Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Ugh. Now it makes sense. I didn't pay attention to the other "Air Force Security" agent at first since he was in the background. It was Keri and the other guy's wife playing the hookers. I just assumed the hookers were extras or assets that'd been paid off. Guess that teaches me not to have one eye on my tablet and the other on the television.

I stand corrected.
Keri was the blonde on top, riding the mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Josh Lyman posted:

Keri was the blonde on top, riding the mark.

"I have eight bosses. *Eight*, Bob. So that means that when I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it."

Thanks, got the memo. :v:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Don't feel bad, they've got some spacetech wigs.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I wonder if Anna Chapman is really a redhead.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
So happy to see Philip has dusted off the wig collection :allears:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My grandparents owned that exact car in the 80s.

You know, the wigs are fine but for some reason the sideburns keep bothering me...

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH
Was she making hot dog sandwiches with cheese slices, :wtf:?

edit: it was rolled up turkey, nm

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Ah yes, the worst plot line from last season rears its ugly head.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I am going to be really sad when Stan and Phil end up as enemies.

Haha, "How about Montreal?" :geno:

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
She's right though. Montreal is the perfect place to have a bachelor party.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I really hate The New Guy at KGB central.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

So far I've seen a Commodore PET and a VT100 terminal.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

jscolon2.0 posted:

She's right though. Montreal is the perfect place to have a bachelor party.

You misspelled Reykjavik.

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
Lol... that 'Stache.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Chess, Sherlock Holmes, and Model cars. The most interesting man in the world.

e: Well, the electric shock box is pretty cool.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Rasta_Al posted:

Lol... that 'Stache.

And the ponytail. This might be the best wig yet.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
Did Nina just have like, zero accent in that scene?

It just completely threw me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
...is she on PCP? How '80s.

e: oh, crack and 'ludes. Even better.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Buran joke! :v:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Zero One posted:

Chess, Sherlock Holmes, and Model cars. The most interesting man in the world.

And most appropriately, John LeCarre novels.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I love LeCarre. No idea how I didn't notice any of his books on the shelf. Could you make out any titles?

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
So at the end when those workmen left, did it look like there was absolutely nothing done on the street? It was such a quick shot and kind of fuzzy, and I couldn't tell if there was a cut in the pavement. It looked like it was totally blank and no work had been done. Which, you know, SUSPICIOUS.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
At least we know a concrete date. Raiders of the Lost Ark came out in early June 1981. I was a month old. :unsmith:

Only reason I looked it up is I couldn't remember when Brezhnev died and I thought they'd made a goof with the Space Shuttle comment.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I guess they'll get to it in season 3 but it'll be interesting to see what they do with the rapid turnover in general secretaries after Brezhnev dies.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

At least we know a concrete date. Raiders of the Lost Ark came out in early June 1981. I was a month old. :unsmith:

Only reason I looked it up is I couldn't remember when Brezhnev died and I thought they'd made a goof with the Space Shuttle comment.

I'm pretty sure the date the episode was set was January 25, 1982 based on the fact that Arkady said it was. ;)

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

hepscat posted:

So at the end when those workmen left, did it look like there was absolutely nothing done on the street? It was such a quick shot and kind of fuzzy, and I couldn't tell if there was a cut in the pavement. It looked like it was totally blank and no work had been done. Which, you know, SUSPICIOUS.

They were fixing a pothole or fixing underground lines/pipe I think.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Where was that Central American agent from? Was it supposed to be about the El Salvador civil war? I don't know my history of the area too well during the cold war.

Construction on the first Buran started in 1980 and the first completed craft rolled out in 1984 so I find it hard to believe that the FBI wouldn't have heard some rumblings about it either from the Russians or from the CIA by then. Unless it was a joke, already knowing the Russians were building their own space shuttle.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Pretty sure she was supposed to be a Sandinista.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

drunkill posted:

Where was that Central American agent from? Was it supposed to be about the El Salvador civil war? I don't know my history of the area too well during the cold war.

She was Nicaraguan.

efb

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That movie played in theaters for a long time. The movie business was rather different back then. I didn't see Raiders for the first time until Dec. '81, and saw it for the fourth time in a theater in the summer of '82.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Dr_Strangelove posted:

That movie played in theaters for a long time. The movie business was rather different back then. I didn't see Raiders for the first time until Dec. '81, and saw it for the fourth time in a theater in the summer of '82.

Yep, I think people forget that before VCR's and video rentals became common place, it was typical for theaters to run popular movies well after their initial release.

Thought this episode was kinda weak, but I have to say I'm glad they're going to cover the whole Sandinista/Contra affair.

Though I wonder how long till we get an idea of who killed the other spy family.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Eh, this episode had to be a bit slow, I think. Can't be nonstop episodes like the premiere and I thought it did a pretty good job of showing the fallout from it. Given what people like Sepinwall have said about the first 5 episodes I think it'll ramp back up really soon.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is it cool to talk about TV numbers here or only in the couch chat? I saw the second week for this show and they didn't look that great, but it went up against Duck Dynasty and stuff. Basically I really want this show to do well because the '80s rule and who doesn't love the idea of KGB Felicity?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
How well is this show being marketed? I only heard about it last year from being a TVIV nerd. I've seen billboards about town for this season, but it's Los Angeles so if it's on a screen somewhere it's gonna be on billboards.

I guess I worry that the show is a bit too high-minded for people. If you don't have a good grasp of history and the Cold War paired with a certain sympathy for the Soviets, I can easily see this show reading as boring dreck. Which sucks.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

Propaganda Machine posted:

If you don't have a good grasp of history and the Cold War paired with a certain sympathy for the Soviets, I can easily see this show reading as boring dreck. Which sucks.

I have neither the former (sadly) and nor the latter (because we had our share of Soviet oppression), but I can enjoy it nevertheless, and I find it tense enough.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

People generally don't like period dramas. I'd like to believe that a good chunk of americans don't have the stomach to watch "Dem Evil Commies" take center stage, its probably more to do with the "That looks like a show set in the eighties - No thank you!" impulse.

Of course, a good chunk of fans go apeshit for any science fiction or fantasy out there, but period dramas have a much rougher go of it.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Downton Abbey's one of the highest rated shows on TV. It's more lack of promotion and somewhat high concept. Also being on basic cable.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
For what (little) it's worth, FX took to Twitter the minute the soft premiere numbers came in and assured people that they plan to have the show on their schedule for the next few years. What I think helps the show's case is that it picked up significant DVR bumps last year, and since FX is a basic cable channel that people subscribe to (well, as part of a package, anyway), it matters less how they watch, so long as they watch. They might not get as much money from the advertisers, but it's one more argument in that channel's favor -- a textbook loss leader.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

DivisionPost posted:

What I think helps the show's case is that it picked up significant DVR bumps last year, and since FX is a basic cable channel that people subscribe to (well, as part of a package, anyway), it matters less how they watch, so long as they watch.

Are DVR and online viewing being tracked, now? The last time I read about TV ratings, which was quite a few years ago, shows were getting hurt by the fact that a lot of their core audience was moving away from regular scheduled TV.

I don't see a lot of advertising in general, but I'm surprised if this is being seen as a period drama. I think I first heard about it from the first season OP here, but what caught my attention were "spies" and "80s nostalgia". "Period drama" just sounds boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I don't have a shred of sympathy for the Soviets, but I love well-written spy stories, am invested in the character drama, and enjoy a hearty chuckle of schadenfreude whenever the Soviets get all hot and bothered about Star Wars and spend themselves even further into oblivion.

• Locked thread