Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
There is a lot of precedent for dragons killing dragons, correct? I'm pretty sure I read that's how some of them went down. So if Drogon is the obvious 'dominant' dragon and Dany is unable to control him, he could totally eat his brothers. Unless one of them's a sister, in which case he might just mate with it.

That's the other problem I have with Dany's succession. She's not going to produce an heir (?) and she has three apparently male dragons who can't lay eggs so that dynasty is hosed unless she magically comes out of Asshai with a lady dragon and the ability to bear a living child. I've been really getting into the good, well developed fan theories lately (R+L=J, Southron Ambitions, Varys Targ, etc) and I'm curious to know if anyone has come up with a way around the lack of heirs/dragons for Dany's line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

pigdog posted:

I was just watching a random video and you know who the best Victarion would be? Vinnie loving Jones.

He'd be way too likable as Victarion. That character is supposed to be a loving hard rear end, hard as nails, head butt you as he's dying type of guy. Look at how Jones was used in Lock Stock and Snatch. Cool, calm, collected. Walks softly but carries a big stick. Victarion is all about growling and looking menacing while killing people brutally. Vinnie would have to be Bron, and Bron's already taken by an awesome actor.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Captain Foxy posted:

There is a lot of precedent for dragons killing dragons, correct? I'm pretty sure I read that's how some of them went down. So if Drogon is the obvious 'dominant' dragon and Dany is unable to control him, he could totally eat his brothers. Unless one of them's a sister, in which case he might just mate with it.

That's the other problem I have with Dany's succession. She's not going to produce an heir (?) and she has three apparently male dragons who can't lay eggs so that dynasty is hosed unless she magically comes out of Asshai with a lady dragon and the ability to bear a living child. I've been really getting into the good, well developed fan theories lately (R+L=J, Southron Ambitions, Varys Targ, etc) and I'm curious to know if anyone has come up with a way around the lack of heirs/dragons for Dany's line.

She was apparently having her periods in that last Dance chapter, so heirs aren't completely off the table.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Doltos posted:

He'd be way too likable as Victarion. That character is supposed to be a loving hard rear end, hard as nails, head butt you as he's dying type of guy. Look at how Jones was used in Lock Stock and Snatch. Cool, calm, collected. Walks softly but carries a big stick. Victarion is all about growling and looking menacing while killing people brutally.
Gotcha. Let's go Danny Dyer instead.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Andrew Verse posted:

She was apparently having her periods in that last Dance chapter, so heirs aren't completely off the table.

I don't remember that, I'm gonna have to re-re-read. After a certain point with the poo poo scenes I think I just filed all bodily functions under that heading. But if she's a ~woman~ again then can we assume all of Mirri Maz Duur's prohesy is now in question?

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Captain Foxy posted:

I don't remember that, I'm gonna have to re-re-read. After a certain point with the poo poo scenes I think I just filed all bodily functions under that heading. But if she's a ~woman~ again then can we assume all of Mirri Maz Duur's prohesy is now in question?

Well, it wasn't really a prophecy in the first place. Dany asks her when will Drogo be as he was, and Mirri basically says "when cows fly". Also, she's not a doctor, her declarations about Dany being unable to get pregnant are suspect at best.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Andrew Verse posted:

Was she really? I remember there being some blood involved, but I thought she was potentially infected with the bloody flux/pale mare.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

It has been said a few times that dragons don't have genders, so Dany's dragons could in theory make more. How dragon reproduction actually works I don't think we've heard about.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Drogon is gonna make his own babies.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Lovechop posted:

Gotcha. Let's go Danny Dyer instead.

Sorry, we've already casted Ray Stevenson for that role.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Doltos posted:

He'd be way too likable as Victarion. That character is supposed to be a loving hard rear end, hard as nails, head butt you as he's dying type of guy. Look at how Jones was used in Lock Stock and Snatch. Cool, calm, collected. Walks softly but carries a big stick. Victarion is all about growling and looking menacing while killing people brutally. Vinnie would have to be Bron, and Bron's already taken by an awesome actor.

Vinnie Jones was slid tackled a child in a pre-match warm up. I think he's hard enough

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Andrew Verse posted:

Well, it wasn't really a prophecy in the first place. Dany asks her when will Drogo be as he was, and Mirri basically says "when cows fly". Also, she's not a doctor, her declarations about Dany being unable to get pregnant are suspect at best.

Well the thing is he's writing a novel and you don't put things into a novel for no reason. Mirri's prophecy is undoubtedly a plot device that won't be explained away as 'she was full of poo poo'.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Xenoborg posted:

It has been said a few times that dragons don't have genders, so Dany's dragons could in theory make more. How dragon reproduction actually works I don't think we've heard about.

