Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vaga
Feb 21, 2014

krispykremessuck posted:

Anyone here have experience with Mt. Saint Helens in winter? It's been a bit dry around these parts so far with the exception of the last few days, but I'm trying to get it in before the permit season. I've got snowshoes, but so far at least on the eastern flanks of the Olympics they've been entirely unnecessary.

Also if anyone has ever been up El Dorado Peak in the North Cascades I'd appreciate advice on timing.

Oh yeah, and if any BC or Canadian goons have any advice on Garibaldi I'd appreciate that, too.

St. Helens has a ton of snow right now. You'll defiantly need the snow shoes.

As for Eldorado you can climb it all year round at least the E. ridge route as long as the Cascade River Road is open all the way to mile marker 20.

Check out http://www.summitpost.org/ lots of good info on every mountain you could ever want to climb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

I've just heard mixed reviews on many of them, so I was hoping someone would have more first-hand experience.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

PRADA SLUT posted:

I've just heard mixed reviews on many of them, so I was hoping someone would have more first-hand experience.

I bought my mom one with the orange life jacket add-on thing two Christmases ago. Because she always took her 4S kayaking (not white water) and I was afraid she would drop it. She up in Canada last summer kayaking across Lake Bowron and some other places and said it was great to be able to strap her camera down to the boat and be able to grab it in a fraction of the time as her partner who had to fumble through dry bags. Her friend also dumped her kayak on the last day during a portage and ruined her phone. I think my mom said she dropped hers once and the case worked great.

I probably scared her a little before she left trying to convey how carefully those cases need to be checked every time they're unsnapped, but it seemed to have gotten the point across because I've seen her check it 2 or 3 times whenever we get into the boats.

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
That reminds me of a story...
Going to be hiking in fresh snow for the first time this weekend. Any recommendations for good pants and gaiters that would be suitable? I might try getting away with my light hiking pants and some thermals underneath but would still need gaiters at the least (I think).

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I hike in snow all the time with no gaiters, I don't think they're that necessary unless you know you're going to be trudging through deep stuff. They're most useful for muddy trails a few days afterwards in my experience.

If I was going for a multiday backpacking trip where getting dry is really difficult I'd probably take them in the snow, but for a day hike it's unnecessary.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 26, 2014

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
What about fresh snow and off-trail travel? Thats mostly what I will be concerned with this weekend. Also, for pants do you go with softshell, insulated shell pants, or thermals with a rain shell (or something similar) over that?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
First up, nobody needs an insulated shell pants for anything other than riding ski lifts or living in beyond the arctic circle.

Then, 50% of the time, your light hikers & a pair of thermals (with gaiters) will be good enough. After that, move up to softshells, then hardshell if it's just crazy wet & windy or you'll be kneeling/sitting a lot (hunters).

If you're off-trail at all or breaking trail after a new snowfall, you will absolutely want some gaiters. As far as the gaiters themselves go, nobody beats Outdoor Research (for the price). I highly recommend them.

Edit: the conditions when gaiters are necessary depends mostly on the height or your shoes. If you've got 8" waterproof forest service boots, you need them less often than with a pair of trail running shoes. And breaking trail in non-waterproof shoes is going to suck.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 26, 2014

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
Shoes I'm not too worried about. Picked up a pair of Lowa Renegade GTX boots specifically for this kind of hiking. I've broken them in on several hikes already and feel comfortable in them.

Sounds like I should at least invest in some decent gaiters and maybe softshell pants.

Only have been hiking the last 4 years and living in the Los Angeles area never went up in the snow. This year I want to get in to winter hiking to push myself further.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have one for my S3, and my buddy has one for his 5S; they work great for keeping water out and protecting against impacts. You won't be able to hear phone calls in a loud environment, probably, but being able to take photos underwater if your camera app allows volume-button-capture is pretty neat. I've dived to ten feet with my phone in my pocket without issue. I don't even bother with keeping it in a dry box any more, just goes in my pocket.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Vaga posted:

St. Helens has a ton of snow right now. You'll defiantly need the snow shoes.

As for Eldorado you can climb it all year round at least the E. ridge route as long as the Cascade River Road is open all the way to mile marker 20.

Check out http://www.summitpost.org/ lots of good info on every mountain you could ever want to climb.

Thanks. I've used Summit Post a ton, just was wondering if this time of the year is a good time (assuming favorable weather).

As for St. Helens having a ton of snow, that's good and exactly what I wanted.

