Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

madjackmcmad posted:

That's huge, man does it ever feel good to get automated stuff working. UI too, I hate working on it, but it's nice when all the pieces fit and you have something reusable. Congratulations.

Yeah, UI is the worst! Good thing it's only 92% of making games!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Unormal posted:

Yeah, UI is the worst! Good thing it's only 92% of making games!

Yeah but once you get past that the other 92% is easy! :rimshot:

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

madjackmcmad posted:

Yeah but once you get past that the other 92% is easy! :rimshot:

:hfive:

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Polish, polish, polish...

and fun stuff...

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Game is good. Is no one else in the beta at all?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Unormal posted:

and fun stuff...

Lookin' good. Keep on truckin'.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Paper With Lines posted:

:toot: Is there a changes .txt?

http://www.unrealworld.fi/318-changelog.txt

It's quite long, though.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
One Way Heroics is out on steam, for anyone who hadn't heard of it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Nephilm posted:

I do not seem to have a key in the Indie Royale bundle I got it in yet though.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Nephilm posted:

Thanks. You can also redeem your copy from PLAYISM onto Steam - sign in, hit "My Account", and there will be a serial code that Steam will take.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Nephilm posted:

Thanks, grabbed it just now. Usually I'm not big on games with Anime art style, but the core concept seems pretty interesting.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Unormal posted:

[timg][/timg]

and fun stuff...
[timg][/timg]

Are we allowed to talk about the beta? Also I can't wait for it to be doable on Android, tired of doing it online. (though it works well enough on my Surface)

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

New Cataclysm DDA stable version is released:

http://en.cataclysmdda.com/

quote:

Highlights:
Module manager.
Fullscreen mode.
Many mutations, more refined mutation progression.
Improved view options for driving.
Improved item handling, including category views, partial stack handling.
Mouse move and mouselook.
Fishing.
Working Refrigerators.

Ryoji
Sep 1, 2012
This game with the rather uninspired name looks intruiging:
Crawl
http://indiegames.com/2014/03/crawl_its_you_against_your_fri.html#more

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Ryoji posted:

This game with the rather uninspired name looks intruiging:
Crawl
http://indiegames.com/2014/03/crawl_its_you_against_your_fri.html#more

Wait...they're making a roguelike named Crawl? But the name's already taken!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Crawl 2: Crawl Harder

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Wait...they're making a roguelike named Crawl? But the name's already taken!

I'm proud to announce my new roguelike A Dungeon of Majesty, spiritual sequel to the cyberpunk roguelike 'Net Hacking.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
pop your +2 collar of unbreathing and score with some kobold skanks in the new roguelike brogue

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Become grossly incandescent and engage in jolly cooperation in Sunbrogue, or be absolutely useless in every fight in Onionbrogue.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There was this roguelike RPG that was kind of obscure and I remember it had lots of hand drawn elemnts and I remember something in the preview images having a guy in a gas mask. It wasn't free, does anyone know the game I speak of?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Neo scavenger? Its on steam if you wanna check it out.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The animation in Crawl (not Linley's Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup) really reminds me of the animation in Advance Guardian Heroes. Not sure how I feel about the multiplayer stuff. It's interesting at least.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Anyone have any opinions on Our Darker Purpose? It looked like a reskinned Binding of Isaac but I thought it looked interesting for the abilities you could buy in between runs and the different aesthetic.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

voltron lion force posted:

Neo scavenger? Its on steam if you wanna check it out.

That was it, thanks.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Potsticker posted:

The animation in Crawl (not Linley's Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup) really reminds me of the animation in Advance Guardian Heroes. Not sure how I feel about the multiplayer stuff. It's interesting at least.

The game looks cool visually but I have no interest in it whatsoever until they implement online multiplayer.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The game looks cool visually but I have no interest in it whatsoever until they implement online multiplayer.

Oh, it's not online? I know I had a fun time playing Hammerfell in a local multiplayer game recently, but that's a really rare sort of occurance.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Potsticker posted:

Oh, it's not online? I know I had a fun time playing Hammerfell in a local multiplayer game recently, but that's a really rare sort of occurance.

It's local-only (and multiplayer is the whole point of the game as I understand it) but IIRC whether they'll do online depends on how well it sells and... well, I just don't think it's going anywhere without it, so it's a bit of a catch-22.

e: Actually it might be more of a case of "can the two guys coding it figure out how to implement online multiplayer in a timely fashion" so maybe things aren't so grim after all.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 5, 2014

applebane
Jun 5, 2011

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Anyone have any opinions on Our Darker Purpose? It looked like a reskinned Binding of Isaac but I thought it looked interesting for the abilities you could buy in between runs and the different aesthetic.

I know a lot of people did not like it, but i think that was because they were expecting it to play like binding of issac and it really does not.

