Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fariz
Nov 10, 2009

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.
I hope not!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Is Malcolm Jamal Warner slated for any guest appearances? I can't see them not doing an episode addressing Shirley's family troubles. Could even be next week, judging from the episode title.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

fariz posted:

I hope not!

What?!

Shirley's one of the best characters on the show!

And I need a 'He is Risen' bakery apron.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

hcreight posted:

Is Malcolm Jamal Warner slated for any guest appearances? I can't see them not doing an episode addressing Shirley's family troubles. Could even be next week, judging from the episode title.

He's not, unless they're keeping it secret for some weird reason. His name hasn't popped up in any of the (numerous) reports of guest casting.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Steve Vader posted:

They actually had Shirley comment on her lack of focus. I would guess that means she's got something coming up.

I hope so! Yvette Nicole Brown is probably the most underused member of the cast. That said, I do get what Harmon meant when he commented about being uncomfortable writing for her because she and Shirley are so far removed from him in terms of experience.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

Qu Appelle posted:

What?!

Shirley's one of the best characters on the show!

And I need a 'He is Risen' bakery apron.

She was, but that was back in season 1. Then they forgot how to write for her character or something.

Republican Vampire posted:

I hope so! Yvette Nicole Brown is probably the most underused member of the cast. That said, I do get what Harmon meant when he commented about being uncomfortable writing for her because she and Shirley are so far removed from him in terms of experience.

Judging from the promo pictures, she'll have more to do next week. As for why she always gets short changed in terms of stories and character development, I'd assume the writers being 90 % white dudes has something to do with it.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Sakarja posted:

She was, but that was back in season 1. Then they forgot how to write for her character or something.

Didn't they have quite a few more female writers during season 1?

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

They should put her on the Talking Dead's panel for the rest of it's days because she was one of their best guests ever

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

She is, and maybe he should, like, hire someone who isn't uncomfortable writing for her or something.

thexerox123 posted:

Yeah, I think so. At any rate, the writing for the female characters was way better in season 1 than it's ever been since.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

IIRC a Sony exec insisted that they aim for gender parity in the writers' room in season 1, but she's since left.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

IIRC a Sony exec insisted that they aim for gender parity in the writers' room in season 1, but she's since left.

Yeah, this is what happened. From what I gathered from his own statements, Harmon said that while it was difficult to do due to the lower number of female writers, it was enormously valuable for the team, and I think he at least tried to do it again with Season 2. The high rate of writer turnover for the show eventually forced them to stop being quite so picky, however.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

"I'll make your rear end sense" is reason enough to write more for Shirley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QakZR4ioqM

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 1, 2014

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

Maybe I've been reading the political comics thread in D&D too much but the two duck comics they showed almost had me in tears. Really good episode, and the funniest Chang plot since season 1.

Hickey's duck isn't drunk enough to be really funny.

Spalding
Jul 24, 2005

GoutPatrol posted:

Hickey's duck isn't drunk enough to be really funny.

What the hell?

conrack
Oct 4, 2006
Am I the only one who died during the Dean and Duncan's little thing at the end of the episode? I always look forward to the last 30 seconds of the episode and this one was pretty good

I really love Jim Rash.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I was a little disappointed we didn't get an update on the adventures of Troy and Levar Burton. At least not one I caught or has been mentioned yet. I was looking at everything on that bulletin board other than the Old Timey Photo looking for clues.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Sakarja posted:

Judging from the promo pictures, she'll have more to do next week.

I just found a description of next week's episode...

S05, E08 (First Aired: March 6, 2014)

Dean Pelton lets two designers test their new social networking application at Greendale, leading to a war among the students; Professor Hickey decides to go underground until the battle ends.

Sounds like it could be the Stardoz episode? If so, I can't wait.

Also,

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Timett posted:

I was a little disappointed we didn't get an update on the adventures of Troy and Levar Burton. At least not one I caught or has been mentioned yet. I was looking at everything on that bulletin board other than the Old Timey Photo looking for clues.

There was.

It reads:

GCC 506/507 Has anyone heard from Troy? Is it true? He may have fallen into a perfect storm? His last contact location was DMS 70' 23' 49.68'. Could a "live" "Troy and Abed in the morning" via satellite be on the Horizon? Throw us a lifeline! GCC513

It was there in 506 but you couldn't read it.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Djarum posted:

There was.

It reads:

GCC 506/507 Has anyone heard from Troy? Is it true? He may have fallen into a perfect storm? His last contact location was DMS 70' 23' 49.68'. Could a "live" "Troy and Abed in the morning" via satellite be on the Horizon? Throw us a lifeline! GCC513

It was there in 506 but you couldn't read it.

:aaaaa: This is amazing.

