Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Hantama posted:

Is there any good summary, preferably by chapter, of the first stormlight book?
I read it and liked it, but I donīt remember a lot of details somehow and want to be ready for part two.

There's a re-read on the TOR website that does a pretty good job of summarizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Hantama posted:

I read it and liked it, but I donīt remember a lot of details somehow and want to be ready for part two.

Yup, there's an excellent tor re-read chapter-by-chapter here. There are probably others but that's the one I'm using to keep myself up to date before part two. (I say that, but I'll end up re-reading it before release anyway because I'm an idiot. I just know it.)

edit: Oops, beaten to it. By...a lot. My bad.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hantama posted:

Here ya go!
http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/02/when-we-last-left-our-heroes-the-way-of-kings-in-ten-minutes

Tor's also got a chapter-by-chapter reread/summary up as well.

Hantama
Dec 6, 2008
Thanks, those will help me catch up again!

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Two other options:
http://stormlightarchive.wikia.com/wiki/The_Way_of_Kings:_Chapter_Summaries
http://coppermind.net/wiki/The_Way_of_Kings/Summary

Skapegoat
Feb 18, 2011

Hantama posted:

There's a re-read of the Way of Kings on Tor.com. It's not completed yet, but it's pretty much exactly what you're looking for.

http://www.tor.com/features/series/the-way-of-kings-reread-on-torcom

Edit: wow. Beaten like a red-headed step child.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I feel like the voidbringers being the parshendi is either a bluff or nowhere near the full story. The fact that the answer just came so easily and in the first book makes me suspicious.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

TOOT BOOT posted:

I feel like the voidbringers being the parshendi is either a bluff or nowhere near the full story. The fact that the answer just came so easily and in the first book makes me suspicious.

Did you read the excerpts from book 2 (particularly the Parshendi POV chapter)? It seems possible that Voidbringer is one of their "forms" and that they will rediscover it.

But I agree. Though apparently something MAJOR will happen with the Parshendi, including involving the Parshmen that are currently slaves in the human camps ... doesn't bode well.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I'm guessing that the bridge 4 parshman is a spy, but I don't have anything but a hunch to go on.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Uggh. You guys. Come on.

I'll see you on the 7th-ish I guess.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

Yeah, I agree. There must be something more to desolations than just the parshendi, simply because there are not enough parshendi around to cause the amount of destruction that is expected. In previous desolations 90% of the world poulation died, I just can't see how that could be done by the parshmen/parshendi alone consider how few there are. There are quite a bit of parshemn around, but they're still vastly outnumbered by humans. After all, in Kaladin's village (probably 500+ people at the very least) only Rashone had some (probably less than 5) and parshmen are described as much rarer than human slaves (which are only a very small part of human poulation themselves). Midnight essence and thunderclasts are also obviously not parshendi.

McGrady
Jun 27, 2003

The greatest lurker of all the lower class lurkers.
College Slice
My speculation on the voidbringers, from the book 2 chapters:

Parshmen are slave-mode Parshendi and are basically robots. I think that the term voidbringer means a Parshendi turning into a Parshman and leaving themselves a "void". We saw instances of enemy spren (Odium aligned? possibly void-spren?) inhabiting rocks to become thunderclasts. My guess is that a voidbringer is a Parshman that lost their personality and were then open to be controlled by those enemy spren. They basically turn into Odium controlled Radiants, and it would only take a few hundred of those to decimate everything.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Just got a notification that my copy is already in the mail, should arrive tommarow. Maybe amazon is being generous with release day arrival since I thought it wasn't supposed to come out for at least a week.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Oh great, I just realized that my hard copy will likely be delayed due to Mardi Gras.

God I loving hate this state :bang:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

404GoonNotFound posted:

Oh great, I just realized that my hard copy will likely be delayed due to Mardi Gras.

You should be too drunk (and/or hungover, if you did Lundi Gras right) to read on Mardi Gras anyway.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

404GoonNotFound posted:

Brandon's apparently pushing as hard as he can to get an ebook tied to the hardcopy.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

404GoonNotFound posted:

Just go party and read it later

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Tunicate posted:

Brandon's apparently pushing as hard as he can to get an ebook tied to the hardcopy.

