Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

opengl128 posted:

Whoops! Not really sure how that happened, I blame all the snow and ice we've had lately. Luckily there was nobody behind me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJVJ_2oIsJ0

Same thing happened to me, except during a storm. I limped it a few kms to the nearest exit with my head out of the window and then duct taped a sock to the metal nub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
For those in the UK, Amazon has a few sellers with G1Ws for around the £30-35 mark including delivery, just picked one up myself

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

DesperateDan posted:

For those in the UK, Amazon has a few sellers with G1Ws for around the £30-35 mark including delivery, just picked one up myself

They appear to be £22 on ebay.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Note that they're the same housing as the more expensive ones, but the internals are different.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

InitialDave posted:

Note that they're the same housing as the more expensive ones, but the internals are different.

What's the keyword to differentiate the good ones? I've been watching for a while, they seem to be hanging at the same $45-51 price in the US, but I want to make sure I get the "right" ones.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

So are the ones on ebay like this one not the same as the G1W's everybody else is talking about? The specs look the same as the £35 amazon ones at a glance?

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 2, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Actually, I may be completely wrong, I was thinking of Mini 0801s, because I just had a conversation with a friend about the exact same thing. Bugger, sorry about that.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Tomarse posted:

So are the ones on ebay like this one not the same as the G1W's everybody else is talking about? The specs look the same as the £35 amazon ones at a glance?

If you're going to ebay, I'd suggest using estore009. They don't seem to sell knockoffs, and the dashcamtalk community thinks highly of them.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

some texas redneck posted:

If you're going to ebay, I'd suggest using estore009. They don't seem to sell knockoffs, and the dashcamtalk community thinks highly of them.

estore009 want £34 and it ships from china (so takes 3 weeks to arrive), whereas the one I linked is £23 and ships from the UK in a couple of days (or i can pay £21 and get it from china on the slow boat). Even if it breaks and I can't return it, I've got half the cost of another one already in the bank!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Tomarse posted:

As far as I can tell from dashcam talk, there are a lot around that are either fake (worse hardware in same case) or old models on ebay- the only way to check some apparently is to open it up and check some chip numbers- it might be an awesome deal, or you might be getting a non "genuine" one.

*edit

like this one which is another £22 one that is apparently a fake

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 2, 2014

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

DesperateDan posted:

As far as I can tell from dashcam talk, there are a lot around that are either fake (worse hardware in same case) or old models on ebay- the only way to check some apparently is to open it up and check some chip numbers- it might be an awesome deal, or you might be getting a non "genuine" one.

*edit

like this one which is another £22 one that is apparently a fake

Thanks! I never realised fake ones could be an issue, I thought I was only in danger of waiting months for stuff to arrive on the slow boat from china.

Looks like the cheaper ones use a different processor chip that makes lower quality video and crappier files. Looks like I might spend the £34 instead! (sorry STR - I'm listening now!)

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Buy from estore009, seriously. It's worth the 4 week wait.

I bought one for a little less off of eBay in the beginning of February, since estore009 was not selling again until 2/9. It came out of Illinois (so it was in-country for me) and when I got it, it looked like what I expected.

However, after the first use the LCD had a whole line of dead pixels. That was the second week of February. That's also when I ordered one from estore009.

I just got my refund from them two days ago, after I escalated the case and pushed them for it. I also got my new dashcam two days ago, and needless to say I can definitely tell a quality and performance difference between the two.

For the same (or slightly higher) price, you definitely are getting what you pay for here.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Do you guys who have posted the G1W videos use 1080P 30FPS? I got mine and set it up at 720P 60FPS last night, which I thought would be acceptable but it's not great, so I guess I'll move up. I wasn't sure if the FPS made much difference, I guess it shouldn't thinking about usual video FPS. I think a cleaner windshield might improve things as well.

That $2 eBay visor clip someone posted earlier is pretty pro though, definitely easier to use and mount higher than a suction cup. The camera still sticks out like a sore thumb with a totally untinted windshield, but I'm not worried about theft, I just want it too look more subtle in someone's rearview. Both the camera (from Amazon) and the clip came from China in less than 3 weeks, I think I ordered it all on 2/18.

