Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

Crunchtime posted:

Just got my Stanley email about the vSphere course. I'm planning to enroll, can someone give me a brief idea of what the course entails, how it works, class times etc etc??

Important: If you don't do the "introduction" thing when the class starts you will get dropped. After you do the initial course work you can slack on the labs and stuff but be sure to check during the first day or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

psydude posted:

CCNA R&S is enough on its own; get the MCSE. Even network engineers have to do a good amount of systems administration, because chances are good you'll be in charge of the monitoring/logging servers and possibly the vSphere server, too. Getting some linux or BSD experience would be good, as well, since a lot of appliances run on a Linux/BSD backend.

From what I've gathered, voice is only good if you're planning on going for the CCNP: V. And I would eschew Security in favor of the CISSP instead.

This is basically what I've my thoughts are as well. I can only do so much entry level Cisco before it becomes time to learn more variety. The admin/MCTIP program at WGU seems like a sound choice for an overall network admin career.

I'm also aware the higher level cisco exams are for those in the business and not to be looked at until I have my first entry-level role.

Lavastine
Jul 16, 2007

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

A+ is a good one to get even in a call center and coming from it it can't help.

Depending where you want to go an A+ and something such as an OS cert e.g Windows Server or Desktop, Lunix, etc.

DropsySufferer posted:

A+ is good for learning. I went to community college first and thanks to getting the A+ I received credit at WGU. Besides that one cert is better than none. A+ helped get me on the path and I got a job or two thanks to it, nothing big yet. A+ will not get you a decent IT job (in my experience) so take note.

sudo rm -rf posted:

I'd skip A+, honestly. Do you know what you're interested in?

Thank you guys for the feedback. I'm not too sure what my end goals are as I don't know what the flow/day to day activities of working any particular position is like in IT. Is there some place that has a good breakdown of what positions/disciplines are like?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Lavastine posted:

Thank you guys for the feedback. I'm not too sure what my end goals are as I don't know what the flow/day to day activities of working any particular position is like in IT. Is there some place that has a good breakdown of what positions/disciplines are like?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3566701&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Check and ask away here!

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Losing my job end of June, I've been this weird hybrid of IT business analyst / SharePoint Admin / SAML Federation guy. I've had full local admin access on my Windows 2008 R2 boxes, vSphere access, talking to business owners about processes and how SharePoint can help them, plus being on projects where sometimes the project manager wasn't fully vested and I had to lend a hand. I don't feel like I can get a SharePoint admin job, a project management job nor a sysadmin job. A jack of all trades master of none if how I'm feeling right now.

Any cert that isn't hardcore SharePoint technical MSCE that can draw from some of these experiences and I could bang out in a few weeks of being unemployed? I have an old 2007 A+ tech cert, ITIL foundation 2013 cert and one of those free vmware data center certs.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
I'm planning to go after MCSA in Server administration but I've a few questions. I have a CS degree, CCNA and about 2 years experience but im still struggling to get interviews. Will having the cert help me over the experience I have? I'm wondering if im missing the short list because im missing it.

Also is it best to go for the 2012 variant or 2008 (since that's what gets used)?

Also what are the best resources/books. I used Sybex books for CCNA and a lab.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Moey posted:

Hmmm, did you do the quizzes?

Yeah I did all of the quizzes (100%).

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

ToG posted:

I'm planning to go after MCSA in Server administration but I've a few questions. I have a CS degree, CCNA and about 2 years experience but im still struggling to get interviews. Will having the cert help me over the experience I have? I'm wondering if im missing the short list because im missing it.

Also is it best to go for the 2012 variant or 2008 (since that's what gets used)?

What sort of work are you doing now, and what are you applying for? A 4 year CS degree, CCNA and actual work experience is a very solid set of credentials and should be able to at least get you to the interview stage. I'd be surprised if it's the lack of a cert holding you back with a few years of experience under your belt. Unless you're applying to postings that explicitly require an MCSA or something.

