Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Hello, my current job is poo poo (literally, it involves sorting vials of feces among other things for a medical testing company) and the hours are horrible so I am looking for an out to something that will pay a little better (I make 13/hr including shift differential atm) and more importantly put me back on normal human being time because this schedule is killing me. I am a PC enthusiast (I built my own system, though not without destroying a CPU in the process) and some of the sample questions look familiar to me. I don't have any previous experience with anything IT related at all except for just having an above average knowledge of computer things. A helpful systems administrator friend of mine suggested the A+ and Network+ ones to get my foot in the door. What can I expect jobs wise from that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

All we know is... he's called The Stig.
The MS Windows 7 cert is another good one to start with. MS is offering a free second attempt if you fail through the end of May so now is a good time to do it.

Support jobs is what you can expect but it might pay around what you make now or less depending on the city. Ideally not something like a comcast call center telling people to unplug and plug it back in. Look on dice or indeed and search help desk, desktop support, and field technician and see what the descriptions are like and what they're asking for.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Amphion posted:

The MS Windows 7 cert is another good one to start with. MS is offering a free second attempt if you fail through the end of May so now is a good time to do it.

Support jobs is what you can expect but it might pay around what you make now or less depending on the city. Ideally not something like a comcast call center telling people to unplug and plug it back in. Look on dice or indeed and search help desk, desktop support, and field technician and see what the descriptions are like and what they're asking for.

This is good advice. I'd add that once you do land that first helldesk or support gig, don't stop studying and improving. Like Amphion said unless you luck out the job will still probably kinda suck and not pay much better. You want to use that first foot in the door to figure out what kind of career track you want to be on and then take the next step to something like Jr Sysadmin or Jr Network Admin where work will actually start to become interesting and rewarding long-term. You should be ready for this within a year or two at an entry-level gig if you're working at self improvement.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Amphion posted:

Is this done through the same organization that does A+ and Network+?

Thanks for the info, I'm not expecting any kind of pay raise but it would be worth it just to get back on days.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

No, MS has their own certs. Google "MSCA" plus Microsoft.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 1, 2014

quicksand
Nov 21, 2002

A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.
Booked the 74-325 (office 365 Administration for Small Business) for the 6th of March, was told last week on Tuesday (Feb 25) that I need to write it by the 7th. This came from on high.

Then I was promptly sent out of the city for 3 days.

So far from the "study material" (a recorded webinar) and seeing practice questions.. this exam will suck because it is all mostly wrong and for the previous wave of Office 365, not the current one. Good times!

At least I didn't have to pay for the exam.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

QPZIL posted:

I just signed up for the VMware vSphere install/config/etc. self-paced class from VMware and I'm very happy with it so far. Looks like I've got 90 days to become a VCP! The only issue I have is their lab connection is slowwwww to the point where I'm just doing most of the lab stuff in a VMware Workstation environment.

But hey, supposed the coupon I used for training means they'll send me an iPad Mini! Bonus! I guess that offsets the $3000 a little :negative:

AND yesterday I got my email notice about the Stanly CC course. Great timing there.

Lemme know how I can help I just think doing gugs forward will be ICM and vmware which kinda overrides the use of my website n poo poo but eh. If it helps others learn I am game.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
For those who are looking for their CCENT/CCNA and don't wanna (or can't) shell out the money for something like CBT Nuggets, the guy who ran the CCNA Course kickstarter ages ago has been releasing his videos finally. This will eventually include CCNA: Security and CCNP eventually it looks like, which is pretty cool.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

hackedaccount posted:

I remember having about 6 quizzes. If you don't see them you might want to send a Jmail (or whatever it's call) to the instructor.
When in doubt e-mail the instructor. Mine was really good at getting back to me.
I ended up emailing the instructor and he told me as long as I had completed everything through Lab 21, I was good to go.

