Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The Chase?
This poll is closed.
Augh 46 32.39%
gently caress 96 67.61%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Kyle is gonna win a million in a row at Phoenix at this rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
For any that didn't hear they said when/if racing resumes it will be on ESPN News. Which is perfect since I don't get that channel, but I suppose it doesn't really matter. I'm surprised they didn't just call it right away with only 32 to go.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Isn't it only teatime or second breakfast or something in whatever strange and unholy timezone Arizona lives in?

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:
Its onceses right now.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
The Nationwide Series couldn't even get through the 2nd weekend with a full field of cars.

The end is nigh if things don't change.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

L_Harrison posted:

The Nationwide Series couldn't even get through the 2nd weekend with a full field of cars.

Formula NASCAR.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

L_Harrison posted:

Multiclass Stock Car racing :getin:

EDIT: Would also solve the whole "Cup drivers in Nationwide" problem.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Wow, I didn't even realize they only started 39 cars. With all of those Cup guys. That's hilarious, truly we should ban Cup guys to make the series even less interesting for the casual fan.

Also, reminder that today was Kyle Busch win #129.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

VikingSkull posted:

Wow, I didn't even realize they only started 39 cars. With all of those Cup guys. That's hilarious, truly we should ban Cup guys to make the series even less interesting for the casual fan.

Also, reminder that today was Kyle Busch win #129.
Or get to work developing the TBD Series from 2015 on as a semi-professional series in its own right, with a minimal amount of companion events.

I know who has the money and who doesn't, but if I can count your career number of starts/top 10s between my fingers, toes and dick, then maybe you shouldn't be there yet.

E: Win #129, with 21% of that coming in Cup.

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 2, 2014

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Now I kinda wanna see Trucks and Nationwide running at the same time.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

At first, I didn't pay any attention to this because I thought it was another staged ad.

Then I actually read it and that's pretty good.

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS

CBJSprague24 posted:

At first, I didn't pay any attention to this because I thought it was another staged ad.

Then I actually read it and that's pretty good.

It makes sense to do at least. Some redeeming, and recurring, marketing for Pepsi, and it's not like Gordon can't whip around a closed course and scare the hell out of some poor mortal if you give him the chance :laugh:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Or get to work developing the TBD Series from 2015 on as a semi-professional series in its own right, with a minimal amount of companion events.

I know who has the money and who doesn't, but if I can count your career number of starts/top 10s between my fingers, toes and dick, then maybe you shouldn't be there yet.

E: Win #129, with 21% of that coming in Cup.

21% of 129 is still more Cup wins than most people will ever get. He's just short of a 10% win average in his starts, and just under half of all his starts are top 10's. It's a goddamn impressive career. It's 23rd all time, and when you look at the list of people he has more wins than, it'll blow your mind. He's already had a better career than say, Ricky Rudd, Neil Bonnet, Harry Gant or Ernie Irvan, for example.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 2, 2014

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

That part I can be interested in, the fact that everyone wants to suck him off for 79% of his wins coming from lesser competition gets to me.

Jack-in-the-Bach
Oct 15, 2005

So I don't give a poo poo when the nationwide races are because kyle will probably poo poo up the race. And only 39 cars are showing up now, even with cup drivers. And kyle fans are still fine with it. Why am I not surprised.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

That part I can be interested in, the fact that everyone wants to suck him off for 79% of his wins coming from lesser competition gets to me.

It's not just that- it's that the Nationwide fields are loving awful these days. I mean, christ, gently caress Mark Martin, but the late 90s Busch Series actually had some quality Busch-only teams and drivers in it.

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o
When I started watching this race earlier, the channel I was watching it on started the race late, and was showing it delayed, about 30 laps or so behind. I didn't even notice that, during an ad break, they skipped forward these 30 laps to join the live stream. That's how terrible I felt the race was. I didn't even notice they skipped over 30 laps.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Fag Boy Jim posted:

It's not just that- it's that the Nationwide fields are loving awful these days. I mean, christ, gently caress Mark Martin, but the late 90s Busch Series actually had some quality Busch-only teams and drivers in it.

