Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Corek posted:

Topher Grace (lol) has released a trailer for his 85-minute prequel recutting:

http://cerealprize.com/trailers/redux-of-the-jedi

"His combined prequel trilogy moves quickly and omits huge chucks of story in favor of action and streamlining the narrative events of the prequels. Gone are the politics, General Grievous, Jar Jar Binks (except for one shot), the clone army, and about 99% of the first movie."

I really hope this gets onto the internet somehow. I think it'd be interesting to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Adam Driver is a really weird choice for a Star Wars movie, which is really encouraging, because if there's anything these upcoming films could use, it's some personality.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I really hope this gets onto the internet somehow. I think it'd be interesting to see.

I'm surprised no one has attempted something similar.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Yaws posted:

I'm surprised no one has attempted something similar.

They have. There's at least a dozen fanedits of varying quality that condense the entire prequel trilogy into one movie. I've yet to see one that isn't a mess.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Why would you cut out Grievous, everything about him owns.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

robot roll call posted:

Why would you cut out Grievous, everything about him owns.

People rag on Grievous because he's such an over-the-top mustache twirling villain but that's what I like about him. He's funny. Though that almost certainly wasn't the intention.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Yaws posted:

People rag on Grievous because he's such an over-the-top mustache twirling villain but that's what I like about him. He's funny. Though that almost certainly wasn't the intention.

He's literally goddamn Robot Count Orlok, of course he's supposed to be ridiculous.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

mr. stefan posted:

He's literally goddamn Robot Nosferatu, of course he's supposed to be ridiculous.

And with a video game boss glowing weak spot.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Yaws posted:

My problem was that they completely neutered him. If you didn't see the original Clone Wars cartoons, you'd be left thinking, "This twat killed a bunch of Jedi?" He spends about 90% of his screen time running like a bitch instead of being the Jedi-murdering abomination he was supposed to be.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

My problem was that they completely neutered him. If you didn't see the original Clone Wars cartoons, you'd be left thinking, "This twat killed a bunch of Jedi?" He spends about 90% of his screen time running like a bitch instead of being the Jedi-murdering abomination he was supposed to be.

What was Grievous like in the EU before the films? Because it's funny how he is always OP in any video game.

SirDrone fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Mar 1, 2014

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SirDrone posted:

What was Grievous like in the EU before the films? Because it's funny how he is always OP in any video game.

He's like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIj7gIDFDe4

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Have you thought that perhaps the cartoon tie-in wasn't what 'he was supposed to be'?

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Lucas said in behind the scenes content that he didn't want to just make another Darth Vader-type villain with Grievous, so he made him a dying creature in a robot suit with a lightsaber.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Hbomberguy posted:

Lucas said in behind the scenes content that he didn't want to just make another Darth Vader-type villain with Grievous, so he made him a dying creature in a robot suit with a lightsaber.

lol

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Yeah but he had a bad cough and was feeling a bit under the weather. Mandroidfluenza can keep anyone down.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Corek posted:

Topher Grace (lol) has released a trailer for his 85-minute prequel recutting:

http://cerealprize.com/trailers/redux-of-the-jedi

"His combined prequel trilogy moves quickly and omits huge chucks of story in favor of action and streamlining the narrative events of the prequels. Gone are the politics, General Grievous, Jar Jar Binks (except for one shot), the clone army, and about 99% of the first movie."

This needs to leak out somehow. The universe demands it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The problem with fanedits are that they're edited by idiots who cut things for content and don't realize how a ton of things like camera motions between scenes, framing, and the goddman score contribute to a film. Oh, yeah, you cut out Jar Jar being stupid, but now there's a huge score jump that completely ruins the orchestration at this point. Wonderful job.

However, every blue moon, someone makes an edit that understands these things, and they turn out pretty good. Like the T3 edit I saw that actually makes it a worthy sequel to the first two somehow.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Darko posted:

However, every blue moon, someone makes an edit that understands these things, and they turn out pretty good. Like the T3 edit I saw that actually makes it a worthy sequel to the first two somehow.

