Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander

guppy posted:

Current big organizational priority: professional development.

My boss' current training budget: $0.

I think I am starting to move into outright hatred of my employer.

just wait for your boss to pass out photocopied booklets from "server 2012 for dummies"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
My boss is actually not the problem, my boss is great. The problem is the complete lack of support from higher up.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
This is me trying to sell an idea at my current gig. I'm Dlibert.

http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2014-02-23/

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

guppy posted:

My boss is actually not the problem, my boss is great. The problem is the complete lack of support from higher up.

I hear you. A while back I worked at a place that was all "training!" except to them that meant £50 each per year.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

guppy posted:

Current big organizational priority: professional development.

My boss' current training budget: $0.

I think I am starting to move into outright hatred of my employer.

My company spent a lot of money on access for all employees to web based training on all sorts of technical stuff and encouraged us to take training classes on our own time.

2 months later they wondered why no one was taking training classes after they spent all that money.

RangerAce
Feb 25, 2014

slightpirate posted:

just wait for your boss to pass out photocopied booklets from "server 2012 for dummies"

Did that actually happen? Ouch...

Right now, I'm sick of a Director of the IT/Engineering group in our org constantly getting himself new MacBook Pro's every six months, while I have employees that are sitting on 3+ year old Dell Optiplex boxes with 1280x1024 monitors.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
I do not know who came up with the idea, but there are "things" that you can configure on iOS via bitwise or. In XML. Seriously, wtf? This isn't a slow wire protocol on some hilarious constrained device, this is full fat XML over 4G/WiFi on a platform that's more powerful than the desktops of 10 years ago.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
pissing me off: trying to understand dudes who speak English with a very heavy Indian accent.
Does anyone have any tips or methods for getting better at this? I have to talk to this particular vendor all the time and pretty much every tech has a strong accent. I feel like an rear end for having to get them to repeat everything all the time.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

We have DoD customers so we have to keep everything for 7 years

Our main problem is all of our internal systems exchange information via email. Our developers don't know any other way, apparently.

Send a file from one system to another? What the gently caress is ftp/scp, email it! Upload an image? That's too tough, email it!

So we have a copy in the users sent items, a copy in the 'images@whatever.com' mailbox, etc.

I'm sure somewhere there's an email box that's being used as a database of some sort.

Why are you spinning up mailboxes for applications that just send?

Keep everything for seven years: capture it via journaling or some archiving with forced retention.

Frankly if you're relying on, much less allowing, PSTs for keeping data then your org doesn't care. If they ever have to do e-discovery it is going to be an expensive nightmare which could result in sanctions if can't be done expediently. Your lawyers have no clue.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

pissing me off: trying to understand dudes who speak English with a very heavy Indian accent.
Does anyone have any tips or methods for getting better at this? I have to talk to this particular vendor all the time and pretty much every tech has a strong accent. I feel like an rear end for having to get them to repeat everything all the time.

Honestly, it's just something that takes some practice. One of my college professors was Indian, but aside from stressing unexpected syllables sometimes (took me a couple months to realize he was saying "develop" instead of "devil up"), he didn't have too much of an accent. That still prepared me somewhat for my first grown-up job where a large proportion of the dev staff was Indian, but had really thick accents. By the time I left that job about four years later it wasn't a problem for me at all (it didn't take that long though).

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Speaking as someone with an accent who's pretty goddamn hard to understand on the phone, I'm not at all offended when people ask me to repeat myself.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

evol262 posted:

Speaking as someone with an accent who's pretty goddamn hard to understand on the phone, I'm not at all offended when people ask me to repeat myself.

Yea, just be polite and remember they might have just as hard of a time understanding you. Everyone I've ever talked to at Microsoft support has been very, very hard to understand.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Bob Morales posted:

Yea, just be polite and remember they might have just as hard of a time understanding you. Everyone I've ever talked to at Microsoft support has been very, very hard to understand.

