Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

So, was unable to use the Blackberry trade in bonus at the same time I was using my Jump upgrade. Kinda sad.

But I might try today to use the Bb bonus on the wife's line. We have our own iPhone on it, so I should be able to get one of the Alcatel phones, that end up being 70$ or so, and use the rest of the credit toward the account, right? Also, should be able to just leave the Sim card in the iPhone, and sell the Alcatel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentata
Mar 29, 2012
I posted this in the prepaid thread a few days ago but didn't really get an answer so I'm cross postin' here. Basically I am wondering if T-Mo prepaid throttles only during peak times or something cause I wasn't throttled after I hit my data limit...was thinking I might switch to postpaid but maybe I won't need to:

This must be some sort of fluke.

I am on T-Mobile's $30 nerd plan and hit my 5GB 4G limit earlier today around 7 PM EST (I was torrenting some shows :ssh:) and within seconds of hitting the cap my speeds were throttled from a sweet, sweet ~3Mbps to an ungodly slow <20Kbps...when trying to browse the Play Store I frequently had timeouts and problems getting data at all. Ugh. Torture. Ran some speed tests and max speed I was getting was around 60Kbps.

Now it is 4:22 AM EST and I can't sleep so I opened my bittorrent app again to resume downloads and for some reason I am able to reach speeds of 2-3Mbps again... :iiam:

Does throttling only occur during peak times or am I just some sort of special snowflake?

If it's the latter, :ssh: don't tell T-Mobile.

Edit: Should maybe add that my plan resets in about 18 hours and I only have $0.04 in my account so I know I haven't been reset early or anything. And before anyone gets preachy about me torrenting via mobile data instead of WiFi, I am in the process of moving out of my apartment and in with my SO and my internet has been disconnected already, OK? Typically I use WiFi, haters. :colbert: And screenshots added for funsies.

My T-Mobile Account App:

Speedtest.net from last night a couple of hours after I hit my cap (it literally took 2 hours to download the app from the Play Store due to the throttling:

Speedtest.net from this morning:

God drat that is some loving fast internet. I love you T-Mobile.

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima

Loner-Assassin posted:

Ok guys, random question. I'm currently on the T-Mo prepaid $30 plan, but I'm headed to Europe in April and would like to do the unlimited text/data that comes with postpaid. Can I just call them, switch to postpaid for a month for that feature, then go back to prepaid when I get back to the US? (Since there's no contracts) My phone is a Google Play Nexus 5 and I have a prepaid sim inside atm.

My understanding is that you need to be on that plan for at least half as long as you are traveling (and you can roam internationally for a maximum of 3 months). How long will you be in Europe? If less than a month if you switch now you should be okay. If more than a month I would just get a local sim.

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom
A few rooms in my house, there is no signal at all. Outside the signal is fine. Is it T-Mobile or some interference with my WiFi?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

mpyro posted:

A few rooms in my house, there is no signal at all. Outside the signal is fine. Is it T-Mobile or some interference with my WiFi?

I'm leaning towards that it is T-Mobile versus your WiFi because T-Mobile can have poor building penetration. Call customer care and let then know you are getting poor signal in your house and they will send you out a signal booster.

dentata
Mar 29, 2012
Ugh has anyone on an Android device seen the update to the My T-Mobile app? What the hell is all this extra bullshit about "Device Health" and why the gently caress would I want all of these extra notifications from the app?! Doesn't T-Mo know that Android does all of this stuff already? :psyduck:

poo poo, rooting my phone makes my performance worse! :ohdear: :rolleyes:

Edit: \/\/\/ Yeah, I reverted to the old version. I thought using AppOps to control its permissions would stop some of that nonsense but that stupid device health thing was still enabled despite my efforts.

dentata fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 6, 2014

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Get rid of that app. It actually reminds you to reboot the phone once a week. That's insane.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

Get rid of that app. It actually reminds you to reboot the phone once a week. That's insane.
You can turn it off. There's a checkbox right there in the screenshots.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
You can still walk into a T-Mobile store and buy a brand new phone with gingerbread, so I've assumed it's there to keep folks on lovely hardware from calling customer service when their poo poo phone slows down after two days.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
T-Mobile is pretty sweet. :awesome:

Compared to my Sprint experience:

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...

