Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

DeusExMachinima posted:

I've never seen a Watain video. Show me. Which one should I watch?

In Flames is holding on line one for you. :homebrew:

Sadly enough the hold music is Episode 666

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Most bands who become extremely popular tour a lot. They see what music crowds respond to live and write more music like that. This generally means catchier, pop-like stuff, sing-along choruses, and bouncy grooves. They get feedback that this is good in the form of a good response from a growing audience.

This still doesn't fully explain how In Flames went from having 3-4 guitar parts as the centerpiece of the music to trying to make a vocal-driven hard rock album with Anders Friden fronting the band. :(

For posterity, here's some generic American melodeath from 2002.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rIo0Y22myA

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I saw Gojira last night and they were loving awesome. Heaviest band I've ever seen. Flying Whales was just devastating.

Tonight I have Amon Amarth\Gwar. Tomorrow I'm seeing Clutch and then Friday I'm going to the Soundwave festival.

This is a freaking awesome week, but gently caress it's going to hurt.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Gojira in August 2012 was the sweatiest show I've ever been to. Got tossed around like a ragdoll during Backbone.

giantaw
Sep 20, 2002

I saw Gojira on the recent tour with Slayer and they were amazing. Really looking forward to seeing them with Mastodon (!) in May.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

DeusExMachinima posted:

In Flames is holding on line one for you. :homebrew:

I haven't enjoyed a single drat thing they've done since Jester Race.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Tim Lambesis has pled guilty to attempting to put a hit out on his wife and now looks at nine years in prison.

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy

Fenrir posted:

Colony was good and Clayman had a few decent songs, but other than that, what a craptastic band.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bia9gsCyyFk

:okpos:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Zodijackylite posted:

Most bands who become extremely popular tour a lot. They see what music crowds respond to live and write more music like that. This generally means catchier, pop-like stuff, sing-along choruses, and bouncy grooves. They get feedback that this is good in the form of a good response from a growing audience.
This one. Everyone loves to be loved, and what better way to measure that than tens of thousands of people showing up to one of your performances?

Xenochrist
Sep 11, 2006

giantaw posted:

I saw Gojira on the recent tour with Slayer and they were amazing. Really looking forward to seeing them with Mastodon (!) in May.

Gojira + Mastodon would already be an amazing bill itself...but with the addition of Kvelertak it's loving incredible :worship:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Fenrir posted:

Definitely the high point but...Whoracle and some of Colony? Half-beaten.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
Besides Colony and Clayman, R2R and Soundtrack had maybe 2 or 3 good songs but Come Clarity really sucked rear end, it's just best not to bother with their recent work.

TheIllestVillain fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Feb 26, 2014

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
The "When did In Flames fall off" debate never ends well imo.

baby duck hat
Jan 29, 2005
baby duck hat
Came out of lurking to see if anyone had mentioned the new Woods of Desolation album and I can't find anything.

I can't recommend it enough. For lovers of atmospheric black metal with amazing melodies and post-rock influences. The cover art says it all.

STREAMING HERE:

https://woodsofdesolation.bandcamp.com/

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
There's been some chat about the album in the Black Metal thread, it's pretty good, but I don't like it as much as Torn Beyond Reason. I saw Exhumed last night and it was a hell of a lot of fun. Ended up at the bar during Toxic Holocaust though.

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

nomapple posted:

I saw Exhumed last night and it was a hell of a lot of fun. Ended up at the bar during Toxic Holocaust though.

I saw Exhumed on Monday on the same tour. It was awesome to see a band live that I used to listen to ages ago. I don't think I heard any of their stuff after Slaughtercult, but hearing Limb from Limb live made my night.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

baby duck hat posted:

Came out of lurking to see if anyone had mentioned the new Woods of Desolation album and I can't find anything.

I liked M83 better when they used synths.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

het posted:

The "When did In Flames fall off" debate never ends well imo.

