Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ffej posted:

Thank you for this option. I'm starting to really like this option over the Schiit Modi/Magni stack the more I think about it. I can't switch between headphone and speaker listening with the Modi\Magni stack automatically. I would have to unplug the RCA cables from the Magni and plug them into my Audioengine A5+ speakers and vice-versa to make the switch. I'm not sure if using an RCA splitter (like this or this) to output from the Modi to input into the Magni and the A5+s is a good idea or not. With the splitter audio would be played out of the headphones and the speakers at the same time. The headphone volume would be controlled by the Magni and the speaker volume would be controlled by the knob on the A5+s...or I could use the volume control on the PC to control both. Is that such a big deal?

The Fiio E17 option gives me a portable dac and headphone amp and the E09k gives me outputs for my headphones and my speakers for only $40 more that the M&M stack.

I could go Schiit Asgard 2\Modi stack as the Asgard amp has rca outs but it is $200 more than the M&M stack and $160 more than the Fiio.

Analysis to paralysis...

I have the E09K and E17 stack, and I use it in the exact same way. The only real downside is that there's no way to turn off the outputs on the E09K, so you have to do it at the amplifier. Other than that, it works great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

eddiewalker posted:

^ The DT-880s come in several impedances. I discussed it in the last few pages.

The 250ohm models are all on a FIRESALE, and they have been for a while.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Can anybody recommend headphones that would be an upgrade for me over my current pair of AD900x? I absolutely love my 900x's, but I am looking for something that adds more bass while maintaining the clarity and soundstaging of the 900x's. No real budget but I don't want to go silly. My source is Magni/Modi stack. My current pairs are my AD900x and a pair of M50's that I picked up for portable use (these have actually turned me into a bit of a bass head). I was completely satisfied with my 900x's before I got my M50's, but now I crave more bass (without the compressed/smeared soundstage of the m50's). No isolation requirements, these will be for home use only.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Just picked up a pair of B&W P7s.

Really enjoying them so far, I bought these after using the B&O H6s for about 3 months. So far they're warmer, and the lows have a good deal more kick to them. I do miss the comfort of the H6s, but I'm loving the hell out of the stronger presence of the P7s.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

BurritoJustice posted:

Can anybody recommend headphones that would be an upgrade for me over my current pair of AD900x? I absolutely love my 900x's, but I am looking for something that adds more bass while maintaining the clarity and soundstaging of the 900x's. No real budget but I don't want to go silly. My source is Magni/Modi stack. My current pairs are my AD900x and a pair of M50's that I picked up for portable use (these have actually turned me into a bit of a bass head). I was completely satisfied with my 900x's before I got my M50's, but now I crave more bass (without the compressed/smeared soundstage of the m50's). No isolation requirements, these will be for home use only.

Ad2000 used. That's the only thing that's going to satisfy you if you love your Ad900x.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Truthfully now that I've gotten accustomed to my AD2000X's I really really enjoy them and would make the recommendation as an upgrade to 900x's if you cannot find 2000's used. I got mine used for $400 shipped which I think is a great deal for the quality.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
I'm looking to get some new IEMs. My previous IEMs were Shure SCL2s, then several pairs of UE 6/600vi. I really never liked the Shures, they sounded good, but I hate the over-the-ear cord crap, it's really uncomfortable to me. The UEs were pretty good too, however I've broke like 5 pairs and had them replaced by Logitech.

I want something that is comfortable, has an iOS remote, has fairly good bass, and relatively good clarity. These will mostly just be used on the bus and occasionally at the office to listen to Spotify and Google Music. Any suggestions? I see UE 500vi is around $35 on Amazon, and seems to fit the bill. Any better suggestions? I'm cool with spending up to $100, but would prefer less.

Thanks!

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Midorka posted:

Ad2000 used. That's the only thing that's going to satisfy you if you love your Ad900x.

So do you recommend the AD2000 over the refreshed AD2000x? Also as an Australian I have no idea where I would go about buying either used.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Armchair Calvinist posted:

Truthfully now that I've gotten accustomed to my AD2000X's I really really enjoy them and would make the recommendation as an upgrade to 900x's if you cannot find 2000's used. I got mine used for $400 shipped which I think is a great deal for the quality.

