Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Jesus Christ.

Those of you yet to play through FFV: Never, ever even think about venturing into the final dungeon without any Holy Water. One of my characters got Zombied on the last floor, just before the Necrophobe battle. I had to walk all the way out of the last area and Teleport back to the world map. To make matters worse is that she was holding a Wonder Rod, which casts a random spell when attacked with.

Holy gently caress this entire grind is pissing me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
It's been years since I played FFV, but I remember not liking it too much. Then again this was before an official english version was out, so it's been a while. I don't really get the appeal, but I should probably play it again.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

kalonZombie posted:

It's been years since I played FFV, but I remember not liking it too much. Then again this was before an official english version was out, so it's been a while. I don't really get the appeal, but I should probably play it again.

A hobo, a princess, an old man with memory problems and a pirate team up to save the world from an evil tree. Also, the first iteration of the Job System that lets you mix and match skills from different jobs.

If that doesn't sound appealing to you, I don't know what to tell you. :shrug:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mak0rz posted:

Jesus Christ.

Those of you yet to play through FFV: Never, ever even think about venturing into the final dungeon without any Holy Water. One of my characters got Zombied on the last floor, just before the Necrophobe battle. I had to walk all the way out of the last area and Teleport back to the world map. To make matters worse is that she was holding a Wonder Rod, which casts a random spell when attacked with.

If you had to Grind in FF5 you hosed up somewhere.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Mak0rz posted:

Jesus Christ.

There's a save point in the castle area, in the bottom left prison cell.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Also, bringing a stock of restorative items into the final dungeon is kinda RPG 101. I've forgotten to do it myself, but it's not like getting hit with nasty statuses at the end of the game is unique to FF5.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

If you had to Grind in FF5 you hosed up somewhere.

I mean the grind (i.e. tedium) of going through the final dungeon :geno:

kalonZombie posted:

I tried the RPGe SFC version many times and got nowhere, but the GBA version is okay I guess. The game would be bland as hell if it weren't for the job mechanics, though. The only interesting characters are the villain's right-hand man and a god drat turtle. The only protagonist I consider even remotely likable dies partway through the game. Otherwise the dialogue, plot, and character personalities are about as engaging and sensible as those in Final Fantasy II (the Famicom game). I guess most of the team's focus went into the battle mechanics and job system, because all of that is stellar.

EDIT:

Saigyouji posted:

There's a save point in the castle area, in the bottom left prison cell.

:confused: I know that, but how would it have helped me at all?

Schwartzcough posted:

Also, bringing a stock of restorative items into the final dungeon is kinda RPG 101. I've forgotten to do it myself, but it's not like getting hit with nasty statuses at the end of the game is unique to FF5.

Yeah, but the unique thing about Zombie is that it's the only status ailment that cannot be cured by magic. Holy Water and only Holy Water can cure it, so it's easy to overlook remembering to stock up on it, especially considering how uncommon the Zombie status tends to be.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 2, 2014

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Don't tents cure status ailments?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Vanderdeath posted:

Screw that. Make it Valkyrie Profile 3: Lezard. He's the true protagonist of the series as far as I'm concerned.

I don't know, "you are a creepy guy who is stalking a girl who has made it very clear she's not interested" probably isn't a fantastical enough proposition for most people who play video games.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

1st AD posted:

Don't tents cure status ailments?

Not Zombie! :sun:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

The only protagonist I consider even remotely likable dies partway through the game.

Look buddy, if you don't like the cross-dressing pirate I don't think we can be friends.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Livingtrope posted:

Look buddy, if you don't like the cross-dressing pirate I don't think we can be friends.

I don't know if you've played FFV Advance at all, but they completely killed Faris' pirate accent in that version :v:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
She still has the soul of a pirate and this is what matters, namaste

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Wow, you guys weren't kidding about the difficulty of FFIV. I've never had this much trouble getting through a Final Fantasy before. Most bosses I'm having to fight 3 or 4 times, and even then I only just scrape through to win. Sometimes it's not even a level problem, but just that the AI is really unfair - for example, when you fight Golbez in the dwarf castle after the marionettes (which are hard as hell too), Rydia swings in to help. The problem is that she only has like 500 HP, which Golbez can wipe out in two spells. Given how long it takes Rydia to summon anything, she's usually dead before she can cast the spell.