Prescription Combs posted:

T-Mobile is pretty sweet. :awesome:

Compared to my Sprint experience:

High five, no-longer-with-Sprint buddy! My Sprint experience was actually a bit worse than yours (surprise!)
Both tests were run from my desk in Manhattan, and I'll let the picture speak for itself. Also, the Sprint test was ON LTE.

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima

dentata posted:

Ugh has anyone on an Android device seen the update to the My T-Mobile app? What the hell is all this extra bullshit about "Device Health" and why the gently caress would I want all of these extra notifications from the app?! Doesn't T-Mo know that Android does all of this stuff already? :psyduck:

poo poo, rooting my phone makes my performance worse! :ohdear: :rolleyes:

Edit: \/\/\/ Yeah, I reverted to the old version. I thought using AppOps to control its permissions would stop some of that nonsense but that stupid device health thing was still enabled despite my efforts.

I deleted the app soon after I downloaded it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Medikit posted:

I deleted the app soon after I downloaded it.
Because easily-disabled features bother you? Or because you didn't need something to show you your current minutes/text/data usage?

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Because easily-disabled features bother you? Or because you didn't need something to show you your current minutes/text/data usage?

With unlimited of all three, the app became a little pointless.

dentata
Mar 29, 2012

Even though I disabled all of that stuff and opted OUT of the "Device Health" monitoring thing, it was still collecting information about my device and posting the notification for it in my notification drawer. :(

Fortunately the old My Account app is listed as a "legacy" app or whatever in the Play Store and the one I downloaded was the "new version" of the app/a completely new app. I assume the old one won't get updated anymore (though the old legacy version has an update available with all of the new bullshit stuff). I kept the old version and will definitely NOT be updating that one if I can help it.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Exit Strategy posted:

With unlimited of all three, the app became a little pointless.

It's still useful for tracking tethered data usage since those are still capped. Especially since T-Mobile apparently doesn't count all the tethering data you use which third party apps won't take into account.

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima

I found that getting it out of my notification center was not so easy and I didn't need to follow my data usage that closely. Now I use an iPhone so it's not an issue.

I think you missed this comment:

quote:

...but that stupid device health thing was still enabled despite my efforts.

Medikit fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 7, 2014

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Just an update for anyone who is looking at the Early Termination Fee reimbursement program T-Mobile has going. I submitted my paperwork on January 30th and received verification that everything was accepted today (March 6th). The email I got said I should receive my prepaid credit card within 2 weeks.

I was concerned because the switch2tmobile website states that it can take 8 weeks from the time the application is approved. I called their help desk and got conflicting word but it looks like it really is 8 weeks from submission.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Simple Choice Plans just got better, with the possible exception of the unlimited $20 add-on now being 5GB and true unlimited being $30 more. Base level goes from 500MB to 1GB which is awesome and everyone's tethering allowance went up as well. There's some other ads as well:
http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/7/5482840/t-mobile-simple-choice-plans-more-data-international-texting

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Got a text from T-Mo about getting Shakira's new single for free. Is that sort of thing inevitable, or did I accidentally toggle some setting in my account?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

^^^^ I got that and immediately went to my tmobile and opted out of all promotions

They better let me stay on $20 unlimited data.

dentata
Mar 29, 2012

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Simple Choice Plans just got better, with the possible exception of the unlimited $20 add-on now being 5GB and true unlimited being $30 more. Base level goes from 500MB to 1GB which is awesome and everyone's tethering allowance went up as well. There's some other ads as well:
http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/7/5482840/t-mobile-simple-choice-plans-more-data-international-texting

Aww man! I wanted in on the $70 unlimited plan (I don't care about the tethering data cap) and now it's jumping up to $80. :(

It looks like I can be grandfathered in as long as I switch before 03/23 but I didn't plan on switching until later in the spring.

But overall their deal is still awesome and the change is in the right direction!

