Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

More from the Bottle Rocket tastings. 2 Michter's offerings (which are apparently coming out for the first time in like 20 years or something.) No age statement on either.

On the Right Michters American whiskey, told by the rep it's about 5 years old in "Bourbon Soaked Barrels"? maybe he said Bourbon Oak Barrels. Mostly wheat mashbill and pretty boring. Approachable but not much there. Very little spice, anything else. Taste falls flat and grassy. Long finish but becomes oily fast. Very weak, cannot recommend.

Michters Sour mash is much shorter finish, also apparently 5 years ish, new charred oak barrels. It doesn't go as oily and flat as the wheat whiskey. Definitely better, more interesting and complex mashbill here, with a couple nice corn notes. Cleaner taste overall but I can't recommend this one either. It's SO blah. Would probably make a decent cocktail but at $42 probably too much for that. For a little bit more I could definitely get a top shelfy tasting mixer, and cheaper stuff is plenty palatable in that context.

If you want an awesome wheat whiskey, go for Bernheim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

GEEKABALL posted:

Excellent, don't forget to tell us about the Balcones, I am curious.

Loved the single malt, rumble, and rumble reserve.
Wife will drink the rumble with ice or water. If I could get a regular supply of them they would never leave my bar as a staple

Hated brimstone (worse smoke flavor than the shiner smokehouse from a few years back) didn't care for the baby blue.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic

Gegil posted:

Loved the single malt, rumble, and rumble reserve.
Wife will drink the rumble with ice or water. If I could get a regular supply of them they would never leave my bar as a staple

Hated brimstone (worse smoke flavor than the shiner smokehouse from a few years back) didn't care for the baby blue.

Oh no, that Brimstone is delicious. It's a full on BBQ experience nose to finish, but it's so tasty. Although I'll admit a single glass is more than enough.

It's also the only smoked whiskey!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Hooray, I was hoping there was a whisky thread!

I'm very new to whisky, but have a few friends that are into it, and I get to sample a drink here and there during parties. I never got the taste, but I've been told it's a lot like coffee where it's just acquired after a while. Since I'm unemployed, and I had three bottles sitting here, I drank them all neat, and with a splash of water while watching the entire series of The Wire.

Speyburn 10 yr - Out of the three, I liked this one the best. It is very aromatic, fruity smell. Taste is of green apples, grapes. Tart. Not smokey at all. Strong taste.

Tomatin 12 yr - Smells like vanilla. Tastes vanilla, creamy, laid back, and a slight smoke taste.

Powers 12 yr - This tastes close to the Tomatin with a little less vanilla. It is Irish Whiskey and I was going between this and the Tomatin Scotch and wasn't sure I noticed much difference. So I've been reading as much as I can between the types, and I just sit more confused.

I liked all of them, and now I hope for a job soon so I can buy more. Going to keep pushing through the thread.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Admin Understudy posted:

Oh no, that Brimstone is delicious. It's a full on BBQ experience nose to finish, but it's so tasty. Although I'll admit a single glass is more than enough.

It's also the only smoked whiskey!

I love this stuff in an "Old Fashioned" with maple syrup instead of the sugar and a significant amount of extra Angostura to match the smokiness. The closest I have come to a cocktail that tastes like bacon without actually being some bacon-infused monstrosity.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Omg I can't believe I never knew of this thread before! So right now I have Glenfiddich 12/15, Jameson, Woodford Reserve, and Knob Creek. Based on these, what would you recommend I try next?

Also I hope I don't incite war by saying this, but between Glenlivet and Glenfiddich, it's always gonna be the latter for me. I guess I'm a fruit :gay:

Hey also a quick question about Johnnie Walker.. I had some of the red a few months ago and it was AWFUL. Like holy poo poo it was straight-up acetone. Smelled and tasted absolutely repugnant. I had mixed it like 1:10 whiskey to coke and it was still detectable/detestable. Is this normal or did I get a bad batch? I mean it was the worst liquor I'd ever tasted, and I'm considering the likes of Popov (ha-ha poopov) vodka etc. It was that. bad. Thoughts?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Hey also a quick question about Johnnie Walker.. I had some of the red a few months ago and it was AWFUL. Like holy poo poo it was straight-up acetone. Smelled and tasted absolutely repugnant. I had mixed it like 1:10 whiskey to coke and it was still detectable/detestable. Is this normal or did I get a bad batch? I mean it was the worst liquor I'd ever tasted, and I'm considering the likes of Popov (ha-ha poopov) vodka etc. It was that. bad. Thoughts?

Yes, JW Red is awful. I wouldn't use it to clean my grill. JW Black, on the other hand, is a fine blended.

e: and I mean "fine" in the middling sense, not the refined sense.