War of the Stars has a pretty entertaining first act but then it just sort of turns into Star Wars with a Sony Vegas Filter once they get to the Death Star.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Darko posted:

The Coming Storm?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

The insistence that these characters are supposed to be badass only gets funnier the more it's expressed.

Every time JarJar steps in the poo poo, noses scrunch up and plaintive nos are emitted, because it's supposed to be badass why isn't this badass?

Meanwhile, back in the original films, the badass characters are can be counted on two fingers, and one gets lodged in a massive vagina.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The insistence that these characters are supposed to be badass only gets funnier the more it's expressed.

Every time JarJar steps in the poo poo, noses scrunch up and plaintive nos are emitted, because it's supposed to be badass why isn't this badass?

Meanwhile, back in the original films, the badass characters are can be counted on two fingers, and one gets lodged in a massive vagina.

So the collection of dead Jedi trophies is indicative of his being an ineffective fighter?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

mr. stefan posted:

War of the Stars has a pretty entertaining first act but then it just sort of turns into Star Wars with a Sony Vegas Filter once they get to the Death Star.

War of the Stars II on the other hand, is a pretty interesting beast. It's essentially a 3 hour supercut of ESB and ROTJ, and manages to pull off some pretty significant story changes while maintaining a sense of technical competency. Like, Luke literally kills Vader at the end and becomes the new Sith apprentice of Palpatine, or rather his ghost since Vader let Luke take him out as part of his plan to usurp him (an alternate ending to the whole "Palps goading Luke to grab his saber and strike him down" scene). Of course, this doesn't happen in a vacuum; there are story changes along the way to accommodate this radical departure in characterization such as Vader just being the bad dude who killed Luke's father instead of, you know.

In the end, it's a really intriguing experimental piece in making an "alternate" Star Wars and remains one of my favorite edits to this day. :shobon:

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Perhaps a transitive point is being made re: the Jedis contradictory messaging vs. actual expression.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

So the collection of dead Jedi trophies is indicative of his being an ineffective fighter?

The Jedi are pretty easy to kill if they don't have plot armor. See also: The entire loving star wars prequel films, animated series and video games.

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

The absolute worst example of this was during an episode with Fett, where Ahsoka and Grievous were in a fight on the top of a hill, and Ahsoka bests him in a duel.

That. Was. Horrible.

(Or an excellent example of her wearing plot armor, take your pick.)

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

RunAndGun posted:

The absolute worst example of this was during an episode with Fett, where Ahsoka and Grievous were in a fight on the top of a hill, and Ahsoka bests him in a duel.

He also got beat up by Jar Jar's :v:, can't wait for the CGI rebels cartoon to feature a episode where the cast trick darth vader with cardboard stand-in's.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SirDrone posted:

He also got beat up by Jar Jar's :v:, can't wait for the CGI rebels cartoon to feature a episode where the cast trick darth vader with cardboard stand-in's.

Linke me a video of this, I need to see Jar Jar whooping Grievous's rear end. Canon!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Yaws posted:

People rag on Grievous because he's such an over-the-top mustache twirling villain

http://imgur.com/Xo1ftwy

I love that I saved so many star wars gifs from that old episode III thread in GBS years ago.

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Corek posted:

Linke me a video of this, I need to see Jar Jar whooping Grievous's rear end. Canon!

Not Jar Jar. Jar Jars. Plural.

A bunch Gungans surrounded Greivous and captured him. A massive... 1... of them died. And it was a planned death, in fact. So no +1 on the kill board for Grievous.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Luke kills a few million people. He spends the whole first film being a total dorkus, and the whole second film being constantly shat on. He's not badass at all.

Another example of a loser who kills lots of people: Anakin Skywalker.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Luke kills a few million people. He spends the whole first film being a total dorkus, and the whole second film being constantly shat on. He's not badass at all.

Another example of a loser who kills lots of people: Anakin Skywalker.