I really wish I had the money to afford an Ad2000 again and an Ad2000x to compare them. ASR, who reviewed the Ad2000 famously in one of the best reviews of all time (seriously if that doesn't make you want Ad2000 then you're crazy!), said that he preferred the Ad2000 because they were a bit more aggressive than the new Ad2000x.

Either way though, I wager the Ad2000x is an excellent headphone. I will be buying and Ad2000 again before a Ad2000x though =P

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

BurritoJustice posted:

So do you recommend the AD2000 over the refreshed AD2000x? Also as an Australian I have no idea where I would go about buying either used.

I haven't heard the Ad2000x, though I wish I had taken up the opportunity I had. I should message ASR back...

I've heard the two are similar but the Ad2000 is more aggressive than the Ad2000x, slightly anyway. I thought the Ad2000 were more than perfectly musical, brilliant headphones. I imagine the Ad2000x are drat good though.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Midorka posted:

I haven't heard the Ad2000x, though I wish I had taken up the opportunity I had. I should message ASR back...

I've heard the two are similar but the Ad2000 is more aggressive than the Ad2000x, slightly anyway. I thought the Ad2000 were more than perfectly musical, brilliant headphones. I imagine the Ad2000x are drat good though.

Would the DT990's (250 ohm) be a more bassy sidegrade to the 900x's? Like I said in my original post, I want to get something with more bass. I'd love to pick up some 2kx's, but it is hard to pull the 650-700AUD it would take to get some.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

BurritoJustice posted:

Would the DT990's (250 ohm) be a more bassy sidegrade to the 900x's? Like I said in my original post, I want to get something with more bass. I'd love to pick up some 2kx's, but it is hard to pull the 650-700AUD it would take to get some.

Having the DT990s I wish they had more bass. You won't be satisfied with them.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

BurritoJustice posted:

I've never heard the DT990, sorry.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Not strictly quality-audio-related, but does anyone have any recommendations for wireless voice headsets? Earpieces are also ok.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Weird question, but my headphones are faulty and when I emailed to ask for a warranty repair, they said to sever the headphone cord, take a picture, and then they'd send me a new pair.

Is this normal? Apparently it's due to the costs of international shipping (I'm in the UK, the company is in the USA). I'm assuming that a photo of the cut headphones means they know I'm not just trying to get an extra pair.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I'd never heard of that, odd. But uh I guess do it if your headphones are truly faulty.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lady Gaza posted:

Weird question, but my headphones are faulty and when I emailed to ask for a warranty repair, they said to sever the headphone cord, take a picture, and then they'd send me a new pair.

Is this normal? Apparently it's due to the costs of international shipping (I'm in the UK, the company is in the USA). I'm assuming that a photo of the cut headphones means they know I'm not just trying to get an extra pair.

That's a pretty standard thing that manufacturers tell retailers to do, so I guess them asking you to do it isn't THAT strange.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

KillHour posted:

That's a pretty standard thing that manufacturers tell retailers to do, so I guess them asking you to do it isn't THAT strange.

OK, thanks. I'd never heard of it before so just wanted to see if it was normal. I've got that annoying problem of sound only coming out of one earbud unless I wiggle the part near the jack. Are there any in-ear phones that don't suffer from this problem? I used to buy mid-range ones but they all break, so I just get cheaper ones now and return them as they tend to at least break within warranty.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Lady Gaza posted:

OK, thanks. I'd never heard of it before so just wanted to see if it was normal. I've got that annoying problem of sound only coming out of one earbud unless I wiggle the part near the jack. Are there any in-ear phones that don't suffer from this problem? I used to buy mid-range ones but they all break, so I just get cheaper ones now and return them as they tend to at least break within warranty.

Yeah, take care of the things you buy.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
Toms Hardware does a fair job of objectively comparing 4 DACs from 2 euro to 2000. Conclusion: they all sound the same. Secondary conclusion: the 2k DAC is a good buy :psyduck:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/high-end-pc-audio,3733.html

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

bpower posted:

Toms Hardware does a fair job of objectively comparing 4 DACs from 2 euro to 2000. Conclusion: they all sound the same. Secondary conclusion: the 2k DAC is a good buy :psyduck:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/high-end-pc-audio,3733.html

The amount of input/output options, aesthetics, and quality are what you're paying for when buying a more expensive DAC, not a sound quality increase. That is despite what others would have you believe.