Have you had someone knowledgeable critique your resume? As a bunch of goons can attest, using the Resume 2 Interview guy's service has taken them from zero callbacks to dozens. Marketing yourself well can make a ridiculous difference. Same goes for setting up a professional and complete LinkedIn profile.

None of that is to say that you shouldn't go after a cert if you think it will help. Just that there may be some quicker and easier fixes you can make first while you start pursuing that.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
Just finished a 6 month contract as a junior network administrator so doing nothing. My experience before that was junior sys admin. I'm applying for mostly sys admin stuff as the networking stuff here expects 3-5years experience. I was considering MCSA as being unemployed atm I have the time to study something.

I really need to update my linkedin and sort it out its pretty much blank at the moment. MCSA/MCSE is always in the desirable. Many posts here seem to ask for ITIL and citrix experience which I have none of. I'm trying to avoid hopping from contract to contract and get in somewhere permanently where I can really contribute.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

d3rt posted:

Losing my job end of June, I've been this weird hybrid of IT business analyst / SharePoint Admin / SAML Federation guy. I've had full local admin access on my Windows 2008 R2 boxes, vSphere access, talking to business owners about processes and how SharePoint can help them, plus being on projects where sometimes the project manager wasn't fully vested and I had to lend a hand. I don't feel like I can get a SharePoint admin job, a project management job nor a sysadmin job. A jack of all trades master of none if how I'm feeling right now.

Any cert that isn't hardcore SharePoint technical MSCE that can draw from some of these experiences and I could bang out in a few weeks of being unemployed? I have an old 2007 A+ tech cert, ITIL foundation 2013 cert and one of those free vmware data center certs.

I think there are some Mircosoft Technical sales certs out there I just don't know where to look.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

ToG posted:

Any sysadmin role I've seen has usually put the cert as a plus, but depending on the market you're in, it could be that there's guys with more experience coming in. Plus, companies love to see progressive experience - a year or two helpdesk, then a year or two desktop support or something like that. They love to see how the previous jobs have done all the training they'd have done if this was 20 years ago.

I'd go for the 2k8 and then upgrade to 2012 - 2012 does a lot of very new stuff I'm not sure how widely deployed it is yet. 2k8 adds on so much of the base features for 2012, so it'd be less to learn all at once. Four exams (three for 2k8 and one to upgrade) to get two certs is pretty decent, IMO. Plus you can buy the four-pack, save some money, and get free Second Shot vouchers every now and then when MS offers a deal on packages.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Does anyone have book suggestions for someone looking to supplement a CCNA with a JNCIA-Junos? The "Junos as a Second Language" WBT that Juniper provides is excellent, but I've always been most comfortable with being able to pop open a book when I've got free time wherever I am.

geera
May 20, 2003
Passed the ICND2 200-101 exam yesterday. Had a frustrating question that went something like this:

quote:

Examine the configuration:

code:
interface FastEthernet0/2
  switchport port-security
  switchport port-security mac-address 1111.2222.3333
  switchport port-security maximum 2
  switchport port-security
Which of the following are true in this scenario? (Pick Three)
And then it gave some choices. That there are two lines that just say "switchport port-security" is not a typo, that's how it was displayed on the exam. I answered it assuming the default violation mode of shutdown, but how am I not supposed to wonder if they just left off the violation setting accidentally in the last line of the config?

The official practice tests from Cisco seem to have a lot of similar problems -- lots of innocent typos ("EIRP" instead of EIGRP) and other more serious problems (like this one, for which none of the answers are correct, but the first one is what the test expects you to choose). Just seems sloppy and is something people should watch out for in general if using the practice tests to study.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

geera posted:

Passed the ICND2 200-101 exam yesterday. Had a frustrating question that went something like this:

And then it gave some choices. That there are two lines that just say "switchport port-security" is not a typo, that's how it was displayed on the exam. I answered it assuming the default violation mode of shutdown, but how am I not supposed to wonder if they just left off the violation setting accidentally in the last line of the config?

The official practice tests from Cisco seem to have a lot of similar problems -- lots of innocent typos ("EIRP" instead of EIGRP) and other more serious problems (like this one, for which none of the answers are correct, but the first one is what the test expects you to choose). Just seems sloppy and is something people should watch out for in general if using the practice tests to study.

