Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Girl With The etc. takes a traditional detective/mystery story and makes the detective a deeply disturbed badass punk hacker chick. It's a license to print money.

Honestly I liked both the original film and the remake. Lisbeth Salander may be kinda Troperesque as a character but both actresses make her feel like a real person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Fantastic Four 2, Machete, Spy Kids 4, Machete Kills, Little Fockers, Good Luck Chuck, The Love Guru.

You know, great vehicles that showcase her growth as an actress.

Good Luck Chuck feels like it came out like 15 years ago and damned if I could remember anything about those shithouse Machete movies.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Was Good Luck Chuck that Dane Cook movie?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Was Good Luck Chuck that Dane Cook movie?

Yes it was the Dane Cook's magic penis movie.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Skeevy Mcgee posted:

As someone who generally enjoys lovely airport fiction, I was completely baffled by the success of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I read the book before the movie came out on DVD and couldn't believe how bad it was. I kept thinking maybe there was going to be some complete mindfuck of an ending that would justify everything the came before, but the ending was even worse than rest of it. And yet I held out hope that maybe Fincher could do something with the material, cut out some of the excess fluff... about fifteen minutes into the movie I realized it was going to follow the book beat for beat so I just flipped on the commentary track and listened to that while looking at the pretty pictures.

Girl W/ isn't amazing or anything, but it is kind of nice to see popular lovely airport fiction that isn't also reactionary garbage.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

muscles like this? posted:

Yes it was the Dane Cook's magic penis movie.
I remember watching that, but yeah, it felt like forever ago. Not that there was much worth remembering in it.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

computer parts posted:

It depends which ones you're talking about. Few people would disagree that Sleeping Beauty is a bore.

Said like somebody who never realized the real main characters are Merryweather and Malificent.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've always been confused by Jessica Alba in the first Sin City movie. They made a big deal about how close they were to the comics but for some reason they got an actress who won't get naked for the stripper character.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Girl W/ isn't amazing or anything, but it is kind of nice to see popular lovely airport fiction that isn't also reactionary garbage.
Guy hated Nazis and could have used some more time to revise and an editer. I enjoy it for what it is.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Casimir Radon posted:

Guy hated Nazis and could have used some more time to revise

Dying has a funny way of cutting your revision time unexpectedly.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Dying has a funny way of cutting your revision time unexpectedly.
If you want the same sort of thing handled oh so much better there's always Wallander, which is the best thing on tv in my opinion.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sobatchja Morda posted:

I don't know what went wrong with your link, but this is the scene as it's meant to be and the music makes it so, so much better.

Also, how the hell are they going to do A Dame To Kill For? Perhaps I remember wrong, but I can't think of a single way to make that story into a sequel since half of it leads perfectly into The Big, Fat Kill. Are they just going to use the title and make an original story? And if so, is it too late for Rodriquez to change his mind since Miller has gone completely batshit these last ten years?

The movie was not in chronological order anyways so it does not really matter.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I've always been confused by Jessica Alba in the first Sin City movie. They made a big deal about how close they were to the comics but for some reason they got an actress who won't get naked for the stripper character.

Also, no giant bolt-ons. I swear that Miller designed Nancy around looking like Pam Anderson. You know, because it's Frank Miller.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

They are already planning Sin City 3, though they've been planning 2 since before 1 came out so who knows when/if 3 will get made.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012
Those Sir Billi images have to be some kind of intentional joke by the designers who hated the movie they were working on or something.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Corek posted:

Yeah but his most recent work in The Newsroom is so terrible. Sorkin probably likes Jobs a lot more than he liked Zuckerberg so this could be a hero-worshipping piece of junk like that show.

The Social Network was good and though it was pre-Newsroom, which is bad, it was post Studio 60, which was also bad. Sorkin is a one-trick pony on television but on film his style doesn't overstay his substance so I'm optimistic.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I think after the movie came out, she claimed that she was totally down to go topless, but Rodriguez didn't let her.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

davidspackage posted:

I think after the movie came out, she claimed that she was totally down to go topless, but Rodriguez didn't let her.

Which of course if true makes Rodriguez history's greatest monster.

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
Rivaling Michael Bay for turning down Scarlett Johannson's nude scene in The Island.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Rodriguez is a true son of a bitch if that's the case.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
On the subject of Ghostbusters and the rights and what not, I heard someone say they were actually into production and filming of the movie before they had secured the rights to the name. The live-action kids show was so little-known that they'd missed it.

