Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

It's 2014 and Mayhem still exist somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

5er posted:

Somehow I thought a recent reply in this thread was responsible for getting me to pull up a few Brujeria songs on youtube. Maybe related links or something. It was a trip google-translating some of the lyrics, these guys don't hold back explaining how they feel.

Oh yeah, Brujeria. The guys who did this.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

kirkjames posted:

Ahhh, stoked to hear some Cosmic Church talk. Slept on buying the Ylistys LP and now I'm kicking myself, though I did manage to grab a copy of the Arcana Dei Trilogy, a comp of their early stuff. Awesome band, Ylistys is definitely top 5 black metal albums of 2013.

Is this comp still available? I'd be interested to hear that. I slept on the LP as well but I think a repress is coming soon. I'm keeping my eye out and I'll post in here when I come across it. That label is great, I really need to pick up some Keres stuff from them.

New Mayhem track sounded dull and sterile.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

nomapple posted:

Is this comp still available? I'd be interested to hear that. I slept on the LP as well but I think a repress is coming soon. I'm keeping my eye out and I'll post in here when I come across it. That label is great, I really need to pick up some Keres stuff from them.

New Mayhem track sounded dull and sterile.

Comp is out of print for now, Analog Worship randomly put up a couple copies that were being held and I grabbed one :unsmigghh:

Anyone else still sleeping on Ylistys, quit being a false and check it. quality nature-worshipping orthodox black metal.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

kirkjames posted:

orthodox black metal.

What does this actually mean, because I've seen it used for bands that don't really sound similar at all, like Watain and Deathspell Omega.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

A human heart posted:

What does this actually mean, because I've seen it used for bands that don't really sound similar at all, like Watain and Deathspell Omega.

Theistic Satanism.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
That, and REALLY DISSONANT RIFFS BRO

It makes a bit less sense to me than calling "atmospheric black metal" a subgenre.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

A human heart posted:

Mostly for bands with theistic Satanist lyrics and beliefs. Musically it varies as you have noticed between stuff like Deathspell Omega, particularly with the really dissonant arpeggios, of which you have bands like Svartidauđi, Hell Militia, etc. To other stuff like Funeral Mist, Mgła and Katharsis, all falling under the orthodox banner.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Gamma Nerd posted:

That, and REALLY DISSONANT RIFFS BRO

Not especially. Look at Ofermod's Mysterion Tes Anomias (who you could argue really kicked off the modern glut of OBM) and of course Watain, who've popularized the poo poo out of it. Really melodic stuff. Granted, Swedish, but still.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Gamma Nerd posted:

It makes a bit less sense to me than calling "atmospheric black metal" a subgenre.
What would it be, if not a sub-genre?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Countess self-classifies as orthodox black metal, which is really just shorthand for Orlok to say "look, I really like 80s metal and also black metal and I like to mix them up".

And since he has been going at it since the early 90s I pretend that he started that whole thing.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

A human heart posted:

Orthodox black metal is to make black metal music about praising the gods defined by the musicians. Not just theistic satanism necessarily, but also luciferianism and chaotic gnosticism. Watain are often characterized as a luciferian black metal band. Deathspell Omega are considered more of band that promotes orthodox satanism. It doesn't have a whole lot to do with the band's sound as much as it does their lyrical content.

It's not all just black metal anymore. :black101:

Baron Von Ghoulosh fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 20, 2014

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

My categories are 'I like this' and 'I don't like this.'

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Deathspell Omega looked at the state of black metal in 2002 and thought "you know what this needs? This needs to take itself much, much more serious."

Shaxul doesn't take himself that seriously and makes kickass black/thrash/speed instead of lovely Gorgutz 'n' Mathcore black metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFsKDJnV9Ks

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Two new songs from The Great Old Ones' upcoming album Tekeli-li

In related news, I just ordered this package:

Normally limited editions are a tacky waste of time, but I fell for this one. The big box edition is limited to 150 copies, only 75 with At The Mountains Of Madness in English.

That aside, I recently received my copy of Dayal Patterson's "Black Metal: Evolution of the Cult". I'm around half-way through it, and so far it is by far the best and most comprehensive insight into the evolution of the black metal genre and scene I've ever seen. Highlights involve the story of how VON was formed, and a characteristically melodramatic tale of Tom G. Warrior's troubled childhood. The chronicle begins with Coven and Black Sabbath, and seems to stretch until today's trends of post-black metal and the depressive wave. Recommended reading if you're tired of hearing the same old story of church-burning and murder, and instead want something with a greater focus on the music itself. I consider myself pretty well-versed in the story of the genre, but I keep learning new stories and tidbits for every chapter of this 500-page behemoth.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

ElectricWizard posted:

Two new songs from The Great Old Ones' upcoming album Tekeli-li

In related news, I just ordered this package:

Normally limited editions are a tacky waste of time, but I fell for this one. The big box edition is limited to 150 copies, only 75 with At The Mountains Of Madness in English.

That aside, I recently received my copy of Dayal Patterson's "Black Metal: Evolution of the Cult". I'm around half-way through it, and so far it is by far the best and most comprehensive insight into the evolution of the black metal genre and scene I've ever seen. Highlights involve the story of how VON was formed, and a characteristically melodramatic tale of Tom G. Warrior's troubled childhood. The chronicle begins with Coven and Black Sabbath, and seems to stretch until today's trends of post-black metal and the depressive wave. Recommended reading if you're tired of hearing the same old story of church-burning and murder, and instead want something with a greater focus on the music itself. I consider myself pretty well-versed in the story of the genre, but I keep learning new stories and tidbits for every chapter of this 500-page behemoth.

