Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

ImpAtom posted:

Four Job Fiesta is a gimmick run of Final Fantasy V where you have four specific randomly-chosen jobs. There are all sorts of weird gimmick runs and such you can do and it often is done for charity.

Think it's doable in Bravely Default, or are you stuck as Freelancers for too long if you don't get any of the early jobs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yukari posted:

Think it's doable in Bravely Default, or are you stuck as Freelancers for too long if you don't get any of the early jobs?

There are two options here:

1) The jobs are roughly divided into groups so you'd get one from each group. (The problem being that there are more than four groups so you'd have to combine.)

2) There is a New Game + option which allows you to carry over jobs and nother else (including job levels) so you can start with all jobs and just unlock at the right point. The only problem there is that it locks out people who haven't finished the game once.

It isn't as smooth as FFV but it is doable.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sunning posted:

The biggest strike against is the augment system.

The biggest strike against the FFIV remake is that you're only allowed limited New Game + runs (three, I think), making some Augments permanently-missable across multiple playthroughs IIRC. Or, at least that was the case in the DS version. Once I discovered that I stopped playing after the first run.

More FFV trip reporting: The boss of the Island Shrine wins the award for Easiest yet Most Annoying Battle. Jesus.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Limiting NG+ playthroughs is the dumbest idea a video game person ever had. It's not even like there's a good reason for limiting/destroying your file like that like what NIER did.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ImpAtom posted:

There are two options here:

1) The jobs are roughly divided into groups so you'd get one from each group. (The problem being that there are more than four groups so you'd have to combine.)

2) There is a New Game + option which allows you to carry over jobs and nother else (including job levels) so you can start with all jobs and just unlock at the right point. The only problem there is that it locks out people who haven't finished the game once.

It isn't as smooth as FFV but it is doable.

You could just skip a set at random, or make it a 5 Job Fiesta. :v:

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

You could do it both ways, similar to how the FJF has variations like a Natural run (everyone gets a job from their one crystal and THAT IS IT NO SWITCHING NO SIR) or Hard mode and so on. One mode gives you four jobs from the different chapters, with an additional role to decide which of the chapters you get jobs from, another mode lets you do NG+ and rolls from all the jobs at once, etc. I don't really see a problem with a 5-job fiesta either, it just adds an extra tool to work with. Could be an easy mode.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

If The Third Birthday is any indication, I don't think a setting based on a real location is the core SE staff's forte.

The real world setting seems to be the least of Third Birthday's problems. Never played it myself though...but to be honest if I still had a PSP when it was released I probably would have.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The real world setting in TB didn't matter eitehr way because it was all linear corridors filled with gimmick monsters.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
Parasite Eve was a really good game, how did they manage to gently caress it up so badly? Didn't they release the sequel for mobile phones or some nonsense?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Excels posted:

Parasite Eve was a really good game, how did they manage to gently caress it up so badly?

Motomu Toriyama.

There's a reason he's so hated.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Motomu Toriyama.

There's a reason he's so hated.

I suppose so. If the story in the 3rd birthday was actually good then it might've made up for the lackluster gameplay, so you could throw that at his feet. It's just strange when you consider that the game was direct by Hajime Tabata, who was previously responsible for what was probably the only good thing about the "compilation of FF7", Crisis Core and then after the 3rd birthday went on to direct Type-0 which was quite well received. Maybe it is just that Motomu Toriyama stink.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mischitary posted:

I suppose so. If the story in the 3rd birthday was actually good then it might've made up for the lackluster gameplay, so you could throw that at his feet. It's just strange when you consider that the game was direct by Hajime Tabata, who was previously responsible for what was probably the only good thing about the "compilation of FF7", Crisis Core and then after the 3rd birthday went on to direct Type-0 which was quite well received. Maybe it is just that Motomu Toriyama stink.

Toriyama was pretty vocal about having a lot of control over the game. (Often in creepy ways. He was the guy directly responsible for all the 'voice change in costume' stuff they cut out of the US release for example.) Tabata isn't flawless but a lot of the extremely uncomfortable stuff happens to keep popping up in games Toriyama is involved with.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I hope the Japanese fanbase detests Motomu Toriyama. Unlike here, I think Square-Enix actually cares about what their Japanese fans have to say.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Level Slide posted:

I hope the Japanese fanbase detests Motomu Toriyama. Unlike here, I think Square-Enix actually cares about what their Japanese fans have to say.