In that picture, the first answer actually is the correct answer.
The subnet that it's referring to is the third octet in the IP address of the host - you'd be changing the IP address of host 1 from 192.168.5.30 to 192.168.20.30 so that it's in the same network as the server.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

chestnut santabag posted:

The subnet that it's referring to is the third octet in the IP address of the host - you'd be changing the IP address of host 1 from 192.168.5.30 to 192.168.20.30 so that it's in the same network as the server.

Also I'd quibble that the result of a web server being totally unreachable because the client has no route to it would not be "404 not found". The request would just time out. Doesn't materially affect the answer but it's sloppy and dumb at best and potentially confusing at worst.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Docjowles posted:

Also I'd quibble that the result of a web server being totally unreachable because the client has no route to it would not be "404 not found". The request would just time out. Doesn't materially affect the answer but it's sloppy and dumb at best and potentially confusing at worst.

As if I wasn't paranoid about taking the ICND1 exam already, there's errors I have to be worried about too.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I just signed up for 70-642 with a second shot and haven't even looked at the material in years because 70-642 is a wasteland of human misery, however this one test plus 70-417 will get me my MCSA for 2012, rather than needing all 3 of the 2012 exams, so might as well.

Any suggestions on what to concentrate on?

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

geera posted:

(like this one, for which none of the answers are correct, but the first one is what the test expects you to choose).

I don't really get what the deal is with this one. B and D are obviously incorrect, and by looking at the remaining answers you can clearly (quite clearly) tell what they're asking.

There's no router between Host 1 and Web Server. Is the problem that they are on the wrong subnet (this is going to be a problem 100% of the time because there is no layer 3 device that could help Host 1 get off of his subnet), or that Host 1 is plugged into the wrong port on the switch (which, given the context of this diagram, is impossible)?

I'm fairly sure it says somewhere in the thing you click 'next' through at the start that you should assume a device is correctly configured if no configuration is given (or accessible) for it. It doesn't tell you anything about the switches so you should assume they are properly configured.

In this case specifically, the inconsistency is that Host 1 wouldn't even be able to talk to Web Server, so he wouldn't get a 404 page not found he would actually time out. The inconsistency doesn't provide for any possible scenario where answers B, C, or D could possibly be correct, so you should pick the "most correct" answer A.

I ran into a few (<5) questions on the ~120ish questions I answered across ICND1 and 2 that were 'odd'. All of them are like this, where the correct answer isn't "technically" correct, but it is still pretty easy to place yourself into the context of the exam (the objectives help a lot for this) and figure out what they are asking.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I just signed up for 70-642 with a second shot and haven't even looked at the material in years because 70-642 is a wasteland of human misery, however this one test plus 70-417 will get me my MCSA for 2012, rather than needing all 3 of the 2012 exams, so might as well.

Powershell. And hyper-v.

echo465
Jun 3, 2007
I like ice cream

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Staying away from sharp objects and firearms.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Is it just me, or is the Stanly ICM lab documentation all jacked up? I'm pounding away through it and later labs reference a datastore that I already deleted. It had me expand an existing datastore on that lun as well. I have been burning through this so I may have missed something, but I do not believe so.

madsushi posted:

Yeah I did all of the quizzes (100%).

Also where the hell are these quizzes? The only two "quizzes" I found were the class overview and the VMware registration.

I just want my rubber stamp!

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
My apprenticeship provider wants me to do the A+ earlier than they originally scheduled. :toot: I'm glad, it means that I can move onto their Network+ quicker, my knowledge of networking is currently pretty basic. Does mean that I have to hold off on the MCSA 70-410 for now though, but I can't do that for long because of the second shot expiry date. :ohdear: Debating throwing caution to the wind and just scheduling it for one week after the 802.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Moey posted:

Also where the hell are these quizzes? The only two "quizzes" I found were the class overview and the VMware registration.

