Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Spikeguy posted:

The censoring on ECW is definitely not complete. They've caught most of the f bombs, but Balls Mahoney most definitely said loving very loud and clear during his promo against the Dudleys on Heat Wave '99.

They also didn't censor Francine's ladybits from the end of Guilty as Charged '99.

...has anyone checked the status of Willaim Regal's wang shot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Well, generally it seems the Most Popular stuff is more recent stuff: http://network.wwe.com/search/most-popular

There's some old stuff mixed in, but the most popular is the original content and Mania 2013 so far.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Spikeguy posted:

Checking out November to Remember '00 now. I caught ECW between '97 and '99 so this stuff is all new to me. I know the company isn't going to be around a lot longer but man they still have some pretty large crowds for what it is.

ECW was drawing record crowds right before it went out of business.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

EugeneJ posted:

ECW was drawing record crowds right before it went out of business.

Yeah, they were making money hand-over-fist around late 2000, Heyman's money management was just THAT bad.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
There was a rumor going around that PPVs, even Mania 30, would not be available until after 30 days for the Network after they aired. Dave Meltzer got clarification that this is not the case. PPVs, after airing, will be immediately made available on demand.

Royal Rumble and Elimination Chamber 2014 are the only exceptions, with Rumble likely being available within the next few days and Chamber being available in about a month.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I'm digging the network so far but I'm a little disappointed in the lack of older Raw episodes and any Nitros (or Clash of the Champions!). I think they should have made an effort to get at least 50-100 of the most important ones of the last 20 years at launch. If a major title change took place on an episode it should be up.

Has there been any estimate on when the old episodes of Raw/Nitro/Smackdown/etc would be up? Getting new PPVs for $10/month is worth the network alone, but I was excited about pulling up old shows I remember and seeing if they were as great as I remember.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Niwrad posted:

Has there been any estimate on when the old episodes of Raw/Nitro/Smackdown/etc would be up?

As far as I know they haven't actually said they would have an entire archive of old TV episodes.

I seem to remember Meltzer even saying at one point that they were looking into rotating things in & out, so you couldn't just sign up for one 6-month block and see everything you're interested in.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Niwrad posted:

I'm digging the network so far but I'm a little disappointed in the lack of older Raw episodes and any Nitros (or Clash of the Champions!). I think they should have made an effort to get at least 50-100 of the most important ones of the last 20 years at launch. If a major title change took place on an episode it should be up.

Has there been any estimate on when the old episodes of Raw/Nitro/Smackdown/etc would be up? Getting new PPVs for $10/month is worth the network alone, but I was excited about pulling up old shows I remember and seeing if they were as great as I remember.

Only thing we have is that the Monday Night War show starts in the summer.

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

Is there thought to replacing the scratch logo with the Network version eventually? Can't be many brand managers out there who would consent to having three logo variations for one company, including that horrendous old-school WWE one.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

emjayo posted:

Is there thought to replacing the scratch logo with the Network version eventually? Can't be many brand managers out there who would consent to having three logo variations for one company, including that horrendous old-school WWE one.

It seems they're moving that way, but nothing official yet.

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

Batista posted:

Yeah, makes sense. Soft roll out, establish the network as the face of sports entertainment, then spread it company-wide.

e: Plus, they've gotta use up all the scratch-logo stationary first.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

VogeGandire posted:

Yeah, they were making money hand-over-fist around late 2000, Heyman's money management was just THAT bad.

This is a grossly incorrect assessment of what happened in 2000. They were not making money hand over fist. They did start drawing better crowds in 99-2000, but costs were way way up and the big PPV money that was expected to save the company in 97 and then after the TNN deal never came. They were bringing in more revenue but with greatly elevated expenses to bring in that revenue. This wasn't a case of poor money management, it was the same basic case as SMW, a company that was too big to be small and too small to be big.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Batista posted:

According to Meltzer they bought a load of scratch logo branded stuff just before launching the Network, and there's the logo on the new WWE Championship. They're not changing the company logo any time soon.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

triplexpac posted:

As far as I know they haven't actually said they would have an entire archive of old TV episodes.