Sadly, Japan loves Lightning, which means SE will probably think he did something right with XIII.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Level Slide posted:

"Being an absolute creep" seldom alienates Japanese fanbases for video games. They have an entire industry built on selling things to creeps.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Let's be honest. You can get away with being a tremendous creep about things a lot worse than video game breasts if you make something people like. Ain't nobody surprised by that.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Quick FFIV Augments question - I've checked out some guides on who to give what to, but unfortunately checked them a little too late, and gave the first two Augments to the wrong characters. Since I'm already three hours in, I don't want to restart play. Would it be best to just continue the guide from the third Augment? So if Palom and Porom were supposed to get the first two Augments, would it best to skip over them and give the third Augment to the next character in the guide? Sorry for the convoluted question, I hope you FFIV pros know what I'm getting at.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ImpAtom posted:

Let's be honest. You can get away with being a tremendous creep about things a lot worse than video game breasts if you make something people like. Ain't nobody surprised by that.

Toriyama hasn't made anything that should earn him that exception, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ozza posted:

Quick FFIV Augments question - I've checked out some guides on who to give what to, but unfortunately checked them a little too late, and gave the first two Augments to the wrong characters. Since I'm already three hours in, I don't want to restart play. Would it be best to just continue the guide from the third Augment? So if Palom and Porom were supposed to get the first two Augments, would it best to skip over them and give the third Augment to the next character in the guide? Sorry for the convoluted question, I hope you FFIV pros know what I'm getting at.

I would not overly worry about it. Just make sure you have enough Augments to give Palom and Porom and you'll have enough 'disposable' Augments by later on that it isn't really a big loss for the other characters. Palom and Porom and FuSoYa are basically the only "must dos" and the others are just nice.

You miss out on doing weird max-stat playthroughs but those are hugely unnecessary even for the optional superboss.

Defiance Industries posted:

Toriyama hasn't made anything that should earn him that exception, though.

Japan loves the gently caress out of FFX and he was a big part of that.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Toriyama was pretty vocal about having a lot of control over the game. (Often in creepy ways. He was the guy directly responsible for all the 'voice change in costume' stuff they cut out of the US release for example.) Tabata isn't flawless but a lot of the extremely uncomfortable stuff happens to keep popping up in games Toriyama is involved with.

Motomu Toriyama is super-creepy about Lightning.

This franchise is pretty much a waifu simulator for him. He's not even subtle about that, either. After the original FFXIII came out, SE club members were sent a collector plate with Light's face on it, saying "She must not be forgotten."

He also believes video games should just be movies. Like that is his quoted philosophy on gaming.

Excels fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 1, 2014

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Excels posted:

He also believes video games should just be movies. Like that is his quoted philosophy on gaming.

Holy poo poo that's terrible. Like, I'm one of those idiots who are of the opinion that story is at least as important as gameplay, and I'll admit that that is terrible. Why not just make or watch a loving movie? Source?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Gologle posted:

Holy poo poo that's terrible. Like, I'm one of those idiots who are of the opinion that story is at least as important as gameplay, and I'll admit that that is terrible. Why not just make or watch a loving movie? Source?

It's not even the assertion that games should be just like movies that's the saddest part- it's how BAD he is at making "movies." Endless dialogue that neither explains anything nor adds anything to the story or characters makes for terrible movies! And it doesn't work any better in games.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Gologle posted:

quote:

"Toriyama believes his strength is in directing games that are very story-driven. He also thinks that it becomes very difficult to tell a compelling story when the player is given a huge amount of freedom to explore. According to him, the most important aspect of a Final Fantasy game is the characters. Toriyama has stated that the aim of the linear game design used in the first half of Final Fantasy XIII was to feel like watching a film. This was done to absorb the player into the story and to introduce them to the characters and their battle abilities without becoming distracted or lost. Toriyama explained that the amount of memory and processing power needed to produce impressive graphics was the main reason not to have a seamless battle system for Final Fantasy XIII. He is interested in using first-person shooter games for inspiration rather than Western role-playing video games, as he believes they give a better sense of tension during battles."

From his Wikipedia page.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Excels posted:

Motomu Toriyama is super-creepy about Lightning.

This franchise is pretty much a waifu simulator for him. He's not even subtle about that, either. After the original FFXIII came out, SE club members were sent a collector plate with Light's face on it, saying "She must not be forgotten."

Strangely though, whenever you jump off something in LR, Lightning will do a commando roll when she lands. But only if she's wearing something that protects her modesty (to a degree). If she's wearing a short skirted outfit, she won't, she just lands on her feet and keeps going, not even bending her knees.

Although, maybe this is to defend her pure and virtual honour and not a missed chance to be more creepy at her.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Aurain posted:

Strangely though, whenever you jump off something in LR, Lightning will do a commando roll when she lands. But only if she's wearing something that protects her modesty (to a degree). If she's wearing a short skirted outfit, she won't, she just lands on her feet and keeps going, not even bending her knees.