I'm still enjoying it, but surprised at how tough the game is. Might have been an idea to add a 'beginner mode' in addition to the 'easy' and 'hard' modes. I shudder to think how ball-breakingly difficult the latter is.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

ozza posted:

Wow, you guys weren't kidding about the difficulty of FFIV. I've never had this much trouble getting through a Final Fantasy before. Most bosses I'm having to fight 3 or 4 times, and even then I only just scrape through to win. Sometimes it's not even a level problem, but just that the AI is really unfair - for example, when you fight Golbez in the dwarf castle after the marionettes (which are hard as hell too), Rydia swings in to help. The problem is that she only has like 500 HP, which Golbez can wipe out in two spells. Given how long it takes Rydia to summon anything, she's usually dead before she can cast the spell.

I'm still enjoying it, but surprised at how tough the game is. Might have been an idea to add a 'beginner mode' in addition to the 'easy' and 'hard' modes. I shudder to think how ball-breakingly difficult the latter is.

When I played FFIV on GBA I found it really, really easy right up until the Moon.

The Moon is where the game really stops loving around.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Excels posted:

When I played FFIV on GBA I found it really, really easy right up until the Moon.

The Moon is where the game really stops loving around.

I may be in trouble

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Yeah, I played the PSP version of the game, which is basically the GBA version but with slightly better graphics, and the moon is where I hit my first brick wall, too. Eventually though, you'll get through it.

Then you'll do the bonus dungeons. :getin:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ImpAtom posted:

It tells you that you get Augments from characters who leave and, combined with what I said, it becomes very simple to understand how you get bonus Augments. It isn't a complex thing you need a guide for. They are also entirely unnecessary because the missable augments are insanely overpowered poo poo, not things you need to finish the game. It's like going "This game is poo poo, it didn't tell me that this random dinosaur in a forest drops an item that makes all magic cost 1 MP!"

It's great that you think people will just magically guess that to get abilities of people who leave you need to give them augments first, but it's not. Telling people "these are permanent choices so don't gently caress it up" and expecting them to know that they need to essentially throw away augments to try and get others is unrealistic as hell. That "combined with what you said" makes it simple is completely irrelevant unless a clone of you was given out with every copy and I just didn't get mine. Square Enix did a poo poo job of letting people know something as basic as "to get some augments requires giving augments to others first" and the only way you'll figure it out is with trial and error or looking it up online. Sunning is absolutely correct that the mechanics for getting augments is hidden. Even the information that you're given, the information you quoted, is incomplete and anyone who reads it has absolutely no idea that by 'sometimes' they actually meant 'always as long as you give the right amount of augments.'

Excels posted:

So which Final Fantasy is your personal favorite, goons?

Secret of Mana, or Final Fantasy 6

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

kalonZombie posted:

Then you'll do the bonus dungeons. :getin:

Not if he's playing the regular DS remake he won't; those wonderful examples of low effort bonus content were removed from that one! :v:

A remade version of the Lunar Ruins was added to the iOS and Android versions though. So, uh, that's something I guess.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

Not if he's playing the regular DS remake he won't; those wonderful examples of low effort bonus content were removed from that one! :v:

For the better, I suppose. It kinda sucked aside from one or two of the character's trials anyway.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

Not Zombie! :sun:

You'd think they wouldn't be OK with setting camp for the night with Lenna all moaning and chewing on their skulls.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Wait, I need to change my vote! FFV is my second favourite, my true favourite Final Fantasy is Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's great that you think people will just magically guess that to get abilities of people who leave you need to give them augments first, but it's not. Telling people "these are permanent choices so don't gently caress it up" and expecting them to know that they need to essentially throw away augments to try and get others is unrealistic as hell. That "combined with what you said" makes it simple is completely irrelevant unless a clone of you was given out with every copy and I just didn't get mine. Square Enix did a poo poo job of letting people know something as basic as "to get some augments requires giving augments to others first" and the only way you'll figure it out is with trial and error or looking it up online. Sunning is absolutely correct that the mechanics for getting augments is hidden. Even the information that you're given, the information you quoted, is incomplete and anyone who reads it has absolutely no idea that by 'sometimes' they actually meant 'always as long as you give the right amount of augments.'