I seem to remember Meltzer even saying at one point that they were looking into rotating things in & out, so you couldn't just sign up for one 6-month block and see everything you're interested in.

I think this would be a huge mistake on their part. You have all this great content that would leave people satisfied for a long time. I get rotating in and out some of the more niche stuff, but there should be no reason that the complete Raw and Nitro library wouldn't be available.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

njsykora posted:

According to Meltzer they bought a load of scratch logo branded stuff just before launching the Network, and there's the logo on the new WWE Championship. They're not changing the company logo any time soon.

Doesn't mean anything, really.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm hoping someone can explain a couple of things to me.

1) What was the story line behind Tajiri joining Mikey Whipwreck and the Sinister Minister? I'm really digging that team.

2) How in the world did Steve Corino become a babyface in ECW. Was it the Tommy Dreamer route of getting the poo poo kicked out of you until they love you for it?

Thread question: Do we treat these shows like spoilers in the TV Thread? It's aired already so no spoiler tags needed?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Spikeguy posted:

1) What was the story line behind Tajiri joining Mikey Whipwreck and the Sinister Minister? I'm really digging that team.

2) How in the world did Steve Corino become a babyface in ECW. Was it the Tommy Dreamer route of getting the poo poo kicked out of you until they love you for it?

Thread question: Do we treat these shows like spoilers in the TV Thread? It's aired already so no spoiler tags needed?

A lot of these shows are over 20 years old. I think you are fine to spoil as much as possible.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
So help me god if anyone spoils the end of WCW Bash at the Beach 2000 I will flip out

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spikeguy posted:

Corino was being built up to be the next Tommy Dreamer, to the point Dreamer legitimately hated him for it. They were being as explicit as they could that he was the new Tommy, I think even having him wear his track pants at some point.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

triplexpac posted:

So help me god if anyone spoils the end of WCW Bash at the Beach 2000 I will flip out

No one remembers the ending since everyone who watches it drinks so they can forget.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Niwrad posted:

I think this would be a huge mistake on their part. You have all this great content that would leave people satisfied for a long time. I get rotating in and out some of the more niche stuff, but there should be no reason that the complete Raw and Nitro library wouldn't be available.

I disagree. I'm a casual fan and signed up just to check out Wrestlemania and the stuff they are showing. If they threw all of the Nitros and Raws from the Monday Night Wars up immediately, I'd likely binge on them over a month or two and end up cancelling my subscription when I get burnt out. If they release them at a slower pace, I'm much more likely to hang around.

From a business perspective, I completely understand what they are doing. We have to remember, they aren't going to sustain the network with the hardcore fans maintaining subscriptions. In order for it to be successful, they have to get (and keep) the casual fans.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Spikeguy posted:

As far as I can remember, there wasn't really a storyline behind it. Minister in kayfabe just managed lots of different guys, two of whom happened to be Tajiri and Whipwreck (I really loved that team too)

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

Acrolos posted:

I disagree. I'm a casual fan and signed up just to check out Wrestlemania and the stuff they are showing. If they threw all of the Nitros and Raws from the Monday Night Wars up immediately, I'd likely binge on them over a month or two and end up cancelling my subscription when I get burnt out. If they release them at a slower pace, I'm much more likely to hang around.

From a business perspective, I completely understand what they are doing. We have to remember, they aren't going to sustain the network with the hardcore fans maintaining subscriptions. In order for it to be successful, they have to get (and keep) the casual fans.

Yeah, this. We are the generation of TV watchers who devour entire seasons over a weekend.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I actually feel having all the PPVs available like that diminishes some of it too. Like where do you even start if you're not a total wrestling mark? They shouldve made the live stream be like the Raw and Nitros of the month playing all day then capping off the day with the months PPV at the end.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Abu Dave posted:

I actually feel having all the PPVs available like that diminishes some of it too. Like where do you even start if you're not a total wrestling mark? They shouldve made the live stream be like the Raw and Nitros of the month playing all day then capping off the day with the months PPV at the end.

How would you follow anything if you didn't have all day to sit and watch, though?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

triplexpac posted:

How would you follow anything if you didn't have all day to sit and watch, though?