As someone who owns a Schiit Modi and a $1,200 reference DAC I likely couldn't tell them apart if I tried. I still think that the $1,200 DAC is worth buying though for the quality and amount of inputs/outputs alone.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Midorka posted:

Yeah, take care of the things you buy.

:rolleyes: I don't see how plugging my headphones into my phone once a day is being careless.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Lady Gaza posted:

The most durable I've had was the Klipsch S4. Had one pair that lasted me about 3.5 years until I left them on the other side of the country.

Unfortunately they're now selling the Klipsch S4 II, which I don't like as much, but seem to be reasonably durable as well.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Lady Gaza posted:

:rolleyes: I don't see how plugging my headphones into my phone once a day is being careless.

It's not normal at all to have IEMs constantly break. You're damaging them in some way.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
This is probably a long shot but has anyone tried the Noontec Hammos? Noontec is a Chinese mfg that's aping the Beats aesthetic, but Tyll Hertsens over at Innerfidelity put their on-ear Zoro model onto his Wall of Fame. On-ear is uncomfortable to me though, and the Hammos are A) newer than the Zoros and B) over-ear.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_i=507846

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

So, I'm thinking of buying new headphones. I've been using Sennheiser HD558 and I was thinking of upgrading to Beyerdynamic DT990 since they're only slightly more expensive. Except they have an impedance of 250 Ohms.

I have an Asrock Z87M Pro 4 motherboard and I'm not sure they'll work with it without a dedicated soundboard (Which I wasn't planning on buying yet). I found this other model which supports headphones of up to 600 ohms, but I'm guessing mine doesn't even come close.

Is there somewhere I can look up this stuff? Or does anyone have any suggestions for similar headphones? I know the closed version of the DT990 will work for sure, but I'd rather have open ones (and they're actually cheaper).

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Hey guys. I'm going to be in the market for a new pair soon, and since I have a pretty specific purpose for them I was wondering if you could help broaden my horizons.

Budget - <$60, preferably, but I realize I'm asking a lot so please do recommend anyway if you know something more expensive.
Source - Bluetooth or wireless only, preferably Bluetooth so I can use it with my phone too, but my old pair is still working so I could just use it for my computer.
Isolation Requirements - None.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear, preferably not IEM because I find them extremely uncomfortable. Unless you know something that isn't back-heavy. Built-in microphone is very strongly requested.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Bass heavy or balanced is fine, I listen to a lot of instrumental music and vidja gaems mostly.
Past Headphones -
iKross Stereo Headphones. I was impressed with these because they fit basically all of my requirements while still being pretty affordable (only $40). The ear pads were comfortable and it wasn't a terrible fit, although it did have a habit of slipping off. The plastic over-arch started to crack and fall off maybe half a year after I bought them, but it was only superficial damage and it stopped when I started taking better care of them. Second thing to go was the right can's connection to the arch. Basically, it fell off and hung by the wires until I super-glued it back on. The third thing is that the button seems to have gotten stuck or stopped pressing right, because it's difficult to press it and doesn't give the visceral click anymore (though it still works). Basically I put them through Hell and they never actually stopped working, so yeah, I'm impressed. Built-in mic is crisp and clear, it was pretty difficult to connect it at first but I've had no problems since then, and the battery life is very good (especially if you remember to turn them off when you're not using them). Honestly, I'm tempted to just buy another pair, but I'm interested to see if there's anything better. If I could find these, I don't think I'm asking too much!
Sony MDR-ZX100. Recommended by an audiophile friend, they're a fantastic value for $15. They didn't fit great, but it was worth the money. I moved on from them because I wanted something wireless and with a mic.
Preferred Music - Like I said, mostly games and instrumental music.

So what do you think? Can you folks help me? Right now I'm looking at MEElectronics, AEC, or (my birthday is coming up soon) Outdoor Tech for potential future purchases.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I recently bought a pair of Vsonic VSD1S in ears and they are verrrrrrry nice for the cash, come with a buttload of accessories too. Lost one of the rubber dealies today but whatever, I've got like 6 other pairs at home.