Try vonage. India is too expensive for their call centers so they went with Manilla

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Try vonage. India is too expensive for their call centers so they went with Manilla

My ex-girlfriend was Filipino so I'm used to hearing her family talk (I mean yell) and I even picked up a little Tagalog.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Just be polite, and don't be afraid to ask them to speak more slowly. I'm very good at getting through thick accents, but even I have trouble occasionally. It can also be helpful to follow up with a nice email, which gives you an opportunity to ensure you heard things correctly, and lets the other person know you're a decent human being.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Manilla call centers are pretty standard in the telecommunications industry even for B2B, you know you're getting cut-rate when you start dealing with Malaysian centers. I supported a customer that used an IVR system, rather than license a functional voice recognition system with fuzzy matching, the audio was piped live to reps in Malaysia who didn't speak English, but were supposed to type phonetically the sounds they heard and a text search would match the correct result and play it to the customer. This usually worked relatively well, except that the reps could not understand anyone from parts of the Southern US. We had managers watch live and we'd see them just not type anything because they didn't have the first clue what sounds had come out of the customer's mouth.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

40MB PDF "manuals" that consist of:

1 cover page containing a huge image scanned at 600dpi
2 pages of legal bullshit in 3pt font
1 blank page to make the next section start on an odd numbered page (it's not a loving real book nobody cares!)
3 contents pages listing every single diagram, table, and sub-sub-sub-subsection
1 blank page to make the next section start on an odd numbered page
4 pages of marketing waffle about the company and their ISO 9001 certification
4 pages of contact information and how to obtain sales brochures
3 pages of static electricity warnings in 15 different languages
3 pages of actual content
2 blank pages marked "Notes:"
2 pages describing how and where to buy the product
3 page index

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

Alereon posted:

I supported a customer that used an IVR system, rather than license a functional voice recognition system with fuzzy matching, the audio was piped live to reps in Malaysia who didn't speak English, but were supposed to type phonetically the sounds they heard and a text search would match the correct result and play it to the customer.

What? A Mechanical Turk... for voice?! How much would that cost?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Westie posted:

What? A Mechanical Turk... for voice?! How much would that cost?
Surprisingly they were much cheaper on a per-call basis than the vendors that used voice recognition systems. It helps that the operators were only on each call for a few seconds, so could likely handle hundreds of calls for whatever meagre rate they were paid per hour. I think what it comes down to is that just having humans do it is usually cheaper and faster than having skilled developers create a good automated system, and the error rates and reliability are probably better than having cheap developers create a lovely automated system.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Sweevo posted:

1 blank page to make the next section start on an odd numbered page (it's not a loving real book nobody cares!)
3 contents pages listing every single diagram, table, and sub-sub-sub-subsection
3 page index

loving this.

I would pay (company) money to subscribe to a service that created and maintained an archive of searchable lightweight PDFs that stripped out all of that crap.

3 pages of actual content. Bam. 64k.

Call it fixthisPDF.com and it would have two buttons and two boxes for user input: One marked "PDF upload" and one marked "search for PDFs".

And a bunch of slaves on the back end that ran your PDF through the formatting chipper.

Done.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Also one of the "3 pages of actual content" is a full-page diagram showing how to plug the power cord into the wall.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Don't forget that the content part which requires manual dexterity is a 3cm fuzzy diagram originally scanned from a bad fax.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

Bob Morales posted:

Send a file from one system to another? What the gently caress is ftp/scp, email it! Upload an image? That's too tough, email it!

Oh my god, this.

People would send me documents directly from the local shares instead of just the path to the file until I eventually got them to stop with enough message telling it was pointless, wasting bandwidth and I'm going to open the network version anyways because it's updated in real loving time, but that's only for me. Everyone still sends everything they possible can through e-mail which is filling up our e-mail server because most mail is cc'ed to about 5 higher ups, who all get the attachment too (and will never look at the e-mail, let alone the attachement). No one deletes e-mails or even sorts them and then they get annoyed when our 5Mbps connection takes too long to re-sync all 50,000 e-mails in their inbox. They can't delete e-mails though or archive them, all of them are important, including the thousands of automated message, or single sentance ones from 2003.

No matter how often I remind them that they are using the shares on the network constantly already and everyone in the company can access them (outside of perms and all that), so they don't actually need to e-mail anything since it's already available they just look at me like I'm insane. People in the same room, who need to look over each others documents from the network will e-mail it to each other:

Person A sends person B a document from <Local Share> to review via e-mail. Person B edits document and e-mails back changes to person A. Person A then reviews the edits, and then saves the file to <Local Share>, half the time as a copy of the original. So we end up with:
Document A.docx
Copy of Document A.docx
Copy of Copy of Document A.docx
Copy of Copy of Document A 2014-01-25.docx
Final Document A.docx
Copy of Final Document A.docx

Then they get confused as to which is the real copy and since they've opened and re-saved them while checking just to ensure date stamps are useless.

