Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Casu Marzu posted:

I'm celebrating my lack of illness with a Central Waters Peruvian Morning right now.

Congrats on finding one of the five non-infected bottles this run.

I'm celebrating the end of a lovely work week with a $5 bottle of vinho verde from Trader Joe's. Okay, maybe three bottles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Dane posted:

What we got was - an experience. An experience of the kind that you rarely get. An experience brought to us by what I can only assume was a deranged German chef who trained in 1980s hotel kitchens and had never eaten tapas or pinxos in his life.

Hands down the most absurd meal of my life

how much did this cost you?

I've had similar experiences at costal resort towns. I went to Hilton Head, SC a few years back, and certainly wasn't expecting good food - but there was nothing.

we sought out the most authentic sounding place, which was some old lady and her husband running some sort of french food-esque outfit.

we had some really appalling service, some completely mis-seasoned dishes out of the 70s, insanely nonsensical portion sizes, some really confusing dialog with the cook/chef, and in the end just had to laugh it off and go home.

blerg

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I sort of love anachronistic "fancy" dining. Like, I wish there was somewhere I could go to get cherries jubilee and salmon en papillote and awful Chianti. It would be such a blast. Once.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

mindphlux posted:

how much did this cost you?

I've had similar experiences at costal resort towns. I went to Hilton Head, SC a few years back, and certainly wasn't expecting good food - but there was nothing.

we sought out the most authentic sounding place, which was some old lady and her husband running some sort of french food-esque outfit.

we had some really appalling service, some completely mis-seasoned dishes out of the 70s, insanely nonsensical portion sizes, some really confusing dialog with the cook/chef, and in the end just had to laugh it off and go home.

blerg

I think we paid €37 each for the menu, not expensive at all for what it purported to be; but in the better restaurants in the area the most expensive mains run around €19, so it was still a good deal pricier than anything else we might have found.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Casu Marzu posted:

:hfive:

I'm celebrating my lack of illness with a Central Waters Peruvian Morning right now.

Man, I love that beer. I would've gotten some reserved at our liquor store in GB, but we probably won't be up there for a while so I felt bad. Oh well, I'll get some next year, no bigs.

Now to find an apartment with a not lovely kitchen and maybe an island or a breakfast bar because I am so sick of a lovely closed in lovely lovely dirty (the linoleum is stained, doesn't matter if you mop) old rear end kitchen that I don't even cook in because it sucks. >:(

Kenning posted:

I sort of love anachronistic "fancy" dining. Like, I wish there was somewhere I could go to get cherries jubilee and salmon en papillote and awful Chianti. It would be such a blast. Once.

One day, I think I'm gonna have to throw a retro dinner party. Everybody wears terrible, dated clothes and I'll serve up some trendy retro food with terrible, dated plating. I feel like it'd be pretty fun.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Kenning posted:

Tavern on the Green in New York closed just a couple of years ago, so that's another of the few places like that gone.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Skinny King Pimp posted:

One day, I think I'm gonna have to throw a retro dinner party. Everybody wears terrible, dated clothes and I'll serve up some trendy retro food with terrible, dated plating. I feel like it'd be pretty fun.

This rarely turns out nearly as amusing as people think beforehand.

e: Come to think of it, make retro food that was (and is) legit good. Stuff like proper shrimp cocktail with freshly boiled shrimp, crispy iceberg salad, homemade mayonnaise. Or banoffee pie which is loving delicious if you've got a sweet tooth.

Force de Fappe fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Mar 1, 2014

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Sjurygg posted:

Tavern on the Green in New York closed just a couple of years ago, so that's another of the few places like that gone.

I remember Howard Stern once trying to explain to one of his staffers that the food at Tavern on the Green just wasn't very good. Howard has lived in NYC his whoel life, while Richard is from Kansas. Richard would just rave about how good the food was there.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Man, I love that beer. I would've gotten some reserved at our liquor store in GB, but we probably won't be up there for a while so I felt bad. Oh well, I'll get some next year, no bigs.

What was your preferred store in GB?

bartolimu posted:

Was the 2014 batch that bad again? I haven't heard either way.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Dane posted:

I think we paid €37 each for the menu, not expensive at all for what it purported to be; but in the better restaurants in the area the most expensive mains run around €19, so it was still a good deal pricier than anything else we might have found.

How many lemon crowns and tomato roses were on your plates?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

E:F;B

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Casu Marzu posted:

What was your preferred store in GB?

We always went to Ridgeview, since we could walk to it from our apartment. We have an agreement with the owner that he'll hold stuff for us and not charge more than wholesale if we bring him beers he can't get in Wisconsin. Works out pretty well for everyone.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Kenning posted:

There's been a bit of a retro movement among Vegas chefs lately. Some off-Strip New Years menus included Chicken a la King and Seafood Newburg, and apparently N9NE Steakhouse is doing lobster thermidor (3-pound lobster, $89, gently caress you Strip) these days. I anxiously await the triumphant return of the duck press to mainstream Vegas cookery.

Casu Marzu posted:

Was the 2014 batch that bad again? I haven't heard either way.
I actually haven't heard, but I couldn't resist a sour grapes post since I've only had it once and it was infected.

edit: Beer Thread rumor says yeah, 2014 has infection issues too. I'm glad there are at least some drinkable bottles, though.

bartolimu fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 1, 2014

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

just live in Corona or Norco or something.