£28 delivered via ebay which puts them at the same pricepoint as the 'go to' CX300s but they're far superior in ever respect.

Scrubed
Oct 3, 2002

I am a Romosexual.
After blowing two pairs of g07's (and not being able to figure out, walk through the return process) and blowing 2 sets of beats (that apple won't replace finally) it looks like I'm going to go with shureSE535's. It makes me a little queasy to drop this much on headphone's but I'm already at the point that I have spent this much on replacements. It will be oh so nice to have replacement cables since apparently I'm a 3.5mm solder point killer.

At least I will be back on something that requires the use of my DAC. I will go through this exercise anyways to see if someone else has input:

Budget: Up to $500 US

Source: iPhone 4S, headphone jack on pc, DAC

Isolation Requirements: Annoying people! :)

Preferred Type of Headphone: IEM. I would rather not look super goony at work.

Preferred Tonal Balance: I don't have a preference.

Past Headphones: g07's, beats

Preferred Music: Techno, rock, jazz, some rap

Additonal requirement: CABLE MUST BE REPLACEABLE

Scrubed fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 5, 2014

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

88h88 posted:

I recently bought a pair of Vsonic VSD1S in ears and they are verrrrrrry nice for the cash, come with a buttload of accessories too. Lost one of the rubber dealies today but whatever, I've got like 6 other pairs at home.

£28 delivered via ebay which puts them at the same pricepoint as the 'go to' CX300s but they're far superior in ever respect.

The CX300s haven't been "go to" headphones for at least 5 years, probably longer.

Scrubed posted:

After blowing two pairs of g07's (and not being able to figure out, walk through the return process) and blowing 2 sets of beats (that apple won't replace finally) it looks like I'm going to go with shureSE535's. It makes me a little queasy to drop this much on headphone's but I'm already at the point that I have spent this much on replacements. It will be oh so nice to have replacement cables since apparently I'm a 3.5mm solder point killer.

At least I will be back on something that requires the use of my DAC. I will go through this exercise anyways to see if someone else has input:

Budget: Up to $500 US

Source: iPhone 4S, headphone jack on pc, DAC

Isolation Requirements: Annoying people! :)

Preferred Type of Headphone: IEM. I would rather not look super goony at work.

Preferred Tonal Balance: I don't have a preference.

Past Headphones: g07's, beats

Preferred Music: Techno, rock, jazz, some rap

Additonal requirement: CABLE MUST BE REPLACEABLE

It might help to know where on the cord your headphones are breaking, or if it's even consistent. Also, keep them in a case when you're not using them.

Noobles
Aug 17, 2004

I'm not sure if any of you guys here have experience with the exact stuff I'm curious about, but here goes.

I currently have a pair of Sennheiser HD600's running through a Hifiman EF2A amp/dac, and I'm looking to upgrade. I've heard a lot of good about the Schiit Modi as a DAC and I'm fairly set on it unless you guys have a better recommendation. However, I'm kinda torn on the amp portion. The Schiit Valhalla looks to be a good match for the HD 600's, but I've also heard that the Little Dot MkIII is pretty good (And cheaper than that Valhalla). If any of you guys have experience with any of these and can give suggestions, that would be awesome. I'm not going to be pulling the trigger on any of this for a little while, I'm still researching and comparing different options at the moment, those are just the two amps that have stood out the most to me so far.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I have a LD MkIII. It's pretty good. How good? I don't know; this is the only tube amp I've heard so it may, in fact, be the opposite of pretty good. It's better than my previous amp, but that was a solid state so is that a fair comparison? Maybe it's not better per se, only better suited to my tastes? Interesting if true.
Also, Tom's Hardware has declared every DAC is the same, so maybe don't waste your money on a premium model? Unless you want to, of course; this is a hobby after all. Is money ever really wasted if you enjoy what you've purchased? Hmmm...