I just looked the coordinates up, and it's the Bermuda Triangle. Haha.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 1, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Sorry for the double post, but can anybody make out what Duncan shouts out partway through the last scene? "My father got drunk in pubs and left me by a _____________"

Jose Juan Carlos
May 1, 2013
Has the book entitled 'Trout' always been in Hickey's office?

(bottom left)

If it's in reference to Jonathan Bank's character Mike Ehrmantraut on Breaking Bad, has there been any other allusions since his appearance in Community? Just seems very purposeful being placed in his office. Or maybe I'm reading into it too much.

Or maybe I miss Breaking Bad too much.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

thexerox123 posted:

Sorry for the double post, but can anybody make out what Duncan shouts out partway through the last scene? "My father got drunk in pubs and left me by a _____________"

I think it was "and left me in my room with nothing!"

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Spalding posted:

What the hell?

One of the regular cartoons posted in the politicartoons thread is Mallard Fillmore. The author of the comic, Bruce Tinsley, has alcohol issues, so Mallard is generally referred to as being a drunk duck. Mallard Fillmore is also known for forgetting to tell jokes, so I don't know why being drunk would help make a duck more funny. Since Lucky Ducky is the actual funny duck from political cartoons, it's clear the duck isn't poor enough to be funny.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Sefer posted:

One of the regular cartoons posted in the politicartoons thread is Mallard Fillmore. The author of the comic, Bruce Tinsley, has alcohol issues, so Mallard is generally referred to as being a drunk duck. Mallard Fillmore is also known for forgetting to tell jokes, so I don't know why being drunk would help make a duck more funny. Since Lucky Ducky is the actual funny duck from political cartoons, it's clear the duck isn't poor enough to be funny.

Lucky Ducky :argh:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Steve Vader posted:

They actually had Shirley comment on her lack of focus. I would guess that means she's got something coming up.

God willing she'll be the star of the G.I. Joe episode. Shirley is always at her best when she's kicking rear end.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

Sefer posted:

What the hell?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahaha Dan Harmon decided to bitch out some girl on tumblr for I guess posting a gif? with nothing in the original post to insinuate that she was even talking about Community. Anyone have any clue here, or is this just Harmon being a baby? (ignoring the fact that responding and posting that is pretty drat stupid already)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bown posted:

hahaha Dan Harmon decided to bitch out some girl on tumblr for I guess posting a gif? with nothing in the original post to insinuate that she was even talking about Community. Anyone have any clue here, or is this just Harmon being a baby? (ignoring the fact that responding and posting that is pretty drat stupid already)

It's tagged Community.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can't see any tags anywhere on her blog

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bown posted:

I can't see any tags anywhere on her blog

Tumblr is a well-designed site

Insanity Prawn
Jul 17, 2007
Hooray for moon jesus!
The tags show up on my phone, but I can't seem to see them on my browser, but they're #dan harmon #im talking to you #about britta #in community #feminism

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Insanity Prawn posted:

The tags show up on my phone, but I can't seem to see them on my browser, but they're #dan harmon #im talking to you #about britta #in community #feminism

Okay wow I could see how he might get a little upset about that.

But yeah I was gonna say, tumblr users have a habit of putting pithy insults and such in the tags instead of the main post, so there was probably something else in there.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MrAristocrates posted:

Tumblr is a well-designed site

I think you misspelled 'cesspit'.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed

thexerox123 posted:

fruit machine.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Oben posted:

fruit machine.

Fruit machines, for the non-british among us, are electrical gambling machines found in most pubs and bars in the UK. In the USA I think they are called slot machines.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I'm glad Britta is getting some depth back. Pity it had to come with Duncan and Jeff going after her. Abed being called out felt good too after the rest of the group has become more accustomed to him. Chang's plotline was the stand out though.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

Tuxedo Jack posted:

You guys caught Harmon in the old timey photo, right?

Also Spencer from Harmontown. Spencer is the best, I can't wait for his cameo.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Jose Juan Carlos posted:

Has the book entitled 'Trout' always been in Hickey's office?

(bottom left)

If it's in reference to Jonathan Bank's character Mike Ehrmantraut on Breaking Bad, has there been any other allusions since his appearance in Community? Just seems very purposeful being placed in his office. Or maybe I'm reading into it too much.

Or maybe I miss Breaking Bad too much.

If I recall, there's another book on a different shelf to the left of it that says IHRMAN on it, or words to that effect.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Bown posted:

It's a pretty good bitch out, imo. I mean just complaining about something like that and posting a .gif is like walking into a room calling everyone idiots, farting, then walking out. Yeah way to contribute asshat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

joedevola posted:

Also Spencer from Harmontown. Spencer is the best, I can't wait for his cameo.

God dammit I love Spencer. He is terrifying.

Also, it definitely looks like a picture of the writing staff, which is my guess.

• Locked thread