Although, maybe this is to defend her pure and virtual honour and not a missed chance to be more creepy at her.

S-E has always been slightly better about that stuff than the competition, at least when talking about their RPGs. LR and Bravely Default with the creepy outfits have been steps in the wrong direction. If they have to raise the characters' ages and censor outfits for the Western release to be sure they're not breaking any laws there's something wrong with their whole design process.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Mar 1, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They wouldn't have 'broken any laws' if they released it as was. Don't be ridiculous, waaaay worse poo poo has been released. The changes were probably to avoid an M-rating.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I doubt it was to avoid an M rating. Disgaea and poo poo like Ar Tonelico doesn't actually get above T ratings and they regularly feature stuff about on that level. Even Lightning Returns is a T and that has outfits that make the worst Bravely Default has to offer look tame. They probably just realized that kinda poo poo is going to skeeve out customers and did what they could to alleviate that.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Mar 1, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I doubt it was to avoid an M rating. Disgaea and poo poo like Ar Tonelico doesn't actually get above T rating
The third Ar Tonelico game actually did get an M.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

The third Ar Tonelico game actually did get an M.

Yep, because it contains "Fantasy Violence" instead of "Mild Fantasy Violence" like the other two games. ESRB ratings are weird.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Yep, because it contains "Fantasy Violence" instead of "Mild Fantasy Violence" like the other two games. ESRB ratings are weird.
Hahaha, really? I guess the 3D graphics suddenly made it far too gruesome for teenagers.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

ImpAtom posted:

Even Lightning Returns is a T and that has outfits that make the worst Bravely Default has to offer look tame. They probably just realized that kinda poo poo is going to skeeve out customers and did what they could to alleviate that.

Lightning isn't supposed to be 15, though. It's the age of the characters that makes it extra skeevy, even if they're characters in a game. It's not like I'm upset - there's been worse stuff - I'm just not going to buy it. If they want me to buy their games, don't step over the line.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Mar 1, 2014

spiff_dedalus
Jul 15, 2004
The best-laid plans of mice and men go oft awry.
My mother happened to walk by in the living room while I was playing Final Fantasy XIII, and, glancing at the screen, she asked, "What does 'Deprotect' mean?"

I said, "Well, there's a spell called 'Protect', so I guess 'Deprotect' is kind of like its opposite."

She said, "Is 'Deprotect' even a word? Shouldn't it be 'Unprotected' or something?" then left.

Now, even typing the word looks weird to me. My life is a lie.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Just be glad she didn't see a cutscene with Vanille in it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ImpAtom posted:

You think the ESRB is weird..

Apparently we have some amazingly badass version of Atelier Totori Plus that nobody else has.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

High Impact Sexual Violence: a dumb gag about boobs

Also Deprotect is a word.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Who's the idiot that's getting the FFX HD remake despite hating the story because he likes the battle system enough that he'll put up with unskippable cutscenes, unlikable characters, and bullshit minigames?

This idiot. Right here. Hi. How are you?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

spiff_dedalus posted:

My mother happened to walk by in the living room while I was playing Final Fantasy XIII, and, glancing at the screen, she asked, "What does 'Deprotect' mean?"

I said, "Well, there's a spell called 'Protect', so I guess 'Deprotect' is kind of like its opposite."

She said, "Is 'Deprotect' even a word? Shouldn't it be 'Unprotected' or something?" then left.

Now, even typing the word looks weird to me. My life is a lie.

If you deprotect something, you leave it unprotected. It makes sense.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
How feasible would a "Use only these three random characters" run be in FFX? I've only played it once and never bothered finishing it due to ultimate weapons, and I know the group splits at points, but I was curious as to whether it would make for a good challenge run, or if some enemies would be impossible without a certain character.

Otherwise, I think it could be a fun mini-run to do as a thread, especially with the remake coming out soon.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Mega64 posted:

How feasible would a "Use only these three random characters" run be in FFX? I've only played it once and never bothered finishing it due to ultimate weapons, and I know the group splits at points, but I was curious as to whether it would make for a good challenge run, or if some enemies would be impossible without a certain character.

Otherwise, I think it could be a fun mini-run to do as a thread, especially with the remake coming out soon.

It would be downright impossible if you didn't get at least one of Wakka/Rikku/Tidus, I seem to remember that there's an underwater section that includes a boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Mega64 posted:

The first time I ever played FFX I only really ever used Tidus, Yuna, and Lulu because I was dumb and didn't get that you're SUPPOSED to use everyone about evenly. I got up to about Yunalesca before the game became pretty much unwinnable. Granted I was using Lulu and Lulu kinda sucks, but still, it's really tough.