Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The curse of Dexter extends its names to Elementary it seems. Freebo lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
I really wish this show wasn't a murder of the week thing. I feel they could take it to much more interesting places handling other types of cases

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I really liked the case Joan was working on with the missing veteran. If there's one reason I stick with this show, it's for the character building moments, especially when you see Sherlock and her going out to distribute blankets; I wonder if it implies that he wants to help her find her dad again? It's a nice thought. :unsmith:

Also, Sherlock mentioned that her stepdad was a novelist. I'm getting more and more convinced that stepdad Watson's first name is John.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
“Chemical‐laden” cigarettes, Sherlock, really?

He should know better than that.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Compendium posted:

I really liked the case Joan was working on with the missing veteran. If there's one reason I stick with this show, it's for the character building moments, especially when you see Sherlock and her going out to distribute blankets; I wonder if it implies that he wants to help her find her dad again? It's a nice thought. :unsmith:

Agreed. The main case was just kind of there, and everything seemed more telegraphed than normal. I pegged the lawyer right away, and some of the over-explanation of the clues was driving me nuts. "We couldn't find her new MAN because it was a WOMAN... It was IRIS!" Normally this show is a lot better at avoiding dialogue like that. The B-story was good, though, and did a lot to expand on Joan and Sherlock's relationship. You know it's a good show when a weaker episode still manages to hold your attention all the way through.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Jorghnassen posted:

OK, maybe I've seen too many ballet recitals, but those dancers look way too heavy for pros. Ballet girls are really skinny (and generally boob-less).

ETA: come to think of it, it's probably because the guest star would really look out of place as a prima ballerina if they picked the right body type for the rest.

Well, you can also throw a dart out of a window in LA and hit somebody with at least some basic ballet/dance training, so I imagine casting those extras was a whole lot easier than getting an actual ballet company.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

VDay posted:

Well, you can also throw a dart out of a window in LA and hit somebody with at least some basic ballet/dance training, so I imagine casting those extras was a whole lot easier than getting an actual ballet company.

Particularly for just one scene. Still, my ballet acquaintances would probably laugh at that casting (and 3 seconds of choreography).

But, yeah, the main plot in that episode was less interesting than the B-plot (and now we know how Joan Watson got her last name, or was that mentioned before?). Also, am I the only one who noticed Jonny Lee Miller's voice has been odd for the past 2 episodes. Maybe he's had a cold or something.

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
His voice definitely sounded odd to me. Especially during the first half or so.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jorghnassen posted:

OK, maybe I've seen too many ballet recitals, but those dancers look way too heavy for pros. Ballet girls are really skinny (and generally boob-less).

ETA: come to think of it, it's probably because the guest star would really look out of place as a prima ballerina if they picked the right body type for the rest.

That's funny, I've also seen quite a few ballets and they felt about right. They're perhaps a little heavier than normal, but ballerinas are not waifs at all. They look like athletes, which they are.

Pick fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 8, 2014

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Jorghnassen posted:

Aleksa Palladino did not have the feet of a great ballerina (try not to Google "ballerina feet" to see the damage that can occur).

Regy Rusty posted:

Woo Bell is back! :woop:
Nice subtle touch with Bell, with Joan seeing him in the office with the photo of the missing vet, his hand still had a slight tremble when he put the mug down. His recovery is still continuing, hasn't been written out / conveniently forgotten.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again

Jorghnassen posted:

Also, am I the only one who noticed Jonny Lee Miller's voice has been odd for the past 2 episodes. Maybe he's had a cold or something.

I didn't notice it until this episode, it was driving me nuts the first half of the episode. It almost sounded like a completely different person.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Sounds like he's just got a cold/is congested.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.
I seem to recall his voice doing the same thing around the half-way point of last season as well. Apparently winter in New York does not agree with him.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Still Fluxing posted:

I seem to recall his voice doing the same thing around the half-way point of last season as well. Apparently winter in New York does not agree with him.

