Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Only 3 months late into the year because I wanted to make pretty pictures for the OP (but can't make pretty pictures worth a poo poo). Those'll come later.

Let's just hit the big two right here:

Idle Thumbs
One of the few podcasts that learns towards PC gaming, Idle Thumbs doesn’t follow any particular podcasting format, mainly covering the games they are playing and gaming news. Kickstarter brought them back in force, and they now comprise a "cabal" of shows, including the original Thumbs (weekly), Three Moves Ahead (also weekly, see below) and plenty of other 'casts. Easily the show I would strongest recommend if you want anything beyond discussion of the prior week's gaming news.
Host: Chris Remo
Cast: Rotates, but commonly includes 2+ of the following men: Jake Rodkin, Sean Vanaman, Nick Breckon, Steve Gaynor
Links: Site iTunes RSS Twitter

Giant Bombcast
The Giant Bomb crew discuss what they are playing, preview impressions of upcoming titles, gaming news, and wild tangents. Currently as batshit as ever despite a new office and nicer equipment. For the most part you may as well take Bombcast chat into the Giant Bomb thread in Rapidly Going Deaf. (Yes, it is intentional that this thread is in Games and that one is in Rapidly Going Deaf. Mods moved them both.)
Host: Ryan Davis Jeff Gerstmann
Cast: Vinny Caravella, Brad Shoemaker, Drew Scanlon

General Gaming Podcasts
Your general focus on news and The Stuff That Happened In The Industry shows.

Video Games Hot Dog
Humorous podcast from the creators of Kingdom of Loathing. Includes some discussion of board games, puzzles and IF (interactive fiction/text adventures). The Monkees to Idle Thumbs' Beatles.
Host: Zack Johnson
Guests: Kevin and Riff

:norway: RadCrew Show Note: This podcast is NOT in English.
Grab some Lutefisk, and relax on your nearest fjord as fellow goon Cellophane S brings you all the gaming news you need with a Scandinavian twist.
Cast: Cellophane S and I’m guessing a bunch of Norwegian dudes.
Links: Site RSS

Gamers With Jobs Conference Call
Discussion of current games, news, boardgames, etc. Your bog-standard gaming podcast, hopefully you like the people in question. Done via Skype, so that's weird for some folks.
Host: Shawn Andrich
Cast: Sean Sands, Julian Murdoch, Cory Banks, Robert Borges
Links: Site iTunes RSS

The Level
A general video game show, covering current games, news, and general discussion topics with audience participation. Hosted by forums user Song for the Deaf.
Hosts: Kole Ross, Ben Merkel, Dennis Furia, and David Moneysmith

On The Stick
It's another 4 guys talking about games podcast, but they cover a lot of games other shows don't. Only knocks against it are that it doesn't seem to have a set schedule, and episodes can be talking about games and events from a month or longer ago.

One Life Left
UK show. It's run by an independent radio station in London (Resonance FM) and is run like a radio show, not a podcast. It's hard to pin down exactly what that means, but there's a different feel. They have sweet commissioned chip tunes interspersed throughout, if you're into that sort of thing, and run radio style news sections and interviews.
Hosts: Ste Curran, Simon Byron, Ann Scantlebury

Vidjagame Apocalypse
A comedy show about video games. Every episode begins with a "top 5" list of some absurd variety, and then spins off into discussion of recent news or whatever comes to mind from the cast.

No Quarters
Four men, video game news. Biweekly. I admit I haven't had time to listen to this one yet, but it was suggested by others and nothing in the small bit I sampled suggests it's assy.
Cast: These four
Links: Site RSS (Syrg's note: Please assist me in writing a non-lovely description of this, or I'll get to it when I've dug into an episode or two.)

Gamespot Gameplay
Lighthearted podcast about games and the people who play, make, and talk about them, with a series of guests from episode to episode as the show focuses on god-knows-what each time out. I have listened to random episodes of this and it has been quite good actually. Gamespot seems to make finding/listening to this as hard as possible, as I could not find a hub site for the drat thing, and in fact as far as I can tell, they want you to watch it as videos off their site now instead of download these. I found no link or hub site for it. (I still stand by it being good, despite that pain in the rear end.)
Host: Kevin VanOrd
Links: iTunes RSS

Themed Podcasts
These podcasts focus on a specific topic, system, genre, and/or do not follow the traditional format.

