Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
Is there any way to make the HF grease gun not a flaming pile of poo poo?

It keeps pulling zerks out of the fittings. Wish I didn't buy it.

:siren:http://www.harborfreight.com/lever-action-grease-gun-1703.html:siren:

Do not buy this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Grease guns are literally hitler. The Lucas one blows chunks too.

I have a nice one at home... well, a reportedly nice one.

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat
Sometimes I think the chances of finding a great grease gun are the same as me finding the Holy Grail.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Surely SnapOn grease guns can't be that bad. At $40, they're reasonably priced relative to some of their other tools.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Lincoln makes decent ones. When we towed a lot (and I mean 10K+ miles/year) of boat trailers, we'd go through a dozen tubes of full-size grease each year. I bought cheap Pistol-grips with hoses at AutoZone. When they broke, we tossed them. I've got a Lincoln, and its nicer, but still nothing "omg, this is the best ever". Grease guns just universally suck rear end.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Powered greese guns are the only way to go.

In other news and late to the party, but just got a Powerprobe. Love it.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Surely SnapOn grease guns can't be that bad. At $40, they're reasonably priced relative to some of their other tools.

They probably doesn't even make their own, Plews makes tons of grease guns that are rebranded.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Used my ball head allen sockets from Harbor Frieght for the first time today building some 80-20 poo poo. I was really surprised to see the shaft twist and not have the ball snap off at the neck. I was on the fence about getting the torx ones but I think I will now.

enkalen
May 26, 2013
I bought 2 of the metal HF wrench organizers. i like them better than the craftsman basic plastic ones. The HF organizer is $7 vs $10 for craftsman. It also gives you 14 slots, craftsman only has 2.

http://www.harborfreight.com/professional-14-wrench-holder-4800.html

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

enkalen posted:

I bought 2 of the metal HF wrench organizers. i like them better than the craftsman basic plastic ones. The HF organizer is $7 vs $10 for craftsman. It also gives you 14 slots, craftsman only has 2.

http://www.harborfreight.com/professional-14-wrench-holder-4800.html

Ooh, I may have to grab one of those. I've got a cheap rear end set of combo-wrenches that still live in their plastic rack/case/giant-pain-in-the-rear end.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Oh, I've never even saw the metal ones at HF. The plastic ones are horrid, btw.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

Grease guns are literally hitler. The Lucas one blows chunks too.

I have a nice one at home... well, a reportedly nice one.

I've been pretty happy with my Lucas pistol-grip one so far... but I also use it very, very rarely.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Anyone used the plastic Mityvacs? Am I better off lighting $40 on fire than buying one for basic maintenance and repair purposes?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Molten Llama posted:

Anyone used the plastic Mityvacs? Am I better off lighting $40 on fire than buying one for basic maintenance and repair purposes?

What one are you taling about....in general they are pretty useful....but there are many sizes available.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
One of the hand pumps, not the giant fuckoff evacuators. Local options are:

The MV8000 that's available approximately everywhere. No pressure outlet, but I can't immediately see a need for it.

Harbor Freight (surprisingly) has some older, apparently less-well-constructed model with a pressure outlet.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Molten Llama posted:

One of the hand pumps, not the giant fuckoff evacuators. Local options are:

The MV8000 that's available approximately everywhere. No pressure outlet, but I can't immediately see a need for it.

Harbor Freight (surprisingly) has some older, apparently less-well-constructed model with a pressure outlet.

I have one in that size that I use for several things. Top of the list is evacuating small fluid reservoirs (master cylinders, power steering fluid reservoirs) when swapping fluids. I suppose in a pinch I could use it to bleed brakes or a clutch, but they're poo poo at that compared to a proper pressure bleeder. And some clutches simply refuse to be vacuum bled (80's Porsches are among that list).

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.
Did anyone see Woot on Wednesday?

They had a Craftsman Rolling Tool Chest & Cabinet for $249 - by the time I figured out it was a good deal they were gone.

Here's their forum link for reference: http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5713571&pageindex=1&replycount=62

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Motronic posted:

I have one in that size that I use for several things. Top of the list is evacuating small fluid reservoirs (master cylinders, power steering fluid reservoirs) when swapping fluids. I suppose in a pinch I could use it to bleed brakes or a clutch, but they're poo poo at that compared to a proper pressure bleeder. And some clutches simply refuse to be vacuum bled (80's Porsches are among that list).

I used one like that for brakes, it was fine. Get some pressure, let it flow.

Then I let it sink to the bottom of the toolbox on the truck where it was ruined forever and thrown away.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

StormDrain posted:

I used one like that for brakes, it was fine. Get some pressure, let it flow.

I'm not saying they don't work "fine". They do. But I see pressure bleeding getting me a far superior pedal feel.

The other issue you may run into when vacuum bleeding nasty old brakes is sucking air around the bleeder threads. I used to just seal them up with some never seez and it seemed to work OK.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Hit an Apex posted:

Did anyone see Woot on Wednesday?

They had a Craftsman Rolling Tool Chest & Cabinet for $249 - by the time I figured out it was a good deal they were gone.