There were 3 quizzes: Class Overview Quiz, which is just reading the syllabus, VMware Registration, self-explanatory, and the Module 2 Quiz, which covered the Intro. The other 10 modules are just videos and labs.

Vaccuss
Jul 1, 2012
Hello all,
I would like to know what you all recommend in the way of databasing certs. Quick overview is that I am nearly finished an education degree (I.T major) but due to availability I was not able to pick up any database subjects and it is an area I will need to teach.

I have looked at the MS SQL path in the OP but I was wondering if that teaches the database design entity/relationship mapping(?) concepts.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Hi everyone,

Someone on Reddit let me know about a really cool 5 hour course that Juniper offer - Juniper Network Fundamentals. I've done the first few segments and it's really helped me understand the basics (Networking is most definitely my weak point). Here's the link. Completely free, you just need to sign up - might be handy for someone looking to get started on networking, and possibly pair it with those CCNA kickstarter videos.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

FYI, Juniper emails username/password in plain text once you register. gently caress them.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Great find. Thanks!

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
I'm looking to grab myself a VCP5 cert, and the whole classroom training part of it shits me - like who can easily justify that time off work?

So anyway, since I want to fund this cert myself because I hate being "in debt" to an employer, I'm looking for something cheap. Is there any online Install, Manage, Configure course that's not "live"? Like, I want to be able to just watch the videos in my own time, not on some schedule with a bloody webcam set up. Anyone know of such a course?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Muslim Wookie posted:

I'm looking to grab myself a VCP5 cert, and the whole classroom training part of it shits me - like who can easily justify that time off work?

So anyway, since I want to fund this cert myself because I hate being "in debt" to an employer, I'm looking for something cheap. Is there any online Install, Manage, Configure course that's not "live"? Like, I want to be able to just watch the videos in my own time, not on some schedule with a bloody webcam set up. Anyone know of such a course?

Stanlety CC or check your local Community college.

Should be some resources in the OP.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Muslim Wookie posted:

So anyway, since I want to fund this cert myself because I hate being "in debt" to an employer
Fix your terrible perspective, bro.

You don't owe them poo poo. Myself, I'm taking an 5 day class, for free, that would normally* cost a little under $3,000. I don't owe my employer anything for this, I consider it part of my salary. They want me to stay up on the latest, this is how they do it.

* - one of those Microsoft 5 day courses. I can't imagine anyone actually pays full price for these things, though. Not a lot of out-of-work people going to these, I'd think, probably a lot like me, vouchers through their company, who I assume gets some amazing % off.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Mar 3, 2014

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

You don't owe them poo poo. I don't owe my employer anything for this, I consider it part of my salary.
Plenty of shops do make you sign something saying that you do in fact owe them a certain amount of time before leaving after they pay for training, so

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Sub Rosa posted:

Plenty of shops do make you sign something saying that you do in fact owe them a certain amount of time before leaving after they pay for training, so

Some do, some don't. My last job wanted to send me to Powershell training. I went. I quit about six months after. They had some kind of lock-in agreement with New Horizons for all of the large IT department (like 80 people) and it was use or lose.

My first job, though - they would pay for a relevant grad or bachelor's degree but they had a price scheme where if you left, X amount (decreases per year) is owed back to them.

But yeah, if the Stanly class doesn't come up with your number in the waitlist (I'd email jkennedy@stanly.edu once you sign up so you know when you come up), there's one at CCT&I online. I think it was $1500ish... cheaper than the others, but still not Stanly's kickin' $185. http://www.cccti.edu/vmware/

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
Yeah it's the whole take training and then immediately resign thing... I'm not interested in burning bridges. Further, when I do training of my own accord I use it as a chance for pay discussions - I never tell them I've done xyz unless I can see a benefit i.e. that new big client requires this cert, hey look at that I have that already, let's talk about my increased pay. Etc.

I had no idea that the Stanley course was so cheap. Honestly though, it's less about the money and more about the whole attendance thing - I intend to go through all the material but I would much rather watch pre-recorded videos than have to log in at a certain time for a real class, which frankly is bullshit.

