any real sound quality, so we'll have to see what happens later.
Thanks again for the help.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Would anyone be able to reccomend a really sturdy set of full-size/circumaural headphones? I keep stepping/sitting on all of my cheap plastic ones, I want something that can survive the apocalypse. Would this be feasable for under $100?

Another question, do cheap earbuds with a controller thingy exist? The only ones I can find are in-ear, which I don't like for commuting because I like to be able to hear my surroundings.

edit: for both of these, I'd be using them for podcasts/music on my computer or iPhone.

Coffee And Pie fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 23, 2014

ffej
Dec 28, 2003
Looking for recommendations on a headphone stand. Something I can get in Canada so that the shipping isn't more than the stand. $40 give or take $10.

Also, getting ready to pull the trigger on a Schiit Modi dac and Magni headphone amp. Is there any other options I should be looking at in the $200 price range before clicking submit on my order?

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

ffej posted:

Looking for recommendations on a headphone stand. Something I can get in Canada so that the shipping isn't more than the stand. $40 give or take $10.

Also, getting ready to pull the trigger on a Schiit Modi dac and Magni headphone amp. Is there any other options I should be looking at in the $200 price range before clicking submit on my order?

Maybe the Fiio e07/09 combo.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Coffee And Pie posted:

Would anyone be able to reccomend a really sturdy set of full-size/circumaural headphones? I keep stepping/sitting on all of my cheap plastic ones, I want something that can survive the apocalypse. Would this be feasable for under $100?

Another question, do cheap earbuds with a controller thingy exist? The only ones I can find are in-ear, which I don't like for commuting because I like to be able to hear my surroundings.

edit: for both of these, I'd be using them for podcasts/music on my computer or iPhone.

http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Crossfade-Over-Ear-Noise-Isolating-Headphone/dp/B003BYRGLI/

these are the most sturdy headphones I've come across. sound is decent too. bass-heavy, can't remember much else

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Tactical Lesbian posted:

http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Crossfade-Over-Ear-Noise-Isolating-Headphone/dp/B003BYRGLI/

these are the most sturdy headphones I've come across. sound is decent too. bass-heavy, can't remember much else

Removable/replaceable cable that's wrapped in a kevlar weave. They are notoriously hard to kill.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

ffej posted:

I use a banana hanger for my HD600. It works perfectly and can easily be found from a variety of stores for cheap.

jototo
Sep 3, 2003

I'm looking at getting a pair of cans. I've been using cheap IEMs and on ear headphones, but I'm looking at getting something bigger for longer listening sessions.

Budget - $100-$150, would be willing to go as high as $200 if it were really worth the extra cash.
Source - Nexus 4, Macbook Air, PC with standard mobo on board sound.
Isolation Requirements - I'd like closed headphones because I will be using them while traveling sometimes, and need them to be quiet at home too.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear, with comfortable pads. Detachable/changable cables would be nice, since a 9 foot cord is cumbersome when not at my desk.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Not sure. I like a bit of bass, but they don't have to be super bassy.
Past Headphones - Had a pair of Grados (SR-80?). I liked the sound but the open design let too much sound out, and they were too... "swivelly" They weren't easy to just pop on my head. They always needed adjustment, and they weren't comfortable after about 30 minutes.
Preferred Music - Hip hop, Alternative, Electronic, a bit of everything.

I'm going through the buyer's guide in the OP, but it's a bit overwhelming

Models I'm considering:
Brainwavz HM5 -they look comfortable, not familiar with the brand
Audio-Technica ATH-M50 - well reviewed, but some have stated they don't live up to the hype
Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 250 ohms - well reviewed, look super comfy, but wouldn't 250ohms be difficult to drive without an amp?
Sony MDR7506

Anything to consider about these models? Any other models I'm overlooking? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

jototo fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 23, 2014

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
^ The DT-880s come in several impedances. I discussed it in the last few pages.

ffej
Dec 28, 2003

GokieKS posted:

I use a banana hanger for my HD600. It works perfectly and can easily be found from a variety of stores for cheap.

This is brilliant thank you!

Rocket Fish has a dirt cheap headphone stand: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/rocketfish-rocketfish-universal-headset-stand/3526165.p?id=1218408987392&skuId=3526165

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Maybe the Fiio e07/09 combo.

Looking into this option..thank you.

ffej fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 23, 2014

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ffej posted:

Looking into this option..thank you.

I'd do the E17 and E09k. They're the updated version.