Can you really call it falling if you start at the bottom? :smug:

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

baby duck hat posted:

I can't recommend it enough. For lovers of atmospheric black metal with amazing melodies and post-rock influences. The cover art says it all.
I dunno, I don't exactly dislike this sort of thing but the aesthetic often seems kinda confused to me. Like melodically I wouldn't really call it black metal, and I think some of the aspects they retain from black metal (specifically the vocals) don't fit very well. While Alcest's recent stuff isn't necessarily my favorite, I like that it at least sounds aesthetically coherent, they're okay just making tremolo-picked post rock and not having these out-of-place black metal vocals. It's no coincidence that the most interesting song on that Woods of Desolation album is instrumental.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
Malevolent Creation: "We have fired our gay drummer."

http://www.metalsucks.net/2014/02/26/malevolent-creation-fired-gay-drummer/

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Holy crap Malevolent Creation have released 11 albums. I honestly can't think of another death metal act that have maintained such a level of utter mediocrity for such a long period of time other than maybe Cannibal Corpse and Rogga

baby duck hat
Jan 29, 2005
baby duck hat

het posted:

I dunno, I don't exactly dislike this sort of thing but the aesthetic often seems kinda confused to me. Like melodically I wouldn't really call it black metal, and I think some of the aspects they retain from black metal (specifically the vocals) don't fit very well. While Alcest's recent stuff isn't necessarily my favorite, I like that it at least sounds aesthetically coherent, they're okay just making tremolo-picked post rock and not having these out-of-place black metal vocals. It's no coincidence that the most interesting song on that Woods of Desolation album is instrumental.

Haha the weird combination of aesthetic is appealing to me. I don't know how it would work with clean vocals, I think it would be too cheesy? I do like the instrumentals but I prefer the songs with vocals. I guess this is a love it or hate it album for some.

Can you recommend me any good Alcest to start with? I've never actually heard any of it!

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

baby duck hat posted:

Haha the weird combination of aesthetic is appealing to me. I don't know how it would work with clean vocals, I think it would be too cheesy?
It already sounds cheesy, haha :) I mean, yeah, it's a "weird" combination, in the sense that it strikes me as too on-the-nose about it. Like "gosh, you made pretty music and then screamed unpleasantly about it, what an inspired artistic decision", you know? I mean, that's overly reductive but I think it's really easy for this kind of thing to sound kinda lazy and uninspired.

quote:

Can you recommend me any good Alcest to start with? I've never actually heard any of it!
Well to see what I'm specifically talking about I guess check out their most recent, Shelter, but Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde is probably a better/more liked album, and you'd probably be interested in the first Alcest EP Le Secret. You should also listen to the Amesoeurs EP Ruines Humaines because it's from the same dude and is spectacular, though it is resolutely not the bright sunny sorts of sounds

baby duck hat
Jan 29, 2005
baby duck hat

het posted:

It already sounds cheesy, haha :) I mean, yeah, it's a "weird" combination, in the sense that it strikes me as too on-the-nose about it. Like "gosh, you made pretty music and then screamed unpleasantly about it, what an inspired artistic decision", you know? I mean, that's overly reductive but I think it's really easy for this kind of thing to sound kinda lazy and uninspired.

Well to see what I'm specifically talking about I guess check out their most recent, Shelter, but Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde is probably a better/more liked album, and you'd probably be interested in the first Alcest EP Le Secret. You should also listen to the Amesoeurs EP Ruines Humaines because it's from the same dude and is spectacular, though it is resolutely not the bright sunny sorts of sounds

Thanks for the recommendations, I seriously must be the only person alive who hasn't heard ANY Alcest. To be honest I've been scared because there's so much hype surrounding it.

As for the Woods of Desolation album, I think I need my Black Metal to be a little bit ugly underneath it all. :)

baby duck hat
Jan 29, 2005
baby duck hat

nomapple posted:

There's been some chat about the album in the Black Metal thread, it's pretty good, but I don't like it as much as Torn Beyond Reason. I saw Exhumed last night and it was a hell of a lot of fun. Ended up at the bar during Toxic Holocaust though.

There's a black metal thread? How did I not see this? To find it I go,

I saw Exhumed almost ten years ago, they were pretty good back then also from memory. It's good to see a band play a live show and live up to expectation!