They are hidden in that you won't get them obviously and directly. The method to get them is just "give augments to characters who leave." That's it. It is not complex and it is only specific hidden augments. I mentioned in a post prior to Sunning's exactly how you get those specific Augments and saying that you need a guide or that it is super-obtuse is ridiculous because it isn't. It can literally be explained in a sentence.

I do not see how this is different from countless other hidden items throughout the series. To use another FF6 example, there is a hidden and missable set of choices you can make in FF6 which gets you a Genji Glove incredibly early in the game. It is unlikely you'll find this without a guide or prior knowledge it is there. FF9 has several items which have insanely obtuse requirements including finishing the game in under 12 hours. It's certainly worth mentioning but I don't think anyone really considers it a major flaw in the respective games.

You still get a wide selection of Augments in FFIVDS without getting these hidden ones. The subsystem as a whole tosses a bunch of items and abilities at you, more than enough to make every character crazy powerful. The only thing you are missing is super-overpowered spell boosters. It's perfectly fair to say "this is pretty obscure and you'll probably miss it without prior knowledge," but saying it is "an entire subsystem based around FFXII's Zodiac Spear invisible triggers" is pretty drat hyperbole.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 2, 2014

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

My best FF is 7. :v: It isn't reaching a high bar to begin with and the translation is a piece of crap, but I blame Elentor's ongoing LP for really bringing out what there is to appreciate. It's got this perfect blend of stuff that works perfectly in context, and stuff that hilariously doesn't, which makes it just fun overall.

Close after is 6 and 9, and 14:ARR might be somewhere up there too.

The White Dragon posted:

1) Toss-up between FF9 and Lost Odyssey

C'mon man, when the hell you gonna LP Lost Odyssey

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mazed posted:

I'm in the middle of some fairly heavy poo poo at the moment and kind of have been for the past two years but maybe once I'm done, I can get an HD capture device and start up A THOUSAND PAGES OF POSTS: LET'S PLAY LOST ODYSSEY. I've learned that projected release dates aren't that reliable, though, so I'm just gonna say it's in the cards but I don't know when.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Aww no worries. If it does happen it'll be a fine thing indeed. It's always apparent when someone LPs a game they're completely and thoroughly into, though the "lets make fun of this ridiculous hunk of crap" LPs will always have their place.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
My favourite is IX. I've beaten it probably 15-16 times at this point, and it usually happens at least once a year. Reading through the thread kind of makes me want to start another one, but I don't honestly have time at the moment. Everything about the game just makes me :allears:

After that, it's probably Tactics. Any game that lets me kill an enemy by throwing a dictionary at it. Plus, everything else about it, aside from me not knowing how to use phoenix downs by that Dorter Trade City fight.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Mazed posted:

My best FF is 7. :v: It isn't reaching a high bar to begin with and the translation is a piece of crap, but I blame Elentor's ongoing LP for really bringing out what there is to appreciate. It's got this perfect blend of stuff that works perfectly in context, and stuff that hilariously doesn't, which makes it just fun overall.

Close after is 6 and 9, and 14:ARR might be somewhere up there too.

Round table of dramatic readings of each written section, edited videos for dungeons and cutscenes.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ImpAtom posted:

They are hidden in that you won't get them obviously and directly. The method to get them is just "give augments to characters who leave." That's it. It is not complex and it is only specific hidden augments. I mentioned in a post prior to Sunning's exactly how you get those specific Augments and saying that you need a guide or that it is super-obtuse is ridiculous because it isn't. It can literally be explained in a sentence.

