Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

monsieur fatso posted:

Anyone have any tips on keeping a rabbit out from under a couch, other than stuffing tons of poo poo under there?

Couch alteration. I had my dad attach some scrap metal to the front and sides here. It's very effective and it beats stuffing crap underneath there. I used to have a stepladder and some bricks underneath there. That was ugly and a bitch to clean.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Bloodnose posted:

It's been a while since I posted in this thread since Idi died, but I'm back home in America visiting my family and I've found a pretty uncomfortable situation. My stepmother got this idea to breed rabbits and spent several thousand dollars turning my sister's bedroom into a menagerie for six white Holland lops. They're cute.

Then she somehow ended up adding seven mini-rexes to the herd for a grand total of 13 rabbits, all of them intact and ready to breed and therefore assholes. The situation is untenable and she's at least agreed to get rid of the mini-rexes. I've contacted the Humane Society and they're willing to take them, but my stepmother refuses to let me bring them there because she thinks they'll kill them or come and inspect her house (which is now a nightmare world of spilled bedding and rabbit poo poo everywhere).

It's a longshot, but does anyone in northern Nevada or even as far away as the bay area want to adopt a rabbit? They're all very cute and for the most part have good personalities, but I don't know how long that will last. They're all being kept in rather small cages, the Holland lops certainly don't have enough room to hop more than once, and they only get out for a few hours of outdoor time every 2 or 3 days, since most of them can't be outside together because they're intact.

My biggest worry is that they don't get fed nearly as much as I thought rabbits needed to be fed. I made sure Idi had a constant supply of hay, but my stepmother just gives them a bowl of pellets once a day and they never eat hay at all. Still, they've survived for the three months I've been here so I guess they're okay with that.

Alternatively, maybe some of you folks in the area know of some rabbit sanctuaries? I found three online within three hours' drive, but I called them all and they told me they're either full or not doing the rabbit thing anymore.

Reading this thread it seems like most of you are UK goons so I'm not sure if I can get much help from you, but if nothing else I vented about this situation. It's bad for everyone. The rabbits aren't in a good situation, my sister lost her bedroom and has to sleep with her parents, and I never want to go to the house I grew up in because it stinks to high heaven from a battalion of thirteen intact rabbits.

Contact the Las Vegas House Rabbit Society. They will contact area shelters and help you find the room, and are the kind of people that would never harm rabbits.

http://lv-hrs.org

(702) 518-3098

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the tip. That could be a super last resort, but Vegas is an 8 hour drive from here. I don't even know if the bunnies would make it.

edit: If it wasn't clear from 'northern Nevada' in my last post, I'm in Reno. So San Francisco is about half as far away as Vegas.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

So...um.....is it bad tonight the words "DAMMIT HARRIET, GARLIC BREAD IS NOT A BUNNY FOOD! THAT PILE OF FRESH GREENS IS BUNNY FOOD" were heard in a refrain in my apartment?

Also, because my dignity is gone, I got her to eat the drat greens by eating them in front her.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Bloodnose posted:

Thanks for the tip. That could be a super last resort, but Vegas is an 8 hour drive from here. I don't even know if the bunnies would make it.

edit: If it wasn't clear from 'northern Nevada' in my last post, I'm in Reno. So San Francisco is about half as far away as Vegas.

Right, but if you call them, they'll know where to go nearby. Otherwise, there are several rabbit rescue organizations in the Bay Area that I could recommend as well if LVHRS doesn't help.

With proper travel conditions, bunnies can drive pretty far so when a rescue is coordinated shelters with space from around the region respond if they have to.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Okay, thanks a lot. Let's hope these bunnies can get into a happier place. It's really sad how much time they spend in cages with no litter boxes, kicking their poop out onto the carpet.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

My dwarf made a four or five hour trip in a cage wedged under a mattress with no complaints, eight is perfectly doable.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Well, I removed the blankets and other poo poo I had stuffed in front of the couch. Chompsky used to just dig at the blanket and tear it apart anyways. I have a big rug that I used to have in front of my couch, but I moved it so the one end is all the way under the couch and extends to the wall behind the couch, so if Chompsky does go under there and starts digging, she's just digging at my rug and not the carpet.

So far, she doesn't seem too interested in going under the couch, or at least not for very long. Instead, she'll sit in front of the couch, grab a hold of the skirt with her mouth, and pull on it. drat little rat.

Sometimes I think she thinks it's a game, because after I shoo her away, she'll binky. Other times, though, she'll run to the other side of the room and stare at me with her ears down and back.

I know, I know, because it's a rabbit.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

monsieur fatso posted:

Well, I removed the blankets and other poo poo I had stuffed in front of the couch. Chompsky used to just dig at the blanket and tear it apart anyways. I have a big rug that I used to have in front of my couch, but I moved it so the one end is all the way under the couch and extends to the wall behind the couch, so if Chompsky does go under there and starts digging, she's just digging at my rug and not the carpet.