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

baby duck hat posted:

Thanks for the recommendations, I seriously must be the only person alive who hasn't heard ANY Alcest. To be honest I've been scared because there's so much hype surrounding it.

As for the Woods of Desolation album, I think I need my Black Metal to be a little bit ugly underneath it all. :)
I'm not saying "black metal shouldn't be ugly", I'm saying "this just sounds like post-rock with tremolo picking and harsh vocals", heh.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

baby duck hat posted:

Haha the weird combination of aesthetic is appealing to me. I don't know how it would work with clean vocals, I think it would be too cheesy?

Maybe it would sound a little like Astronoid???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb3rftU6Pyo

Johnny Cage
Sep 7, 2004

Doin' big things

m-o-o-n posted:

Holy crap Malevolent Creation have released 11 albums. I honestly can't think of another death metal act that have maintained such a level of utter mediocrity for such a long period of time other than maybe Cannibal Corpse and Rogga

Retribution is one of the best old school death metal albums.

I think their early stuff Eternal and before is all around great, not sure why they get overlooked.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

m-o-o-n posted:

I rather like Retribution and Ten Commandments, but that is their very early stuff. I haven't listened to anything beyond that.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

baby duck hat posted:

This just reminded me that Wildernessking released a new EP a couple of weeks ago. It's a great blend of their current atmospheric sound and their earlier black 'n roll days when they were Heathens.

http://wildernessking.bandcamp.com/releases

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Radio Paranoia posted:

This just reminded me that Wildernessking released a new EP a couple of weeks ago. It's a great blend of their current atmospheric sound and their earlier black 'n roll days when they were Heathens.

http://wildernessking.bandcamp.com/releases

There's some weird post-rock and hardcore vibes to this that work way better than they usually do in this kind of stuff. Cool stuff.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
This should be pretty easy, I need some new gym music and all kinds of metal fit well with me. Favorites right now are Soilwork, In Flames, Atreyu, Cradle of Filth, Children of Bodom... I know there's more similar bands out there, can anyone help out? I guess the pattern is heavy riffs between melodic choruses

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Skilleddk posted:

This should be pretty easy, I need some new gym music and all kinds of metal fit well with me. Favorites right now are Soilwork, In Flames, Atreyu, Cradle of Filth, Children of Bodom... I know there's more similar bands out there, can anyone help out? I guess the pattern is heavy riffs between melodic choruses

Amon Amarth of course.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Skilleddk posted:

Candiria is a horrible nu metal lifting guilty pleasure of mine. I know it's lame, I don't care, it picks stuff up and puts it down.

Slaughter of the soul by At the Gates.

Listen to the latest Mors Principium Est if you want to be able to look in the mirror when you're done, its melodeath but good.

Also get swamplord by Kalmah. Pretty much required for a fan of melodeath like yourself.

Pig Destroyer if you're in the gym after a particularly nasty break up.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Skilleddk posted:

Get:

The Fall of Ideals by All That Remains
End of Heartache by Killswitch Engage
The War Within by Shadows Fall
Holographic Universe by Scar Symmetry
Sirens by It Dies Today (this is admittedly a really guilty pleasure)
The Truth by Bleeding Through
The Oncoming Storm by Unearth
Undoing Ruin by Darkest Hour
Character by Dark Tranquillity
Tomorrow We Die Alive by Born of Osiris

That should last you a while.

You also may want to check the -core thread

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Vader is the one true lifting band.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Skilleddk posted:

Amon Amarth has already been mentioned, but I think Symphony X fits the bill too.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Defiant Sally posted:

Vader is the one true lifting band.

The gym, true home of the Morbid Reich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Skilleddk posted:

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Also get swamplord by Kalmah. Pretty much required for a fan of melodeath like yourself.

Was just typing this before I scrolled back and saw you beat me to it :argh:

Kumbamontu's list is also good, but if I was gonna recommend an All That Remains album for lifting it would be Overcome.

Also, it's not melodeath but for heavy riffs and melodic choruses, get yourself some Fear Factory man. Start with like, Demanufacture or The Industrialist. They've been my favorite workout band since the 90s.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 28, 2014