And Episode 6 is basically Luke trying to fight the temptation to be a badass because he's seen through it. Luke's victory is rejecting the badass cycle of violence.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

penismightier posted:

The Coming Storm?

I believe that was it, yes.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Darko posted:

I believe that was it, yes.

I don't think it makes it anywhere near on par with 1 or 2, but it really is amazing how much more watchable that version is, idn't it?

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
What was that version of Eps IV-VI where the guy tried to remove all the special edition changes but then added digital changes of his own like more AT-ATs and a 3D death star image? That was the best Star Wars edit because it was basically alternate universe Special Edition.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Corek posted:

What was that version of Eps IV-VI where the guy tried to remove all the special edition changes but then added digital changes of his own like more AT-ATs and a 3D death star image? That was the best Star Wars edit because it was basically alternate universe Special Edition.

I forget what it was called but iirc he even wanted to go as far as actually filming some new scenes? Oi.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Srice posted:

I forget what it was called but iirc he even wanted to go as far as actually filming some new scenes? Oi.

To defeat the Lucas, you must become the Lucas.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Srice posted:

Oh yeah, that. If it's the same version (there's probably several, god drat it star wars), the guy is also adding completely pointless changes that even Lucas wouldn't have bothered with, like giving the injector-robot that interrogates Leia a more lazer-y syringe instead of, you know, a syringe.

At this point we might as well burn all star wars material and start from scratch. Anyone wanna pop over to Tunisia to make some star wars?

EDIT: http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/14e5cd158f/next-star-wars is still the best star-wars related thing ever made.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

And keep in mind, that over the course of two films, this "badass" doesn't actually do anything.

I mean, okay, he follows the Millennium Falcon, but that's about it. The moment Leia and the gang are freed, he runs away like a little bitch. There's no stand off, no confrontation to show that he's earned his reputation. He only confronts Han after Darth Vader disarms him.

Boba Fett was pussy.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Boba Fett is a great joke. He looks cool, and that's why he goes out like a chump, then in the past his clone dad looks cool and goes out like a chump, and millions and millions of copies of him become the ultimate chumps to go out like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Everyone knows the podrace scene is a Ben Hur reference. It's one of those things that's just taken for granted. But what does this mean?

Context for those who haven't seen it: Ben Hur's full title, from the original book, is Ben Hur: A Tale Of The Christ.

Ben is a wealthy Jewish prince who falls in love with a slave girl. However, an antisemetic Roman commander jails him for basically being too uppity. Ben works his way up from slavery to get revenge, eventually competing in a no-rules chariot battle against the same evil Roman. Ben succeeds despite the Roman's dirty tricks - but the victory is undermined when the dying villain reveals that Ben's mother and sister have been forced into homelessness and become lepers.

Everything seems lost until Ben is reunited with the slave-girl he loved, who tells him about this cool new guy named Jesus. Ben gives up his vengeance against the Romans and converts to Christianity. Long story short, Jesus dies on the cross and, as his final miracle, cures all the lepers - including Ben's family. They all live happily ever after.

What's notable here is that in Phantom Menace, the scenario is totally reversed. It's not just Ben Hur In Space. Phantom Menace 'remixes' this imagery, completely altering its meaning: Anakin is not a prince in love with a slave, but a slave in love with a wealthy queen. The oppressive villain is not an imperial stooge but a smalltime ethnic gangster. And, of course, the charioteer in Phantom Menace is not a future christian but Christ himself - the Christ of this galaxy.

Then, the ending: when Anakin' mother and is found dying, Anakin slaughters the alien 'lepers' who made her this way. He then vows to acquire the magic powers to cure both her and his love, the queen.

The total result is the the Star Wars prequels function as a response to, and critique of, Ben Hur's happy-ending version of Christianity. The fantasy of having your family restored to harmony by magic as a reward for 'good behaviour', the desire to have your wealth restored, the blaming of certain groups for preventing this harmony, etc., etc.....

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 2, 2014

• Locked thread