I do not see how this is different from countless other hidden items throughout the series. To use another FF6 example, there is a hidden and missable set of choices you can make in FF6 which gets you a Genji Glove incredibly early in the game. It is unlikely you'll find this without a guide or prior knowledge it is there. FF9 has several items which have insanely obtuse requirements including finishing the game in under 12 hours. It's certainly worth mentioning but I don't think anyone really considers it a major flaw in the respective games.

You still get a wide selection of Augments in FFIVDS without getting these hidden ones. The subsystem as a whole tosses a bunch of items and abilities at you, more than enough to make every character crazy powerful. The only thing you are missing is super-overpowered spell boosters. It's perfectly fair to say "this is pretty obscure and you'll probably miss it without prior knowledge," but saying it is "an entire subsystem based around FFXII's Zodiac Spear invisible triggers" is pretty drat hyperbole.

The FF6 example isn't the same. One, it's not the only way you can get a Genji Glove, as is the case with augments in FFIVDS, and two, it's not a series of choices, it's just one and then talking to the dudes in the base. I found it on my second playthrough when it first came out, because I wanted to see what NPCs would say if I did the other choice there, as I usually do in a second run. Having weird hidden things is something they've done before, but FFIVDS is beyond the pale in exactly the same way as the Zodiac Spear: the reward is something you cannot get anywhere else and it is essentially impossible to find out about it on your own.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

The FF6 example isn't the same. One, it's not the only way you can get a Genji Glove, as is the case with augments in FFIVDS, and two, it's not a series of choices, it's just one and then talking to the dudes in the base. I found it on my second playthrough when it first came out, because I wanted to see what NPCs would say if I did the other choice there, as I usually do in a second run. Having weird hidden things is something they've done before, but FFIVDS is beyond the pale in exactly the same way as the Zodiac Spear: the reward is something you cannot get anywhere else and it is essentially impossible to find out about it on your own.

The only 'choice' is giving an Augment to a person. That's it. It isn't 'essential impossible to find on your own." In fact someone who has never played the game before is more likely to find it because they don't have prior knowledge about who leaves the party and so are more likely to give an augment to a character prior to them leaving the party, which it turn gets them a bonus augment when that character does. This is not complex or out there. It just involves giving a power up item to a character.

To use a different FF6 example: The only way you get to keep Shadow is a character is if you intentionally run down the clock on a timed dungeon after reaching the end. The only time a hint pops up is after you already turn down the chance to leave the dungeon. ("Gotta wait for Shadow..." only shows up once you've rejected the chance to jump off once.) This is a permanently missable character. Or again, a bunch of the stuff in FF9, or all sorts of other things which are hidden and can't be replaced in all sorts of Final Fantasy games. There are tons of items, both powerful and meaningless, which are hidden and have obscure unlock requirements.

I'm not denying that it is something that can be missed or that it is something that players don't need to be warned about in advance. I'm saying that it feels a bit silly to go "this is impossible to find" for something like that when we're talking about a franchise where a character has to be unlocked by taking your entire party to a random island and letting them all be seemingly 'killed' by the enemy that is encountered there. I'm not trying to argue that it's a great design decision even, but it sure as heck isn't one unique to Final Fantasy 4 DS. (or even unique to Final Fantasy games in general. Looking at you, Tales franchise.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Mar 2, 2014

spiff_dedalus
Jul 15, 2004
The best-laid plans of mice and men go oft awry.

That loving Sned posted:

Just be glad she didn't see a cutscene with Vanille in it.

She said she thought her little victory dance was cute.

These are some thoughts I have about this game, now nearing the end of the post game poo poo, so if you're uninterested in rehashing the same poo poo about a 4 year old game, just a heads up.

I never bothered to read about the development of FFXIII, but it seems pretty apparent how poorly they managed to follow through with, what I thought, were pretty cool ideas. I like the battle system, for the most part, and I like the way you're taught the different aspects of the battle system, as the game follows different pairings of characters. But, nearing the end of the post game stuff, it's pretty disappointing how the different roles and paradigms end up working out.