Wonder if opening up the trucks really ended up diluting everything too much.

I do like the trucks though, but there seems no reason why the Busch series still runs these days. Its essentially a sideshow to generate talking points for the cup race. ('Wow Kyle Busch won the race on Saturday can he sweep the weekend? (no))

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Uncle Jam posted:

Wonder if opening up the trucks really ended up diluting everything too much.

I do like the trucks though, but there seems no reason why the Busch series still runs these days. Its essentially a sideshow to generate talking points for the cup race. ('Wow Kyle Busch won the race on Saturday can he sweep the weekend? (no))
Economy and the Cup drivers/teams taking all the sponsorship/resources from Busch/Truck only teams with NASCAR looking the other way.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Economy and the Cup drivers/teams taking all the sponsorship/resources from Busch/Truck only teams with NASCAR looking the other way.

I don't think they are straight up taking them away. I recall hearing that the sponsors weren't going to materialize at all unless a cup driver was in the car. The economy part is right though.

However, how much can they cut more costs out of the nationwide cars to get more low level teams in without just turning into arca and killing that series.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Hint: taking all the Cup drivers out of Nationwide and Trucks is not going to 'save' Nationwide or Trucks.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

If you've won more then 50 Nationwide series races and your first name is Kyle you're only aloud to Race Sprint Cup races.

Boom.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Occupy Nationwide, the 1% is sucking it dry!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cygni posted:

Hint: taking all the Cup drivers out of Nationwide and Trucks is not going to 'save' Nationwide or Trucks.

Nobody thinks it will, but it should probably be done anyway.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I can't wait until Kyle gets in the HoF someday and NASCAR highlights all his Nationwide and Truck wins as triumphs when only a handful came as a regular. I'll give him credit for those and his Cup wins, but the rest of it is a farce. He even got so annoyed that he wasn't winning that his "KBM" 54 magically turned into a JGR car last season.

The part that pisses me off the most is that NASCAR is just NOW realizing "Ok, this might be a bit of a problem. Maybe we should stop drinking our own Kool-aid and admit this is stupid." when it's been this way for almost a decade.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

CBJSprague24 posted:

I can't wait until Kyle gets in the HoF someday and NASCAR highlights all his Nationwide and Truck wins as triumphs when only a handful came as a regular. I'll give him credit for those and his Cup wins, but the rest of it is a farce. He even got so annoyed that he wasn't winning that his "KBM" 54 magically turned into a JGR car last season.

The part that pisses me off the most is that NASCAR is just NOW realizing "Ok, this might be a bit of a problem. Maybe we should stop drinking our own Kool-aid and admit this is stupid." when it's been this way for almost a decade.

He won't be in the HOF for a long time because he is running down the exact same path as Mark Martin. At least Mark got his anger chilled out a lot earlier than Kyle, who will do so by who knows when.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Not sure if anyone reads or watches Al Jazeera America, but they had this really interesting piece on head restraints in lower racing series, including the very sad story of a driver that died from a broken neck sustained in a crash, while his HANS device collected dust in his truck. I had no idea HANS devices were that expensive. I doubt that's the only barrier to their use, but for a lot of racers on their local ovals, $600 is a pretty hefty price tag.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Elitist Bitch posted:

Not sure if anyone reads or watches Al Jazeera America, but they had this really interesting piece on head restraints in lower racing series, including the very sad story of a driver that died from a broken neck sustained in a crash, while his HANS device collected dust in his truck. I had no idea HANS devices were that expensive. I doubt that's the only barrier to their use, but for a lot of racers on their local ovals, $600 is a pretty hefty price tag.

I think the price tag is probably what keeps most tracks and series from mandating the HANS device. You got a lot of guys out there that a crash or part failure costing $600 could keep them from being able to show up the next week and if that big hunk of their racing budget is already spent before the season starts one crash could ruin their season. I know dropping $600 is better than dying but that isn't how any racer thinks.

