Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

802.11weed posted:

you guys wanna see some really fuckin janky electronic hack?

no idea how it survived the bumpy 50km ride home & still worked for months .. replaced it but now somethin else is hosed because of (less janky) hacks just expiring i guess

I don't understand what's happening here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

capcom pinball used surface-mounted everything and someone hacked socketed chips onto where the surface-mounted... something goes. this makes certain chips (like the LM339s that are part of the switch matrix, I think i see an LM part number on one of those) unreliable. capcom didn't have any pinball experience (williams and bally had their own designs forever, data east ripped off williams for their board, sega bought data east pinball and evolved that board set, stern got the corpse of sega pinball and evolved that board set)

so they made really stupid design decisions such as high scores saved onto a surface-mounted zero-power ram chip instead of battery-backed sram, small-gauge wire everywhere, electrolytic caps too big to be mounted vertically, etc.

quote:

The switch matrix board also has another problem, the use of surface mount LM339 chips.

Surface mount chips makes the switch matrix board much smaller and cheaper to manufacturer. But surface mount in pinball is strickly a no-no. The problem is vibration. Eventually the switch matrix LM339 chips start to delaminate from the board, giving reliability problems.

The LM339 chips that are most problematic are the ones towards the edges of the switch matrix board. These are the ones that delaminate first. By "delaminate", I mean the solder cracks that holds the chips to the board (the chips don't actually fall off the board!) This makes the chips intermittent (or at worst, not work at all).

"Regular" pinball circuit boards use double-sided, plated-thru holes. This means the chips actually go through the board, and are soldered on both sides of the board (because capilary action sucks the solder through the circuit board's plated-thru holes). This is a much better design as the chips are held to the board with a better physical connection. Single side boards and surface mount boards don't have the same good physical bond, and will have reliability problems with age.

So what we have here is a switch matrix nightmare. And there is no easy way out of this. Oh and did I mention that the switch board is mounted very low in the head, making switch diagnostics very difficult!

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 2, 2014

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i wrote a python script to crawl through sa and download all the attachments to try to find something i can get an ik to switch to my av, but it takes far too long and multi threading doesnt seem to work too well

Apr 7, 2003

Valeyard posted:

i wrote a python script to crawl through sa and download all the attachments to try to find something i can get an ik to switch to my av, but it takes far too long and multi threading doesnt seem to work too well

I don't understand what any of this means.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

a Very Bad Thing

Apr 7, 2003

My dad would have understood. He did all that electronics stuff, and died impoverished at 46.

Dec 26, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

someone wired up a square peg to fit in a round hole

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

a Very Bad Thing

a matter of persepective

he made which shouldnt have worked, work. that is always the greatestr

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

echinopsis posted:

he made which shouldnt have worked, work. that is always the greatestr

steve

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets

Doc Block posted:

So after the whole thing where the diode on my fume extractor was too hot to touch, I bought the biggest diode I could find on Jameco. A handful of them arrived in the mail today.

From looking at the data sheet I knew it'd be big, but holy poo poo it's huge. Those leads are about 1mm in diameter. According to the data sheet this bigass bastard will do 6 amps continuous current at room temperature.

(those are vanilla 1N4007s on the left)

i have a bunch of those that i bought for some project years ago and haven't got around to putting together yet. i have no idea what the project was.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
The Humungous Diode Project

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

01011001 posted:

quick and dirty pcb for giant babbys based on my half-baked memories of my packaging class 2 years ago:

-take some copper cladded board and ferric chloride from radio shack
-draw traces with a sharpie. there are less lovely ways to do this like printing the pattern from eagle on magazine paper and ironing on but gently caress it, point is ink-on-copper
-dip that poo poo in the ferric chloride for whatever listed amount of time it is, i dont fuckin remember. when ur done put some baking soda in that poo poo so it doesnt gently caress up everything wherever you dispose of it
-drill, baby, drill

any of you knowledgable fuckos feel free to add/correct

-dont do your etching in an aluminum pan liner because ferric chloride+aluminum->exothermic reaction and the resulting heat makes the next bit of the reaction go faster and faster and pretty soon you've got a tub of boiling chemicals spitting crap all over and emitting a cloud of toxic fumes and you have to run the gently caress out of the garage and stand in the driveway waiting for things to clear out while wondering if the chlorine gas is gonna gently caress up your tools and/or car (spoiler: it did not)

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets

Dr. Honked posted:

The Humungous Diode Project

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

PDP-1 posted:

-dont do your etching in an aluminum pan liner because ferric chloride+aluminum->exothermic reaction and the resulting heat makes the next bit of the reaction go faster and faster and pretty soon you've got a tub of boiling chemicals spitting crap all over and emitting a cloud of toxic fumes and you have to run the gently caress out of the garage and stand in the driveway waiting for things to clear out while wondering if the chlorine gas is gonna gently caress up your tools and/or car (spoiler: it did not)

Dec 26, 2012

PDP-1 posted:

whoa, poo poo

yeah dont do that

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Also, don't dump that poo poo down a stainless steel sink.

