Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Look, itsa all very smple right? You all, you all senators, you always talking. Well, I say talking never done did saoolve nothing! No, it was action, it was when we, as romans, did huge action against the, the lesser people, that great things happened. Crossing the river with the dice, the, the guy witht elephants, we beat him, the moving of the capital, the victory, with the, the thing, you know. Action!

And the Komnenians, they are like, the Caesars reborn, only even better! They are the greatest, guys, gals, whatever. And seeing as they are in charge, we, well, little indulgesneses like drink (haha, whats one more sip?) or women or wahtever, what are they? Of course we deserve that! It doesn't matter you know.

So really, it's all very simple, just trust in the Empire and it trusts into you. You see who you can't trust, right away. Like the goddamn douxes, always plotting like some drat, plot-people. They won't share a drink, no! In case it poisons. So you find what you can trust in a world that is lacking in such things, and you stick to them. Stick, like, glue or another thing that sticks.

That is hte Komenninas. That and drinking a lot of alchohol, becuase hell, from the bottom of the glass it almost makes sense.

In vino veritas, they say. And that's how we see the truth.

(The senator then gently waddles off, obviously well in his cups)

Steppes and Republics

I leave the senate for two hours and now half the senators are drunk, and i'm pretty sure the one in the corner there is dead, what happened when I was gone? Are the Seljulks invading? Are did the Empress get assassinated? Are the Bulgarians rebelling again? It's the Croatians isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Blackunknown posted:

Steppes and Republics

I leave the senate for two hours and now half the senators are drunk, and i'm pretty sure the one in the corner there is dead, what happened when I was gone? Are the Seljulks invading? Are did the Empress get assassinated? Are the Bulgarians rebelling again? It's the Croatians isn't it?

(What follows is a rough translation of a drunken rant. It has been translated into readable text for your sanity.)
I'm not quite dead yet! What happened is that the Komnenians make very nice drinks. Who's for going to go kill some Douxes!
(The Senator then collapsed unconscious into a pile of maps of Europe.)

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

...you know, I'm starting to warm up to the idea of the Byzantines being basically just the Romans. We're certainly seeming to get into the swing of things as far as the decadence goes if we're having "let's all get shitfaced in the senate" parties. I'll fight the idea all the way, but I'm starting to warm up to the idea that I might be wrong.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

Steppes and Republics

..... Well this isn't as bad as that time that crazy Vlach noble impaled all those people and drank their blood. And on the bright side we're not under attack by Croatian-Bulgarian Seljuk assassins...... I think.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

It's going to be another one of those days isn't it?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

How was it Isiah put it? Ah yes. 'Heroes of the wine bottle! Brave and fearless when it comes to mixing drinks!' Needless to say the rest of the chapter... it did not go well for them. I will refrain except at communion, so consider me the designated sober and pious one.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

TheMcD posted:

...you know, I'm starting to warm up to the idea of the Byzantines being basically just the Romans. We're certainly seeming to get into the swing of things as far as the decadence goes if we're having "let's all get shitfaced in the senate" parties. I'll fight the idea all the way, but I'm starting to warm up to the idea that I might be wrong.

The only way I can stand to look at the senate is with a strong drink in me. When I remember who the ruling factions are, I have to have a few more.

When I remember these are the finest citizens of the Empire, the brightest and best, the rulers, the hope of the future, well. WELL. That is the time you really have to reach for the bottle and not stop until you see the bottom.

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?

...I can only hope that the inevitable influx of dogs or other household animals in official-looking clothing tomorrow morning will be well-behaved, and receptive to belly rubs as political leverage.

(OOC: Speaking of which, could anyone who knows something about the Byzantine Empire help me find a decent sense of what a senator or official might wear? I'd like to maybe do a drawing of Acting Senator Scruffles.)

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

D3m3 posted:

...I can only hope that the inevitable influx of dogs or other household animals in official-looking clothing tomorrow morning will be well-behaved, and receptive to belly rubs as political leverage.

(OOC: Speaking of which, could anyone who knows something about the Byzantine Empire help me find a decent sense of what a senator or official might wear? I'd like to maybe do a drawing of Acting Senator Scruffles.)

Steppes and Republics

Perhaps it is not a good idea to call our fellow senators dog, I mean they could be Seljuks, or Bulgarians, or both.

[OOC here is a picture of a Byzantine Senate for your reference.)

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Ratoslov posted:

And now we come to the sad corner where traitors, heretics, and heathens sit. The Guiding Light wants us to convert to Islam. (God save us.)None of them hold very much power or influence in the Senate, and God willing, never will. I honestly do not know how they keep getting in here.