I would've really liked a copy of that TGOO preorder, but they were all really expensive, even the reg vinyl was over €30. I don't really like dropping that kind of money on a record unless the quality is assured (i.e a label with a good rep like Blood Music is doing it).

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Anyone hear Murmur's S/T yet? I'm really digging it. It really reminds me of Court of The Crimson King-era King Crimson (or Comus' First Utterance now that I think about it), but it's also black metal as hell.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Fans of Windir/Hammerheart era Bathory/Folky BM that isn't totally camp should listen to this: http://www.terrorizer.com/news/streams/ifing-premiere-new-song-stream-exclusively-terrorizer/

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Mael Mordha have lost their lead singer.

Still, this could go in interesting directions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niUXqnDInx8

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Do Behemoth perform well live? I am seeing them next month.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Kvlt! posted:

Do Behemoth perform well live? I am seeing them next month.

Definitely. One of the best live bands I've ever seen.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
I'd go to that gig just for Inquisition, because they're among the best modern metal bands in any genre. Yeah, even though they're playing for 20 minutes (they're touring on their own after their tour with Behemoth finishes, though)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I'm also really excited for 1349 (possibly my favorite black metal band) and Goatwhore.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
If anyone's interested and can make it, Negura Bunget is playing in a bar the size of my living room in Baltimore on May 10.

https://www.facebook.com/events/691623807524666/

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

The Smart Baseball Dargon Sez:

"Baseball is chaos!"

His bat is signed by Carl "Yaz" Yastrzemski
My favorite black metal release of 2014 so far (though I have the sneaking suspicion Tekeli-Li might dethrone it):

Aastraal - Tuba Mirum Spargens Sonum Per Sepulcra Regionum, Coget Omnes Ante Thronum (note: yes, you can buy their album for 666 Euro... aka they aren't really selling because they're looking for a label). Avant-garde black metal with chamber chanting.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
:siren: NEW SVARTIDAUDI TRACK :siren:

http://svartidaudi.bandcamp.com/

Still come back to Flesh Cathedral regularly, so I am excited to hear more. Under two weeks til the London date with Mgla as well, can't wait!

Hawaii_Lame-O posted:

My favorite black metal release of 2014 so far (though I have the sneaking suspicion Tekeli-Li might dethrone it):

Aastraal - Tuba Mirum Spargens Sonum Per Sepulcra Regionum, Coget Omnes Ante Thronum (note: yes, you can buy their album for 666 Euro... aka they aren't really selling because they're looking for a label). Avant-garde black metal with chamber chanting.

Is there anywhere to get the album without paying €666? Doesn't it make more sense to self-release on bandcamp and try and get a label for the vinyl release or something?

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
That Svartidaudi is awesome, love that lead guitar sound.

Also this is coming, someone put the date on metal-archives as March 31. Their Facebook mentioned the title back at the beginning of January, otherwise nothing official.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Hawaii_Lame-O posted:

Is this a Mories de Jong thing? Sounds a lot like Cloak of Altering.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

nomapple posted:

:siren: NEW SVARTIDAUDI TRACK :siren:

http://svartidaudi.bandcamp.com/

Still come back to Flesh Cathedral regularly, so I am excited to hear more. Under two weeks til the London date with Mgla as well, can't wait!

I wish so much that tour was coming to America. Wonderful news on the new Svartidauđi though, it's only two songs, but can't wait.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

And the award for most terrible band photo goes to...

Emperor! :gonk:

How does Ihsahn look at that neckbeard in the morning and not want to cut his own face off?

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

The Smart Baseball Dargon Sez:

"Baseball is chaos!"

His bat is signed by Carl "Yaz" Yastrzemski

skasion posted:

Is this a Mories de Jong thing? Sounds a lot like Cloak of Altering.

When I played this in a room on plug.dj, I got asked the same thing by someone there. Honestly, I do not know. I don't think this information is even available.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Woolie Wool posted:

And the award for most terrible band photo goes to...

But look how debonair Faust looks. :3:

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Woolie Wool posted:

How does Ihsahn look at that neckbeard in the morning and not want to cut his own face off?

It's got nothing on this mean-rear end mullet.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I feel like I really should hate Faust for being a horrible murderer who AFAIK never expressed any remorse, but I'm actually glad they threw out Trym Torson. I wonder if they had to clean all the gism from around the drum kit after every live gig with him.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

It's got nothing on this mean-rear end mullet.

Edit: Nevermind. Proved myself wrong.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Woolie Wool posted:

I feel like I really should hate Faust for being a horrible murderer who AFAIK never expressed any remorse, but I'm actually glad they threw out Trym Torson. I wonder if they had to clean all the gism from around the drum kit after every live gig with him.

Fairly certain Faust showed a great deal of remorse and looked at his prison time as being a very good thing which aged him from being a stupid kid who committed such a heinous crime to a mature adult? Maybe I'm remembering wrongly though?

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
That horrible band pic looks like the cast of Clerks.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Killsion posted:

Fairly certain Faust showed a great deal of remorse and looked at his prison time as being a very good thing which aged him from being a stupid kid who committed such a heinous crime to a mature adult? Maybe I'm remembering wrongly though?

Is he not also the one that wrapped Until the Light Takes Us by cutting himself and stabbing a sofa while tripping over the cushions?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

IRQ posted:

Is he not also the one that wrapped Until the Light Takes Us by cutting himself and stabbing a sofa while tripping over the cushions?

No, that was Frost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
Nothing on M-A or the Profound Lore website yet, but Agalloch just announced a record release show for their new album, "The Serpent and the Sphere," for May 16.