For comparisons between different amps and whatnot, you should probably check Head-Fi.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Modern DACs are able to perfectly reproduce an analog output all the way up to the digital signal's Nyquist frequency (Generally speaking, the entire range of human hearing). A modern amplifier will have a noise floor several orders of magnitude below the thresholds of human hearing. Basically, what I'm saying is don't worry about it. If you notice a difference, it's either confirmation bias or your existing equipment is broken.

The only things you'll gain from upgrading (not necessarily in order):

- Better build quality
- Louder
- More features

PretentiousFood
Mar 13, 2009

On the other hand, high end DACs sometimes use more interesting circuitry that will have an audible impact, for better or for worse. In the case of DACs, the choice of output filter can absolutely impact fidelity and be a source of measurable and audible distortion. 16-bit DACs that actually have more than 10 or so bits of dynamic range are surprisingly scarce. And while it's true that it's fairly trivial to design an amplifier with a low noise floor in 2014, that isn't to say that they'll always be vanishingly low. Anyone who's tried sensitive IEMs straight out of your average phone has experienced this. Add output impedance, intermodulation distortion, and phase response metrics, and it becomes pretty easy to justify the differences people are hearing between systems.

I had REALLY strong feelings about the Tom's Hardware article but it's hard to really get into it without getting all :words:. My main point is that it's true that most DACs sound very similar, but the fact that the HD800s are particularly picky about amps (again, due to measurable things like output impedance affecting bass response) and that all of these DACs essentially have the same I/V and output stages will mask differences between the actual DAC implementations, which are still quite similar. The choice of DACs is relevant given the reader base, but differences would be a lot more obvious between DACs that use different topologies, such as an the Metrum non-oversamplign DAC vs a Schiit DAC vs some R-2R DAC.

I haven't heard the Valhalla or LD, but both designs look pretty great. Keep in mind it's probably easier to get a Valhalla repaired than an LD. If you're inclined to DIY, I'd recommend looking into the Torpedo headphone amplifier. It's a classic class-A, zero negative feedback amp done really, really well. I'm using a variation of that design in my rig and enjoyed it a lot when I tried with Senns and orthos. If you plan on getting low impedance cans in the future, you'll probably want to switch to solid state or hybrid for the lower output impedance. It's unfortunate, but at that price you're mostly looking at blinged out op amp designs like the O2 and Fiio, or more Schiit stuff.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

grack posted:

The CX300s haven't been "go to" headphones for at least 5 years, probably longer.

They were for me simply because I knew what they sounded like and I could get a pair from anywhere if I killed them.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

If you need a set of go to cheap headphones, the Philips SHE3590 are as readily available, sound much better and are about a third of the price.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
That Tom Hardware article is excellent and really has me just happy with the Xonar STX altogether. The only real audio purchase I am looking to make now would be a super portable DAC that can drive the HD 800s from any PC. I have my own office at work and an hour or two of downtime daily that I'd love to use for music time. However, I don't want to have a DAC sitting on my desk. I wouldn't really need any features beyond a quarter inch output and a USB input. Obviously I am looking for great audio quality but that seems easily obtained for cheap these days!

Scrubed
Oct 3, 2002

I am a Romosexual.

grack posted:

It might help to know where on the cord your headphones are breaking, or if it's even consistent. Also, keep them in a case when you're not using them.

Consistently right as the cable enters the 3.5mm jack. I will start to lose sound in one ear or both and wiggling the cable at this point restores the sound temporarily. All four pairs have broken in the same place. I imagine it's a result of the wear and tear of my phone being in my pocket as I'm wearing my headphones.

Scrubed fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 6, 2014

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
I bought a ~$30 Asus Xonar DG soundcard with a headphone amp. Holy hell what a difference! I use Superlux HD 681 EVO's, really good for their price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Scrubed posted:

Consistently right as the cable enters the 3.5mm jack. I will start to lose sound in one ear or both and wiggling the cable at this point restores the sound temporarily. All four pairs have broken in the same place. I imagine it's a result of the wear and tear of my phone being in my pocket as I'm wearing my headphones.

If that's the case a simpler solution might be a short headphone extension cable. You can get them for like $1.50/piece on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=6+inch+headphone+cable&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Should prevent wear and tear on the jack. Even if you do upgrade to something with removable cables I'd suggest using one anyways if your cables keep breaking at the jack.