Tickets also come in asking why they can't send a 500MB file through e-mail...

It just hurts my brain. :(

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

A c E posted:

Tickets also come in asking why they can't send a 500MB file through e-mail...

Email is like a car. This email is like a piece of paper in a car. Comfortable, easy to load, drive to it's destination, and unload.

Your 500MB attachment is not a piece of paper. It's a pallet of serrated lead dildos. Even if we removed the seats and depalletized everything and managed to squeeze them all in there, your fuel economy would be poo poo and no receiving department would even consider unloading it.

Stop emailing pallets of serrated lead dildos.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
I have to wonder why Microsoft hasn't figured out a way to automatically upload attachments larger than X to an FTP server and add a link in the message. Google manages to do it with Gmail and Drive.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

scroogle nmaps posted:

I have to wonder why Microsoft hasn't figured out a way to automatically upload attachments larger than X to an FTP server and add a link in the message. Google manages to do it with Gmail and Drive.

Because they probably realised that people would treat it as permanent storage and expect to be able to retrieve 100mb attachments from 5 years ago.

No joke, I found someone at work with 40,000 mails in her deleted items :suicide:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

scroogle nmaps posted:

Drive is something Google owns and controls, some random FTP server is not something Microsoft owns and controls.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Sweevo posted:

3 page index

We had a vendor provide us a quote for a build once and it was literally a 90 page PDF that had 87 pages of marketing bullshit followed by 3 pages containing the actual quote. :argh:

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Install Windows posted:

Drive is something Google owns and controls, some random FTP server is not something Microsoft owns and controls.

What if it was a designated server/location on the same network as the exchange server? That way it'd be owned (and managed) by the company.

How do they do it for office365 deployments?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Install Windows posted:

They do make IIS though, and tend to do a good job integrating their products.

Yes, people would treat it like permanent storage and complain when something from 5 years ago goes missing, even with a disclaimer, but I feel like that's preferable to the current options of do the same thing manually or upload it to some cyberlocker service that will also delete it after a while or be taken down for DMCA violations.

Baby Town Frolics
Mar 21, 2008

It's like we've got each other's backs.
An email came in...
(I saw this second hand from a friend at work.)

It was a screenshot of some error with our homebrew (read: crap) customer application.

Someone had a question and emailed a few people. After a few rounds of email volleys, some damned idiot emailed a few DEPARTMENT-WIDE DISTRIBUTION LISTS in their reply-all.

As you can expect lots and lots of "Please don't reply all!!!!" Emails were sent along with "Why am I getting this?!?!??" Emails. It went in for a few hours.

This is Healthcare where the common sense doesn't matter and the policies are made up.

I'm seriously expecting a few people to be fired or talked to by HR for this. By the end of the day it was over 100 emails in this chain.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

So the company that borged us want photos so they can do us ID cards, fair enough. They don't state any requirements beyond "a photo"

So me and my partner get the camera out and and take photos. Between her disabilities and my complete failure to look good on camera, this takes a couple of hours, and then it takes her an hour more to get it off the camera and process it in DPP.

I send it off and tell them that I "am not sure what requirements you need, so I have been quite generous with the cropping and left the resolution quite high, so that you can edit it to suit your needs"

six weeks later I get a response telling me that the photo was "unacceptable". I ask if they can tell me what's wrong, e.g. is it a technical issue or are you unhappy with the composition e.g. lighting, shadows, angle.

The response "it doesn't work, try taking another photo".

Great, really helpful feedback there, that's totally going to avoid repeating the same problem after the two of us waste another 3-4 hours at the weekend taking another photo.

I guess it was my mistake, assuming that the people whose job it is to put photos on ID card would know how to, you know, work with images.

I just sent them the same one cropped to a 35:45 ratio and shrunk a lot, hopefully that will work.

If that fails, I'm sorely tempted to just send them a myspace angle shot taken with the company Nokia dumbphone.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Lum posted:

So the company that borged us want photos so they can do us ID cards, fair enough. They don't state any requirements beyond "a photo"

So me and my partner get the camera out and and take photos. Between her disabilities and my complete failure to look good on camera, this takes a couple of hours, and then it takes her an hour more to get it off the camera and process it in DPP.