So far, she doesn't seem too interested in going under the couch, or at least not for very long. Instead, she'll sit in front of the couch, grab a hold of the skirt with her mouth, and pull on it. drat little rat.

Sometimes I think she thinks it's a game, because after I shoo her away, she'll binky. Other times, though, she'll run to the other side of the room and stare at me with her ears down and back.

I know, I know, because it's a rabbit.

Our explorer bun, Grace had a dresser that she *barely* fit under. Whenever one of the pillows blocking her path was removed she'd quickly squeeze under there and then just sit staring out from the darkness. Eventually, she'd have to army crawl her way out of there, and would barely squeeze out.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
rabbits lying down <3 <3 <3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjNnd1i3p0I

Chu Chu
Jun 15, 2010
Rabbits ripping up phone books <3 <3 <3

http://twitpic.com/ctyso8

(Apologies, this was back when I didn't understand how to turn my stupid phone the correct way to take video)

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Chu Chu posted:

Rabbits ripping up phone books <3 <3 <3

http://twitpic.com/ctyso8

(Apologies, this was back when I didn't understand how to turn my stupid phone the correct way to take video)

Gracie loves christmas for this reason

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Do not put rocks in brain.
Upside down bun:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Oh god the other already ate his head!!

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Ugh, I hate to have one of these downer posts in the thread, but one of my bunnies is in the middle of a really rough bout of stasis currently. She was a little sluggish before I left for work yesterday, but still eating, so I didn't think much of it.

Last night she steadily got worse to the point of refusing even her favorite veggies/treats. Myself and my girlfriend spent all night dosing her with simethicone and giving her water and critical care. This morning I took her to the vet and x-ray showed a lot of impaction in her bowels with no movement. She's staying overnight for fluids and other treatments to hopefully get things moving. If that isn't successful by tomorrow it may be best to just keep her from suffering.

It wasn't more than 3-4 days ago that I was looking all over for my camera charger because I've never managed to get decent pictures of my furballs to share in the thread, especially her. She has always had a knack for ruining picture attempts and turning into a black, fuzzy blur in nearly every last one.

Edit: Found some passable old pictures, time for a proper introduction.

Sonda (Sick bunny):

Pensa:

Yeah, Sonda is yet another lookalike for Patterson and all the other fluffy, lumpy black lops that have been shared here.

The337th fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 5, 2014

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
They're adorable. I hope Sonda gets better soon.

voodoonoid
May 15, 2003

Turkeys fear me!
I'm trying to sign up as a rabbit foster. One of the guidelines is that a foster bunny and my bunny do not bump noses? I'm guessing I have to monitor free play time or something.

Is being a foster to a bunny avoided if you already own a bunny?

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

The337th posted:

Yeah, Sonda is yet another lookalike for Patterson and all the other fluffy, lumpy black lops that have been shared here.

:( I hope that Sonda gets better ASAP. Is she a German lop?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

voodoonoid posted:

I'm trying to sign up as a rabbit foster. One of the guidelines is that a foster bunny and my bunny do not bump noses? I'm guessing I have to monitor free play time or something.

I think that often your bun and the foster bun will very much not get along, especially since foster buns can often have special needs. I think generally you just need the space to keep them separate.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Unfortunately we made the choice to put Sonda to sleep a few hours ago. She had went 3 days with no improvement with her stasis. The silver lining is that for what she was going through she wasn't miserable. The vet gave her lots of fluids and medicine to manage the pain and she was actually very responsive considering the circumstances. It won't be quite the same without that stubborn, willfull little furball attempting to explore every square inch of the house and get into everything she can possibly reach, but it's consoling to know she had a good life even if it was too short.

I brought her body home to leave with Pensa for a little while to hopefully avoid any confusion on where her friend had gone. I think we'll have her cremated and decide on keeping the ashes or spreading them somewhere. After a little more time passes we're going to try to find Pensa a rescue bunny to bond with.

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013
I'm so sorry to hear about Sonda. Condolences, man. :(

At least she wasn't in much pain. Hop in peace, bun.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

The337th posted:

Unfortunately we made the choice to put Sonda to sleep a few hours ago. She had went 3 days with no improvement with her stasis. The silver lining is that for what she was going through she wasn't miserable. The vet gave her lots of fluids and medicine to manage the pain and she was actually very responsive considering the circumstances. It won't be quite the same without that stubborn, willfull little furball attempting to explore every square inch of the house and get into everything she can possibly reach, but it's consoling to know she had a good life even if it was too short.

I brought her body home to leave with Pensa for a little while to hopefully avoid any confusion on where her friend had gone. I think we'll have her cremated and decide on keeping the ashes or spreading them somewhere. After a little more time passes we're going to try to find Pensa a rescue bunny to bond with.

So sorry to hear about Sonda, but at least she didn't suffer.

Happy edit: Cilantro checking out her new baby brother.

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 8, 2014

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Condolences :(

Stasis is really horrible, usually because of the pain caused to bunny. Sonda didn't suffer and lived a good life. Hop free, Sonda.