I like stuff
Oct 12, 2012
Another newbie who's curious on how helpful a TS/SCI is in northern Virginia. No IT experience, but I'm planning to study for and eventually take the Comptia A+, Network+, and Security+ exams

Assuming I get those 3 certs what would I realistically be looking at employment wise (type of job, salary) in NOVA when paired with my security clearance?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

I like stuff posted:

Another newbie who's curious on how helpful a TS/SCI is in northern Virginia. No IT experience, but I'm planning to study for and eventually take the Comptia A+, Network+, and Security+ exams

Assuming I get those 3 certs what would I realistically be looking at employment wise (type of job, salary) in NOVA when paired with my security clearance?

It's a key for many many many jobs; A+, N+ and S+ are good; S+ is required for decent government jobs. However I'd go MCTS(desktop or server), N+, and S+.

Salary, Probably 80 and up, just realize that cost of living adjusts to that 80k+ so, 80K in NoVA my equate to 45-50k at a moderate cost of living state.

I like stuff
Oct 12, 2012

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

It's a key for many many many jobs; A+, N+ and S+ are good; S+ is required for decent government jobs. However I'd go MCTS(desktop or server), N+, and S+.

Salary, Probably 80 and up, just realize that cost of living adjusts to that 80k+ so, 80K in NoVA my equate to 45-50k at a moderate cost of living state.

Thanks for the info. Even with cost of living 80+ seems pretty high for someone like me who would have certs but no experience.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Unlikely if he has no experience; 55-60k on the high end. There are very few TS/SCI helpdesk jobs, although there are a couple here and there, most are network/sysadmin type jobs, so after a few years he can expect to be making fat stacks, but not right away.

You can find plenty of helpdesk jobs that require a secret. Those will generally pay in the 45-55k neighborhood.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

psydude posted:

Unlikely if he has no experience; 55-60k on the high end. There are very few TS/SCI helpdesk jobs, although there are a couple here and there, most are network/sysadmin type jobs, so after a few years he can expect to be making fat stacks, but not right away.

You can find plenty of helpdesk jobs that require a secret. Those will generally pay in the 45-55k neighborhood.

Very true, I was just gauging from the TS/SCI meant some experience, since most people don't get that without a company paying for it.

Granted tS/SCI doesn't mean it was IT but eh.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Very true, I was just gauging from the TS/SCI meant some experience, since most people don't get that without a company paying for it.

Granted tS/SCI doesn't mean it was IT but eh.

More often than not it means former military, which can mean any number of things.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I am going to ask you guys a question that only I can answer myself. Yet I can't decide.

My end goal is the 2012 MCSE. This will happen. Currently, I have 2 of 3 tests done for the 2008 MCSA. The remaining test is 70-642, universally regarded as not only the hardest, but the most irrelevant. I am having a lot of trouble getting motivated for it since I want to focus my attention on 2012.

I see two options:

1. I grow up and complete 70-642. After this, I can upgrade to a 2012 MCSA by passing 70-417. Then to an MCSE with 413 and 414. Total tests: Four.

2. I say sod it and go straight to 2012, completing 70-410 411 412 413 and 414. Total tests: Five.

Which should I do?

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
If it won't take too long (however inconvenient) to get I would go for the first route, getting your 2008 first. That way you can put down on your CV that you have an MCSA at least, and 2008 is still widely relevent.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
I'm in the same situation and I'm going for 2008 first because of the reason stayed above, also I'm way way more familiar with 2008 than 2012 and I feel that will be helpful.

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
For CCNA, is it really necessary to get a lab put together? Are there any other sources that I can practice IOS commands and other test necessary skills on?