Origami Dali fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 13, 2014

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

More from the Bottle Rocket tastings. 2 Michter's offerings (which are apparently coming out for the first time in like 20 years or something.) No age statement on either.

On the Right Michters American whiskey, told by the rep it's about 5 years old in "Bourbon Soaked Barrels"? maybe he said Bourbon Oak Barrels. Mostly wheat mashbill and pretty boring. Approachable but not much there. Very little spice, anything else. Taste falls flat and grassy. Long finish but becomes oily fast. Very weak, cannot recommend.

Michters Sour mash is much shorter finish, also apparently 5 years ish, new charred oak barrels. It doesn't go as oily and flat as the wheat whiskey. Definitely better, more interesting and complex mashbill here, with a couple nice corn notes. Cleaner taste overall but I can't recommend this one either. It's SO blah. Would probably make a decent cocktail but at $42 probably too much for that. For a little bit more I could definitely get a top shelfy tasting mixer, and cheaper stuff is plenty palatable in that context.

If you want an awesome wheat whiskey, go for Bernheim.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is underwhelmed by everything I've had from Michters.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Voodoofly posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is underwhelmed by everything I've had from Michters.

I'm mostly irked with Michter's because they're one of those bottlers that puts on a great story about the distillery on the label but they have no distillery. They buy their product from one of the big boys (probably LDI).

I guess I just dislike the trend in bullshit labels in American Whiskey right now.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

I love this stuff in an "Old Fashioned" with maple syrup instead of the sugar and a significant amount of extra Angostura to match the smokiness. The closest I have come to a cocktail that tastes like bacon without actually being some bacon-infused monstrosity.

I'll have to give this a try when I get home. I love the smoke you get in Lagavulin but it was the mesquite nose that was really offputting for me. If the magic of Angostura can transform it to bacon then I'm down for a glass.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Origami Dali posted:

Yes, JW Red is awful. I wouldn't use it to clean my grill. JW Black, on the other hand, is a fine blended.

e: and I mean "fine" in the middling sense, not the refined sense.

Yeah, I thought it would be OK since I'd tried the black, to mild satisfaction. I saw the red, and priced at like 23usd/750ml in my area I figured it wouldn't be like :frogsiren:loving TERRIBLE NOBODY DRINK THIS EVER. :frogsiren:

Like I can't express fully just how terrible this poo poo is. Most of my friends have poo poo tastes ie: Southern Comfort is good to them, Jameson is like really good stuff that they can't afford. We're all 19-20. They found it disgusting. They couldn't drink it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Man, when I was 19, it was grainbelt and mad dog.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Philthy posted:

Man, when I was 19, it was grainbelt and mad dog.

On a particularly sleazy night in my teenage years, I mixed the 'colors' of MD20/20 -- results were not pretty.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Yeah, I thought it would be OK since I'd tried the black, to mild satisfaction. I saw the red, and priced at like 23usd/750ml in my area I figured it wouldn't be like :frogsiren:loving TERRIBLE NOBODY DRINK THIS EVER. :frogsiren:

Like I can't express fully just how terrible this poo poo is. Most of my friends have poo poo tastes ie: Southern Comfort is good to them, Jameson is like really good stuff that they can't afford. We're all 19-20. They found it disgusting. They couldn't drink it.

What are you talking about? Red's fine, if a little smokier than most blends. I mean I wouldn't really recommend drinking it neat, but for scotch and soda's there's nothing wrong with it. Try Famous Grouse for a cheap blended that might be more to your taste.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

rufius posted:

I'm mostly irked with Michter's because they're one of those bottlers that puts on a great story about the distillery on the label but they have no distillery. They buy their product from one of the big boys (probably LDI).

I guess I just dislike the trend in bullshit labels in American Whiskey right now.

I'm not sure if this got posted here already, but according to this wonderful article and infographic, you are correct.

GQ posted:

Kentuckians like to tell you that 95 percent of the world's bourbon comes from their state. What they won't tell you is that pretty much every last drop of that bourbon comes from a handful of conglomerate distilleries. In this chart—excerpted from The Kings County Distillery Guide to Urban Moonshining, on shelves now—the guys behind Brooklyn's oldest craft distillery parse out, once and for all, the complicated kissing cousins of the bluegrass state's bourbon industry.
This chart shows the major distilleries operating in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Indiana, grouped horizontally by corporate owner, then subdivided by distillery. Each tree shows the type of whiskey made, and the various expressions of each style of whiskey or mash bill, in the case of bourbons. For instance, Basil Hayden's is a longer-aged version of Old Grand-Dad, and both are made at the Jim Beam Distillery. Some of this is imprecise. Buffalo Trace has two bourbon mash bills, but it isn't known which of its many brands are made from each, so this is a rough guess based on online commentary...