I know a lot of drivers at the local level around me wear the Hutchens device which apparently didn't live up to its safety claims and why it was disallowed as an alternative to the HANS in higher levels of competition, per the Hutchens Wiki page. But a few of the guys I know wear that over the HANS because of comfort. Like the article mentioned I think a lot of guys who aren't mandated to use it find it really bulky and confining when they first start using it. I remember back on the Roush Gong Show the first laps that our old pal Danny O'Quinn Jr. ran he was almost taken off the show because he couldn't drive with the HANS on and was basically told get used to it or get out because its mandated in the levels of racing you're trying to run.

bigbillystyle fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 2, 2014

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

bigbillystyle posted:

You got a lot of guys out there that a crash or part failure costing $600 could keep them from being able to show up the next week and if that big hunk of their racing budget is already spent before the season starts one crash could ruin their season. I know dropping $600 is better than dying but that isn't how any racer thinks.
I think it's a combination of that mentality alongside the idea of 'My class is too slow for something like that to happen to me," which is pretty stupid.

I know a lot of tracks, at least in my experience, mandate HANS usage by division rather than overall for the facility. Most latemodel/srpint guys will have HANS or something in place, but most 4-banger/thundercar guys won't, even though thundercars for the most part are loving fast nowadays as well.

E: At the same time, if you're a racer and you can't afford the HANS device, too loving bad. If you're a track promoter using car count to justify not mandating it, you're a sack of poo poo.

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 2, 2014

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I'm surprised it's that cheap to be honest, remotely decent helmets are that price already.

I don't own one, but they wouldn't work in a kart anyway.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

From the semi-WTF department, Camping World has renewed sponsorship of the truck series for 8 more seasons.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

From the semi-WTF department, Camping World has renewed sponsorship of the truck series for 8 more seasons.

I can only assume they are driving RV's to Mexico and coming back a few kilos heavier.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Is there a stream? I'm stuck riding shotgun in a car for another hour or so :smithcloud:

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS

Doesn't surprise a ton. CW's sponsorship of trucks has been a major success for them, and a longer term deal ensures a lower year-over-year price for the title sponsorship and immediately helps secure the futures of the Truck series which NASCAR will like, probably driving the price down further. Win-win for the best series going :c00l:

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

I think it's a combination of that mentality alongside the idea of 'My class is too slow for something like that to happen to me," which is pretty stupid.
Oh yeah at the local level that has to be some of the sentiment. Our weekly track that we used to go to was a 3/8 mile track. So loving small. But late models and pro stocks easily hit over 100 mph on that track. Pro stocks were averaging laps in the high 80 mph range. If you had the throttle hang on that track you were pretty well hosed. I saw some guys get pretty lucky they were able to get out of their cars. One of the guys was in our Late Model division, throttle hung, hit the wall and just ramped up the wall somehow and flipped. He was wearing a Hutchens device at the time, came out completely uninjured. You could feel the thud in your chest when he hit the wall. That's no 30 mph accident.

E: We're racing little Pro 4 Modifieds now but they get going pretty fast and we even race at Thompson Speedway a couple times and that is a half mile track so they are cooking around that thing. Our driver doesn't wear any device aside from one of those like neck donut things and he kind of has the same attitude of, eh our car isn't that fast plus that kind of money is a couple tires so...no.

bigbillystyle fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 2, 2014

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Can we end sequestration yet, I miss military flyovers so much. :(

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Some Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Doesn't surprise a ton. CW's sponsorship of trucks has been a major success for them, and a longer term deal ensures a lower year-over-year price for the title sponsorship and immediately helps secure the futures of the Truck series which NASCAR will like, probably driving the price down further. Win-win for the best series going :c00l:
I was under the impression that they weren't impressed with the Fox Sports 1 deal and declining car counts, but it should add some stability.

Cygni posted:

Can we end sequestration yet, I miss military flyovers so much. :(
Why do you hate warbirds and vintage aircraft? :911:

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
No matter how early he parks, Morgan Shepherd driving at age 72 is pretty loving awesome.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010
Another boring single file race that will be won by Harvick or Logano... time to watch something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I'd say that 4 car is.... freaky fast :smug:

• Locked thread