And I got the stupid Shakira text too. It's a good thing I have unlimited texting. :argh:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

^^^^ I got that and immediately went to my tmobile and opted out of all promotions

They better let me stay on $20 unlimited data.

Apparently they will. You just won't get the extra 2.5GB of tethering. And I'm OK with that. I don't tether much anyway, so getting 2.5GB every month for it instead of 5 is fine.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The teathering thing confuses me in that table... So under the basic plan do you get 1GB of 4G data, and then an additional 1GB of data for tethering, so 2Gb total? Or is that all just shared between 1GB of data?

Also, if you are using a older phone such as a iPhone 4 which doesn't have 4G data, is your internet connection pretty much unlimited? It's not like they will throttle you below 3G if you go over your plan, right?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I'm sure it's 1GB, of which 1GB can be tethering (sounds odd, but since some plans have less available to tether it obviously makes sense to emphasize it).

When you get throttled you go down to 2G speeds. I believe I've heard its between 56k and 128k.

edit: Just out of curiosity, how much data do you unlimited plan users end up using? Once I had the ability to start monitoring my data use I was shocked how little I actually used.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 8, 2014

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

According to the Data Sense app on my Windows Phone, I've used over 5.5 GB of data over the past 30 days. 4.2 GB of that was from internet sharing with my tablet which included streaming 480p and 720p videos from my internet browser. Over 500 MB went toward music streaming on my phone. This was done without really considering how much data I was using.

According to the T-Mobile app, I've used about 5 GB of data since February 10th and only 62 MB of tethering. I wonder how exactly that break down works out. :confused:

I guess I'm just on the cusp from T-Mobile's standpoint where the 5 GB plan could work for me if I was more mindful of my data. Although this is my usage during normal work weeks. Had I been on a trip or on the road, I may have used much more.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

BeastOfExmoor posted:

edit: Just out of curiosity, how much data do you unlimited plan users end up using? Once I had the ability to start monitoring my data use I was shocked how little I actually used.

I used 4.2GB last month and 2.5GB of tethering. 3.81GB + 2.5GB tethering the month before that. I imagine a lot of my cell data usage is just letting it download podcasts and stuff via mobile when I'm out and about, since I have unlimited, I don't have to care about that particularly.

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer
So I just went over to the T-Mobile store and switched my whole family over from Verizon. On my line, I got unlimited data. I'd done my math prior, but it came in $10 less per month than I thought it would be. Now I see it's because they changed the price of the unlimited plan over the last 24 hours :(.

Is there any point in complaining? I'd likely never use the full 5GB of tethering. Is there the possibility of getting on the $20/month Unlimited with 2.5GB plan?

Edit: Never mind the above!

Happy Pizza Guy fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Mar 9, 2014

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

b-b-but I'm right in the middle of the US...

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

FAUXTON posted:

b-b-but I'm right in the middle of the US...
Middle America ain't real america to T-Mobile

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cardboard Box A posted:

Middle America ain't real america to T-Mobile

To be perfectly honest it sometimes seems like an illusion to me too sometimes.

but we have an apple store and everything....

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
So I've been reading up on T-Mobile's various plans, preparing to switch from AT&T, and the $30/month nerd plan sounds pretty appealing to me. I've read some conflicting reports about the wifi calling feature, can anyone clarify? It seems like wifi calling would be a good way to avoid going over the 100 minute allotment, but I've read some reports that wifi calling still uses your minutes. Is this true? If so, is there any way around this?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Chill Penguin posted:

So I've been reading up on T-Mobile's various plans, preparing to switch from AT&T, and the $30/month nerd plan sounds pretty appealing to me. I've read some conflicting reports about the wifi calling feature, can anyone clarify? It seems like wifi calling would be a good way to avoid going over the 100 minute allotment, but I've read some reports that wifi calling still uses your minutes. Is this true? If so, is there any way around this?