They certainly seem to be effected even more strongly by the effects of inbreeding than the Targaryens themselves. Recall that the last dragon was the size of a chihuahua or something.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

loquacius posted:

They certainly seem to be effected even more strongly by the effects of inbreeding than the Targaryens themselves. Recall that the last dragon was the size of a chihuahua or something.

Wasn't that because the Maesters were poisoning them?

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Doltos posted:

Well the thing is he's writing a novel and you don't put things into a novel for no reason. Mirri's prophecy is undoubtedly a plot device that won't be explained away as 'she was full of poo poo'.

Nothing official has framed it as a prophecy, though.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It was not a prophecy, she was counting four impossible things that are supposedly as likely to happen as Khal Drogo coming out of his coma and becoming his old self again. There are people who consider three of these statements to be allegorical and to have already come to fruition, which means that Dany might not be barren.

quote:

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east," said Mirri Maz Duur. "When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before."

I don't really know if I agree with those views myself, I don't consider the end of ADWD to really be conclusive evidence either way.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

How hilarious would it be for that to have been an actual prophecy, and for Drogo to actually somehow come back?

Wait, I think I know who Coldhands is :aaa:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Drogo's gonna be confused as poo poo if he ever comes back.

"Wait my wife... you're talking about that pre-pubescent 12 year old I married? She has dragons now? ... You're talking about the right person, right?"

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

what's the sea going dry again?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It was not a prophecy, she was counting four impossible things that are supposedly as likely to happen as Khal Drogo coming out of his coma and becoming his old self again. There are people who consider three of these statements to be allegorical and to have already come to fruition, which means that Dany might not be barren.

I don't really know if I agree with those views myself, I don't consider the end of ADWD to really be conclusive evidence either way.

Wait, what? How have any of those things happened in any way? I'm pretty sure she was just saying 'never' in the cuntiest way possible.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

The sun rising and setting is Quinten Martell, The mountain is well the mountain dieing to the Rad Viper and I'm not to sure about the sea bit.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

notaspy posted:

The sun rising and setting is Quinten Martell, The mountain is well the mountain dieing to the Rad Viper and I'm not to sure about the sea bit.

http://gameofowns.com/forum/discussion/19/dissecting-the-daenerysmirri-maz-duur-prophecy-adwd-spoilers/p1

The Dothraki sea drying up, allegedly.

For what it's worth I also think Mirri was just saying 'never' but I also think that she was basing her statements both regarding Drogo's condition and Dany's barrenness on her medical knowledge rather than through some form of prescience, so she could possibly just be wrong.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Steve2911 posted:

Wait, what? How have any of those things happened in any way? I'm pretty sure she was just saying 'never' in the cuntiest way possible.

To be fair she did watch her entire village get slaughtered while getting raped by a bunch of dudes.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Doltos posted:

To be fair she did watch her entire village get slaughtered while getting raped by a bunch of dudes.

And would have no desire or inclination to be making random predictions about dickheads thousands of miles away.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Steve2911 posted:

And would have no desire or inclination to be making random predictions about dickheads thousands of miles away.

That's the problem with large time gaps between the books coming out. People try to dissect the story far past anything GRRM actually thought of yet.

mortal
Oct 12, 2012
Maybe he hadn't thought of it at the time, but it would be a pretty good red herring or foreshadowing to have events start lining up with her remarks. And the character definitely doesn't have to intend it as anything other than a sarcastic taunt for it to serve either of those purposes.

E: It's also a good reset button if he decided at some point that Dany was going become pregnant again, but someone pointed out that Mirri Maz Duur said that was impossible.

mortal fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 28, 2014

chellesandcheese
Jul 12, 2005

Pretty sure it wasn't her period at the end of ADWD, it was a miscarriage. Whether that means she can ever bear a living child is still suspect, but she can get pregnant. She thought back to the last time she had her cycle and thought it had been about 3 moons. Drogo has been dead longer than that.

Edit: and that link posted gets it completely wrong. I went back and checked the book, she thinks her last blood was 1,2,or 3 moons ago and has no thoughts about not having bled since being sold to Drogo. Also the term womb quickening refers to when you're able to feel the baby move for the first time so that still hasn't happened. However it does look like she may not be as barren as she thought.

chellesandcheese fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 1, 2014

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Having a period doesn't necessarily mean you can get pregnant. Your body will continue it's cycle even if, say, your fallopian tubes or uterine walls or whatever are super hosed up from a traumatic miscarriage and medieval standards of medical care. Don't think Dany's having any babies even if she's having periods.

This is...the worst conversation.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I thought it was entirely possible that Dany just has a serious bowel infection.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

13Pandora13 posted:

Having a period doesn't necessarily mean you can get pregnant. Your body will continue it's cycle even if, say, your fallopian tubes or uterine walls or whatever are super hosed up from a traumatic miscarriage and medieval standards of medical care. Don't think Dany's having any babies even if she's having periods.
On the other hand,

loving magic

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I would love if Khal Drogo came back, regardless of how inexplicable it would be, just to see him confront Daario.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I just re-read that passage, and it's actually pretty clear she's miscarrying. She thinks specifically that it's been 3 months since her last period, and that her flow has never been that heavy.

