Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
With the stock safety system, you basically have the seatbelt and an airbag. When you hit something head on, The seatbelt slows down your body, and the airbag slows down your head. Sitting in your car, pull the seatbelt tight and try to hit your head on the wheel. You are pretty far away. That will give you an idea of how far the stock belt stretches/extends in an accident.

With a set of harnesses strapped to a roll bar about foot behind your shoulders, there is much less belt stretch that occurs. So when you hit something, your body doesn't move a whole lot but your head still wants to snap forward, like in that video. Hit something hard enough, and you get a basal skull fracture and die. Add a hans to the mix, and now the padding inside your helmet and hans straps are stopping the forward motion of your head instead of your neck. So it is a really really good idea to get some sort of a head and neck restrait system. Many race organizations require them now, and for good reason.

To anyone who wants to complain about price, maybe you should trade in your money pit "track car" for a miata or shifter kart or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

jamal posted:

Add a hans to the mix, and now the padding inside your helmet and hans straps are stopping the forward motion of your head instead of your neck. So it is a really really good idea to get some sort of a head and neck restrait system. Many race organizations require them now, and for good reason.
If you were answering me -- they didn't require us to wear a HANS, and I understand why a HANS is important. They only required us to wear one of those donuts:
http://pyrotectstore.com/product/neck-brace-collar/

I'm just asking if DJ is saying that the collar does nothing other than keep the weight of the helmet off you head, then how is it useful as a safety device? Or is keeping the weight of the helmet off your head actually a valuable safety function? (I can believe that)

I was originally under the impression that, while not as effective as a proper HANS, the donut neckbrace thing still helped prevent neck injury in the case of an accident.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Maybe for fire protection? I don't think they do a whole lot, but I can see them slightly reducing how much the hemlet/head rotates forward.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Honestly I think the reason they haven't mandated an SFI 38.1 device is because they're expensive and grassroots racing is trying to keep the costs down. But count me among those who wouldn't get in a race car without one.

parid
Mar 18, 2004

drgitlin posted:

Honestly I think the reason they haven't mandated an SFI 38.1 device is because they're expensive and grassroots racing is trying to keep the costs down. But count me among those who wouldn't get in a race car without one.

This. The foam is to make the insurance happy. If Hans systems were in the $200 range everyone would be requiring them.

I also wouldn't get in a race car without one. My neck is worth way more than $500.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
What was the name of the trackday apps you guys use? Android or ios

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Harry's Lap Timer is the popular ios app. There is an Android version now but it doesn't have a lot of the ios features yet.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

smelly cabin filter posted:

What was the name of the trackday apps you guys use? Android or ios

I used TrackMaster last year and I'm going to give RaceChrono a spin this year. Android on a Nexus 4/5 with a Qstarz 10Hz GPS.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
How are you guys storing your extra sets of wheels/tires? I have three extra sets sitting in a giant stack in the garage, and wouldn't mind a better solution.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
So I'm running NASA HDPE tomorrow at Auto Club Speedway...and it's going to be raining. Any tips? I running new R888 that have been heat cycled, but not scrubbed in yet.

Also if it's actually raining raining, I'm sitting out the run group, because gently caress if I will drive around with my windows open for 20 minutes.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You can make a triangle shape brace, mount it on the wall and use 2 parallel pieces of metal pipe to have the wheels rest vertically.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

the poi posted:

So I'm running NASA HDPE tomorrow at Auto Club Speedway...and it's going to be raining. Any tips? I running new R888 that have been heat cycled, but not scrubbed in yet.

Also if it's actually raining raining, I'm sitting out the run group, because gently caress if I will drive around with my windows open for 20 minutes.

Full tread depth R888s will do just fine in the wet. Don't be a wuss - driving in the rain is highy educational. It brings speeds down and amplifies car control issues by a factor of 10.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SlapActionJackson posted:

Full tread depth R888s will do just fine in the wet. Don't be a wuss - driving in the rain is highy educational. It brings speeds down and amplifies car control issues by a factor of 10.

It does. On my second ever track day it rained and the car's behaviour is so different.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you're in a low horsepower car, you get to look like a driving god and pass people all day long.

My first ever W2W race (Chump car, but still) was in the rain and it was so much fun.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
Excellent. The oval might be interesting though...

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

There's a thing at buttonwillow this weekend too. Anyone going to that?

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?
So I am looking at my Sparco 6-pt harness sub-straps. They came from Sparco with the snap-on pre-wrapped with a D-ring. However, the way they came from Sparco does not match up with what Sparco or Schroth show as the proper way to wrap a D-ring around a snap-on connector.