I agree, but how is that any different from how it is now where you just go into a random PPV blind? I don't want that system to replace the current one, I just want it in addition to it.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

I just started New Blood Rising, and the intro reminds me of the intro of WWF No Mercy on the N64.

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

Man - Loving the ability to relive Shane McMahon's crazy bumps. I think he's the only rich kid to ever try that hard ... like ever. I like to imagine it was his way of seeking his father's approval, but that Vince always gave him the brush off backstage after each match.

^^^ Joking of course. I just think it's funny to imagine that was why he did it.

pvax fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 27, 2014

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

pvax posted:

Man - Loving the ability to relive Shane McMahon's crazy bumps. I think he's the only rich kid to ever try that hard ... like ever. I like to imagine it was his way of seeking his father's approval, but that Vince always gave him the brush off backstage after each match.

I have the theory that he knew Vince could afford to pay any medical bill Shane could rack up, so Shane was just fearless.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah the story that gets told all the time is that Shane was just an adrenaline junkie, which isn't exactly uncommon among rich kids.

RetroHelix
Oct 24, 2004

No home should be without one.
I love that they insert an old commercial into the breaks on Raw. Macho Man for Slim Jim or Triple H for Stridex really sets nostalgia to overdrive.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
Well the real nail in the coffin for ECW was WWF janking their TV deal. Remember, they switched to TNN around that time for Raw, so ECW lost their spot.

Thanks for the recommendation on Tues in Texas, that was a great segment. Maybe we could start a recommendation thread?

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Raw, Smackdown, R, S, R, S, R, S, PPV = ~14 hours after removal of commercials

Nitro, Thunder, N, T, N, T, N, T, PPV

Now, no one would watch this all in a row. But, I would love to be able to start back with the very first RAW! and be able to VOD from their until RR14. Would take probably the whole six months to do this and the same with WCW, starting with the first Nitro.

I do agree the live stream is lame and needs much more variety, but think it will change once the free week is over.

They should let you program your own "network" to watch as a playlist or something.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Abu Dave posted:

I like the idea of showing a new episode every day, leading to that months PPV once a month. It would be fun to just start from the beginning.

Nelbert Zwieback
Aug 1, 2007

Rip said the worms were
too good for you

RetroHelix posted:

I love that they insert an old commercial into the breaks on Raw. Macho Man for Slim Jim or Triple H for Stridex really sets nostalgia to overdrive.

That's been my favorite thing so far. CHIPS?!?!?!?!?!

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
The commercials and seeing what the people in the audiences are wearing, is nostalgia overload. So many mullets, mullets everywhere.

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

Speaking as someone who hasn't had cable/satellite for years now, I really really hope/wish that the WWE can find a way to negotiate RAW/Smackdown airings, even if they are next-day, on the network into whatever next TV deal they negotiate.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I assume they'll add the Raws and Nitros each week when the Monday Night Wars starts. That is, if they're doing a week by week breakdown during that show.

Also, the amount of gently caress finishes and overbooked finishes during the Attitude Era is absolutely astounding. I mean, I already knew it was. But when just scanning through a looking at stuff rapid fire like this it stands out even more.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet

Deadpool posted:

Also, the amount of gently caress finishes and overbooked finishes during the Attitude Era is absolutely astounding. I mean, I already knew it was. But when just scanning through a looking at stuff rapid fire like this it stands out even more.

Man, you're not kidding. I watched the 98 Survivor Series yesterday and man, does that ever reek of Russo. Way to make your world title tournament look legit by having it be a bunch of nothing matches and a swerve at the end in a deliberate attempt to recreate Montreal. As much as I loved the Attitude Era, it really wasn't all that great wrestling wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

triplexpac posted:

Has anyone else noticed crowd sweetening in old stuff? I swear WWE tinkered with the sound in this Brother Love/Andre/Warrior promo they showed yesterday. The entire time Love talked to Andre, the crowd was doing this droning kind of "boo", then when Warrior came out it changed to this non-stop Smackdown-ish cheer.

Like the background noise never stopped, it was just this constant noise. Is that just how things were in the 80s? Seemed very distracting to me.

Yes, that's how it used to be. Plenty of Superstars, Wrestling Challenges and SNMEs where you hear the crowd going wild but see everyone sitting still