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.

voodoonoid posted:

The rescue is just covering it's butt. Rabbits can be jerks when they fight through fences, and I've had more than one foster who "just let them sniff" call me when someone had a ripped open ear or freshly devoured nose. Rabbits are jerks to each other.

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Do not put rocks in brain.
Condolences for Sonda. :(

In silly bunny news, advantage # 43 of having a rabbit, in conversation form:
Insurance policy agent: "Do you have a dog?"
Me: "No.*"
Insurance policy agent: "Great, then you don't have to pay a pet damage premium."

*However, I did meet several dogs just this week that are smaller than either of my buns, and I'm not actually kidding when I say I'm going to give the buns a wicker chair as a snack.

Fake edit: also, congrats on the baby, pseudonordic! Am I interpreting that picture correctly?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

boberteatskitten posted:

Condolences for Sonda. :(

Fake edit: also, congrats on the baby, pseudonordic! Am I interpreting that picture correctly?

You are! So far, we've laid down a blanket and hat that he's worn to let her sniff and acclimate. And in true bunny fashion, she sniffed them both then chinned them. "He's nice and all, but they're mine now."

We haven't deliberately put him down by her yet but his bouncer chair sits pretty low to the floor. She'll come check him out when she's ready. :3:

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
I must have the weirdest bunny in the world. She never rubs her chin on anything.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Sorry about your bun. :(

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Do any of you know what voodoo it takes to get on the PIFB group? They should have more than dog folk, damnit. :colbert:

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Bean posted:

Do any of you know what voodoo it takes to get on the PIFB group? They should have more than dog folk, damnit. :colbert:

They have bunny folk :getin:

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

I pondered on even sharing these pictures, they weren't exactly planned. When I made the last visit to the vet for Sonda I didn't expect to see her doing any better than when she was brought in hunched up in pain, breathing fast, and basically unaware of her surroundings. While she wasn't 100%, the pain meds and fluids at least had her showing signs of the bold little rabbit that would explore every crevice of a house and still want more room to go spelunking. When she perked up for a little while after being brought in, I couldn't help but take some bad cellphone pics.

As far as her breed, (almost forgot you asked, luscious) I've never been completely certain if she qualified as a Mini-lop or German. She was right in the weight range to be pretty large for a Mini or a smaller German lop.

Our other bunny is doing well, and we're most likely going to plan a visit to a rescue that is close by for this coming weekend. They have a few boy bunnies they'd like to try introductions with. (including a Flemish Giant!)

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Thanks for sharing those. She was a very pretty bun. I'm sorry for your loss, but I'm glad your other bun is doing well.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Aw, poor bun. She had a good life with you.

In other news, Ella found out that she likes yams.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 11, 2014

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Bean posted:

Sent you a PM but for everyone else the voodoo = PMing me. Bunny people are definitely welcome :)

Edit: Oh and if you don't have PMs then email me at cryingscarf @ gmail.com with the subject of PIFB invite or something!

cryingscarf fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 11, 2014

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
What is this pifb? Now I'm intrigued.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

monsieur fatso posted:

What is this pifb? Now I'm intrigued.

Pet Island Facebook, maybe?

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Hi rabbit thread! Need to vent a little, apologies.

Our little guy has gone from bad to worse :( kidney infection + weight loss (which was holding steady at least, after initial loss) has now added an apparent ulcer + even more weight loss (1.5kg down from his normal weight of 2.0 and then his infection weight of 1.70.)

Doc has him on Zantac and Carafate to help with the ulcer so we'll see if that helps, but he's pretty bummed out right now, not eating much, having problems hopping around too (due to an increasingly bad spine and I think also some ankle bruising incurred while taking blood at the vet.) We're trying out a spare carrier bottom as an "easy entry" litterbox now.

Perplexingly, he lapped up Critical Care at the vet yesterday but hasn't been too interested in it (same bag) at home last night or today. He is eating dandelion greens, salad, and of course banana/apple, tho we need to discontinue the latter for now since his poops have gotten pretty wet, uggh. (I'm sure that's partly as he got subcutaneous fluids at the vet.)

Hoping he does continue eating dandelion and salad some of the time, though, or we'll have to try syringe-feeding the Critical Care.

Here's the little jerk as of a few minutes ago, stubbornly refusing to eat (it's only been an hour since he last ate, so not reaching for the syringe just yet...):

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

bitprophet posted:

Hi rabbit thread! Need to vent a little, apologies.

Here's to a healthier bun. How old is he?

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

The337th posted:

Here's to a healthier bun. How old is he?

He'll be 8 in the summer, so he's not really a spring chicken anymore. I figure this is karmic payback for him being in near perfect health up through now.

The 'new' litterbox didn't really take, so we've gone back to the old one + using a phonebook as a step-up to help him get in. What a dork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
New bun pictures because I'm flooding my Facebook with pics of the newborn.

Follow up visit to the vet!

Loafing in the reading chair during a baby brother wailing fit. Ears back for maximum sleek.

Enjoying time in her Fortress of Bunitude.

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 14, 2014