From what I was told earlier in this thread, Wifi calling comes out of your 100 minutes. That's why the plan is so cheap.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Chill Penguin posted:

Wifi calling is using your internet connection instead of T-Mobile's network but still uses your minutes. You can use a VOIP solution like Vonage, Skype, or Groove Ip to call over an internet connection without using your T-Mobile minutes. That means you are calling on a different phone number besides your T-Mobile number. People get around the number part by using Google Voice but there is a major change coming to Google Voice early May that is going to stop that from being possible.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.
So I'm traveling in central Florida in an area where there is supposed to be LTE service but my iphone 5S doesn't seem to want to see it. All I get is edge and maybe 4G. According to tmobiles maps, I should be getting Good to Excellent LTE. I do get LTE in my home market and I saw LTE on the way here. The iphone 5S should have all of tmobiles LTE bands covered, right? I've reset my network settings, popped my SIM out, and I'm running 7.1 with the latest carrier profile. Anyone else seen this behavior before?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Chill Penguin posted:

Wifi calling still uses your minutes.
In theory once GVoice switches over to VOIP it would not use your minutes. Gonna get interesting once that happens within a few months.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

gariig posted:

Wifi calling is using your internet connection instead of T-Mobile's network but still uses your minutes. You can use a VOIP solution like Vonage, Skype, or Groove Ip to call over an internet connection without using your T-Mobile minutes. That means you are calling on a different phone number besides your T-Mobile number. People get around the number part by using Google Voice but there is a major change coming to Google Voice early May that is going to stop that from being possible.

Not true. Vonage makes phone calls using your own number.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="426784547"]
Not true. Vonage makes phone calls using your own number.

It just spoofs your number (and requires validation to make sure you actually have that phone number) but yeah, Vonage is great for not eating up minutes during outgoing calls while being totally transparent to whoever you're calling.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Brock Landers posted:

So I'm traveling in central Florida in an area where there is supposed to be LTE service but my iphone 5S doesn't seem to want to see it. All I get is edge and maybe 4G. According to tmobiles maps, I should be getting Good to Excellent LTE. I do get LTE in my home market and I saw LTE on the way here. The iphone 5S should have all of tmobiles LTE bands covered, right? I've reset my network settings, popped my SIM out, and I'm running 7.1 with the latest carrier profile. Anyone else seen this behavior before?

When I was in Florida last, I had problems with some of the MetroPCS towers not auto-configuring and leaving me on Edge. I just had to add the MetroPCS APNs on a smartphone, but a dumphone refused to get a signal at all. If I recall correctly, the LTE APN I used was fast.metropcs.com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
So, I'm trying to do iphone 5s on the geek plan, more appropriate named the 'walmart plan' as t-mobile knows it. I've gone through about 10 minutes at a t-mobile store, 10 minutes at the apple store to buy it, and about an hour and a half on the phone.

* When I was at the T-mobile store, they charge about $40 more for an iphone bought outright, so I didn't. They said the plan is online only. I ask to buy two sim cards, assuming I'll need them for the iphone and the nexus 5 I plan to buy later.
* Apple sold me a phone pretty easily. Sold back the 4S for $175.
* I called T-mobile #1 (attempting to activate without an activation code, as Apple doesn't include one). Passed among 3 departments. I get entirely through the process of everything, get to 'which plan', and they say I need an activation code from the T-Mobile store, which is now closed. Then they just hang up on me, because I started to grouse.
* I called the Apple store. I get dumped to their applecare line, which is not in store, as I'm asking for the activation code for this phone. Get through to a guy, explain it, guy goes away for 10 minutes, come back, hangs up on me. But don't worry, he took my number! Doesn't call back.
* Call back in to Apple store. Start process all over again. He then explains I need to talk to t-mobile, as they don't have activation codes. Promises to pass me to a tmobile rep.
* Passed to tmobile rep, he repeatedly says 'he'll help me in a single call'. Passes me to another group, who passes me to another one, who passes me to another one.
* Back to the T-mobile #1 group, who gathers all the information. again. And I again get to the 'which plan section', and they say I need an activation code from walmart.

I am now off to walmart, wish me luck. I'm pretty annoyed at t-mobile.

tldr: don't try the nerd plan by buying from apple, buy from walmart. It is the 'walmart plan'.