Traitors? We are but the truest patriots in all of the senate! We simply want to bring this empire to greatness, but how can greatness be achieved when we do not follow the words of Allah? We simply want to bring the Truth of the Prophet (peace be upon him) to this great nation.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Blackunknown posted:

[OOC here is a picture of a Byzantine Senate for your reference.)

Well, if you consider Cicero to be a Byzantine...

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Traitors? We are but the truest patriots in all of the senate! We simply want to bring this empire to greatness, but how can greatness be achieved when we do not follow the words of Allah? We simply want to bring the Truth of the Prophet (peace be upon him) to this great nation.

Steppes and Republics

In all fairness they are actually some of the few who are never here drunk.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

TheMcD posted:

Well, if you consider Cicero to be a Byzantine...

Sorry if its not actually a Byzantine senate, it just appeared in a Google image search for "Byzantine Senate". Also said search contains images from this LP so.... hurah?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Blackunknown posted:

Sorry if its not actually a Byzantine senate, it just appeared in a Google image search for "Byzantine Senate". Also said search contains images from this LP so.... hurah?

I don't think there's any real pictures of a Byzantine senate - seems best we got is a mural or two. The picture you posted was a pretty famous fresco called Cicero Denounces Catilina from the 19th century - I remember seeing it in one of my old Latin school books.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I did find an article about Byzantine dress but it only makes small mention of the Senate.

quote:

The chlamys, a semicircular cloak fastened to the right shoulder continued throughout the period. The length fell sometimes only to the hips or as far as the ankles, much longer than the version commonly worn in Ancient Greece; the longer version is also called a paludamentum. As well as his courtiers, Emperor Justinian wears one, with a huge brooch, in the Ravenna mosaics. On each straight edge men of the senatorial class had a tablion, a lozenge shaped coloured panel across the chest or midriff (at the front), which was also used to show the further rank of the wearer by the colour or type of embroidery and jewels used (compare those of Justinian and his courtiers).

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?
No, that's pretty much perfect. It's just a quick sketch, but I'm way too entertained by the notion to not draw doggies.
Presenting Acting Senator Scruffles!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

I'll have you note that none of us Old Romans have sunken to this level of debauchery. By appreciating the glories of the past, we learn from it's failures! On that note, I personally feel that my horse is too good for this place, what with the way it has gone downhill recently. In fact, one might say that it has... gone to the dogs!

NewMars fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 28, 2014

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Pyroi posted:

(What follows is a rough translation of a drunken rant. It has been translated into readable text for your sanity.)
I'm not quite dead yet! What happened is that the Komnenians make very nice drinks. Who's for going to go kill some Douxes!
(The Senator then collapsed unconscious into a pile of maps of Europe.)

For all that some of my fellow citizens like to deride the Old Romans for being backwards-looking, I'd like to point out that you're the ones engaging in revelry best described as, shall we say, Dionysian.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just that if you're going to engage in this kind of behavior you could at least support the party that is willing to call it an Honorable Roman Tradition That Should Be Restored. :colbert:

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

(The senator then gently waddles off, obviously well in his cups)

This is what we're talking about. This and icons.

Skyfinder
Dec 28, 2012

D3m3 posted:

No, that's pretty much perfect. It's just a quick sketch, but I'm way too entertained by the notion to not draw doggies.
Presenting Acting Senator Scruffles!

His first order of business, outlawing cats in the Empire. :allears:

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Skyfinder posted:

His first order of business, outlawing cats in the Empire. :allears:

Do you want plague? Because that's how you get plague.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

HenessyHero posted:

Do you want plague? Because that's how you get plague.

Ieasus, now I'm getting flashbacks to the last time we had to have the Senate re-carpeted and... He shudders. No more redecoration decisions. They're all the Empress's choice from now on.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Ahem,

erm no that's not... *urrrrp*

I approve of the portrait of the honorable Scruffles (though it fails to capture the full extent of his rakish charms), but must caution against praising him unduly. For you see, he has been a very bad doggie indeed and will have to spend the night in the dog house -- which is what I call the local drunk tank. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to buy new sandals, my old pair has been... defiled.

Talky
Mar 26, 2010

Kellsterik posted:

This is what we're talking about. This and icons.

I agree completely. Maybe your party and our party should cooperate on the issues of art and drink?

Really, it's what's best for the Empire even from a purely strategic standpoint. If the Empire's enemies found out that THIS is the current state of the Senate, they would surely descend upon Rome at once! Therefore we should ban both drinking and all representational forms of art, so that this never happens again and nobody can ever depict this current spat of disgraceful behavior.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Well then, why don't we just ban coffee, hashish and complex geometric patterns?

I don't see you being so eager to give up your own vices.

Talky
Mar 26, 2010

NewMars posted:

Well then, why don't we just ban coffee, hashish and complex geometric patterns?