Retronauts
The latest incarnation of the only podcast to outlast 1UP's collapse, Retronauts focuses on... well, classic games. If none of the hosts know enough about a topic from experience, you'd better believe they'll research it or find someone who CAN speak to the subject. I absolutely adore this and I'm going to stop gushing now. Give it a try if you never have and enjoy looking down memory lane/learning about something that might have slipped past you years back.
Hosts: Jeremy Parish, Bob Mackey, Ray Barnholt

Three Moves Ahead
This show is about all manners of strategy games across all platforms. It's quite well-spoken, comes in at a good length per week, and is now a member of the Idle Thumbs network? cabal. Tends to have rotating guests with some frequency, and episodes can cover broad topics or game-specific discussion from week to week.
Host: Rob Zacny
Cast: Tom Chick, Bruce Geryk, Julian Murdoch, Troy Goodfellow

DotA Today
A Lords-Management podcast which is neither locked to DotA, nor as regular as its name suggests. It's basically the "The Daily Show" of podcasts like that.
Hosts: Sean Vanaman, Brad Muir

Tone Control
Ex-Thumb Steve Gaynor's bimonthly interview podcast. Only a few months old and already boasts an impressive pedigree of participants (Clint friggin' Hocking was episode 4! C'mon!), with the two chatting for a bit on a variety of topics. Always impressive, give this a shot if you enjoy just hearing cool stories.
Host: Steve Gaynor

Chrontendo/Chronturbo/Chronsega
Video podcast updating sporadically, focusing on one man ("Dr. Sparkle") playing every game from the 8-bit era (on the Famicom/NES, Turbo-Grafx, and Sega Master System, specifically) in release order. It's quite well-produced and researched and worth giving a try.
Host: Dr. Sparkle

Watch Out For Fireballs!
Biweekly. Sort of like a video game book club: they announce the next podcast's topic, give you two weeks to play the game and give some input, and discuss their own experiences/quote some of the reader feedback for discussion. The hosts have been seen posting in these threads and solicit content from here too, so that's cool.
Hosts: Gary Butterfield and Kole Ross

Bonfireside Chat
A sister podcast to the above Watch Out For Fireballs, focused on the Souls games, and now their predecessors, the King's Field games. Almost a book-club style show where they'll cover a stage or two each episode and hope to get listeners playing along/discussing it for themselves.
Hosts: Gary Butterfield and Kole Ross

Roguelike Radio
A podcast about roguelikes. The regular attendees are pretty much all roguelike developers, but try to involve members of the wider roguelike community if talking about a specific game. Have also interviewed some of the bigger names in roguelikes (such as Glen Wichmann) and roguelike-likes (such as Edmund McMillen and Derek Yu).
Host: Ryan Boyd.

8-4 Play
Biweekly. 8-4 is a localization company bringing games from Japan to Western Markets. They also do a podcast covering games, and Japan.
Cast: Mark MacDonald, John Ricciardi, Hiroko Minamoto

The Crate & Crowbar
A PC-centric podcast which I will give a shot based on my choice of platform + the man behind Gunpoint being on it. This description needs work too!
Cast: Tom Francis, Graham Smith, Marsh Davies, Tom Senior, Chris Thursten

Tangentially Related

Laser Time/VGMpire
From the network that brought you Vidjagame Apocalypse, two other excellent shows. The former isn't entirely a games podcast (it's more comedy based with each episode having a theme), but the latter focuses on video game music. Mentioned because if I don't put these here, I'd look like a hypocrite for adding...

No More Whoppers
Features Ray Barnholt and Alex Fraioli. Not solidly gaming-related, more of a comedy show from two friends (think a My Brother, My Brother and Me-type show). Since Ray is an ex-1UP writer and still one of the three Retronauts hosts (where they occasionally promo this for him) it is totally staying in the OP.

Retsutalk
A podcast about whatever the hell they come up with from episode to episode run by forum users Slowbeef and Diabetus, who regularly pull in other SA Let's Players/internet folks as guests to discuss their content and to have general video game discussions. Topics have included chatting with other SA/Let's Play folks, random games one or the other are exceedingly fond of, or Breaking Bad.

Shows Worth Discussing? Maybe?
The stuff people brought up in the twilight of the last thread hoping others would give it a shot. I haven't heard any of these yet, so if some suck or are astounding, do tell!

• Super Best Friendcast - Seems to be a "some pals goof around, chat" kinda thing
  • Experience Points - "A serious, but not humorless, conversation about video games", from their site
  • IGN has a buttload of podcasts - Some of these don't seem very gamey. But some decidedly are!
  • Cheap rear end Gamer CAGCast - Some folks still enjoy this, whereas I didn't dig it/am irritated by their lack of a convenient hub for me to link to in my anal retentive quest to CLEAN THE OP.
  • GameLife - I have to admit, I can't hate anything with Chris Kohler involved.
  • Directional - Just began, by the crew of another podcast on the (cursed) 5by5 network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Quick correction for the OP, I believe you meant Lord Chris Remo for the host of Idle Thumbs.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Should have waited until the Ides of March for the new thread. Or would that have been too much favoritism? It doesn't matter, everybody likes Idle Thumbs!