I send it off and tell them that I "am not sure what requirements you need, so I have been quite generous with the cropping and left the resolution quite high, so that you can edit it to suit your needs"

six weeks later I get a response telling me that the photo was "unacceptable". I ask if they can tell me what's wrong, e.g. is it a technical issue or are you unhappy with the composition e.g. lighting, shadows, angle.

The response "it doesn't work, try taking another photo".

Great, really helpful feedback there, that's totally going to avoid repeating the same problem after the two of us waste another 3-4 hours at the weekend taking another photo.

I guess it was my mistake, assuming that the people whose job it is to put photos on ID card would know how to, you know, work with images.

I just sent them the same one cropped to a 35:45 ratio and shrunk a lot, hopefully that will work.

If that fails, I'm sorely tempted to just send them a myspace angle shot taken with the company Nokia dumbphone.

Sorry the card printing program only supports bmp. Or proprietary corel photo photos. But I dont know what that is so it just doesnt work with that jpg you sent me.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

AlternateAccount posted:

Is it not common knowledge that this generally saves money in support costs and increased productivity compared to people waiting 20 minutes every morning for their machine to catch up and log them in?

I'm late to this party, but I have an answer to your question. Yes. Yes it is common knowledge. The problem is that directors and executives who have budgetary powers are royals, the nobility of the Information Age. They are not commoners, therefore they have no use for common knowledge.

Lum posted:

Don't forget the un-flushed toilet in the background.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

^^^ oh god, I remember that pic doing the rounds. Got a genuine LOL from me.

SEKCobra posted:

Sorry the card printing program only supports bmp. Or proprietary corel photo photos. But I dont know what that is so it just doesnt work with that jpg you sent me.

TBH, I reckon that's basically what's going on. The photo I sent them was 2600x2700 and 1MB in size with the idea that they could edit to be however they wanted. He's probably just tried to load it unaltered into the card printing program and made it crash.

Someone on IRC suggested that was well as sending them a myspace angle cam shot I should also do the duckface, only problem is knowing my luck that's the one they'll actually print on the card.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Lum posted:

We just did some of that crap and the person both taking the photos and making the cards is a secretary. Which I don't mean as a put-down, she's quite good at her job and very nice, but no, she absolutely would not be able to tell you what the issue was if her program wouldn't accept a photo.

Lum posted:

Someone on IRC suggested that was well as sending them a myspace angle cam shot I should also do the duckface, only problem is knowing my luck that's the one they'll actually print on the card.

I'm not sure why that would be a "problem." That would be great.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Lum posted:

[ID cards]

They were probably using an off the shelf ID card program - all of which are terrible. It was probably a Windows 3.1 program that's been hacked to run inside a Windows XP compatibility wrapper. It probably supports 24-bit uncompressed bmp files and nothing else, and has small and completely arbitrary image size limits because it was originally designed to run on a computer with 4MB RAM.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

guppy posted:

I'm not sure why that would be a "problem." That would be great.

I once worked at a company where my "official company photo" - admittedly in the on-line employee database rather than an ID card - was a 6 year old photo of me at Halloween, dressed as Mr T (complete with Mohican, beard, and "gold" jewellery)

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

ookiimarukochan posted:

(complete with Mohican, beard, and "gold" jewellery)

Wrong tribe.

Edit: TIL Mohawk and Mohican are the same. How bout that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Lum posted:

^^^ oh god, I remember that pic doing the rounds. Got a genuine LOL from me.

TBH, I reckon that's basically what's going on. The photo I sent them was 2600x2700 and 1MB in size with the idea that they could edit to be however they wanted. He's probably just tried to load it unaltered into the card printing program and made it crash.

Oh, they would print that, they'd ask their tech savvy facebook friend to get the image to work, because you gotta help out a swag sister like that, yolo!

Sweevo posted:

They were probably using an off the shelf ID card program - all of which are terrible. It was probably a Windows 3.1 program that's been hacked to run inside a Windows XP compatibility wrapper. It probably supports 24-bit uncompressed bmp files and nothing else, and has small and completely arbitrary image size limits because it was originally designed to run on a computer with 4MB RAM.

To be fair, my BIOS picture utility only accepts BMPs with specific color settings, which isn't documented anywhere. I just figured I'd match the settings that would make a picture look like a typical bios picture, and bam, worked.