Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

Was it an actual boycott or a gamer's boycott, i.e, they all bought the game anyway? I imagine it was the latter.
No telling, and while they were vocal, they were still the minority. I could imagine a L4D2 scenario going down here. What irritates me the most about it is that they wouldn't give a poo poo if it was any other form of censorship. Like, editing the story or something like that. The only reason they care is because they made an alternate costume for their tiny, low-res teenager slightly less revealing. That brand of self-entitledness just pisses me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also yeah all the in game class outfits are loving amazing and amazingly not lovely. It's just that the girls have an extra costume each (One is DLC) that's kind of gross.

A few of them are really hilariously stupid, though (like Ranger on anybody or Arcanist on the girls).

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

Was it an actual boycott or a gamer's boycott, i.e, they all bought the game anyway? I imagine it was the latter.

It wasn't a boycott. It was a bunch of people posting threads labelled Bravely Censored to basically "troll" people interested in the game, make fun of Nintendo products and grandstand about how the evils of censorship violates their rights to do things that are creepy, weird and possibly illegal.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

To be honest though, considering it's 4chan it's hard to tell how many people legitimately believed it and how many people were just trying to add fuel to the fire for comedy's sake.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pesky Splinter posted:

You're not kidding;

Only thing missing is the sweet red-mage hat though.

The red mage's most important stat is panache; this game acknowledges that fact.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

A few of them are really hilariously stupid, though (like Ranger on anybody or Arcanist on the girls).

Sorry, Ranger owns for the first time ever. Just wearing the pelts of the poo poo you hunt, none of this Robin Hood garbage from the rest of the FF franchise.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

The red mage's most important stat is panache; this game acknowledges that fact.

Bring back the pimp hat

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Livingtrope posted:

Bring back the pimp hat

No, the only classes worth using on Ringabel are the ones that don't hide his amazing pompadour. And that Red Mage outfit was made for him. Leave the hat off.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Tiz could use the hat, though.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I was really pumped that Fang showed up and joined Lightning, but the dungeoncrawling isn't much fun, unfortunately. Still, I got a good laugh at the quest with the little robot. It got a more heartfelt death-scene than Serah! Or any other character in the trilogy. Best part is that I'm sure it was intended as a sad scene that you were supposed to take seriously. Lightning sounded like she was about to start crying :psyduck:

Godspeed, Bhakti, you brave little robot.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Feb 25, 2014

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Renoistic posted:

I was really pumped that Fang showed up and joined Lightning, but the dungeoncrawling isn't much fun, unfortunately. Still, I got a good laugh at the quest with the little robot. It got a more heartfelt death-scene than Serah! Or any other character in the trilogy. Best part is that I'm sure it was intended as a sad scene that you were supposed to take seriously. Lightning sounded like she was about to start crying :psyduck:

Godspeed, Bhakti, you brave little robot.

Wait wait, Bhakti came back to taunt another game in the trilogy with how superior they are to all other writing in the game? Hahaha.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Barudak posted:

Wait wait, Bhakti came back to taunt another game in the trilogy with how superior they are to all other writing in the game? Hahaha.

Nope it's a different robot with the same name and he basically does this except it's not supposed to be funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psidz_-s00c&t=36s

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

Apparently SE is releasing a new Mana -game in Japan this week...and it's a free to play mobile game: http://toucharcade.com/2014/02/26/rise-of-mana-announced-for-japan/ :allears:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
FF IV on iOS is currently half off, if anyone else here was like me and waiting for a sale.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is it me or does the Find Passages skill in FFV completely lose its utility very early in the game? :confused:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

Is it me or does the Find Passages skill in FFV completely lose its utility very early in the game? :confused:

Theres a few scattered about where its nice to have but, honestly, you don't need a single thing behind them. If you make it to the end start enjoying the fakeout passages the game likes to put around places.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Mak0rz posted:

There's hidden passages right up until the endgame, so. I'm not sure if it works on one of them, though.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Mak0rz posted:

There are a few places, like in ExDeath's castle where you can mostly skip some long windy rooms by just walking through a wall. But overall it's not a very useful skill to have, especially if you have access to internet maps.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Risutora posted:

Apparently SE is releasing a new Mana -game in Japan this week...and it's a free to play mobile game: http://toucharcade.com/2014/02/26/rise-of-mana-announced-for-japan/ :allears:

It looks...not horrible? Maybe it'll end up being a fluke good game like BD, or at least better than the last bunch of Mana games. It'd be nice to have that series back proper after petering out like it did.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Either chapter 2 or 5, depending on who you ask.