Used this chart in a presentation I gave as part of a bourbon tasting at my company retreat.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

PatMarshall posted:

What are you talking about? Red's fine, if a little smokier than most blends. I mean I wouldn't really recommend drinking it neat, but for scotch and soda's there's nothing wrong with it. Try Famous Grouse for a cheap blended that might be more to your taste.

It must have been a bad batch. There was nothing smoky about it. It literally smelled and tasted like nail polish remover. Or what I would imagine it to taste like, based on the smell.

Either way I'm never taking that risk again, scarred for life.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Oh don't get me wrong, it's plenty harsh! Try the Grouse and see if you like it better, or Black Grouse if you can spend a little more. It's really good, more caramel/malty notes than JW.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
Local Offering "Breuckelen Distillery" (Brooklyn)

Whiskey from Brooklyn? Who would have thunk it? It's pretty young stuff, aged in a matter of months rather than years.

Especially after my experience with the Michter's I was very happy to taste a wheat whiskey that did not fall completely flat. It was much lighter and aerated/dispersed in mouthfeel than I expected, The rep offered the descriptor french toast which is pretty apt for the blend of sugary and not quite butterscotch sweetness. Not personally quite my thing and for just slightly more money, I can get Bernheim which is fruitier and a bit smoother. Not unseating that as my wheat whiskey pick, but I'm very glad I tried this stuff. It might be someone else's thing and if you want to support a smaller business that uses in state grains, recommend.

Their Rye/Corn 90/10 blend was also interesting but not as good. They the distill it somehow into being much smoother than most rye I've had, which I think is to its detriment. Doesn't have the same spiciness/kick that rye adds to many whiskies. Hudson Rye beats this handily in my book since I can support an NY business there as well.

(I am NOT a gin drinker but I did like their gin as a pleasant sipping drink with a little zip. If I feel like getting wasted some night and I happen to see a bottle, maybe, but that's not what we're here for.)

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Last night I tried some Laphroaig QA and PX as well as some Parker's Heritage bourbon. The bourbon had a good bit going on, but it was nothing intense or extreme, just very nice. The PX was toward the end of the night, but I'm not sure it was as good as I was hoping from the description and the sound of it. The QA, on the other hand, was amazing. It was some perfect blending of vanilla and smoke like an amped-up Balvenie. I would drink that all day if I could.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
I've been trying to get my hands on some Black Bottle scotch so I can drink more economically. I haven't had any luck finding it in Boston. Anyone in the area know of a place that carries it?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I just got a bottle of Maker's Mark and I just noticed that it has some kind of waxy, rubbery red thing around its neck up to the cap. It was tearable so that you could open the cap, but I couldn't get the top rubber part off and it might scratch my hand. What is this?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Schneider Heim posted:

I just got a bottle of Maker's Mark and I just noticed that it has some kind of waxy, rubbery red thing around its neck up to the cap. It was tearable so that you could open the cap, but I couldn't get the top rubber part off and it might scratch my hand. What is this?

Sealing wax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAfBjh9v-UU

Just use a side towel when you open it if you're worried.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Evan Williams goes nuts doing that as well.

It's pretty good stuff, this years single cask is a bit spiced, cinnamon and charcoal burnt taste to it. Yumm.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Lumsden is pouring Companta at the Redwood City K&L tonight for those of you in the SF Bay area.

EDIT: Ehhh... Companta is probably the weakest of the five special editions so far. Nothing can touch the original Sonnalta. They also poured Signet, which nobody can possibly hate.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 21, 2014

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Anyone have experience with Glenrothes Select Reserve? Thoughts on it?

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope
I thought of getting the Signet but I tasted it from a relatively fresh bottle last summer and I can't say it shone in the company of drams it was in. Will try again sometime if I find a bottle at a bar and hold off judgement till then on account of the praise it's gotten around.