Ughhhh the drive from Norco to Irvine would be soul-destroying though. And I seriously doubt Wiggles would like Norco, it's so freaking fake. Also there is only one restaurant that's any good (the diner on 6th street. The deli is okay too I guess).

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Hawkgirl posted:

Ughhhh the drive from Norco to Irvine would be soul-destroying though. And I seriously doubt Wiggles would like Norco, it's so freaking fake. Also there is only one restaurant that's any good (the diner on 6th street. The deli is okay too I guess).

the commute from anywhere to anywhere in the greater LA/OC is soul destroying.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

My commute is not terrible, it's 30 minutes long almost exactly and I get to laugh at all the cars going the other way on the 91 :colbert:

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

Im going to the store to pick up a 6 pack of beer and a pregnancy test...we have four boys and my wife has an iud. Wish me luck.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Those things are like super effective, so it's best to just pick up a handle of whiskey instead.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Everyone should commute by bicycle. Eat whatever you want without getting fat, save the planet and get shapely calves. Wearing lycra is just a bonus.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
That would take me roughly 4 hours each way. When it's not snowing. Nice thought though.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Well they opened an Ike's Place about three miles from where I live... In Mesa, AZ. Mesa sucks a lot and it's in a really weird location but hey, they make pretty loving awesome subs so I'm pretty excited about it and hope they stay open!

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Ike's is good; initially the ingredients were of higher quality and as they expanded there was a marked decline in quality but they are still pretty dang good.

Did brunch at 15 Romolo (mehhhhh) and snacks at Hog n Rocks, awesome vignerone tasting/meet n greet at Arlequin and dinner at State Bird Provisions... Dinner was incredible, totally lives up to the hype. I'll do an effort post with photos and descriptions tomorrow but now I'm going to go drink a high life in the bath tub with my handsome boyfriend.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

bartolimu posted:

Yeah, apparently all my friends' bottles are infected. So sad. This has always been one of my favorite beers.

Skinny King Pimp posted:

We always went to Ridgeview, since we could walk to it from our apartment. We have an agreement with the owner that he'll hold stuff for us and not charge more than wholesale if we bring him beers he can't get in Wisconsin. Works out pretty well for everyone.

I love Ridgeview. Whenever I'm back in geebs I hit em up. Always something interesting.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Scientastic posted:

Everyone should commute by bicycle. Eat whatever you want without getting fat, save the planet and get shapely calves. Wearing lycra is just a bonus.

I do this and it's pretty great. Much cheaper than using a car. Unfortunately I don't go far enough or something so I haven't really lost weight doing it, but maybe it's because I'm still eating like poo poo. At least I'm not getting fatter, but I may get run off the road for wearing lycra. I'd look too much like a balloon animal.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I confess that I have not taken excellent care of my nice knives. I'll hit them with the steel every so often, knowing that I'm not really doing anything since they are currently dull.

Then I went and had them professionally sharpened. So happy, and only about $5 per knife. They are now sharp enough again to where I don't even notice it when I cut myself. I promise that I will use my steel every time I use a knife now, and dry them immediately after washing.

So good. That is all.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Speaking of old fashioned frills and not taking care of your knives:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLXEiMIiF5E

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
That knife is so drat dull, also looks like a Mercer, which would explain the dull.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

That knife is so drat dull, also looks like a Mercer, which would explain the dull.

Well, the whole "cut through the apple onto the metal butterknives"-thing might also play a part.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Apparently taking a bite out of a muffin and then putting it back is a thing people do. They're self-serve, not free, and now I have to throw that muffin away along with the other ones you pawed with your gross hands or inexplicably ripped to pieces, you loving savages.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I think it's a sick fetish thing and if I ever catch somebody doing it I'm going to publicly shame the gently caress out of their rear end. Vermin.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZN4r8p6KbU

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Sjurygg posted:

I think it's a sick fetish thing and if I ever catch somebody doing it I'm going to publicly shame the gently caress out of their rear end. Vermin.

Don't. It's a gang initiation thing.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxVcgDMBU94

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Apparently taking a bite out of a muffin and then putting it back is a thing people do. They're self-serve, not free, and now I have to throw that muffin away along with the other ones you pawed with your gross hands or inexplicably ripped to pieces, you loving savages.
Sell the bit muffins for 50 percent off!

Wait, are they biting the stump or the top?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

I will never understand Germans.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I run a produce department at a major national grocery store. You wouldn't believe how many apples/peaches/etc I've pulled where somebody clearly took a bite and then just put it back on the shelf.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Stalizard posted:

I run a produce department at a major national grocery store. You wouldn't believe how many apples/peaches/etc I've pulled where somebody clearly took a bite and then just put it back on the shelf.

I have seen some poo poo. It's not a car dealership. You don't get to test drive the food!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Wow, and I was pretty disgusted with the folks who just reach their hands into the nut bins and pop samples into their mouths.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I worked as a stockboy in small local market in my teens, so I've seen all of that. The one that still gets me is when people ditch meat/produce/frozen food in the candy rack while waiting in line to check out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Squashy Nipples posted:

I worked as a stockboy in small local market in my teens, so I've seen all of that. The one that still gets me is when people ditch meat/produce/frozen food in the candy rack while waiting in line to check out.

While shopping once I found a pound of ground beef on the pears.