It shares a lot with BOI but tends to be slower paced, your character is really slow when you just walk around you have to continuously use the roll skill to have any hope of dodging enemies or their projectiles; its also pretty dark in each room with a sort of spotlight focused on the character and you can't see the entire room all at once.

It also begs for controller support, I really could not play it till i used joytokey to be able to use a 360 controller for the game, it makes it MUCH more playable.

I backed the game on kickstarter and run it thru steam and I enjoy it( once i got a controller to work), check out some youtube videos to get a feel for it, i have been watching this guy stream it and hes not too bad (to listen to).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ouj_t0Y-CN4

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010
Has anyone tried coin crypt? It looks decently fun.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

How badly frowned is it to post about one's own creations here, especially if it's a roguelike-like-likeish thing?

I've been really hooked to Stone Soup as of late, earning my first rune a couple days ago (and dying somewhat shortly afterwards, of course). To be honest, after many many years of enjoying Spelunky, Binding of Isaac and other not-quite-roguelikes Crawl has been the first "actual" roguelike I've genuinely enjoyed and felt thrilled to play; the gameplay is mostly simple enough to be enjoyed quickly and most runs seem to have phases where one can feel pretty overpowered, which is sweet since the next moment you'll be fine paste all over the surrounding walls.

Has anyone heard about Dungeon Dashers? It looks pretty cool (still in development but I think they've been Greenlit): http://dungeondashers.com/

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Hempuli posted:

How badly frowned is it to post about one's own creations here, especially if it's a roguelike-like-likeish thing?

Developer posts are great, and the thread's focus has decayed so much that it's basically "the hard game that maybe has RPG elements or something?" thread anyways. Go nuts.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Well then!

I've been working on a kind of a long-term mini-project remaking an older game of mine; the original was made for a 48-hour game development competition in 2009 and was very crude in terms of both graphics and gameplay.

The remake is called CWOUN and it's basically a heavily Spelunky-inspired arcade-roguelike-like mish-mash where the player controls a lonesome digger who explores a large cave in search for riches. The game has only one, large level with the layout randomly generated but the basic goals and enemies staying the same. The ultimate goal of the game is to retrieve The Golden Crown from the depths of the cave system, although being an arcade-ish game in nature gathering a highscore is also very much a thing; there're even online highscore boards!

The game has been in development for about half a year, and I'm still working on it. I'm planning to patch in some things and tweaking certain parts - for example, the game's way way too difficult at the moment, having some pretty annoying enemies and no proper tutorial. Any and all suggestions are obviously more than welcome!

A screenshot or two:

If this tickled anyone's interest, here's the "official" download page: http://www.hempuli.com/blogblog/archives/971
(I've checked the file with Virustotal, it should be 100% clean!)

=====================================
I hope that didn't sound too self-absorbed or advertising. I can remove the text if needed.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Developer posts are great, and the thread's focus has decayed so much that it's basically "the hard game that maybe has RPG elements or something?" thread anyways. Go nuts.

When somebody argued that dark souls was a roguelike a year or so ago I pretty much just gave up.

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!

andrew smash posted:

When somebody argued that dark souls was a roguelike a year or so ago I pretty much just gave up.

I'd play the heck out of a dark souls roguelike.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

drink_bleach posted:

I'd play the heck out of a dark souls roguelike.

Good because one exists. Rogue's Souls or something.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

andrew smash posted:

Permadeath and randomized locations would be killer for Dark Souls.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Potsticker posted:

Permadeath and randomized locations would be killer for Dark Souls.

Yeah. I think my ultimate game is a procedural permadeath game with Dark Souls/Devil May Cry/whatever-style gameplay (granted, those two games hit almost opposite ends of the style-chart of that control scheme). I can totally understand why it hasn't happened yet, since it really does seem just ridiculously difficult, but I figure it's only a matter of time.

It wouldn't have any of the amazing level-design or whatever of Dark Souls, but I'm really hoping that procedural level generation'll be getting better and better as we go on, too.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Procedurally generated 3D terrain is incredibly hard to make interesting and varied. Traditional roguelikes have it easier because they're simple and abstract, and small changes make a big impact -- a one-tile wide hallway is a vastly different tactical challenge than a two-tile wide hallway, for example. In a 3D space that distinction is much blurrier and it's really easy for everything to end up feeling the same.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Rogue's Souls isn't anything like Dark Souls. I'd kill for one but I think to make the combat as complex as the Souls games is gonna require 3D movement and positioning which means generating 3D worlds.

I'd kill for any game to have combat like Souls but even games that say they are imitating it always miss its deliberate nature and go for DMC combos and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

andrew smash posted:

the way i feel about all the, air-quotes, "roguelike-likes," that are basically just platformers and fpses or whatever that have fuckall to do with any gameplay elements from rogue, is what General Jack D. Ripper had to say about communists if you replace the words "precious bodily fluids" with "cred" in that water fluoridation scene from dr. strangelove

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1KvgtEnABY