Here's their forum link for reference: http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5713571&pageindex=1&replycount=62

Craftsman's tool chest sucks compared to even Harbor Freight. This guy did more research on tool boxes than I did when I bought a BMW, and the conclusion is basically buy the one from Harbor Freight or a Kobalt one from Lowes.

This is the one you want. Watch for it to drop to around $300 and snap it up (with a stacking coupon if you can find one).

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Motronic posted:

I'm not saying they don't work "fine". They do. But I see pressure bleeding getting me a far superior pedal feel.

The other issue you may run into when vacuum bleeding nasty old brakes is sucking air around the bleeder threads. I used to just seal them up with some never seez and it seemed to work OK.

The sucking air was a huge problem, sealing the threads helped. It seemed like I had so much air in the system that I couldn't get it bled without a little assistance to prime the lines. Somehow 2013 was the year of brake bleeding for me and I went through 4 quarts, for two vehicles.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Re: grease guns

We have a pistol grip John Deere and a Lincoln Powerluber and I like both. The hose on the PowerLuber likes to get stuck on fittings that haven't been touched in forever but I think that's more my dad's fault the Lincoln's.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I guess I won the lottery in that my HF angle grinder with HF wheels hasn't shivved me yet.

On the other hand, I wear a leather apron, welding gloves, long-sleeved shirt that's basically sail canvas, and eyepro ranging from welding mask to motorcycle helmet when using it, just in case.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
I use a pistol grip Lincoln grease gun at work to lube machines daily, they are just about the best I've used. I've never had a problem with them loving up, but if a zerk is sticking or grease is spilling out then I just put a new fitting on. I also wipe the fitting off after I lube it, which goes a long way in avoiding any hassles.

The lever style ones suck rear end, and usually end up chucked out in the brush.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

StormDrain posted:

Alright, Kastein, what tools am I going to need for a rebuild of my D44 front differential? Assume I have nothing.

I was going to send it to a shop but if I can do it for even the same price, use quality parts, give it a nice epoxy paint, and have a few more tools more to my name, I'm in.

Narrowing this question down a bit, do I need a spreader to get the carrier in, or can I limp along without?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You are going to need bearing pullers, a shop press, torque wrench, blah blah blah.

High pinion or low pinion? You will need a new oil baffle if high pinion and replacing the pinion bearings, new crush sleeve if not. Sometimes the baffles are not the same thickness as the factory one so get a pinion depth shim set too.

If you are going to just bearing-slap it, you don't need a mic, dial indicator, etc.

If you are going to do it right, you should get a mic and dial indicator and some marking paste and make sure the backlash and pattern are correct after replacing the bearings.

Do the axle seals while you are in there... they are right there and a pain in the rear end to get to otherwise.

A case spreader is usually not needed, use a bigass deadblow, but it is a bastard to get in sometimes. I don't own a case spreader, just a big deadblow and some frustration. Doing it under the truck will suck without a case spreader, probably.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

kastein posted:

You are going to need bearing pullers, a shop press, torque wrench, blah blah blah.

High pinion or low pinion? You will need a new oil baffle if high pinion and replacing the pinion bearings, new crush sleeve if not. Sometimes the baffles are not the same thickness as the factory one so get a pinion depth shim set too.

If you are going to just bearing-slap it, you don't need a mic, dial indicator, etc.

If you are going to do it right, you should get a mic and dial indicator and some marking paste and make sure the backlash and pattern are correct after replacing the bearings.

Do the axle seals while you are in there... they are right there and a pain in the rear end to get to otherwise.

A case spreader is usually not needed, use a bigass deadblow, but it is a bastard to get in sometimes. I don't own a case spreader, just a big deadblow and some frustration. Doing it under the truck will suck without a case spreader, probably.

Definitely going to take it off the truck, clean and paint the whole thing just for kicks. The whole problem is the seals, so I'm expecting to buy a kit and replace everything. I've been thinking about a disc brake conversion while I'm at it, replace the drivers side ball joints, then take it to the spring shop for some new springs all around (one of my AI new years resolutions).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It is leaf sprung right? After pulling the axle you will be approximately four bolts from doing the springs yourself, leaf springs on full frame vehicles are incredibly easy IMO. Buy new ubolts and new shackle and eye bolts and do it yourself, I am sure you can order the leafs online. You should save quite a bit.

Oh, make sure to clean the axle tubes out too. They get full of some nasty gunk unless it is a closed knuckle housing, and getting the shafts back in without loading them with grime to stuff right into your new clean seals and bearings is difficult if the tubes are filthy.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

kastein posted:

It is leaf sprung right? After pulling the axle you will be approximately four bolts from doing the springs yourself, leaf springs on full frame vehicles are incredibly easy IMO. Buy new ubolts and new shackle and eye bolts and do it yourself, I am sure you can order the leafs online. You should save quite a bit.

Oh, make sure to clean the axle tubes out too. They get full of some nasty gunk unless it is a closed knuckle housing, and getting the shafts back in without loading them with grime to stuff right into your new clean seals and bearings is difficult if the tubes are filthy.