This is all a cunning ploy to lure out the Brutus among us.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Gave Super Best Friendcast a try and also watched a bit of their new Pokémon LeafGreen thing on YouTube. Their enthusiasm is quite contagious :3:

Also: Woop, ground floor of the new thread

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
Our long national nightmare of the fiscal Year of Luigi is nigh. Here's to another in the form of The Year of, uh, Sonic? :cripes:

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Jabronie posted:

Our long national nightmare of the fiscal Year of Luigi is nigh. Here's to another in the form of The Year of, uh, Sonic? :cripes:

Not on my watch.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Where's the year of Bubsy?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Freaksaus posted:

In the deepest depths of Niflheim, where it belongs.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

quote:

Gamespot Gameplay
Gamespot seems to make finding/listening to this as hard as possible, as I could not find a hub site for the drat thing, and in fact as far as I can tell, they want you to watch it as videos off their site now instead of download these. I found no link or hub site for it. (I still stand by it being good, despite that pain in the rear end.)

This is so true. I have it in my rss feed for my phone, and don't ask me how I found it the last time, I couldn't point you in the right direction on their site. Too bad, it's a good show.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

quote:

DotA Today
Hosts: Sean Vanaman, Brad Muir

Poor Nick

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
I don't listen to it regularly, but Giant Bomb's biweekly morning show definitely deserves a spot in the OP: http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/bombin-the-a-m-with-scoops-and-the-wolf/

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
I'll throw my hat in for the Super Best Friendscast too. I've been listening to it for a while, but it recently found its way into being in my main lineup of shows(I have basically a schedule of things I listen to nightly at work) instead of being an interloper that only rated a listen when there wasn't something more compelling. The guys are definitely super enthusiastic and it's nice to hear people be genuinely excited about their favorite hobby. The show does come with an anime trigger warning, as they bring it up pretty frequently, but they introduced me to Attack on Titan so that's a win in my book. :3:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Beard Yawn posted:

The guys are definitely super enthusiastic and it's nice to hear people be genuinely excited about their favorite hobby.

Dude, after listening to these guys for so long, it's impossible to descibe video games as anything other than their LIFE. it seeps in their veins so hard.

I too fully support the super best friends, I used to feel indifferent about their machinima stuff, but it's their lets plays, their Fighterpedias, Scrublords, Skullgirls fanaticism, and most importantly their podcast that made them my favorite show to the point that I've stopped listening to the bombcast in favor of them. they are an excellent mix of funny, super passionate and actually INFORMED opinions that make sense and counter each other really well.

YOU CANT STOP THIS MOVEMENT, OP.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Al-Saqr posted:

YOU CANT STOP THIS MOVEMENT, OP.

I uh. I didn't plan to? I just said I hadn't listened to it and I couldn't make a blurb for it. If someone else wants to fill in the blanks, I will 100% paste that in and bump it up.

cbirdsong posted:

I don't listen to it regularly, but Giant Bomb's biweekly morning show definitely deserves a spot in the OP: http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/bombin-the-a-m-with-scoops-and-the-wolf/

I left that out just because GB has its own thread and I figured their sub-shows went under that too.

Freaksaus posted:

In my heart. I would be a hell of a lot more excited for a year of Bubsy revivals than anything Luigi/Sonic related.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Thanks for pointing out Three Moves Ahead, gonna check it out.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

If you're looking for a chill podcast about games music RPGFan's Rhythm Encounter is pretty good. They tend to focus on music from JRPGs, but also throw some Western RPG tunes in there. It's basically the classic roundtable format where they pick a song, it gets played in its entirety then they discuss it. Depending on my mood I sometimes just skip the talking entirely and move from song to song.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Nice new thread. I just finished the latest thumbs and I'm glad they are giving titanfall a chance.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Lord Remo's description of Calculords made me want to play it so bad. When he was wondering who the target audience for it was all I could think was "Me! It's me who is the target audience!"

Too bad it's not out on Android :(

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I'm loving Idle Thumbs' current DayZ setup. If you listened to the latest episode you'll know what it is about.

http://www.twitch.tv/idlethumbs

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 1, 2014

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Thankyou for capturing this majesty.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

New Episode of Check it Out, Comrade! covering Risk of Rain and Horsemaster. Some more really good ranting against the "not a game" types from Gary in this one.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
So I guess that Besties "We'll put an episode out before the end of February" thing is kinda shot, which was a shame, because the January episode was pretty good. It might be too early to count them out, but I'm pessimistic.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Ulta posted:

So I guess that Besties "We'll put an episode out before the end of February" thing is kinda shot, which was a shame, because the January episode was pretty good. It might be too early to count them out, but I'm pessimistic.

I don't know why they have to stick to a dumb format. Just record yourselves talk about games jeez.