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have one. They're spendy, they won't save your phone if you smash the face of it on a rock. They will save it from random falls onto hard surfaces (up to a certain height, anyway) and into shallow water. I also like it because comparatively speaking the case is a much lower profile than say an otterbox.

The only downside to me is the charging hinge/port and headphone adapter. Not a problem on the trail because I don't need access to that, but if it's something you're worried about, welp.

HarryPurvis posted:

Sounds like I should at least invest in some decent gaiters and maybe softshell pants.

Get the gaiters, consider the softshell pants. I carry mine (the pants) with me everywhere just in case (PNW) because I don't mind the extra weight, but I've only ever used them for extended glissading. OR gaiters are great and reasonably priced and they're handy for more than just trudging in deep snow. If you expect to glissade and don't want pantlegs full of snow, they'll cut down on some of that. They'll also help keep bugs out, and hell I've stepped in water up to the top of the gaiters and they didn't let much through so...

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Got my JMT permit...ended up getting a Lyell Canyon permit for August 13th start. I got denied all of my first app choices (Happy Isles, Glacier Point, and Lyell Canyon) so I resubmitted for Mirror Lake -> Snow Creek starting the 12th, as well as the 13th, and then Lyell Canyon as my 3rd choice.

Kind of surprised I didn't get the first two since that trailhead isn't full at all according to their trailhead reports that was updated yesterday, but maybe they just don't like people using it for the JMT, or didn't like my first night in the wilderness reply? Weird.

At any rate, starting at Lyell on the 13th is good and we'll have time to acclimate and day hike around, and from what I can tell it's after Lyell that things really get more remote and interesting, and we'll be able to see most of the cool stuff in Yosemite day hiking if we want.

Now on to planning transportation and camp site reservations...

vvv - Yeah I'm scheduled to come out at Whitney on the 29th and if our pace is faster than that, we'll probably take a rest day or do some side hikes. Pretty psyched...if only I didn't have to worry about getting a campsite reservation! At least the backpacker campground is available the day before. I suspect I'll get a site up at Tuluomne Meadows to help acclimate to the altitude a bit...coming from sea level doesn't help, and we'll just shuttle down to the valley or get a ride if our friends decide to come camp with us for a couple of nights

Levitate fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 26, 2014

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Awesome congrats! Having done the hike from Yosemite Valley to Tuolumne Meadows many times, you're not missing much that you won't get later on (although Cloud's Rest is a great view). The hike from Happy Isles to the top of Nevada falls is a nice day hike and would be a nice warm up if you plan on spending a day in the valley before going to the Lyell canyon trail head.

My schedule has me leaving Tuolumne on August 8 and Whitney on August 23ish, so we probably won't end up crossing paths although possibly near the end.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Anyone ever get insomnia while camping? My body is super-fickle about being comfortable when sleeping, and fussing with a bag, small pillow, and air mattress don't help. It's something I can wrestle with even when not camping. Tried 50mg of Benedryl without success. Any thoughts?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Oxford Comma posted:

Anyone ever get insomnia while camping? My body is super-fickle about being comfortable when sleeping, and fussing with a bag, small pillow, and air mattress don't help. It's something I can wrestle with even when not camping. Tried 50mg of Benedryl without success. Any thoughts?

Yes I do but no I don't have any solutions...I've heard that it can take a week or more to get used to sleeping like that, especially if you're at higher altitudes (even sleeping indoors at higher altitudes can be more difficult I hear, if you're not acclimated).

Maybe ear plugs to help block out any noises that might be keeping you up? I know I tend to just be a little more amped in general sleeping outdoors with unknown animals possibly rifling through my stuff

vvvvvvv- That's why you hike faster so you can get to camp earlier and get an afternoon nap!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I've had the same issue at altitude, but I don't have any advice at all besides try changing out your sleeping gear and bring along any sleep aids you can think of since they're worth every pound. A week of hiking on four hours a night is misery in a handbasket though.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
For me it's more of a mental issue: I start thinking about being unable to sleep and get so anxious and stressed from it that I can't sleep. Ugh. Anyways maybe I'll talk to the Goon Doctor about it since thus subject is really beyond the scope if this thread. Thanks!

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006

Levitate posted:

Yes I do but no I don't have any solutions...I've heard that it can take a week or more to get used to sleeping like that, especially if you're at higher altitudes (even sleeping indoors at higher altitudes can be more difficult I hear, if you're not acclimated).

Maybe ear plugs to help block out any noises that might be keeping you up? I know I tend to just be a little more amped in general sleeping outdoors with unknown animals possibly rifling through my stuff

vvvvvvv- That's why you hike faster so you can get to camp earlier and get an afternoon nap!

I would suggest melatonin before heading to bed. Doesn't knock you out per se, but once your asleep you stay that way until morning. Less of a drug hangover affect too.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

HarryPurvis posted:

I would suggest melatonin before heading to bed. Doesn't knock you out per se, but once your asleep you stay that way until morning. Less of a drug hangover affect too.

Be careful with that though, I tried it on my last camping trip because I'd been having trouble sleeping outdoors and I had some pretty intense nightmares and woke up screaming. It really freaked me out.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

Be careful with that though, I tried it on my last camping trip because I'd been having trouble sleeping outdoors and I had some pretty intense nightmares and woke up screaming. It really freaked me out.

Did you ever find anything that works? I was recommended Valarian root or Trazadone.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I could be completely wrong but I thought trazadone was a pretty hefty drug

Honestly I sleep like poo poo at the best of times so waking up all night while backpacking and probably only sleeping an hour at at time isn't that much of a disruption for me so I just kind of deal with it :effort:

I still hear people like ear plugs to help cover up any extra distractions that might keep you up.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Oxford Comma posted:

Anyone ever get insomnia while camping?

Camping or backpacking? If you have problems when backpacking, you're not doing enough miles.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Even when backpacking, I often have trouble sleeping night 1, as in I get like 4 hours.

Night 2, however, I'm so loving tired from undersleeping+miles, I sleep like a stone.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Levitate posted:

I could be completely wrong but I thought trazadone was a pretty hefty drug

It is, that's a depression medication. Though apparently it's sometimes prescribed as a sedative. Don't rely on that person's medical advice unless they're a doctor, Oxford Comma.

Canna Happy posted:

Camping or backpacking? If you have problems when backpacking, you're not doing enough miles.

I've hiked myself stupid and still had problems staying asleep when at altitude. Sleep disturbance is one of the most common symptoms of mild altitude sickness.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 27, 2014

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

If you're really fussy about being super comfortable all the time and can't sleep in a tent without scary drugs then maybe backpacking just isn't the hobby for you.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

In a similar vein, if you're a weakling and get blisters then maybe backpacking just isn't for you.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!
I take 10mg of ambien at night and it works well enough. If you've never hiked on ambien, then well, you probably remember where you've hiked. I definitely sleep better on night 2 though since I'm thinking less of how much more comfortable my real bed is.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I remember back in undergrad I had a rock-hard mattress in my apartment. Never had any trouble sleeping on my thermarest during those years. Made me sleep with good posture, too.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Levitate posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
You should've seen this one coming chucklefuck.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

Kaal posted:

It is, that's a depression medication. Though apparently it's sometimes prescribed as a sedative. Don't rely on that person's medical advice unless they're a doctor, Oxford Comma.

Actually, the person who suggested it *is* a doctor (I'm a nurse and Trazadone is the sleeping med we proscribe more than any other.) She also gave me other suggestions, as well, before trying Rx meds.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
The only time I have trouble sleeping outside are the first night or two at altitude no matter how tired I am which is just part of acclamation. After a night or two I sleep like normal. One of my good friends had no noticeable altitude side effects ... rear end in a top hat.

I use ear plugs to keep out background noise like wind, rain or snoring friends. I'm usually a heavy sleeper but when I'm in a tent in bear country I easily wake up to sticks cracking so the earplugs help. I don't use sleeping drugs because most of my sleep issues are attitude related and meds don't really work for that gently caress waking up from nightmares freaking everyone out.

The one thing I find most unusual is that when I'm home I never have to wake up to use the bathroom. Almost every time I camp I have to wake up in the middle of the night to piss. It gets worse as it gets colder and of course when it's freezing outside and I'm warm in my bag I don't really feel motivated to wake up and go until my bladder is about to burst.

I am going to start looking at new sleeping pads because as a side sleeper it's hard on my shoulder/hip to sleep on my thin thermarest. Any suggestions specifically for a side sleeper?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Kaal posted:

In a similar vein, if you're a weakling and get blisters then maybe backpacking just isn't for you.