Chapter 2 is when it just gets Game of Thrones levels of :stare: complete with two children beating each other to death while you fight a boss.

Chapter 5 is where the slog apparently starts but you can always just turn off encounters which seems to help tremendously.

Barudak posted:

Bravely Default is really drat good and I'd buy a sequel in a heartbeat although I'm only at Chapter 4 and it still doesn't feel like I have access to reliable sources of JP to get my jobs up.

You do. I did a considerable amount of grinding in chapter 4 (about an hour but it took me from the high 50s to 70-71). If you have salve-maker you're good to go:

Give your salve-maker as much speed as possible, and the attack item amp passive skill. Equip other party members with the alarm earring and gale hairpin to increase your pre-emptives and lower the enemy pre-emptives.

- Give Hermes Sandals/Shoes to the salve-maker and maybe a speed boost passive if you can spare it, just to ensure they always have enough speed no matter the job/job lvl they're in.

- Put the JP Up passive on everyone.

- Buy 99 Pholgoston. I forget what level your component shop needs to be but I don't think it's too high.

- Have the salve maker brave for 4 actions and then have them compound 2 pholgostons 4x, this will result in them uses 4 Bomb Arms, which will crit almost every daytime enemy by the town in chapter 4. Things should die in 2-3 uses (but the 4th is insurance) since with attack item amp the crits are around 3300 damage. When night comes go use the inn because the night guys aren't weak to fire and you can get solo fights which will gently caress your Sweeper bonus.

- Everyone else defaults (as to not get in the way).

- Restock on your compounding item after using the inn, head south out of town and repeat as you'd like.

You can just run in circles killing poo poo and since your fast guy should be going before the wolves, mandragora, and mushroom things (not weak to fire but die in 3-4 amp'd item uses) you'll get all 3 combat bonuses. The Hero-tier bonuses are +50%, so the 6 Mandragoras will give 300ish JP (before the JP Up boost). You'll also be making money steadily. I bought the Golden and Growth Eggs while doing this, and put on the Growth Egg for awhile and the doubled JP mean upwards of 600JP from fights (again, before the JP Up boost). I'm sure it's faster elsewhere later on, but you can easily max a few jobs in no time doing this.

Barudak posted:

FF Dimensions exists too, you know. I mean, Bravely Default is way better but we shouldn't ignore all the spin-off bastard children of FFV.

When it comes to writing quality you should absolutely ignore Final Fantasy Dimensions. I'd pay an extra $5 to be able to blank out every line Abba utters in that game. :sigh:

Kyrosiris posted:

Yup. I'd actually feel okay with saying that nearly every mechanical change made to FFIII DS was a bad one.

In the original NES version, you got Capacity Points after a battle, and you spent those to change jobs. None of the stat-weakening "transition period" poo poo. It just cost more CP to jump from a physical job to a magical job, or what have you.

HP Gains were still job based though, so people who were leveled as casters got hosed while that black belt could turn in to a high HP Sage no problem.

Pesky Splinter posted:

I see what you mean about the DLC ones, though.

The best part of that image is how Edea's happier in the outfit that has more clothing. Even she thinks the original sucks.

In addition to the totally-not-pedophiles bitching about the redone costumes, people complained because the age in the US version is 18ish for the characters instead of something like 15-16.

As awesome as the Red Mage outfits are the guy you get them from is pretty much the person every PUA tries to be whether they realize it or not.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Chapter 2 is when it just gets Game of Thrones levels of :stare: complete with two children beating each other to death while you fight a boss.

Game of Thrones has incest and rape as regular things.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Evil Fluffy posted:

As awesome as the Red Mage outfits are the guy you get them from is pretty much the person every PUA tries to be whether they realize it or not.
And Ringabel spends two nights in a row staying up all night to get lucky learn his "technique" :allears:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
^^^^ yeah I'd forgotten about that. Ringabel is both the best and worst party member.

Livingtrope posted:

Game of Thrones has incest and rape as regular things.

Yeah and Chapter 2 is just piece after piece of horrible poo poo, ranging from the aforementioned incident to a forest being wiped out, Orochi harvested for venom and made in to hair dye that drives the users insane and super PUA DeRosa who harvests women for a chemical byproduct created from them using things like the hair dye, that is used on more women who he then harvests to use on more women...etc.

So while it's not rape(though in the one case there probably is) and incest it's still seven sorts of hosed up.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Barudak posted:

Theres a few scattered about where its nice to have but, honestly, you don't need a single thing behind them.

Saigyouji posted:

There's hidden passages right up until the endgame, so. I'm not sure if it works on one of them, though.