Also, is there a preferred method of running a wire down the A-pillar? I can force most of it into the crevasse but it doesn't want to stay in there perfectly by friction alone.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ror posted:

Also, is there a preferred method of running a wire down the A-pillar? I can force most of it into the crevasse but it doesn't want to stay in there perfectly by friction alone.
I find hot glue can work if the trim is hard plastic. Try an experiment somewhere hidden on a kick panel or whatever, but it doesn't seem to be hot enough to damage anything.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
I just used zipties and this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004Z4BV/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ror posted:

Do you guys who have posted the G1W videos use 1080P 30FPS? I got mine and set it up at 720P 60FPS last night, which I thought would be acceptable but it's not great, so I guess I'll move up. I wasn't sure if the FPS made much difference, I guess it shouldn't thinking about usual video FPS. I think a cleaner windshield might improve things as well.

That $2 eBay visor clip someone posted earlier is pretty pro though, definitely easier to use and mount higher than a suction cup. The camera still sticks out like a sore thumb with a totally untinted windshield, but I'm not worried about theft, I just want it too look more subtle in someone's rearview. Both the camera (from Amazon) and the clip came from China in less than 3 weeks, I think I ordered it all on 2/18.

According to some posts on dashcamtalk the 60FPS mode on cameras is just doubling frames so is a waste of time. Don't know if that's universally true but I'd say is probably the case.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

CharlesM posted:

According to some posts on dashcamtalk the 60FPS mode on cameras is just doubling frames so is a waste of time. Don't know if that's universally true but I'd say is probably the case.

? It's 100% based off of what the camera sensor itself can do along with what processor is being used/ram/dma's setup/etc etc.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Ror posted:

Remove the A pillar trim and tape/ziptie it to the wires that are already running up there. Not applicable if you have air bags in there.

I have a 'cheap' G1W and a 'not quite so cheap' G1W, they seem to be the same to me. The cheaper one didn't come with a HDMI cable though.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Ror posted:

Blu-Tack or local equivalent.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Got two on one trip today. First on the video is someone blowing through a stop sign. You can barely see them do it, but they get what's coming to them.

The second one, they knew exactly what they were doing, watch their brake lights as they come to the red light. My only guess is that their car is so slow they can't stop or it will never get going again. After waiting, I followed them onto the freeway where I blew past them about 1/2 mile later.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3atrek7nsc

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ltr posted:

Got two on one trip today. First on the video is someone blowing through a stop sign. You can barely see them do it, but they get what's coming to them.

The second one, they knew exactly what they were doing, watch their brake lights as they come to the red light. My only guess is that their car is so slow they can't stop or it will never get going again. After waiting, I followed them onto the freeway where I blew past them about 1/2 mile later.

You should probably stop at stop signs as well. :v:

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

You should probably stop at stop signs as well. :v:

Hah! I probably should. There was a bit of a rolling through there.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ltr posted:

Hah! I probably should. There was a bit of a rolling through there.

It's just not worth the risk. Just doing it in front of a cop having a bad day ONE time isn't worth all the half-seconds saved added up over all the years you did it. Not worth the hassle man, just not worth it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Plus it's fun to watch all the surprised faces in your rear view when they aren't prepared for someone to come to a complete stop.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

It's just not worth the risk. Just doing it in front of a cop having a bad day ONE time isn't worth all the half-seconds saved added up over all the years you did it. Not worth the hassle man, just not worth it.

Oh I know, the really isn't an excuse for it. Being called out for it on here, even with the anonymity will actually probably help with stopping there now. I try to avoid that intersection because it's just bad in general, but it's the best way to the freeway from my house.

xzzy posted:

Plus it's fun to watch all the surprised faces in your rear view when they aren't prepared for someone to come to a complete stop.

That is the other thing that happens, people come to a complete stop for a long time as they try to figure out how to get across all the lanes in 100 feet to make a left hand turn.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

ltr posted:

I have never understood the frequency of red-light running you guys in the US seem to have to deal with. I think I've witnessed it under a handful of times here, and half of those seemed to not be malicious. I can't even fathom why you would run a red light like that. I wouldn't even do it in the middle of the winter.

On the other hand, I gladly do it on my bicycle... (within reason, of course.)

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

This popped up on facebook this morning, dashcam footage of a t-bone crash.

Article:
http://www.tbnewswatch.com/news/326162/Dramatic-crash

Video from the article:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KILUlAGgZcg

Looks like the guy pulling the trailer was talking on a cellphone as he pulled out, both drivers are lucky to be alive.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

bolind posted:

I have never understood the frequency of red-light running you guys in the US seem to have to deal with...
It's interesting, moving from one area of the US to another and seeing what's common. I moved from Maryland (where nobody uses their turn signals EVER and tailgating is normal) to NC (where everyone runs stops signs and red lights). In MD< I blame the lack of turn signals on the fact that traffic is tight and people are self-absorbed, using a turn signal often ends is someone trying to speed up so you can't get over, compared to here in NC in which a turn signal is usually met by someone leaving a gap. In MD, tailgating is common because traffic is often so heavy that leaving any space whatsoever just isn't viable. But in NC I blame the red-light-running phenomena on the fact that the lights are too long - I don't think the traffic engineers in the area quite GET the fact you shouldn't have to wait literally 6 minutes at a 4-lane-by-4-lane intersection.

Bajaha posted:

This popped up on facebook this morning, dashcam footage of a t-bone crash.

Looks like the guy pulling the trailer was talking on a cellphone as he pulled out, both drivers are lucky to be alive.

The reactions in this video are delightfully stereotypically Canadian.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 6, 2014

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Out here in CO using a turn signal just gets you blocked out of the lane change. As far as stop signs go, you kind of learn which ones really shouldn't exist and which ones to actually stop at. There is no reason to stop and sit for 5 seconds. It says stop not stay.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Out here (North Shore Metro Boston) running reds and blowing stops is like a regional pastime or something. Never mind 15 to 20mph above the speed limit cruising everyone does on the highway. To be fair, 128 has a speed limit of 55 and the Mass Pike has a limit of 65, so speeding isn't that surprising. Everyone always talks about Masshole drivers, so it's nice to see that everyone else drives kind of insane too.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Sigma X posted:

The comments on the news article however, nearly put youtube to shame.

http://www.tbnewswatch.com/news/326162/Dramatic-crash

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

trouser chili posted:

The comments on the news article however, nearly put youtube to shame.

What amazes me is that apparently some of these people know each other and have reputations. There's a community of people who actually treat a local news station's website like it's the SA forum.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
For the record, I totally woukd have braked 3 seconds earlier, swerved to the right and if all that failed I would have pulled the hand brake to make my car drift around the back of the trailer because I have a license for every vehicle on the road and my skill puts The Stig to shame. :clint:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Crotch Fruit posted:

For the record, I totally woukd have braked 3 seconds earlier, swerved to the right and if all that failed I would have pulled the hand brake to make my car drift around the back of the trailer because I have a license for every vehicle on the road and my skill puts The Stig to shame. :clint:

Yea. Going left was definitely a mistake. I wonder how good my decision making skills are during those moments though.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Ziploc posted:

Yea. Going left was definitely a mistake. I wonder how good my decision making skills are during those moments though.

drat near nonexistent at that speed with that type of music playing. They were probably half asleep from the radio.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Sigma X posted:

"Yoo ookay?"
"Oh may gawd. I'm hurt but I'm all right. Oh may gawd. Oh may gawd."
"Is everybody OK? I'm so sorry. That was totally may fault."

You'll never hear that at the scene of an accident in America...that poo poo'd be like:

"OW OW OWWWWWW..."
"Shut up, woman! He's comin' over 'ere!"
"What the gently caress do you think yer doin'? You ran RIGHT into me! Yew stupid or sometin'?"

anonumos fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 6, 2014

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I find it difficult to get a good sense of speed in some dashcam videos, but it also looks like classic ineffectual late braking. It's hard to really criticize people for not slamming on their brakes every time they get spooked, but there have been a lot of crashes like that where they pull computer data and the braking doesn't even go past 50% until a second or so before impact.

Practice your emergency stops and don't be afraid to use them, especially on a country road with no one on your rear end.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
After experiencing a second hit and run in a parking lot, I'm interested in getting a dashcam. Does anyone know if there are cameras that automatically turn on when they sense an impact?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Pfox posted:

After experiencing a second hit and run in a parking lot, I'm interested in getting a dashcam. Does anyone know if there are cameras that automatically turn on when they sense an impact?

I've got this camera, which has an accelerometer and battery in it. If the accelerometer detects the car being bumped/moved when the car's turned off, it'll turn on the camera and start recording. The accelerometer also detects when you accelerate/brake/swerve outside normal parameters while recording and saves the recordings when those events happen to a reserved portion of the SD card, to prevent it from being overwritten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Pfox posted:

That would be completely useless. If you actually needed to use footage to determine fault in most accidents chances are you would be stuck without the few seconds leading up to impact.

Most (all?) modern dashcams use SD cards and record continuously from the moment the ignition is turned on. Once the card is full they rewrite over the oldest recordings without requiring any intervention from the user

Content: Caught the aftermath of a motorbike accident on my way to work one morning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czvP9r_a1JM

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Mar 7, 2014