I'm not trying to be a dick or anything I just think that being unable to sleep sounds after a long day of hiking sounds miserable and if it's a problem for you then backpacking would probably be really unfun. There's plenty of other fun hobbies and outsidey things you can do besides poorly sleeping in a tent while on drugs that give people horrific nightmares. It's supposed to be fun!

Mary Fucking Poppins
Aug 1, 2002

Pryor on Fire posted:

I'm not trying to be a dick or anything I just think that being unable to sleep sounds after a long day of hiking sounds miserable and if it's a problem for you then backpacking would probably be really unfun. There's plenty of other fun hobbies and outsidey things you can do besides poorly sleeping in a tent while on drugs that give people horrific nightmares. It's supposed to be fun!
Yeah it's miserable, but we could also be productive and offer suggestions that might help people in that situation.

Verman posted:

I am going to start looking at new sleeping pads because as a side sleeper it's hard on my shoulder/hip to sleep on my thin thermarest. Any suggestions specifically for a side sleeper?
I'm a side sleeper, too. I started off using a Therm-a-Rest Ridge Rest but that obviously didn't work too well for me. I bought a Therm-A-Rest Trail Lite and loved it until it developed a leak. But I was treating it a little too recklessly (propping it up against trees to use as a seat), so as long as you treat it with respect I think you'll like it. I haven't bought a replacement yet, so the last time I went out I used the Ridge Rest on top of the 3 life jackets we had and that worked out well.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
I just bought a Thermarest Trail Scout and really like it so far. It's a little heavier than the more expensive pads, but for 50 bucks, you can't beat it.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

I always have trouble sleeping the first night or two of a camping/backpacking trip, but once I sync my body clock with nature and get nice and tired I sleep like a rock.

I sleep on either a thin closed cell foam pad or a Klymit Static V, unless I'm sleeping on snow, in which case I sleep on a Big Agnes insulated pad.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I bring some antihistamines along with my first aid. I have allergies sometimes and don't always sleep well, so it's better than lying awake in the early morning with a stuffy nose.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Verman posted:

Inflatable pads like the Exped UL7 are great for that...but the Exped in particular is pricey. The REI flash pad is like $75 cheaper than the Exped and about the same weight, I didn't have any problem with feeling like I was uncomfortable because of the pad, but it is a mummy shaped pad so you don't have a lot of extra room on it. It packs down quite small though which is nice. The pad itself also doesn't crinkle or make much noise (like some of the thermorest neoair pads do) but I've found it rubs against the silnylon floor of my tent when I move and that's kind of loud.

I might go back to a CC foam pad for my JMT trip but I'm going to have to experiment this summer. They're lighter and you don't have to worry about getting a leak and then suddenly having no padding, but yeah it can do a number on your hips and to be honest I hate how they don't fold down and fit nicely inside the pack. I dislike having a lot of crap hanging off my pack if I can avoid it.

Another suggestion for people having trouble sleeping is to experiment with your pillow situation. Pretty personal thing but I know it bothers me a lot if I can't get my head and neck comfortable. Need to do some more testing this summer but I'm aiming to try a small lightweight down pillow with either some clothes stuff into the bottom, or a collapsable platy bottle slightly inflated with air, to give it some resistance.

Levitate fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Feb 28, 2014

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I'm planning on trying out an Exped inflatable pillow. I feel like down pillows compress the instant I put my head on it and don't really add much support. You could stuff something in there with it but then it ends up being the thickness of whatever you stuffed in there.

I keep hearing about people using their pads as frames in frame-less packs. What pads are they using? The CCF pads only roll up like you mentioned, they don't fold flat to fit in the slots in the pack.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Check out Gossamer Gear. They sell pads that fold up into sections and can be used as a pack frame of sorts. The downside is that they're torso length or 3/4 size. A full size would probably be too big for use as a pack frame though.

They now also have inflatables for the same use

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Saint Fu posted:

I'm planning on trying out an Exped inflatable pillow. I feel like down pillows compress the instant I put my head on it and don't really add much support.

I used an REI down pillow for awhile but wasn't very happy with it. It would always compress into a small pile of uncomfortable lumps. I picked up an exped inflatable and as long as I slip a shirt or something around it to keep it from sliding it works really well, I was pleasantly surprised. I'm a side sleeper so if I don't have good head support then I have to sleep on an arm, which is rarely comfortable throughout the night without a bunch of shifting. On the exped I was able to stay on one side and sleep comfortably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

I just use whatever clothes I'm not wearing as a pillow. Works well enough.