Ah Um
Mar 10, 2013
Budget - $100-$300
Source - Flac files through usb output to FIO E17
Isolation Requirements - Anything more than the grados would be swell
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - Preferably balanced, but I can always preamp it
Past Headphones - I've been rocking the Grado 225i's for sometime and I'm looking for something closed and with more bass
Preferred Music - Lots of reggae and dub, experimental electronic and chillwave, rap, jazz, some lo fi punk, all kinds of folk

I could use advice on my overall set up, as well as the headphones

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

GokieKS posted:

If for some reason a banana hanger is too fancy for you, I offer an alternative solution:

An L-Bracket and a 3M strip.

ffej
Dec 28, 2003
I actually ended up going with the following for a headphone stand: http://www.head-fi.org/t/523324/new-headphone-stand/210

Works and looks great.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

ffej posted:

I actually ended up going with the following for a headphone stand: http://www.head-fi.org/t/523324/new-headphone-stand/210

Works and looks great.

Reading that page made me want to punch people through my monitor again

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

grack posted:

Reading that page made me want to punch people through my monitor again

I bought 3m wall hooks for storing my headphones on my wall. My SR80i headband looks like poo poo and is deformed now. Good luck re-selling them. The comfort was also poor enough, it's very slightly worse now. So yeah, get something that isn't going to potentially damage your headband if you ever plan to sell your headphones.

jototo posted:

I'm looking at getting a pair of cans. I've been using cheap IEMs and on ear headphones, but I'm looking at getting something bigger for longer listening sessions.

Budget - $100-$150, would be willing to go as high as $200 if it were really worth the extra cash.
Source - Nexus 4, Macbook Air, PC with standard mobo on board sound.
Isolation Requirements - I'd like closed headphones because I will be using them while traveling sometimes, and need them to be quiet at home too.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear, with comfortable pads. Detachable/changable cables would be nice, since a 9 foot cord is cumbersome when not at my desk.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Not sure. I like a bit of bass, but they don't have to be super bassy.
Past Headphones - Had a pair of Grados (SR-80?). I liked the sound but the open design let too much sound out, and they were too... "swivelly" They weren't easy to just pop on my head. They always needed adjustment, and they weren't comfortable after about 30 minutes.
Preferred Music - Hip hop, Alternative, Electronic, a bit of everything.

I'm going through the buyer's guide in the OP, but it's a bit overwhelming

Models I'm considering:
Brainwavz HM5 -they look comfortable, not familiar with the brand
Audio-Technica ATH-M50 - well reviewed, but some have stated they don't live up to the hype
Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 250 ohms - well reviewed, look super comfy, but wouldn't 250ohms be difficult to drive without an amp?
Sony MDR7506

Anything to consider about these models? Any other models I'm overlooking? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Perhaps the HM5/XPT100 (whichever is cheaper) or the HD25-1 II.

Ah Um posted:

Budget - $100-$300
Source - Flac files through usb output to FIO E17
Isolation Requirements - Anything more than the grados would be swell
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - Preferably balanced, but I can always preamp it
Past Headphones - I've been rocking the Grado 225i's for sometime and I'm looking for something closed and with more bass
Preferred Music - Lots of reggae and dub, experimental electronic and chillwave, rap, jazz, some lo fi punk, all kinds of folk

I could use advice on my overall set up, as well as the headphones

Audio Technica A900x!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I just bought some headphones I really like, and I'm happy with them. However, I'm curious. I just saw on Uncrate the AT M50X. What's the word on those? Good? Great? Better 90 dollars better than M50's?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looks like the only changes are detachable cable and some kind of refinement to the earpads. The press release very explicitly states that they have the same sound so I wouldn't think there are any changes there.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
I did some testing and found that my phone is definitely poo poo (fuckin' HTC crap), so I'm borrowing a replacement. In the mean time, I've decided that my IEM's (shure 315) are just not that comfortable, not quite enough base and I can't listen for more than an hour or so without pain and fatigue.

So, refining my search, I'm looking for something that is:
-isolating and must not leak for use on flights/office. This requirement is paramount.
-circum-aural.
-use with mobile phone/laptop
-moderate/nice amount of base with a wide sound stage - I know this might contradict the whole "isolating and doesn't leak" point
-have a hard case of some sort so I can throw them in my bag and not worry about them.
-budget ~$200

What should I look at?

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Feb 25, 2014

Ah Um
Mar 10, 2013

Midorka posted:

I bought 3m wall hooks for storing my headphones on my wall. My SR80i headband looks like poo poo and is deformed now. Good luck re-selling them. The comfort was also poor enough, it's very slightly worse now. So yeah, get something that isn't going to potentially damage your headband if you ever plan to sell your headphones.

Perhaps the HM5/XPT100 (whichever is cheaper) or the HD25-1 II.