Winter in New York agree's with very few people

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
The episode felt like one they'd have aired after the Superbowl - something for new viewers to jump onto.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

This episode fell a little flat for me. As mentioned above the main story was a bit hamfisted, but the secondary story and the outstanding jobs by the main cast still made it an excellent watch. When is the next episode? Seems like lots of shows have been taking frequent two or three week breaks between episodes lately.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

IcePhoenix posted:

This episode fell a little flat for me. As mentioned above the main story was a bit hamfisted, but the secondary story and the outstanding jobs by the main cast still made it an excellent watch. When is the next episode? Seems like lots of shows have been taking frequent two or three week breaks between episodes lately.

It's apparently February 27th and it's called "The One Percent Solution". Two more weeks :effort:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I gotta ask. What is with the unusually infrequent episodes? Lately it seems like they're coming out every other week.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I think this time it could be Olympics? Could be wrong though and maybe they fell behind on timely shooting of episodes. The first season was way worse at this though if I remember correctly.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's the combination of the usual winter break and then the Olympics. So shows still came back from break at the usual time, but then went back on break until the Olympics is over.

TV scheduling!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Everything is getting pushed due to the Olympics. People keep asking in every TV thread it seems. Walking Dead is the exception because it does better than the Olympics.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, the Olympics always messes this up. However, it seems it extends to things it shouldn't. I think part of it is just an excuse to show reruns and make the "season" last longer. "Olympics!"

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
It's still kind of weird to have reruns during February sweeps.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I am so glad we're finally getting a new episode this Thursday.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

:siren:New Episode Tonight:siren:

The One Percent Solution

(Guest star spoiler)Tensions rise when Holmes and Watson are forced to partner with Gareth Lestrade, Sherlock's former Scotland Yard colleague, on a bombing investigation.

:D

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Oh this is gonna be awesome. :dance:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The rules of television censorship are always entertaining.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"Are you allergic to cocks?"

"The cock in my hand, how did it get there?"

It's not exactly highbrow, but I laughed.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Really solid episode, Lestrade is awesome. Sherlock's ringtone was probably my favorite part, completely out of nowhere and hilarious. I also really enjoyed all the cock jokes, I didn't quite expect that sort of humor from this show.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Other than the part where Sherlock happened to find the exact time that Aurelius was testing the fuses, I enjoyed the episode. I hope they find a reason to bring back Sean Pertwee for more.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Maera Sior posted:

Other than the part where Sherlock happened to find the exact time that Aurelius was testing the fuses, I enjoyed the episode. I hope they find a reason to bring back Sean Pertwee for more.

Surely there would be a way to search the data for abnormal spikes in temperature? Didn't seem too far-fetched for me, but then again I don't tend to think too critically about tv shows.

Hope we see more of the cocks.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
So many animals at the house now.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I loved Joan/

"I'm not going to call them that. I'm not 12."

"We own chickens now, don't we?"

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I liked the spin on "Why did the chicken cross the road?"

"Why is the chicken outside my door?"

"To wake you up, of course!"

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Echophonic posted:

Really solid episode, Lestrade is awesome. Sherlock's ringtone was probably my favorite part, completely out of nowhere and hilarious.

Yeah that was the perfect obnoxious song to choose for that. Also loved the not-so-subtle jab at TED talks and the fact that 99% of them are pretentious voids of verbal masturbation.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
I kinda liked the chicken metaphor during this episode. Took a while to click, but it worked :unsmith:

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

MrFlibble posted:

Surely there would be a way to search the data for abnormal spikes in temperature? Didn't seem too far-fetched for me, but then again I don't tend to think too critically about tv shows.
My father deals with satellite imagery, so I have some idea of the time you'd spend just processing the data. These files are massive, so it's not like you keep them all on hand.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
"I don't care which cock I'm holding, I just want to know how it got there" was worth it just for the look on Sherlock's face. In a show where Johnny Lee Miller makes perfect facial expressions regularly, this one stood out. I rewound that 3 or 4 times.

I'm glad we got another Lestrade episode, since I really like this show's take on the character.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

This was a fun episode, I quite liked it.

But goddammit, Sherlock, just out your drat phone on vibrate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I'm only a few minutes into the episode but a server who "tried to unionize the dishwashers and hates the clientele" is just called a server.

They're all like that.

• Locked thread