According to Wiki, Columbia had a list of alternate titles planned, but I'm not sure what they were.

Going down the rabbit hole, even the Ghostbusters theme song could replace all instances of "Ghostbusters" and "Bustin'" with other words and not really have any major rhyming or rhythm issues from a change. It's possible if the title uncertainty was still an issue when Ray Parker Jr. was writing the song, he might have intentionally crafted the song to be open-ended enough to allow for it to be easily changed to reflect that.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Pretty sure it was Scarlett Johansson that was game, and Alba that wasn't.

But I'm sure the stories have changed half a dozen times on both ends.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Monkeyseesaw posted:

Everything I've read or heard about it makes Jobs sound like a cash-grab.

Ashton Kutcher admittedly does a pretty solid job at portraying Jobs and you can see the effort he put into trying to capture the guy. There was an article written by someone at Gizmodo, who was an extra, where he noted Kutcher's obsession with detail held up shooting as they rushed to create the correct lectern. But it's clear he, the writer and director admires Jobs too much and their approach hits as hard as a whiffle bat.

It's not helped by a poo poo script that appears to be the writer's first writing credit.

The main plot is straight out idolatry. The whole film starts off with Jobs presenting the iPod as we flashback to seeing as Jobs goes from a college stoner touring India, creates Apple, and releases the Macintosh. Then discovers humility via getting fired (NEXT is barely mentioned) and then returns, with no fuss, to the fray having found peace in the backyard veggie garden with his kids and wife. It's pretty much a rewritten wikipedia article.

Virtually nothing bad happens to Jobs that he won't recover from in the next scene. And this is a person with realms of stories that make him eccentric and terrifying at the same time. At the worst he tells someone to "get out" when he disses typefaces.
The development of the Macintosh is pretty much skimmed over with Jobs being a hard task master forcing engineers to work days straight.

On top of that there's utterly no dynamics going on. Bill Gates and Windows get a passing mention, with Jobs yelling at him on the phone. A revolving door of forgettable CEOs and developers float around Jobs that you struggle to keep track of who's who or why should you care.
The film is so soft on him that it barely looks into his complex relationship with his estranged daughter that's loaded with drama, such as his persistent denials he couldn't have fathered her - he tried to claim he was infertile.

Then you have the undertones of "only Jobs truly appreciates design" in which everyone around him is sort of written as being behind the curve with tech as Jobs is positioned as a visionary, complete with moments of clunky foreshadowing as Jobs casually tosses a Discman into the bin out of frustration.

Even Woz is treated as someone who is utterly terrified of showing the Apple to the Homebrew PC club and has to be dragged along by Jobs. Bizarrely he doesn't have a plane crash and is setup to ply at Jobs' heartstrings by appearing in his office to say "the magic is gone, I'm out" in which Jobs goes back to the garage where it all started to have a cry and realizes he can't actually put things together without a group of impassioned geeks working for free.

Then when Jobs rises from the dead and returns to Apple, he finds Jony Ive in some backroom, who in a chirpy English accent, gushes about Steve making pretty things and instantly wins Jobs over with concepts of the new iMac.

And it ends with Jobs reciting "Here's to the crazy ones" as there are flashbacks to people who developed the Macintosh, presenting them as sort of revolutionaries in a half hearted attempt to go "oh yeah it's not all about Steve." Who by this point seems blissfully unaware of the smoking bridges behind him.

You're better off watching Pirates of Silicon Valley, for a TV movie it's bloody good.

Plus watch this fascinating panel of Woz and some former Mac developers as they pick apart Jobs scene by scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gICwMQQ48Dk

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

JediTalentAgent posted:

On the subject of Ghostbusters and the rights and what not, I heard someone say they were actually into production and filming of the movie before they had secured the rights to the name. The live-action kids show was so little-known that they'd missed it.

According to Wiki, Columbia had a list of alternate titles planned, but I'm not sure what they were.

Going down the rabbit hole, even the Ghostbusters theme song could replace all instances of "Ghostbusters" and "Bustin'" with other words and not really have any major rhyming or rhythm issues from a change. It's possible if the title uncertainty was still an issue when Ray Parker Jr. was writing the song, he might have intentionally crafted the song to be open-ended enough to allow for it to be easily changed to reflect that.