Audio Technica A900x!

Even over the Sennheiser HD 598s?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Ah Um posted:

Even over the Sennheiser HD 598s?

HD598 are open.

Edit: I finished my review of the JAYS a-JAYS Five. The short of it is that these are excellent mildly v-shaped IEMs with more clarity and details than many IEMs that are designed to be analytical. Fun and detailed? Awesome. They also come in a version for each smartphone OS, Windows, iOS and Android.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 25, 2014

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Nice, thanks for that review. I've wondered about the Jays stuff in the past. Looks like a good replacement for my klipsch s4is. Never really loved those.

I was thinking about the Shure se215s but I have had shures in the past and I didn't really care for their kind of clunky, old school design.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
I don't think a single gadget has ever profoundly changed my life so quickly (aside from a smart phone) as my senn 650's. I use them for everything. Such a huge quality of life thing.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

priznat posted:

Nice, thanks for that review. I've wondered about the Jays stuff in the past. Looks like a good replacement for my klipsch s4is. Never really loved those.

I was thinking about the Shure se215s but I have had shures in the past and I didn't really care for their kind of clunky, old school design.

Some people complain about the fit. I agree, but find that you can, inconveniently, wear them over ear. You lose ability to use the mic, but the sound will still be great. I never used them for the in-line mic and I found them to still be very great sounding for $100. If they fixed the fit issue I could see these being worth near $200. I truly love them, excellent headphones.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

beergod posted:

I don't think a single gadget has ever profoundly changed my life so quickly (aside from a smart phone) as my senn 650's. I use them for everything. Such a huge quality of life thing.

Glad you're enjoying them! People can't really comprehend the quality of good headphones until they experience it themselves-- this applies to everything in life, really. One day you'll end up with HD800's and then Stax 007's then 009's and you'll wonder why you live in a cardboard box but you don't really care because you can hear every nasally flaw spittle frailly from Chad Kroeger's sissy man palate.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

beergod posted:

I feel the same way about my Shure SHR 1540's. I listened to the 650 too and they were both great. I needed a closed can though.

I am lusting after the Shure SE 846 iem now. 1000 dollars is a lot of money
but you get three sound signatures for that price so... It is still ridiculously priced but they will be mine some day.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Hamelekim posted:

I feel the same way about my Shure SHR 1540's. I listened to the 650 too and they were both great. I needed a closed can though.

I am lusting after the Shure SE 846 iem now. 1000 dollars is a lot of money
but you get three sound signatures for that price so... It is still ridiculously priced but they will be mine some day.

For that much money, an IEM better be custom-molded. There's no going back to universals.

ffej
Dec 28, 2003

KillHour posted:

I'd do the E17 and E09k. They're the updated version.

Thank you for this option. I'm starting to really like this option over the Schiit Modi/Magni stack the more I think about it. I can't switch between headphone and speaker listening with the Modi\Magni stack automatically. I would have to unplug the RCA cables from the Magni and plug them into my Audioengine A5+ speakers and vice-versa to make the switch. I'm not sure if using an RCA splitter (like this or this) to output from the Modi to input into the Magni and the A5+s is a good idea or not. With the splitter audio would be played out of the headphones and the speakers at the same time. The headphone volume would be controlled by the Magni and the speaker volume would be controlled by the knob on the A5+s...or I could use the volume control on the PC to control both. Is that such a big deal?

The Fiio E17 option gives me a portable dac and headphone amp and the E09k gives me outputs for my headphones and my speakers for only $40 more that the M&M stack.

I could go Schiit Asgard 2\Modi stack as the Asgard amp has rca outs but it is $200 more than the M&M stack and $160 more than the Fiio.

Analysis to paralysis...

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

I love Shure SE215's, but I've been through 3 sets in 3 years now that have broken the exact same way, so I figure it's time to accept that they're either victims of poor design or I'm handling them too roughly for their durability:

Budget - <$300

Source - These will be used on my computer through a USB Fasttrack interface and they will be used as actual stage monitors for performing with a radio kit, so they need to be durable.

Isolation Requirements - As long as it's standard for IEM isolation, it should be good.

Preferred Type of Headphone - IEMs only.

Preferred Tonal Balance - I really liked how mellow the 215's profile is. The bass was prominent, but not muddy, and the highs were rolled off. I find highs that are too clean hurt my ears after extended listening.

Past Headphones - I loved everything about the SE215 except that every pair I've owned would have a headphone cut out (this was an issue with the headphone, not the cable). My brother has a pair of Philips Downtowns and the mids sounded like they were playing into a seashell.