Theres only been 2 quizzes as far as I can tell, right at the beginning. I also ignored the class for almost a month and now I'm just banging out labs. Are these discrepancies further on than Lab 13? That's what I've caught up to over the last couple nights.

Seems disgustingly easy and straightforward so far so obviously no substitute for actual studying.

geera
May 20, 2003

chestnut santabag posted:

Reiz posted:

I don't really get what the deal is with this one. B and D are obviously incorrect, and by looking at the remaining answers you can clearly (quite clearly) tell what they're asking.
The first answer would be the correct answer if the error message wasn't "404 file not found" -- that's an error code returned by the web server when the file (like index.html) is missing. If the server is returning an error code, then it's not unreachable. I get what you're saying, the first answer is the correct choice to fix the subnet mismatch, but the error code the question provides actually means the server was reachable (even though it shouldn't be in this configuration).

It's a good example of how they just get sloppy on some of these questions, which can be confusing for people using these resources. Overall I still think the practice tests are useful, just not 100% reliable.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I just signed up for the VMware vSphere install/config/etc. self-paced class from VMware and I'm very happy with it so far. Looks like I've got 90 days to become a VCP! The only issue I have is their lab connection is slowwwww to the point where I'm just doing most of the lab stuff in a VMware Workstation environment.

But hey, supposed the coupon I used for training means they'll send me an iPad Mini! Bonus! I guess that offsets the $3000 a little :negative:

AND yesterday I got my email notice about the Stanly CC course. Great timing there.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

QPZIL posted:

I just signed up for the VMware vSphere install/config/etc. self-paced class from VMware and I'm very happy with it so far. Looks like I've got 90 days to become a VCP! The only issue I have is their lab connection is slowwwww to the point where I'm just doing most of the lab stuff in a VMware Workstation environment.

But hey, supposed the coupon I used for training means they'll send me an iPad Mini! Bonus! I guess that offsets the $3000 a little :negative:

AND yesterday I got my email notice about the Stanly CC course. Great timing there.

I guess they won't let you cancel?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

MJP posted:

I guess they won't let you cancel?

Well, when I thought about it, Stanly doesn't allow companies to pay for employees to take the class, which is what's going on with me and the VMware class. So, I'm just going to stick with the VMware class.

I'm not worried about it, it'll end with the same certification!

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

Ozu posted:

Theres only been 2 quizzes as far as I can tell, right at the beginning. I also ignored the class for almost a month and now I'm just banging out labs. Are these discrepancies further on than Lab 13? That's what I've caught up to over the last couple nights.

Seems disgustingly easy and straightforward so far so obviously no substitute for actual studying.

I remember having about 6 quizzes. If you don't see them you might want to send a Jmail (or whatever it's call) to the instructor.

I also remember I couldn't do my final two labs. I asked me to configure things that didn't exist or weren't mentioned in earlier labs. I e-mailed the instructor and he said no problem, I can ignore them and still pass.

When in doubt e-mail the instructor. Mine was really good at getting back to me.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Moey posted:

Is it just me, or is the Stanly ICM lab documentation all jacked up? I'm pounding away through it and later labs reference a datastore that I already deleted. It had me expand an existing datastore on that lun as well. I have been burning through this so I may have missed something, but I do not believe so.

Quizzes took a couple of weeks to show up (3-4 weeks iirc).

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

geera posted:

Pulling memories from me taking my CCNA test 2 1/2 years ago, but I do remember a bunch of typos on that test. There was a button at the bottom of the test to "report" or flag the question for review. I did use that button a good half a dozen times, some were for typos. If I am paying 250-300 for a test that will strengthen my career, Cisco can spend a few minutes making sure each question is void of typographical/continuity errors.

Content: How much of IP SLA/PBR do I really need to know for the CCNP route? I'm going through that chapter now, but am really anxious to start the 4-5 chapters on BGP, which are next. I attempted to get the GNS3 lab to route BGP between 2 routers via BGP, but redistributing statis routes doesn't seem to be working, so I wanna be able to troubleshoot that as soon as possible.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
Passed TSHOOT with a perfect score and am now officially a CCNP. It was probably the easiest certification exam I've ever taken. Next up: CISSP.