Checked out Riga's only easily findable whisky bar while I was in Latvia. Sufficient selection to call itself a whisky bar with about half or 2/3 bottles being OBs or close to that and the rest being mostly Gordon&Macphail Connoisseur's Choice IBs. One drawback was that a tumbler was pretty much the only type of glass available, which made me really sad. The first thing I tried was a G&M, a 15yo Dailuaine much less sherried (if at all) than the Flora & Fauna bottling (which has one of the prettiest colours I've seen in a whisky) but which turned out to be very similar otherwise (not just from memory, I have one F&F open now) and a very moreish dram at under €5/4cl if my memory serves. After that some Arran 14 and Glengoyne 21, the 'goyne turning out to disappoint a bit. It had a wonderful structure and taste but a heavy booze cut. I didn't dare put water in it because apart from the alcohol the mouthfeel felt just perfect, like even a half a teaspoon could make it too thin. Maybe it was the glass? Don't know, but would not buy, will try again to see if I was unlucky. The bottle was pretty fresh at least. Notable treasures on the shelf that I will come back to taste later with a better glass were a Caperdonich and a Convalmore, both elderly and cheap compared to what you'd pay for a bottle now. The only letdown was the Islay section with all Bruichladdich except the 20 (there were at least 5 Bru items on the menu I think) gone and the rest comprised of Caol Ila 12, Ardbeg 10, Lagavulin 16, Laphro QC and Bunna 12 & 18. Some more reinforcements from G&M bottlings would have been nice.

At the Riga airport tax free they were selling the travel retail 1 liter bottle of Ardbeg Ten at €49. Couldn't get one this time on account of several unfinished Ardbegs still remaining but I will definitely get one when I go there next time. They also had Balvenie 30, at over €100 higher price than what you can buy it taxes included from online retail in countries with a higher income level :psyduck:

A new shipment of bottles should arrive at the end of the week. I'm kind of anxious to open the Balvenie 15 Single Barrel that's among the stuff while I still have a little of the 12yo Single Barrel left. I feel like comparing them some because my memory of my only 15SB dram so far was that it definitely was more complex than the straightforward (but good) 12.

Deleuzionist fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 27, 2014

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
I am loving this Rogue Dead Guy Whiskey. It's surprisingly flavorful for being a 1 month. Kind of dominated by the sweet cherry note, tastes almost like a mixed drink. It's scary drinkable, I keep refilling my glass.

Maybe I was just expecting much worse from a 1 month aged whiskey but I'm getting a kick out of this.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Rogue Dead Guy really surprised me with how tasty it was. There's a briny character to it (if I remember right) that I found extremely appealing.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

ChetReckless posted:

Anyone have experience with Glenrothes Select Reserve? Thoughts on it?

I have their Robur Reserve and if you like Speyside that one is quite enjoyable.

The nose is very strong caramel, taste is similar to Glenlivet but more flowery than the Glenlivet's citrus-like flavor.

No idea if this is the standard for Glenrothes, but it definitely wasn't a bad buy.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Semi-local store had George T Stagg, Thomas Handy, and Bourye listed on their site. Total for all three - $182 bucks. Slammed the checkout button and made weekend plans.

Just got an email stating all were actually out of stock :negative:

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

BioTech posted:

I have their Robur Reserve and if you like Speyside that one is quite enjoyable.

The nose is very strong caramel, taste is similar to Glenlivet but more flowery than the Glenlivet's citrus-like flavor.

No idea if this is the standard for Glenrothes, but it definitely wasn't a bad buy.

It was on sale so I figured I'd give it a shot. It actually has tasting notes on the bottle: ripe fruits, vanilla, citrus and a hint of spices. To be honest I thought that was pretty accurate. I thought it was fairly fruity/citrusy at the start and finished spicy.

Definitely a change from my last (and only other so far) bottle of Laphroaig QC but I like it.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope
http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-13762.aspx

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-10147.aspx

I'm speechless.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Not gonna lie, I really want that owl.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

My buddy got me the Redbreast 12 year cask strength and also the Redbreast 15 as a combination late Christmas and very late birthday present.

He is hereby forgiven. The texture on the 15 is unreal, it's like drinking olive oil.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Kenning posted:

He is hereby forgiven. The texture on the 15 is unreal, it's like drinking olive oil.

You need to work on your similes

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

wormil posted:

Yes, he does. Although impressions of Whisky leave an awful lot of room for weird similes.

remember
Nov 23, 2006
If my regular store has the regular Elijah Craig barrel proof, should I scoop it up right away or does it generally sit?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

wormil posted:

Fine. It's got a rich, pot-barrel texture reminiscent warm gelatin.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Where do you guys get your whisk(e)y release news? It seems like anytime I hear about something interesting, I find out that it essentially came and went before I even got the chance to look for it on a shelf. Would love to know when to expect something new to hit my neck of the woods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Admin Understudy posted:

I am loving this Rogue Dead Guy Whiskey. It's surprisingly flavorful for being a 1 month. Kind of dominated by the sweet cherry note, tastes almost like a mixed drink. It's scary drinkable, I keep refilling my glass.

Maybe I was just expecting much worse from a 1 month aged whiskey but I'm getting a kick out of this.

try the Bend Distillery Rye too....good stuff.