Preferred Music - Jungle / Drum & Bass, Post-rock, 80s Post-punk, some Hip-hop and Techno.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

eddiewalker posted:

For that much money, an IEM better be custom-molded. There's no going back to universals.

I have a pair of CIEM's. But weight loss or gain, or a bad impression, or taking off too much material in production can lead to an imperfect seal, which affects sound quality. You can purchase the SE846, and get a custom molded sleeve which will give you the fit of a CIEM along with the resale value of an IEM.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Dunno if these'd fit, but DeciBullz are worth a look if you don't want to spend a ton on custom-molded things. If they can fit your nozzle, they can be re-molded if your ear changes at all.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have two sets of Westone ear plugs (the hearing protection kind, not IEMs) that don't fit quite right anymore thanks to my ears holes getting bigger somehow.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
I've owned two pairs of q-Jays, and when they're working, they're probably still my favorite IEMs. They are absolutely tiny (the only ones small enough that I can stand using while laying in bed on my side) and sounded great (though bass is not its strongest point, something that I don't care much about). Unfortunately, that tiny size also made the junction between the drivers and the cord quite fragile - they start fraying after a while, and both sets only lasted me about a year and a half to two years. After that I decided that I couldn't justify continuously replacing expensive IEMs when I'm listening to 128 kbps or lower podcasts most of the time.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

ffej posted:

Thank you for this option. I'm starting to really like this option over the Schiit Modi/Magni stack the more I think about it. I can't switch between headphone and speaker listening with the Modi\Magni stack automatically. I would have to unplug the RCA cables from the Magni and plug them into my Audioengine A5+ speakers and vice-versa to make the switch. I'm not sure if using an RCA splitter (like this or this) to output from the Modi to input into the Magni and the A5+s is a good idea or not. With the splitter audio would be played out of the headphones and the speakers at the same time. The headphone volume would be controlled by the Magni and the speaker volume would be controlled by the knob on the A5+s...or I could use the volume control on the PC to control both. Is that such a big deal?

The Fiio E17 option gives me a portable dac and headphone amp and the E09k gives me outputs for my headphones and my speakers for only $40 more that the M&M stack.

I could go Schiit Asgard 2\Modi stack as the Asgard amp has rca outs but it is $200 more than the M&M stack and $160 more than the Fiio.

Analysis to paralysis...

Personally I have the Fiio DAC with two 3.5mm outputs, one is 3.5mm to rca to my Schitt Magni, the other directly to my Logitech Z5500. I keep the Fiio at 50-55/60 with no EQ. That way I just reach back and turn on my Magni when I want my headphones on, and can power on/off the speakers from the control pod right next to it.

Although the Magni/Modi stack is very aesthetically pleasing, I think in the end you'll find the convenience best for quality of life.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

beergod posted:

What up 650 buddy :hfive:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

My only problem with the 650's, which I otherwise love, is that the Y-cable sometimes feels a little restrictive when it gets tangled.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Ok so Velodyne vPulse phones. I purchased a pair from this threads recommendation. They were the 2012 revision, key word REVISION. They have incredible sound and bass to kill for. So I bought another pair after the first and after 3 months one of the phones went out and went silent. I sent that pair back and got the 2013 revision vPulse back.

Ready? The new vPulse are redesigned and sound like utter dogshit. The bass is sloppy and boomy. The highs are muted and not nice and mids are resessed. Basically the 2013 vPulse sound like $25 dollar phones.. utter garbage. Also the sound port hole is not only smaller but has this cheap poo poo plastic covering instead of a nice metal grill.

Have a look:

2012 model on left, 2013 model on right, the 2013 model was received directly from Velodyne's RMA dept.

I threw a huge poo poo-fit to their RMA dept and they sent me a pair of the 2012 models.. which are apparently known for one of the sides dieing. loving great.

So in conclusion, take the vPulse off the recommendation list. Their company outsourced the build to some poo poo cheap Chinese company and now they are trash.

[edit] I will say this though. Velodyne has a great RMA dept with good customer support. They have called me personally multiple times about this issue and eventually sent me a 2012 pair of good sounding vPulse. They just called me again and said they were sorry about this fiasco and although they couldn't guaranty a date or anything, they are going to be redesigning them again and hoped to win me as a customer back. I just wanted to be fair with this information.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 27, 2014

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So, can anyone recommend a set of high quality in-ears that have bass comparable to the vPulse while still having good mids and highs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Please use the timg tag instead of img, it won't break the site that way. As for your experience, thanks for sharing I'll update the list as soon as I get home.

As for what to buy, perhaps the JAYS a-JAYS Five, but you may have fit problems like others do.