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

psydude posted:

Passed TSHOOT with a perfect score and am now officially a CCNP.

Welcome to the club, that's about the time I knew most about routing. Been slowly loosing it for years, LOL.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Jesus H freakin christ do I hate 70-642.

I was woefully unprepared - my brain is the kind where I'll at least remember a concept. If there's a question about BranchCache, okay maybe I won't remember how to set it up, or how to troubleshoot it, but I'll at least know what BranchCache is and hope to fumble through it on logic and charm. But there were multiple topics on the exam where I was like, don't know what that is, don't know what that is, I've never seen that word before. This tells me that the Microsoft Press book alone is just a horrible way to prep for the exam, which is of course a frustrating thing to find out after sitting it.

Free second shot exam, I'm going to take it on March 14th and either pass it or throw a fit the likes of which Prometric has rarely seen.

e: I don't know, the test is a little older but it's simpler for me to get this then upgrade to 2012 via one test than start over. Does anyone have any recommended resources for 70-642 which are up to date? It seems like they revised the test not too long ago, maybe one final revision before it gets retired this summer.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 28, 2014

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Jesus H freakin christ do I hate 70-642.

I was woefully unprepared - my brain is the kind where I'll at least remember a concept. If there's a question about BranchCache, okay maybe I won't remember how to set it up, or how to troubleshoot it, but I'll at least know what BranchCache is and hope to fumble through it on logic and charm. But there were multiple topics on the exam where I was like, don't know what that is, don't know what that is, I've never seen that word before. This tells me that the Microsoft Press book alone is just a horrible way to prep for the exam, which is of course a frustrating thing to find out after sitting it.

Free second shot exam, I'm going to take it on March 14th and either pass it or throw a fit the likes of which Prometric has rarely seen.

e: I don't know, the test is a little older but it's simpler for me to get this then upgrade to 2012 via one test than start over. Does anyone have any recommended resources for 70-642 which are up to date? It seems like they revised the test not too long ago, maybe one final revision before it gets retired this summer.

As far as third party publishers, I've always found the Exam Cram series of books better at distilling the information into flashcard sized chunks that are easier to retain. That being said, I've still been unable to pass the 70-640/642/646, so take my advice with a pound of salt.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

psydude posted:

Passed TSHOOT with a perfect score and am now officially a CCNP. It was probably the easiest certification exam I've ever taken. Next up: CISSP.

Congratulations! I hope to join your ranks this Spring yet.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

penga86 posted:

As far as third party publishers, I've always found the Exam Cram series of books better at distilling the information into flashcard sized chunks that are easier to retain. That being said, I've still been unable to pass the 70-640/642/646, so take my advice with a pound of salt.
Yeah, problem is that the Exam Cram 70-642 book is like 5.5 years old at this point. I'm not finding any books that are as up to date as the test is.

And yes, Psydude is the most amazing person!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

psydude posted:

Congrats dude!

Zaii
Nov 6, 2005

Check it out, I downloaded a little dance!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'm going to take it on March 14th and either pass it or throw a fit the likes of which Prometric has rarely seen.

Sup March 14th buddy. I've booked my 70-410 for the same date. I've quite literally bitten off more than I can chew, so I'm amping up for failure. Studying, Moving House, and looking after my heavily pregnant wife... Silly boy. :|

Thrawn
Sep 10, 2004

trunkwontopen posted:

Content: How much of IP SLA/PBR do I really need to know for the CCNP route? I'm going through that chapter now, but am really anxious to start the 4-5 chapters on BGP, which are next. I attempted to get the GNS3 lab to route BGP between 2 routers via BGP, but redistributing statis routes doesn't seem to be working, so I wanna be able to troubleshoot that as soon as possible.

IP SLA is actually covered on the SWITCH exam (as much sense as that makes), so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Pay attention to PBR though, route maps/etc are a fairly major topic for ROUTE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
I booked my VCP5 exam for May 5th. Plenty of time for studying, but I'm still nervous about screwing up. Time to hit the books hard and lab some more.