Apr 7, 2003

Doc Block posted:

Oh yeah, that reminds me of high school chemistry when our teacher would tell us to just dump lead chromate down the sink.

Dec 26, 2012

Doc Block posted:

yeah i mean the baking soda should help with most of that but most likely not nearly enough to make your nice stainless steel sink not suddenly a shithole

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
i just did my first etch a few weeks ago and i just ran the faucet while dumping it down. I only used like 2 oz in a ziplock bag, so a few cups of water is going to dilute it to nothing, right?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

don't dilute it you fool, you'll only make it stronger!

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

quadpus posted:

i just did my first etch a few weeks ago and i just ran the faucet while dumping it down. I only used like 2 oz in a ziplock bag, so a few cups of water is going to dilute it to nothing, right?

depending on what chemical you're using, it can be saved and reused a few times. just dump it back into a sealed plastic container (not the original bottle, though, since you want to keep that at full strength).

if you do save it for reuse, LABEL THE gently caress OUT OF THAT CONTAINER, AND DON'T STORE IT NEAR FOOD. ESPECIALLY DO NOT STORE IT ABOVE FOOD, IN CASE THE CONTAINER LEAKS.

as to whether or not you diluted it enough, v:shobon:v. I haven't messed with PCB etching since high school.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 3, 2014

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Citizen Tayne posted:

Oh yeah, that reminds me of high school chemistry when our teacher would tell us to just dump lead chromate down the sink.

people bring us drugs to dispose of but we just pour them down the sink

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.
You are even allowed to dump radioactive materials down the drain if you dilute it enough, for example scintillation solutions.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
yeah when i was first told to just dump formaldehyde down the sink with a bunch of water i was appalled

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
welp there are auto shops that just dump old oil down the drain

im sure a lil bit of formaldehyde pales in compairson

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Trig Discipline posted:

yeah when i was first told to just dump formaldehyde down the sink with a bunch of water i was appalled

formaldehyde breaks down in sunlight so diluting and dumping it is probably the best possible option

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
welp, guess ive found my new idiot spare time project

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i have way too much faith in our water treatment infrastructure

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

i've often thought about building one of those but they really have no use

i guess "novelty sun lamp"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

bizarre, i never thought of deuterium as an explosive gas, but of course it's just hydrogen

radioactive hydrogen :unsmigghh:

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
if you've got a vacuum pump + high voltage supply lying around a farnsworth fusor is p simple to set up iirc

v pretty too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38xVBd60yas&feature=youtu.be&t=48s

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
let's be honest, that guy just wanted to set the curve on instructables

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
apart from tell people you built a fusion reactor, does it have any actual use?

ive been wanting to use unity to do something for a while but can nnever settle on a good idea

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Jonny 290 posted:

let's be honest, that guy just wanted to set the curve on instructables

the whole thing reads like that troy mclure diy foundation repair video from the simpsons. “Now, do you have extruded polyvinyl foam insulation?” "No." "Good. Assemble the aluminum J-channel using self-furring screws. Install." "Wait a minute—" "…you’ll need corrosion-resistant metal stucco lath." "Wait a minute!" "Now parge the lath."

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

Valeyard posted:

apart from tell people you built a fusion reactor, does it have any actual use?
nope

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 12:25 on May 12, 2015

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

coffeetable posted:

nope

hopefully i wont regret linkin this on yospos, but here's what i did w/ unity

http://andyljones.github.io/pages/shallow-water-model/

p to pause
lmb to rotate
rmb to zoom
up arrow/down arrow to manipulate the height field

hi andy! :tipshat:

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

hi

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

coffeetable posted:

nope

hopefully i wont regret linkin this on yospos, but here's what i did w/ unity

http://andyljones.github.io/pages/shallow-water-model/

p to pause
lmb to rotate
rmb to zoom
up arrow/down arrow to manipulate the height field

needs the unity web player to run, but that's a quick install. intending to port it to chrome's native client at some point, but haven't got round to it yet.

hey that is pretty neat. i dont understand fully whats going on, but still

i know someone that is using it to make an aircraft evacuation simulation which is also pretty neat

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

updating yospos.xlsx w/ ur name ty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Valeyard posted:

i dont understand fully whats going on, but still

it is a shallow water model

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shallow_water_equations

simplest model of a planet's atmosphere there is. incompressible, inviscid fluid + gravity + coriolis. should evolve towards something like this if you leave it alone

future milestones: document it, get the CUDA backend working properly, get vertical layers working, get temperature working

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 6, 2014