I don't see you being so eager to give up your own vices.

What's coffee?

OCC: I was totally going to make a coffee hangover cure joke, but I think we're a few centuries too early for coffee to really be a popular thing in the Middle East? At least if I'm reading Wikipedia right.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
OOC: Are we? Oh, well, a senator already made a joke about chai tea, so I think we can be a bit lenient with things like that. (I almost put hookahs in there because I forgot tobacco came from the new world.)

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
ooc: Yup, Coffee was attested to the mid-1400s in Yemen, we're a quarter of a millennium away. Chai, whilst exotic, can be dated to contemporary with the founding of the original Rome. Hashish goes back several millenia.

Gigagar
Nov 6, 2013

A bit of a fruit.

Fellow senators, can we not manage to keep the mood here light and airy after our duties to the Empress? Perhaps over this barrel of beer one of the merchants sold me? It's quite delicious.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

Steppes and Republics

....Wow the senate is pretty empty, and here I thought that the senators here argued for most of the day before they left and the night senators argued in their place while the day senators were gone.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Blackunknown posted:

Steppes and Republics

....Wow the senate is pretty empty, and here I thought that the senators here argued for most of the day before they left and the night senators argued in their place while the day senators were gone.

The senate is still full of senators. However, if those senators are in fact conscious is a different story, and the stench of alcohol and somebody's lunch is keeping the conscious senators out. The slaves had no opportunity to clean up as apparently orders came from the Kommenians to "not interrupt our important emergency senate meeting, regardless of the situation".

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

TheMcD posted:

The senate is still full of senators. However, if those senators are in fact conscious is a different story, and the stench of alcohol and somebody's lunch is keeping the conscious senators out. The slaves had no opportunity to clean up as apparently orders came from the Kommenians to "not interrupt our important emergency senate meeting, regardless of the situation".

Steppes and Republics

...... We're in an emergency senate meeting? For what? I thought this was the senate's usual daily meeting.

Talky
Mar 26, 2010

Every meeting is an emergency meeting!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Blackunknown posted:

Steppes and Republics

...... We're in an emergency senate meeting? For what? I thought this was the senate's usual daily meeting.

No, the emergency meeting was in the night. Apparently it involved some sort of scandal regarding the wineries of the empire, as I saw a bundle of different wine barrels brought in and some senators talking about a "sampling". The meeting took the entire night and left the senators quite fatigued, if not downright knocked out, and left the senate hall quite a mess. I can't stomach alcohol of any kind, so I took an early leave, but found it hard to sleep, as the hard working senators had turned into quite the raucous bunch, singing loud songs for ages until it eventually faded out.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

TheMcD posted:

No, the emergency meeting was in the night. Apparently it involved some sort of scandal regarding the wineries of the empire, as I saw a bundle of different wine barrels brought in and some senators talking about a "sampling". The meeting took the entire night and left the senators quite fatigued, if not downright knocked out, and left the senate hall quite a mess. I can't stomach alcohol of any kind, so I took an early leave, but found it hard to sleep, as the hard working senators had turned into quite the raucous bunch, singing loud songs for ages until it eventually faded out.

Steppes and Republics

Perhaps we need to ban consumption of alcohol until after the senate meeting. I mean if the wineries are in trouble we can't have drunk senators laying about, if this affects the Empire's wine trade it could be a serious issue to funding.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Basically, that lot over there busy themselves being incoherent and insensible, allowing those of us who remain sober to work on some useful legislation and pass it off as the handiwork of some unconscious sot's dog. They can't exactly vote against their own pets after giving them senatorial powers, can they?

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Blackunknown posted:

Steppes and Republics

Perhaps we need to ban consumption of alcohol until after the senate meeting. I mean if the wineries are in trouble we can't have drunk senators laying about, if this affects the Empire's wine trade it could be a serious issue to funding.

Hey, let's not get crazy here. It was just a wine tasting party...I think. I don't really remember most of last night. Also, could you keep it down over there? You're yelling way too loud.

Gigagar
Nov 6, 2013

A bit of a fruit.

You know what they say, hair of dog and all that. Just not from Scrufles, I don't think he takes kindly to senators with scissors.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

AJ_Impy posted:

Basically, that lot over there busy themselves being incoherent and insensible, allowing those of us who remain sober to work on some useful legislation and pass it off as the handiwork of some unconscious sot's dog. They can't exactly vote against their own pets after giving them senatorial powers, can they?

That's how we've gotten all the useful legislation passed so far...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

That's how we've gotten all the useful legislation passed so far...

It doesn't hurt to insert a few 'Jar of wine for each senator' clauses scribed in large, easy to read letters above the small print, either.

• Locked thread