If he did it'd be the first physical book I buy in years. I don't have a problem with that.

Hantama
Dec 6, 2008

404GoonNotFound posted:

You could buy the ebook on Amazon and return it once you have your physical book.
Maybe not the nicest of doing it, but if you really need to read it the day its out it may be an option.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Hantama posted:

You could buy the ebook on Amazon and return it once you have your physical book.
Maybe not the nicest of doing it, but if you really need to read it the day its out it may be an option.

If you do so, keep in mind that the ebook return policy is fairly short - 7 days at best.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

I'm literally buying the kindle edition because the physical copy won't fit in my bag a long with my engineering books.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Luminaflare posted:

I'm literally buying the kindle edition because the physical copy won't fit in my bag a long with my engineering books.

I can't physically hold books that big any more due to RSI in my wrists from my last job. Hell, I can barely hold a smallish paperback without my hands going numb. A Memory of Light was an exhausting read, physically.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Must resist urge... to preview on google books...

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I'm getting the kindle edition too. I'll probably buy the hardcover at some point too because I'm that kind of horrible nerd, but not for a while.

I have now for the first time in my life finished every paper I have at least two weeks early so that my schedule will be clear for Words of Radiance. :argh: Dammit Sanderson, you are making me into a responsible person!

McGrady
Jun 27, 2003

The greatest lurker of all the lower class lurkers.
College Slice

Tunicate posted:

Must resist urge... to preview on google books...

I checked out the google preview because I thought it was just the TOR chapters and scrolled to the end to see if I missed anything and of course the ONE line I read was a mega-spoiler from like page 450. :cry:

I didn't realize it would be random pages from the book!!

Yeroc2
Aug 13, 2003

"The glow is the combination of all your past lives, focusing their energy through your body."
Grimey Drawer

McGrady posted:

I checked out the google preview because I thought it was just the TOR chapters and scrolled to the end to see if I missed anything and of course the ONE line I read was a mega-spoiler from like page 450. :cry:

I didn't realize it would be random pages from the book!!

It also has Chapter 7 and I can see why they omitted it from the preview chapters.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Wait, Words of Radiance is up on Google Books?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Cicero posted:

Wait, Words of Radiance is up on Google Books?

Parts of it. I'm not the type of person to get anal about spoilers, so I'm enjoying reading random pages. I've seen a few doozies so far.

For other spoiler-happy people like me, (page 1064) Is that Nightblood from Warbreaker?!?

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 26, 2014

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Yeah it's there search for Kaladin and you'll get it. Random pages but a decent sampling.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Huh, looks like I may want to stay out of this thread for a while. Don't want to inadvertently spoil myself when I accidentally mouse-over something.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Yep, I'll be back whenever I finish the book. I was planning to read it over spring break but I realized it comes out on the 4th and I'll probably stay up late and be done by the 6th.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Can one of you post a link. I can't seem to find it.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Fezz posted:

Can one of you post a link. I can't seem to find it.

http://books.google.com/books?id=cZ...epage&q&f=false

Keep in mind it's not really readable. You get a few consecutive pages, then a gap (sometimes of hundreds of pages). It's great if you enjoy context-free spoilers, which I do.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

And it's gone.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

My copy was waiting for me when I got home, so was the one a friend ordered, now I have to choose between finishing my current book and starting this one early. The book itself is just as massive as the last couple of WOT books, and even is thicker than lord of chaos.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Just finished The Way of Kings. Waiting for my kindle preorder of book 2 to unlock. How is Mistborn for the interim? Same world? Random other world? Good? Bad?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Just read Mistborn

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

nucleicmaxid posted:

Just finished The Way of Kings. Waiting for my kindle preorder of book 2 to unlock. How is Mistborn for the interim? Same world? Random other world? Good? Bad?
Different world, different story, really goddamn good. Read it.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Ika posted:

My copy was waiting for me when I got home, so was the one a friend ordered, now I have to choose between finishing my current book and starting this one early. The book itself is just as massive as the last couple of WOT books, and even is thicker than lord of chaos.
My god. I'm so excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

bowmore posted:

Just read Mistborn

theshim posted:

Different world, different story, really goddamn good. Read it.

Well, guess I'll be reading Mistborn! Thanks.