Anyways I believe Jake video games Rodkin is the host of idle thumbs.

ITS!

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

New episode of Retronauts about the Parappa the Rapper series -- I've wanted to do this topic for a while!

http://www.retronauts.com/?p=633

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I don't know what I'm going to do when Retronauts finishes out it's 52 podcasts, you guys keep hitting them out of the park.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Phone posted:

I don't know what I'm going to do when Retronauts finishes out it's 52 podcasts, you guys keep hitting them out of the park.

When we release the 52nd episode, the world will be bathed in rivers of lava as Yoshi's Island finally hits the WiiU's Virtual Console.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
Just tuned in to the new episode, and gawd dayum this is quite a treat! For the last few months, I have been catching up on the Retronauts archives on 1UP, and on the site. By the time I'm (almost) caught up, they cover my favourite video game series of all time, and I couldn't be happier. Great job guys!

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Really dug the Parappa/Lammy episode as well, Bob jogged my memory a bit mentioning that Roxy show for Lammy's launch too.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Thwack! posted:

Just tuned in to the new episode, and gawd dayum this is quite a treat! For the last few months, I have been catching up on the Retronauts archives on 1UP, and on the site. By the time I'm (almost) caught up, they cover my favourite video game series of all time, and I couldn't be happier. Great job guys!

I appreciate the praise, but your avatar reminds me of how AWFUL I am at stage 6, even all of these years later. Though it's great to know other Lammy fanatics exist!

cronox2 posted:

Really dug the Parappa/Lammy episode as well, Bob jogged my memory a bit mentioning that Roxy show for Lammy's launch too.

Did you attend or watch a lousy, late-90s stream? One of our Twitter followers tweeted a few pics of the event, including a picture he got with the voice of Lammy. Weirdly enough, I Googled her, and she's been a regular character on Grey's Anatomy since the beginning. I'd really like to know what happened to the other performers.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Nah I wasn't there, I think I was chatting on IRC at the time while listening to a constantly buffering audio only version on the measly 56k connection I had back then.

My problem stage in Lammy is and always was the tree chopping one, mainly because I could never get the rhythm of the second to last line and it would always make it so passing or failing the song would count on the final one. Yoko's stage was one I could never get the feel to either but I think it wasn't as demanding, making it easy to stay in at the good level.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

bobservo posted:

I appreciate the praise, but your avatar reminds me of how AWFUL I am at stage 6, even all of these years later. Though it's great to know other Lammy fanatics exist!

Hahaha, yeah... Vital Idol is Hell both literally (in Japan/Europe) and figuratively, and I will constantly remind myself of my struggle of mastering that stage every time I post in the forums. I hate you forever Teriyaki Yoko.

But anyways, something I have noticed with the Parappa games; particularly the first game, is how they might have been partly inspired by De La Soul. I can't really describe it, but realizing that De La Soul made a song about Parappa the Rapper as some sort of a promotion for Parappa 2, I can probably assume some of the first game's themes were inspired by the rap group. But I could just be talking out of my rear end.

Thwack! fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 4, 2014

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Thwack! posted:

Hahaha, yeah... Vital Idol is Hell both literally (in Japan/Europe) and figuratively, and I will constantly remind myself of my struggle of mastering that stage every time I post in the forums. I hate you forever Teriyaki Yoko.

But anyways, something I have noticed with the Parappa games; particularly the first game, is how they might have been partly inspired by De La Soul. I can't really describe it, but realizing that De La Soul made a song about Parappa the Rapper as some sort of a promotion for Parappa 2, I can probably assume some of the first game's themes were inspired by the rap group. But I could just be talking out of my rear end.

The driving test stage is Turtles Have Short Legs by Can.

I can see the De La Soul comparison working thematically though, 3 Feet High was full of playful youth and optimism, and the album cover even looks sort of similar to Parappa's sort of art style.

moller fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Mar 4, 2014

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

moller posted:

The driving test stage is Turtles Have Short Legs by Can.
There was a 1Up article about that kind of thing - "real" songs in games - that I learned that from. I'd credit the writer, but I don't remember. When I first heard that Can song (in that article), it blew my goddamn mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxGaC4wzt50

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.
Coincidentally, it was written by one of the hosts of Retronauts.

http://www.1up.com/features/game-music-sounds-familiar

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

If a video game journalist mentions Can, I assume it's Jeremy.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

Woffle posted:

If a video game journalist mentions Can, I assume it's Jeremy.

Dr. Sparkle uses Can music in every episode of Chrontendo! I think he has the greatest claim there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Dr. Spitesworth posted:

Dr. Sparkle uses Can music in every episode of Chrontendo! I think he has the greatest claim there.

drat, that is a Can song. You're right.

• Locked thread