Full size IH leaf springs are not very available online, and a co-worker recommended a local spring joint to get new ones, I figure I can at least chat witht hem. If it was a Chevy I'd be all about it.

Argenteus
Mar 31, 2011
A couple months ago I bought this Lincoln grease gun:
http://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-Lubrication-1134-Pistol-Grease/dp/B0002NYDZ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393857755&sr=8-1&keywords=grease+gun
and this coupler set:
http://www.amazon.com/Tooluxe-Grease-Lubrication-Aid-Kit/dp/B002RMMXG8/ref=pd_sim_auto_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=0AGJPXN0SDZ9D7NWKWJM

This gun is miles ahead of my old lever action grease gun which induced many bouts of rage. Maybe we can start a new AI sport: Aggravating Tool Shotput?

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Heads up for those in need of some cordless tools, Milwaukee is having another one of their buy-one kit get-one free bare tool deals right now with the M12 lineup. Its good all through this month I believe, unfortunately TylerTool immediately sold out of the two tools I wanted but Toolbarn has the sale going also and most of it still seems to be in stock. Could always wait to see if Tylertool gets more in stock before the end of the month to enjoy that sweet, sweet free shipping. The combo I wanted, M12 Impact Hammer + M12 3/8" Ratchet was already $189 so I just added on some drill bits to get it over $200 for the free shipping from Toolbarn.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
The Harbor Freight electric impact gun did not break or try to burn my garage down.

It's listed at 230 ft pounds and there were a few times where we needed to use a breaker bar to get something broke free but then could use the gun to back everything off the rest of the way.. Lots of well rusted nuts and bolts that were installed at the factory 21 years ago we had to loosen or just grind off.

The nuts holding the upper rear shocks to the mounts had rusted away into cone shaped tact wield of iron oxide.

My buddy and I had a good laugh when opening the impact gun box when a packet of extra motor brushes fell out..

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

evilnissan posted:

My buddy and I had a good laugh when opening the impact gun box when a packet of extra motor brushes fell out..

Normal.

BTW I have a 700 ft/lb air impact and I run into bolts it can't break loose somewhat often. Recently a friend's wheel lugs got hammered on by a shop and it wouldn't budge them. I ended up using a breaker bar+jack handle+fence post to pop all 16. Point being, impacts, even air impacts, can't do everything.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

revmoo posted:

Normal.

BTW I have a 700 ft/lb air impact and I run into bolts it can't break loose somewhat often. Recently a friend's wheel lugs got hammered on by a shop and it wouldn't budge them. I ended up using a breaker bar+jack handle+fence post to pop all 16. Point being, impacts, even air impacts, can't do everything.

Jesus. Hopefully you took your Ultra-Cheater-Pipe contraption back to the shop and lovingly placed it up somebody's rear end.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

revmoo posted:

Normal.

What impact gun do you have? I wrench for a living and I have literally not run into a bolt my Nitrocat 1200K couldn't break loose yet.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I have an Aircat 1150 and was fighting with a cross threaded lug nut wondering why the thing couldn't break it loose. Turned out I had the regulator turned down :downs: Cranked up the pressure to where it was supposed to be and it happily sheared the lug stud off like it was made of chinesium.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Speaking of harbor freight this Friday-Sunday the 3 ton jack is down to $70.
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-heavy-duty-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-68048-7788.html#.UxmwIYXwtLM

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
Gonna preach for a minute here, since I am a retard and should learn to follow safety procedures more. I have used angle grinders 1000s of times and know how to not maim myself, despite my lapse in judgement today.

At work today, I had to do some cutting with an angle grinder, and got extremely lucky that I didn't maim myself worse.

Mistake #1: After seeing that the only grinder available to me didn't have a guard, I chose to use it anyway.
Mistake #2: I was wearing those thin fabric gloves with the palm dipped in rubber for grip, and they were the wrong gloves for power tool use.
Mistake #3: I was/am very complacent around angle grinders since I have used them so much, and don't take much time to think about what I am doing while using one, aside from getting a good cut.

I finished my cut, and was reaching with my thumb to turn off the grinder when I moved my index fingat for some reason and put it right against the blade. It cut all the way to the bone, but I am lucky that it didn't get me worse. Injury is worse than the pic shows, nms for a little blood.

:nms: :nms:
http://i.imgur.com/7jKScKD.jpg
:nms: :nms:

Today's lesson: Don't be like me, use these tools with the utmost care.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My electrical box was getting kind of full and I wanted a place to consolodate some computer hardware. I heard about using a fishing tackle box for tools, so I picked one up. Fairly happy how it worked out. I can organize bits and cables and there is plenty of space in the bottom for my multimeter and bigger tools. I think I'm going to take a Dremel to the bottom tray and cut away some of the dividers to fit my pliers and soldering iron and such up there. I'm a little concerned about tipping, however. The stuff in the lower two trays should be secure, but I'm keeping plugs, splices, and screws in baggies in the top tray so they don't go flying all over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Now I know what I'm doing with all my soldering and other general electronics poo poo. That's so much better than trying in vain to keep it all organized in a cardboard box. Thanks for the tip!