I seem to recall that in an interview Ray Parker Jr. Admitted that he wrote the theme at the last minute.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Iron Crowned posted:

I seem to recall that in an interview Ray Parker Jr. Admitted that he wrote the theme at the last minute.

Pretty sure Huey Lewis wrote it. :getin:

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
I watched Ghostbusters 2 last night, because it was on TV.

We all need to stop wishing for a third one.

Did Insidious 2 do well, because that movie has a ghostbusters clone ready made for a pitch.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, it did better than the first on a pretty small budget.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, it did better than the first on a pretty small budget.

It's kind of crazy he was able to put out both movies for around 6.5M.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I love that Insidious 1 literally looks like a million bucks. They get a lot of mileage out of filming pretty much in two houses.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

So, I'm watching Sir Billi right now, and it's actually the most depressing movie I've seen in a long time. Sean Connery sounds old as gently caress in this movie, and the whole thing is pretty much one big reminder that he's probably going to die soon. :smith:

(as for the plot, I'm only about 10 minutes in, but it's pretty standard cliche Disney fare except with ugly animation and unfunny jokes. Also, the whole plot revolves around beavers, delighting my inner 5th-grade sense of humour. Multiple references are made to Illegal Beavers.)

EDIT: What's bizarre is that it's really just the character animation that sucks. The scenery and vehicles and basically everything that isn't a character is pretty well animated, and if the characters looked as good as everything else, then Sir Billi would easily be a better looking movie than, say, Hoodwinked. But for whatever reason, the characters are all just amazing ugly. I'd describe the overall effect as looking like somebody took N64 characters and plopped them down in a PS3 game.

DStecks fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 28, 2014

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

morestuff posted:

It's kind of crazy he was able to put out both movies for around 6.5M.

Total or each? Either way, that's pretty impressive. The first one before they enter the dreamworld at least is my favorite horror film of the last 10 years. Is the second one worth picking up? I've heard some mixed reviews

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The Door Frame posted:

Total or each? Either way, that's pretty impressive. The first one before they enter the dreamworld at least is my favorite horror film of the last 10 years. Is the second one worth picking up? I've heard some mixed reviews

Total, at least according to Box Office Mojo. The first one for 1.5M, the second for 5M. The usual caveats apply when using those numbers, but it's still really impressive.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Are the Insidious movies worth watching if you don't generally like horror movies?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

Are the Insidious movies worth watching if you don't generally like horror movies?

What turns you off about horror? They're fun haunted-house movies, without much gore or violence.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

morestuff posted:

What turns you off about horror? They're fun haunted-house movies, without much gore or violence.

I don't mind gore and violence, but when a movie focuses on that over character or plot I tend to get bored. Also, some people seem to really enjoy the experience of waiting to be startled (see: Paranormal Activity), which doesn't do much for me.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Sir Kodiak posted:

I don't mind gore and violence, but when a movie focuses on that over character or plot I tend to get bored. Also, some people seem to really enjoy the experience of waiting to be startled (see: Paranormal Activity), which doesn't do much for me.

The Insidious movies are not gory. They have jump scares that can startle, but it doesn't use them as often as the PA series. There are certainly no long waits in this series.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
The first one has an amazing atmosphere and is genuinely unsettling without relying on cheap scares or falling too far into horror tropes. I'd recommend it

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

More to your question, Patrick Wilson and Rose Byrne are solid in the lead roles and the plot doesn't get lost up its own rear end like some other Wan movies.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Just finished Sir Billi. What a weird and terrible movie.

Pretty much the whole thing is one giant action sequence, with zero character development of any kind. And that might sound interesting, but really, the movie is plotted like an overlong episode of some el cheapo BBC cartoon that doesn't happen to exist. It's tedious and padded out, even at just 70 minutes. And it's built entirely out of cliches, to the extent that I won't even try to list them all because literally every character and every scene is an animated movie cliche. It even ends with a Dance Party Finale. I don't think I've ever seen a more creatively bankrupt film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Tars Tarkas posted:

A Minecraft movie is now coming from Warner Brothers. I already know my nephew will go see it. I'm holding out for Dwarf Fortress: The Movie

http://www.deadline.com/2014/02/minecraft-movie-warner-bros-lego-movie-producer/

A DF movie would be kinda interesting since the game itself tends to play out like a fantasy adventure movie that got hijacked by the Coen brothers ten minutes in.

• Locked thread