I think that might be partly to do with what, otherwise, also seems on paper like a good idea, which is that the AI of your party makes choices based on the conditions of the fight. So, sure, now you have a reason for the player to care what status effects or elemental weaknesses to keep in mind, but then the AI just spams that poo poo without thought, so really all you're being rewarded for is casting Libra. Some characters have access to different abilities, but by the time you actually need to consider which characters to use for which situations, you're already nearing the point where it doesn't even matter. And, on that note, there are more role abilities than the player ever even needs to give a poo poo about. I know the Sentinel has several unique abilities, but I don't really give a poo poo, because as long as some combination of those abilities lets them soak damage and aggro, I can just let the game micromanage it. There were fights in the game that felt exciting, rapidly swapping between paradigms in response to the patterns of the enemy, but most fights I find myself button mashing, which is insane because you don't even have to push the button more than once.

Upgrading weapons and accessories is up its own rear end, and while I appreciate that it provides you a means of tailoring your characters to different roles, its obtuse and expensive enough to be more frustrating than anything else. Most of the accessories are a lot like the role options: they give you the impression that even specifics like your character's resistance to deprotect or whatever is going to be important, but it never really does. Streamlining the stores seems like a good idea, given the nature of the game, but then they're only really places for you to buy the poo poo you otherwise should have found in some obvious alcove somewhere (and then the exception to this, the stores that sell components and catalysts, are both unnecessarily complicated and expensive).

As far as the game's linearity goes, I find it disappointing, but mostly because of the things I already mentioned. Linearity, in itself, I just sort of assume to be par for the course in most jRPGs. I liked a lot of the Gran Pulse stuff, and was actually pretty surprised at just how much I missed on my first play through, but now I'm at the point where the only thing that's left to do is grind catalysts and Gil, and there's no way I can spin that as a positive thing.

And, this is just me, but I like the characters, except for Hope (and Fang is pretty bland).

So, I guess, it's pretty obvious I wasn't that excited about FFXIII-2 or I'd have played it by now, but I was kind of hoping it would fix some of these things, but skimming this thread, it seems like I'm probably best left not getting my hopes up.

EDIT: This does make me want to play Lost Odyssey again though. Can I count that on my list of favourite Final Fantasy games?

spiff_dedalus fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Mar 2, 2014

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

The White Dragon posted:

I'm in the middle of some fairly heavy poo poo at the moment and kind of have been for the past two years but maybe once I'm done, I can get an HD capture device and start up A THOUSAND PAGES OF POSTS: LET'S PLAY LOST ODYSSEY. I've learned that projected release dates aren't that reliable, though, so I'm just gonna say it's in the cards but I don't know when.

Hey man, I just want to tell you that I love your SO2 LP, thank you for making it

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I'd say VII has the best story, though everyone forgets what that story actually is, and why it's so good. And X-2 or XIII have the best battle system, with X-2 probably snatching that one.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Number 1 with a bullet: TWEWY

This is the secret right answer here though.

e: Totally missed a page there...

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I don't think I even used Augments in FFIV DS. The ones you get early on are lame so I never used them and then that meant I didn't get the ones you get later on.

It's a pretty optional system to be complaining about not using, anyway.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Excels posted:

So which Final Fantasy is your personal favorite, goons?

Xenogears - The REAL Final Fantasy VII.

But other than that...Final Fantasy XII probably. It definitely has problems, and it doesn't feature my favorite playable cast in an FF game, but all of those are overwhelmed by:
1. I love te gameplay to death. I can wander around Ivalice forever. It feels the most like an actual world that you are trekking through on a great quest.

2. while the heroic cast is weaker than some, XII's villain cast is second to none in an FF game. Dr. Cid, Gabranth, the Judges as a whole, the simple fact the Archadian Empire is the most fleshed out and believable "Evil Empire" in the series... Honestly, this is an area where XII's praise can be mixed in with its criticism since the bad guys are far more interesting and seem to accomplish a ton more than the heroes.

3. And while the playable characters are boring as a whole, the stories of Ashe and Balthier are really drat good and Ashe in particular is one of the most well-done protagonists in the series for me.