The D-ring is too small to fit the harness through it 4 times to match the way shown in the instructions... Is the way Sparco wrapped it from the factory incorrect? I can't imagine they would wrap it from the factory incorrectly and provide a D-ring that is not possible to wrap it correctly. But, if so, I need to find some larger D-rings to wrap it per the instructions.

Here is a link to a set of Sparco instructions:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...0,d.cGU&cad=rja

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
Have not crashed yet! One damp session, and one mostly dry. Going out in a bit on a wet track tho. So far so good! Kinda fun in the wet spots.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Can you take some pictures of the harness? I'm having trouble picturing what is going on.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Got my brakes bled with ate superblue, got a decent alignment and now im ready for my first trackday in a long rear end time! Gonna be at Bedford autodrome next saturday, I cant wait!

Also if that goes well then i'll be off to cadwell park with the mr2 club in april.

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 2, 2014

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I guess they stopped selling Super Blue in the US because DOT brake fluid must be clear or yellow or some nonsense. Good while it lasted.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

ColdPie posted:

I guess they stopped selling Super Blue in the US because DOT brake fluid must be clear or yellow or some nonsense. Good while it lasted.

Dont they make a non blue version for the us though?

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I found 2 cans of it still sealed at a good will the other day for $2.50. I was super stoked. But yes, I think they do still have it in yellow and Ive been old they sell blue in an "off road use only" can, but I haven't checked.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Yeah, but you can't do the cool alternating colors trick.

Sadi posted:

Ive been told they sell blue in an "off road use only" can, but I haven't checked.

Maybe at some local places, but they don't have it on Amazon at least.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Mar 2, 2014

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Yes, it's ATE typ200

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I switched to Motul RBF600 after the announcement about superblue. It's expensive but really good stuff.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You can still get SuperBlue, you just need to find race shops that import it for Non Highway Use.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
What's the benefit of superblue?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

eriddy posted:

What's the benefit of superblue?

Higher boiling point.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
And you alternate with TYP200 so it's really obvious when you have a full bleed on your brake fluid: blue vs amber.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

c355n4 posted:

Higher boiling point.

Superblues numbers are not all that impressive for a track fluid. The main benefit is easy bleeding.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Well, it's higher than normal Dot 3 or Dot 4 fluid, but yeah there are better performing fluids out there.

http://www.lelandwest.com/brake-fluid-comparison-chart.cfm

It's also cheap.

Hog Obituary fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 3, 2014

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

Phone posted:

And you alternate with TYP200 so it's really obvious when you have a full bleed on your brake fluid: blue vs amber.

Has anyone actually gotten this to work? In my experience the blue dyes the lines and you never really get yellow again.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

FatCow posted:

Has anyone actually gotten this to work? In my experience the blue dyes the lines and you never really get yellow again.

Yea, honestly. The color thing has always seemed overblown to me. It is a cheap brake fluid with better boil over characteristics compared to the normal poo poo in most street cars that someone will bring to an HPDE. I switched to Motul awhile back when I started boiling superblue.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

FatCow posted:

I used to use it all the time, it stains everything but it never came close to making it hard to tell between yellow/blue.

Now I just bleed before/after track days and do a flush at the end of the year unless I'm having an issue.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Well, TYP200 comes out green which is definitely different than Superblue. It's really, really obvious when you switch out green TYP200 with Superblue.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

the poi posted:

Have not crashed yet! One damp session, and one mostly dry. Going out in a bit on a wet track tho. So far so good! Kinda fun in the wet spots.

How did it go?

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

aventari posted:

How did it go?

Pretty rad :) Minor pucker moment when going a little wide on the entrance to the front straight, hitting a puddle, and hydroplaning up the track a little...

Sunday was pretty dry, new personal best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGJRhCYwm-E

I think there's another second at least if I clear up the understeer in 5-6 and the hairpin. Stock rear swaybar, Eibach front, is making it push.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
Exhaust sounds rad! Nice lap too, I like the camera placement.

My e30 is really neutral but I was having bad understeering issues in the hairpin too. I dunno

I was also having a tiny bit of understeer in 5/6 but towards the end of the day I noticed if I gave it *more* throttle mid corner it would rotate quickly. I'm not as used to RWD as I am FWD so maybe that can be a characteristic, but it was awesome once I started doing it :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I like that while doing a buck 20 you decide that's a good time to fiddle with the button on the e-brake.