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

All we know is... he's called The Stig.
No, it's not. There's multiple simulators like Packet Tracer from Cisco or this one from Odom http://www.amazon.com/Routing-Switching-200-120-Network-Simulator/dp/0789750880/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394064763&sr=8-1

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
Don't get me wrong a lab would be cool, they all seem pricey though. I have access to a bunch of old Cisco crap at work, but I don't know if its what I what need. I think a simulator would be the best way to go. Although for Packet Tracer, you need to be a member of Cisco's networking academy or something to get it.

Assuming I could scrounge together some equipment from work. What would be considered a basic lab setup that I could use to study with? All these pre-built lab kit websites seem to be way overpriced and overkill in whats needed.

Frag Viper fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 6, 2014

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Frag Viper posted:

Don't get me wrong a lab would be cool, they all seem pricey though. I have access to a bunch of old Cisco crap at work, but I don't know if its what I what need. I think a simulator would be the best way to go. Although for Packet Tracer, you need to be a member of Cisco's networking academy or something to get it.

Assuming I could scrounge together some equipment from work. What would be considered a basic lab setup that I could use to study with? All these pre-built lab kit websites seem to be way overpriced and overkill in whats needed.

Usually those books come with packet tracer on a CD, you just don't get updates.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

If it won't take too long (however inconvenient) to get I would go for the first route, getting your 2008 first. That way you can put down on your CV that you have an MCSA at least, and 2008 is still widely relevent.

Swink posted:

I'm in the same situation and I'm going for 2008 first because of the reason stayed above, also I'm way way more familiar with 2008 than 2012 and I feel that will be helpful.
Hey I'm no goon in a well, I know good advice when I hear it. I think you're both right, I'd be better served staying buckled down on 70-642 than jumping to 2012. Thanks for chiming in.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Vaccuss posted:

Hello all,
I would like to know what you all recommend in the way of databasing certs. Quick overview is that I am nearly finished an education degree (I.T major) but due to availability I was not able to pick up any database subjects and it is an area I will need to teach.

I have looked at the MS SQL path in the OP but I was wondering if that teaches the database design entity/relationship mapping(?) concepts.

What level are you teaching? If you're teaching high school, nobody will need to know anything past basic joins, which you can teach yourself in a few hours. If it's higher level, you probably just want to teach straight from a real textbook.

The industry certs focus largely on syntax and have very little in the way of design.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Frag Viper posted:

Go to here

He lays out various topographies, explaining in general terms what you could accomplish. Just select the equipment you want, and this site can spit out some general options about which features are available at that time.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
The A+ book I ordered (Sybex) mentions something called Strata IT Fundamentals that's supposedly a base that the A+ stuff builds off of. I don't see it in the OP anywhere so I figure it's not worth worrying about?

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Chief Savage Man posted:

The A+ book I ordered (Sybex) mentions something called Strata IT Fundamentals that's supposedly a base that the A+ stuff builds off of. I don't see it in the OP anywhere so I figure it's not worth worrying about?

I literally cannot imagine what could be more fundamental or introductory than A+. I'm sure you'll be fine.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

sudo rm -rf posted:

I literally cannot imagine what could be more fundamental or introductory than A+. I'm sure you'll be fine.
A member of my extended family recently posted about how they were able to earn a diploma (note: not even a 'degree') online in less than an hour in C because they took BASIC in school 30 years ago. So there's that.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Alright didn't think so, just figured I would check. This book is great, has all the objectives laid out so it gives me plenty of direction to start my study. Wish me luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!
You can safely practice CCNA without the existence of a lab. There's really nothing gained via touching physical equipment that the CCNA covers within its scope. But if you really need to scratch that itch, physical labs can be had for 3-400 on ebay. Some are good, some are not. Stay away from the 2500 series routers.

Is there a good website that lists an example of a solid, but somewhat complicated explanation of route-maps (even prefix-lists) that people can use? My google-fu is bringing up tons of sites on GPS units, and rightfully so, but I need to brush up on that, as well as EIGRP/OSPF route summarizaton.

Thanks to all for your help so far.