Schwartzcough posted:

But overall it's not a very useful skill to have, especially if you have access to internet maps.

It helped me get a few chests in the Pyramid of Moore, at least.

Speaking of the pyramid: It is a really awful dungeon and I loving hate it :argh:

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Mak0rz posted:

It helped me get a few chests in the Pyramid of Moore, at least.

Speaking of the pyramid: It is a really awful dungeon and I loving hate it :argh:

I absolutely love FFV, but yeah, I dread doing the Pyramid every time. It's just so damned tedious.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Evil Fluffy posted:

^^^^ yeah I'd forgotten about that. Ringabel is both the best and worst party member.
Honestly, I'm impressed they managed to make him funny and likable and totally not a rapist. Especially given the Sage, who is basically what COULD have happened to Ringabel... it's pretty impressive. He doesn't creep me out and I like to hear him talk. His banter with Edea is also fun to listen to and totally doesn't make me cringe!

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

What I dislike most about the Pyramid is that - due to my self-imposed "try to keep everyone relatively equal" - I basically skip everything the first time and then have to make a second trip with Lenna to actually loot the place.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vil posted:

What I dislike most about the Pyramid is that - due to my self-imposed "try to keep everyone relatively equal" - I basically skip everything the first time and then have to make a second trip with Lenna to actually loot the place.

Everyone will be equal when you hit level 99.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Vil posted:

Yeah, I'm the same way. Though on the upside, all the running away helps to power up the Chicken Knife quicker.

Barudak posted:

Everyone will be equal when you hit level 99.

Why would you bother grinding that high in FFV, though?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
If you beat FFIX wearing a full set of Hawaiian gear, does it change the ending? I know about Cinna's hammer but I was never sure what the deal was with this.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Excels posted:

If you beat FFIX wearing a full set of Hawaiian gear, does it change the ending? I know about Cinna's hammer but I was never sure what the deal was with this.

Nah, none of that does anything. The only things that change the ending are the Hammer and the Save the Queen.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

If enemies in the final dungeon actually gave XP I'd have hit that number a loooong time ago. You'll end up in the like 70s if you do the post-game bonus dungeon.

I've never gotten to 99, I stop leveling when I max out jobs.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

No. It's just a self-imposed challenge/a joke item. I think if FFIX were a modern game that those items would change everyone's models, which would be great. I'd like to think Steiner would wear his Hawaiian gear over his armor.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

W.T. Fits posted:

I think the more appropriate question would be "how could you grind that high in FF5," considering it takes around an hour in one of the best places to grind in the game to gain a level on the fastest emulator speedup once you hit around 80.

It was me, I was the one who just had to beat Omega with two Black Mages and two Berserkers for the 5JF :smith:

Zonko_T.M. posted:

No. It's just a self-imposed challenge/a joke item. I think if FFIX were a modern game that those items would change everyone's models, which would be great. I'd like to think Steiner would wear his Hawaiian gear over his armor.
I always wished that they included, like, an alternate model for them in the ending if you finished the game wearing the stuff, but alas.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Zonko_T.M. posted:

If FFIX were a modern game, everything fun or interesting would be DLC.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't think you can make every character, story, setting, piece of music, and insane CG cutscenes into DLC. I mean at that point it's an episodic game. The gameplay should get an update though and would be super good.

Oh wait, you could make Hot and Cold DLC! THE FIENDS!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Don't listen to these chumps, Hawaiian gear totally changes the ending. See, instead of what happens, it turns out Necron has been stealing the souls of humanity using, I dunno, void power or something, and Zidane uses the power of friendship and the Eidolons to stab Necron in the forehead with his dagger and Necron sinks back into the abyss. But because there always has to be somebody representing death Kuja comes back out of nowhere and blasts Zidane back into the world, which has been recreated to be modern day Earth. Zidane gets out of a train on Hawaii and promises to find you, the player, for he is your husbando.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I don't think you can make every character, story, setting, piece of music, and insane CG cutscenes into DLC. I mean at that point it's an episodic game. The gameplay should get an update though and would be super good.

Oh wait, you could make Hot and Cold DLC! THE FIENDS!

I would straight up buy a Hot and Cold handheld or phone game, it's the best :colbert:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gologle posted:

Zidane gets out of a train on Hawaii and promises to find you, the player, for he is your husbando.
I find this image particularly amusing because the only train left in Hawaii is an old sugar cane engine that's been converted into a tourist trap that loops around a track with no stops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Now I'm hurting for a IX HD remake. :negative:

Or even just doing something like this to the character models:

Original:

Retextured low poly models.

I just want Zidane and co in straw hats...is that so much to ask SE? :smith: