Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Crap, I don't think there is any legion presence left in the Mojave at this point, I did take him along on my purge of the fort, I think I had veronica during Nelson, and only ED-E during Nipton. I wonder if Legion Assassins count? I didn't realize that was all there was to Lily's quest, so I finished it.

IIRC Boone's triggers are based on location, so even if you've exterminated all Legion dudes, as long as you go there it should work fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
With Boone, I believe you also have to talk to people about the Bitter Springs massacre. Bitter Root, Manny etc all count

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

IIRC Boone's triggers are based on location, so even if you've exterminated all Legion dudes, as long as you go there it should work fine.

Groovy, I'll have to do that now.

Ddraig posted:

With Boone, I believe you also have to talk to people about the Bitter Springs massacre. Bitter Root, Manny etc all count

Give that a go as well.

Vicelikebran
Feb 28, 2014
Soon as I get to the boomers I slaughterer them. No body fires artillery at me and gets away with it.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Vicelikebran posted:

Soon as I get to the boomers I slaughterer them. No body fires artillery at me and gets away with it.

I never did this but that's only because Project Nevada has a sprint button to make that fetch quest more palatable.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
No, it doesn't seem like its location based, as I just went to every location and Boone didn't say anything. You have to actually have him as a companion when you rescue the hostages in Nelson or stop the boming.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

twistedmentat posted:

No, it doesn't seem like its location based, as I just went to every location and Boone didn't say anything. You have to actually have him as a companion when you rescue the hostages in Nelson or stop the boming.

another one you can do is rescue the hostages that the legion took from Nipton. Talk to the guy in the store in Nipton about it (can't remember his name, Boxcars?) to get the quest 'Booted', then go free them with Boone in tow.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

JawKnee posted:

another one you can do is rescue the hostages that the legion took from Nipton. Talk to the guy in the store in Nipton about it (can't remember his name, Boxcars?) to get the quest 'Booted', then go free them with Boone in tow.

Already done, I guess i'll just have to save it for the next time I play though.

Renditious
Sep 25, 2012
You know, the FNV wiki has a list of all the triggers for Boone's quest and how to activate them, if you'd rather have a precise listing instead of a general idea. Pretty much every one involves the legion though, so if you've already done all the legion related quests, you're most likely out of luck, unless you want to try using the console to manually set the relevant variables.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Renditious posted:

You know, the FNV wiki has a list of all the triggers for Boone's quest and how to activate them, if you'd rather have a precise listing instead of a general idea. Pretty much every one involves the legion though, so if you've already done all the legion related quests, you're most likely out of luck, unless you want to try using the console to manually set the relevant variables.

I thought of that, but I figured that I'll just make sure I keep Boone in my party when I play again. As I've said, I've never completed a Mr House run, so I'll need to do at least one more run. I don't think there is a Legion game that won't make you feel gross.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
The NCR MP running up and attacking you is a bug, it's happened to me with a near-idolized NCR rep/ neutral or better Strip rep. Fucker's persistent too, sometimes he even comes up to me when I'm nowhere near the Strip itself. Since his presence is just a bug, I don't feel bad about just opening up the console, clicking on him, and typing "kill."

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

twistedmentat posted:

I don't think there is a Legion game that won't make you feel gross.

High strength, Low int character named Titus Pullo.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

PootieTang posted:

High strength, Low int character named Titus Pullo.

Yea, but the stuff you do, its just terrible! And Pullo was not dumb, just unsophisticated.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, but the stuff you do, its just terrible! And Pullo was not dumb, just unsophisticated.

True... Yeah I guess there isn't a way to feel good about crucifying dudes. Still, since you've seen Rome just try to channel the whole 'it's barbaric, but not as barbaric as the people outside the Roman border' thing in your mind. I mean in a choice between the legion and the fiends, I'd pick the legion. And Raul (Who I've just found in my playthrough, conveniently enough) says that the Legion actually were a sortof force of good in... Wherever it was. Which I suppose they would be if there was nothing but fiends-style raiders there. I mean theoretically legion civilians that live within their borders live a reasonably safe and peaceful life. The borders are where Roman society is at it's ugliest.

The problem with the Legion is that the presence of the NCR and hell even the BoS give you much better alternatives. The legion works if it's the only alternative to tribal barbarism, when there's functional democracies/technocracies that DON'T crucify or enslave people it becomes a lot less appealing.

And it seems like a missed opportunity that the Legion's version of slavery seems to be more of the plantation kind than the Roman kind. Or at least, late Roman. It would have helped if at one point you met a Legion slave who said "Actually, the Roman system of slavery guarantee's me a salary, living quarters and a fairly good quality of life as well as protection from abuse by my master. I think I'd rather stay here and wait until I can buy my freedom than return to the wasteland to get raped by fiends, or starve when I can't find work/people to take me in thanks."

It would let you keep the legion as the bad guys but still have at least some sort of complexity and viability as a side a player might support.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

just roleplay a dumb brainwashed psychopath

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I started the DLC's at level 18, now im at Old World Blues at 31. All the robots are incredibly strong and deadly, even those multi-armed floating octopus things that talk in British accents. The weird humans running around in hospital gowns die easily at least. But this is the hardest DLC yet.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Avocados posted:

I started the DLC's at level 18, now im at Old World Blues at 31. All the robots are incredibly strong and deadly, even those multi-armed floating octopus things that talk in British accents. The weird humans running around in hospital gowns die easily at least. But this is the hardest DLC yet.

I love old world blues because everything in the place wants to and will kill you. Even the lunatics guns do a crap ton of damamge so you just want to sneak everywhere or get sniped by everything. All the monsters in the place were created by one of the scientists too so it really makes you hate them all for making them. :allears:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I just wish it wasn't so frustrating. I'd rather them take my weapons like Dead Money and fight regular health mobs with scavenged guns and slowly build up to being dangerous again. Not outright make every non-energy weapon a BB gun. (Although I think I read this DLC suffers scaling issues if you play it late like I did, to be fair). Aside from it, Fallout handles non-serious very well. The game is so goofy both in plot and gameplay glitches that it's hard to get emotionally swayed.

Except Lily, that little backstory gets me every time :smith:.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I love how when you get to the Forbidden Zone and confront Mobius, you learn his reason for doing what he does/did, and it makes complete sense. I was also happy to find out you don't actually have to kill the giant roboscorpion, but there is a terminal you can shut it down with. Higgs village is great because its fun exploring the homes of the Think Tank and get some insight of who they are. Dala's house is super creepy with all the teddy bears and sexy sleepwere every where. I forget who's house had all the booze in it, but Dr 0's house with the picture of House with the knives is pretty amusing.

My problem with the Legion is that its clear is pretty much a group of pyschopaths that's going to either asborb and enslave everyone and kill everyone they can. It's really only the Cult of Personality that Caesar has built around himself and the complete and utter loyalty his men have for him that keeps them from degrading into complete bloodthirsty throne of skulls level behavior. It's only because Caeser himself is educated that the situation is fairly good back in Arizona, where merchants can travel safely and communities are prosperous and safe. He knows what is needed for a society to function. It's pretty clear that without Caesar, and Lanius in charge, you'd lose that rigid control and civilizing aspects. Doesn't Lanius kill everyone who could possibly challenge his leadership once he takes control? I remember a slide saying that at the end of the one Legion game I finished.

The legion path reminds me of the Sith path in KOTOR2, less lawful evil repressive control and more evil for evil and cruelty sake. The game even has a authoritarian control option in mr house, the Legion is the psychopath evil choice. I kind of wish they had shown that the impression that you hear from NCR and others is worse than it is, that the Legion is actually just the military of Caesars empire, and that it's actually a ordered, but oppressive society. The "all women are slaves" thing could have been removed, and the slavery could have been shown to be more Republican slavery, rather than Chattle slavery we think of.

Also, the Legion path could have involved Caesar's heir plotline. Caesar knows he's dieing, even with the brain surgery, and gets you to to help him find someone who can lead the Legion after he's gone. He knows Lanius is a great military leader, but he has no ability to actually rule and create a society. Arizona would return to its tribal, barbaric roots. There could have been a couple other options in the Fort, and you could do some politicking and assassination and get who you choose to be the next leader of the Legion. As it stands, the legion plot line is "go kill all the NCR leaders, Mr House, the BoS and anyone else who might make our lives difficult".

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Started my third playthrough yesterday, and I'm glad I finally pulled myself away from guns to give Unarmed a try. There's something satisfying about circling around to an enemy's flank while ED-E distracts them then sending them flying with an uppercut. I decided to go with light armor since Travel Light and Light Touch are really nice and there are several ways to boost DR at relatively low levels. Also, it's obviously more badass to run into danger with a Power Fist and a pair of jeans.

It's crazy how much content is in this game, and how much of it has been thought through. Simply getting all the companions and doing their sidequests (thanks to the talk in this thread) is bringing me to places I haven't seen before, populated by characters that shed some light on the bigger picture.

This is probably my favorite game from the last ten years. Obsidian almost always seems to trust the player to make story/thematic connections, and on top of that New Vegas has a distinct tone that never lets up, even when things take a turn for the tragic or comedic.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

It's crazy how much content is in this game, and how much of it has been thought through. Simply getting all the companions and doing their sidequests (thanks to the talk in this thread) is bringing me to places I haven't seen before, populated by characters that shed some light on the bigger picture.

As someone who still hasn't finished their first playthrough, I've got to say I'm blown away by just how much stuff there is to do. I thought 'I'll do all the missions outside of New Vegas and the DLC's before heading in' but I gave up on that today since it seems like there's just an ENDLESS supply of new quests/characters and they're all fun. They aren't those terrible sidequests in RPGs that just feel... Soulless and boring (Looking at you, Skyrim).

But, in regards to the main storyline, I've gotta say Benny is every bit as stupid as he sounds when he talks. It only takes 60 speech to get him to send away his bodyguards and meet you completely alone (Well, I had Cass and Rex there too, so extra dumb points for him). I mean did he remember he shot me in the head and left me in a shallow grave? I mean, 60 speech! It took 75 to get a discount at the vault 21 hotel!

I can't wait until his bodyguards go up to the suite to check on him and find him.

Or did I go too far? I never used to mutilate bodies and leave them to be found by their friends. It all started with that drat BoS ambush I moaned about earlier...

(I was hoping to swap all of their heads around so they'd look crazy, but one of their heads blew up and the other rolled away and I couldn't find it)

...Yeah I think I might have to take a break from the wasteland for a while...

Also is it me, or is posing objects really hard to do? There doesn't seem to be any way to rotate what you're holding so that you can pose it right, it was a pain in the rear end to get the heads to stay ontop of the neck-stump. And don't get me started on getting Benny's head to face the right way in that toilet...

PootieTang fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Feb 28, 2014

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

PootieTang posted:

As someone who still hasn't finished their first playthrough, I've got to say I'm blown away by just how much stuff there is to do. I thought 'I'll do all the missions outside of New Vegas and the DLC's before heading in' but I gave up on that today since it seems like there's just an ENDLESS supply of new quests/characters and they're all fun. They aren't those terrible sidequests in RPGs that just feel... Soulless and boring (Looking at you, Skyrim).

But, in regards to the main storyline, I've gotta say Benny is every bit as stupid as he sounds when he talks. It only takes 60 speech to get him to send away his bodyguards and meet you completely alone (Well, I had Cass and Rex there too, so extra dumb points for him). I mean did he remember he shot me in the head and left me in a shallow grave? I mean, 60 speech! It took 75 to get a discount at the vault 21 hotel!

I can't wait until his bodyguards go up to the suite to check on him and find him.

Or did I go too far? I never used to mutilate bodies and leave them to be found by their friends. It all started with that drat BoS ambush I moaned about earlier...

(I was hoping to swap all of their heads around so they'd look crazy, but one of their heads blew up and the other rolled away and I couldn't find it)

...Yeah I think I might have to take a break from the wasteland for a while...

Also is it me, or is posing objects really hard to do? There doesn't seem to be any way to rotate what you're holding so that you can pose it right, it was a pain in the rear end to get the heads to stay ontop of the neck-stump. And don't get me started on getting Benny's head to face the right way in that toilet...

haha

I always used to put the bodies of the thugs that attacked me in Freeside on the flaming garbage cans. Maybe the stench of burning flesh will remind you not to come after me! it will not, more corpses for the fire!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Avocados posted:

If you use the robo-killing weapons the DLC showers you in it quickly becomes babby easy, especially if you're running unarmed/melee. Also, did you get the Pulse Gun in the Mojave? That's useful too.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

If the robots are giving you a problem the best thing to do is grab a Proton Axe and charge! :black101:

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

PootieTang posted:

You can sure hold a grudge. We should all take note to never piss you off.

I always feel inclined to let Benny go, I don't know why. I just can't stay at mad people, I guess. :angel:

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

Nobody Interesting posted:

You can sure hold a grudge. We should all take note to never piss you off.

I always feel inclined to let Benny go, I don't know why. I just can't stay at mad people, I guess. :angel:

He shot me in the head! Twice! Shallow grave!

Yeah you're way too forgiving, I mean Mr House was straight up, he ordered a package and was gonna pay me fair and square. Hell, he saves your life through Victor right at the start, showers you with gifts when you first meet, then offers you a huge bonus for completing the delivery. Also, he's polite and has a rocking voice actor.

Benny? He didn't even NEED to shoot you as far as I can tell, and just robbing a courier is a major faux pas. Like Cass said, you don't gently caress with the people who deliver your mail. How could you side with Benny against such a kind old man?

My only dissapointment in the game so far was that there was no option to say to Benny "From where you're kneeling it must seem like an 18-carat run of bad luck. Truth is...the game was rigged from the start." Then BAM!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

JawKnee posted:

haha

I always used to put the bodies of the thugs that attacked me in Freeside on the flaming garbage cans. Maybe the stench of burning flesh will remind you not to come after me! it will not, more corpses for the fire!

I never really do anything with bodies, except throwing Jeannie May's body off the bridge to deflect suspicion. But last time I killed Caesar I spent a ridiculous amount of time getting his body placed just so, then cutting his head off and trying to put a Legion Mongrel head on, to re-enact that one Game Of Thrones scene.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

If you use the robo-killing weapons the DLC showers you in it quickly becomes babby easy, especially if you're running unarmed/melee. Also, did you get the Pulse Gun in the Mojave? That's useful too.

A zap glove is a good investment as well.

PootieTang posted:

My only dissapointment in the game so far was that there was no option to say to Benny "From where you're kneeling it must seem like an 18-carat run of bad luck. Truth is...the game was rigged from the start." Then BAM!

I wish your confrontation with him was as loaded with gambling puns as the intro. This game is too high-stakes for you, Benny. I never trust a man with snake eyes. Time to fold *blam*

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 28, 2014

Jimmy Noskill
Nov 5, 2010

I would have liked it if the Legion was portrayed as more of a brutal-but-just meritocracy. Conquered peoples are enslaved, but given very basic rights and the chance to work their way out of slavery. Advancement through society would be based entirely on merit with corruption punishable by death. Also, no rape camps. The Legion would still be harsh and unforgiving, but not without some upsides. Do you side with the corrupt and nepotistic, but relatively free, NCR or do you side with the cruel and authoritarian, but ultimately more "fair" Legion?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Well most of the Legion content was supposedly in that mythical late development section where post game content resides that they weren't given time to do so presumably that's where any sypathetic content would be. But there isn't really any way to make them not hilariously evil with you know, canonical rape camps and enslavement of every female in their territory.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The best way to make Caesar more sympathetic, imho, would be to have him more versed and determined in applying the philosophy he claims to represent. As it is there really isn't any idea behind his rule that could convince an observer that the price paid is worth it.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

JawKnee posted:

haha

Last time I played I dragged Joe Cobb's corpse up to the cemetery.

I mean, there was a perfectly good grave there just going to waste...

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

PootieTang posted:

He shot me in the head! Twice! Shallow grave!

Yeah you're way too forgiving, I mean Mr House was straight up, he ordered a package and was gonna pay me fair and square. Hell, he saves your life through Victor right at the start, showers you with gifts when you first meet, then offers you a huge bonus for completing the delivery. Also, he's polite and has a rocking voice actor.

Benny? He didn't even NEED to shoot you as far as I can tell, and just robbing a courier is a major faux pas. Like Cass said, you don't gently caress with the people who deliver your mail. How could you side with Benny against such a kind old man?

The funniest thing is that there was originally an encounter planned later on in the game where Benny would try to kill you again. It was removed from the final game.

He's the most stupid man in vegas. He tries to kill you two (or three) times and just doesn't learn.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Yeah, the Legion got the short of end of the stick. They have by far the least amount of content in the game, and what they have is some fighting and a couple of forward bases. No like actual controlled territory like you get with the NCR.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Try doing this at high levels, and you'll change your tune. OWB and Dead Money become loving impossibly hard at high levels because every enemy is hurt by almost nothing.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
One of my major disappointments with the Legion is that there's very few opportunities to be a "double agent". It's already been established that the Legion are masters of espionage, and have agents virtually everywhere (to the point where they manage to get one into the rail network despite intense vetting by the NCR) but there's very few opportunities to join the ranks and sabotage the NCR from within. There's either only completely overt stuff (like using ARCHIMEDES to kill them around Helios) or a very minor role in one particular quest.

I wish you could do things like deliberately sabotage certain things, like killing the wounded soldiers covertly in Forlorn Hope, feeding false information to the ranger stations etc.

I mean, if you're going to go Legion, you might aswell go all the way.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, that would be pretty awesome.

Is there any Non-brotherhood power armor in the wasteland? I got training, and all I can find of the 51 type are brotherhood marked so I get shot at my ncr people where ever I go. I know once I complete the NCR quest line they'll be cool with the BoS, but I want to hear it now. the 45 type they gave me is actually worse than the Desert Ranger armor I found in Zion, so no point in wearing it.

I'm level 48, but there's still lots I want to do, but when should I go do Lonesome Road where it fits in with the story the most?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I believe there are non-faction-dependant versions of both power armors scattered around the wasteland. The Remnants power armor is also faction-independant. There's also NCR power armor too but it's mostly found in the Long 15 after Lonesome Road.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I think you can buy non-faction T-51B power armor from the Brotherhood merchant too, Torres.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I'm level 48, but there's still lots I want to do, but when should I go do Lonesome Road where it fits in with the story the most?

LR fits best if you do it right before the battle for Hoover Dam, after you've firmly committed to a side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Byzantine posted:

LR fits best if you do it right before the battle for Hoover Dam, after you've firmly committed to a side.

So right after i save the NCR President?

Oh and I found a set of faction free in the BoS safehouse.