4. Voice-acting and writing as a whole. Kinda unfair since most of the games don't have VA work but whatever. Mr. Smith's localization is a thing of beauty and I could listen to Ashe and Gabranth or Dr. Cid and Balthier all day. But really, everyone ws fantastic with the exceptions of Fran and Vaan.

And a lot of other things too but those are probably the biggest reasons I love XII so much.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

To use a different FF6 example: The only way you get to keep Shadow is a character is if you intentionally run down the clock on a timed dungeon after reaching the end. The only time a hint pops up is after you already turn down the chance to leave the dungeon. ("Gotta wait for Shadow..." only shows up once you've rejected the chance to jump off once.) This is a permanently missable character. Or again, a bunch of the stuff in FF9, or all sorts of other things which are hidden and can't be replaced in all sorts of Final Fantasy games. There are tons of items, both powerful and meaningless, which are hidden and have obscure unlock requirements.

This is different because the FF4 thing is completely metagame stuff, while the FF6 thing makes perfect sense in the context of what's happening. The only way you get to keep Shadow as a character is if you wait for him to escape from the island instead of leaving him for dead. You may not expect it as a gamer-man playing a JRPG, but it makes sense. It's an interactive game mechanic that synergizes with the plot. Final Fantasy games could use more of that.

I don't really think the FF4 DS thing is damning, though, and "it's a choice with unclear permanent consequences" is a lousy reason to poo poo on something happening in a game by itself.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

This is different because the FF4 thing is completely metagame stuff, while the FF6 thing makes perfect sense in the context of what's happening. The only way you get to keep Shadow as a character is if you wait for him to escape from the island instead of leaving him for dead. You may not expect it as a gamer-man playing a JRPG, but it makes sense. It's an interactive game mechanic that synergizes with the plot. Final Fantasy games could use more of that..

I can keep bringing up examples, including purely mechanical ones. It's sort of besides the point.

It is unarguably a secret, but the idea that it is a secret which is immensely hidden and utterly impossible to discover is silly. The Zodiac Spear stands out for what it is because it is basically the definition of "look in the guide." It is literally not something you can discover by random chance and requires absolute foreknowledge to get. (That or being immensely lucky with the other chest that drops the spear at something like a .1% drop rate, which technically makes it possible but not without immensely good rolls of the dice.) FF12 has a fair bit of stuff like that, it's just largely nothing as obscenely ridiculous as the Zodiac Spear.

The hidden Auguments, in comparison, are hidden but nowhere near that undiscovered. Even if video game guides did not exist at any point, it's pretty much assured someone would have discovered that they exist because the unlock requirement is just 'give an augment to a character who leaves the party." As far as video game secrets go, that's not exactly a deep complex riddle or completely obscure and undiscoverable. In fact, if anything, it is less so because it is completely 100% under the player's control. There is no fiddling with random drops (unlike, say, the god damned Pink Tail) or anything like that.

It's unarguably annoying to realize you permanently missed an item or something but for the reputation it has gotten you'd think it was something way bigger than it is. It isn't particularly unique for the FF franchise, let alone for RPGs as a whole. It's certainly worth pointing out to a newcomer to the game (as is how this whole thing started) but I think the level of confusion and complexity involved with it has gotten way overhyped.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Mar 3, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ironically, I'm pretty sure those augments were introduced as a way to *prevent* the player from feeling screwed over. It's when you game it by having advance knowledge of the plot that you prevent yourself from getting them.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The RNG manipulation trick to guaranteeing a Zodiac Spear in that chest is almost as bullshitty and random as the intended method of getting one.
Everything about the ZS sucks, and it's not much better than the other top tier weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Just finished replaying FFX and X-2 and I wonder if anyone has recommendations of games that play similarly to FFX? I really liked the passive action combat system that wasn't terrible and I don't really like the ATB style FF games. The story was at least moderately engrossing and I loved the sphere grid(but classic leveling up is okay too). Anything with a combat system similar to Tales of Symphonia are also acceptable. (Also is there anything similar to tactics on the PC or PS2 or Wii?

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Mar 3, 2014