Whether it's caused by the berries, a curse, stress and illness, or anything else isn't clear, but yeah.

mortal
Oct 12, 2012
Her miscarrying is kind of a Chekov's gun, isn't it? Why talk about her miscarrying if not to show she can get pregnant? Why show she can get pregnant if she can't carry it to term? Unless it's a red herring, or Dany has a series of miscarriages that make her go Aerys levels of insanse.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Miscarriages(and death in general really) seem to be tied to dragon births and control in a way that has yet to be explicitly detailed, so maybe Drogon is about to become a mother/father?

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Captain Foxy posted:

In "The Princess and the Queen" there were a few green dragon vs. black dragon fights that resulted in the death of one or both dragons, but I think just as many died from arrows or an angry mob.

And Dany's dragons can have kids. According to Aemon dragons are “but now one and now the other, as changeable as flame” when discussing how Dany could be the Prince that was promised.

I don't know about whether or not Dany herself can have kids. Mirri Maz Duur could have just been messing with her head or she might have been serious or maybe she was convinced that that was the consequence of interrupting her blood magic while giving birth. Dany bleeding seems to point to the possibility though.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 1, 2014

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

lifts cats over head posted:

I would love if Khal Drogo came back, regardless of how inexplicable it would be, just to see him confront Daario.

It would be like a telenovela. We open with Dany in Daario's arms in a bungalow with a slowly rotating ceiling fan. They giggle, and the thick humidity leaves their skin glistening wetly. The door swings open, revealing Khal Drogo in an open-front short-sleeved shirt.

"Dany, mi esposa," he says, as the camera zooms in on his smiling face. "Yo Acabamos de regresar de la tumba para continuar nuestro matrimonio."

But then, a tense musical sting! His eyes narrow. "Daenerys. Este hombre que sostiene en manera de un amante. ¿Quién es él?"

"No, marido!" She leaps to her feet, quickly buttoning her blouse shut. "No es lo que piensas, lo juro por los Siete!"

"Khal Drogo, puedo explicarlo," Daario says, his thick, bristling moustache shimmering with sweat. And gold. "¿No le gustaría por favor calmarte?"

Drogo's eyes bore into Daario like a physical blow, knocking the man back onto the extremely tidy bed. "Cállate, puta."

AStrangeDuelist
Nov 27, 2013

Ungratek posted:

Vinnie Jones was slid tackled a child in a pre-match warm up. I think he's hard enough

Is that photoshopped?

chellesandcheese
Jul 12, 2005

mortal posted:

Her miscarrying is kind of a Chekov's gun, isn't it? Why talk about her miscarrying if not to show she can get pregnant? Why show she can get pregnant if she can't carry it to term? Unless it's a red herring, or Dany has a series of miscarriages that make her go Aerys levels of insanse.

I tend to agree with this, but based on what we know so far there's no proof that she can carry to term is all I was trying to say. But I think the evidence is there that she can definitely get pregnant and miscarry. I think it's likely to come up again.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

It would be like a telenovela. We open with Dany in Daario's arms in a bungalow with a slowly rotating ceiling fan. They giggle, and the thick humidity leaves their skin glistening wetly. The door swings open, revealing Khal Drogo in an open-front short-sleeved shirt.

"Dany, mi esposa," he says, as the camera zooms in on his smiling face. "Yo Acabamos de regresar de la tumba para continuar nuestro matrimonio."

But then, a tense musical sting! His eyes narrow. "Daenerys. Este hombre que sostiene en manera de un amante. ¿Quién es él?"

"No, marido!" She leaps to her feet, quickly buttoning her blouse shut. "No es lo que piensas, lo juro por los Siete!"

"Khal Drogo, puedo explicarlo," Daario says, his thick, bristling moustache shimmering with sweat. And gold. "¿No le gustaría por favor calmarte?"

Drogo's eyes bore into Daario like a physical blow, knocking the man back onto the extremely tidy bed. "Cállate, puta."

:golfclap: Bravo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Doltos posted:

Drogo's gonna be confused as poo poo if he ever comes back.

"Wait my wife... you're talking about that pre-pubescent 12 year old I married? She has dragons now? ... You're talking about the right person, right?"

Haha, this would go like one of those "Dear..." columnist letters.

quote:

Dear Prudence,
I am a young widow. A year after my husband's death, I remarried and also found a boyfriend (don't judge! The marriage was for political reasons). My problem is, now my first husband has returned (again, don't ask, but I'm sure it's him!). How do I explain to him that he must adapt to my new circumstances? He was always a bit stereotypically masculine (loved his power displays). Or do I just tell him to find a happy life elsewhere?
Signed,
Mother of Dragons

• Locked thread