Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Tyranny through democracy! This is mostly because I mentioned this contest to my friend and she wanted to see Flareon from Twitch Plays Pokemon as a villain.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Ramos posted:

Tyranny through democracy! This is mostly because I mentioned this contest to my friend and she wanted to see Flareon from Twitch Plays Pokemon as a villain.

You should give it the Will of the Council keyword like Magister of Worth.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Archenteron posted:

You should give it the Will of the Council keyword like Magister of Worth.

Good idea.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Hermetian posted:

Tap: Target opponent discards his hand. Then sacrifice this card.

Lightning greaves. You can target yourself, too. *shrug*

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012
I'm not sure if these quite meet the level of block villains, but there really aren't that many topics which allow me to design planeswalkers, so let's go for it.

The original Tibalt was a valiant experiment at making a two mana planeswalker, but I don't think he quite got there, wherever there was. So here's a potential three mana version for when he comes back. I like how he can protect himself, but in the douchiest way possible.

Not entirely sure if the bottom ability fits into the color pie, but Mark Rosewater seemed to have no problem with Browbeat, so I think the punisher ability makes it safe to stretch.

The original Ashiok is actually totally fine, I just had this idea for a planewalker design that involved exiling a bunch of cards and thought it was a perfect fit for him/her.

Also, gonna admit, I don't actually pay enough attention to Magic lore to know if Ashiok is a villain or not, but jesus just look at it.

My take on a cult leader villain. Flavorwise, my idea was that she uses magic masks to make her followers do her bidding.

GyroNinja fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Feb 27, 2014

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Okay, so did you hear about that one anime where they wear clothes? No? Probably best that way.

Satsuki is the President of the Student Council, the organization that runs literal hundreds of other school organizations, which gives her the power to fling all of her useless subordinates at all of those pesky problems. And she does so quite regularly actually on her path to total world domination. Is also rather obsessed with purifying the school of the unworthy. All around really white and tyrannical.

Also only gets involved once the body count is high enough and proceeds to cause even more mass destruction upon entry. The backside is an intentional reference to Konda, yes. I figured as she is, she's nicely combo-y for Johnny while still being and bomb-y for Timmy. Spike appeal? v:v:v I think she's tough enough to see play in at least a round of standard, depending on the meta. The main issue is her activated ability which may need to be bumped up to XWW?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Ramos posted:

Also only gets involved once the body count is high enough and proceeds to cause even more mass destruction upon entry. The backside is an intentional reference to Konda, yes. I figured as she is, she's nicely combo-y for Johnny while still being and bomb-y for Timmy. Spike appeal? v:v:v I think she's tough enough to see play in at least a round of standard, depending on the meta. The main issue is her activated ability which may need to be bumped up to XWW?
The front side's first ability will never trigger the second, since Exiling is not dying. Also, rustling up someone who doesn't have haste is kinda dumb and bad (though, I suppose, well within White's slice of the pie)

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Tharizdun posted:

The front side's first ability will never trigger the second, since Exiling is not dying. Also, rustling up someone who doesn't have haste is kinda dumb and bad (though, I suppose, well within White's slice of the pie)

Sure it can, you tutor up guys during combat to block, or pitch them to sac outlets. It's just gonna be hard to make three things die on your turn that aren't her.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

As Mikujin says, she is supposed to largely summon blockers and that was the easiest way to type it up in the shortest space that I could think of. The exile effect is partially because she's white, partially because you do have to fling the peons at death. I mean, you really have no reason to jump into battle if you just summoned three dudes that sat around and did nothing before poofing.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Ramos posted:

Good idea.

Not 'each player votes for anarchy or democracy'? :v:

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

For some reason, this is the only thing I can think of when I look at Magister of Worth.

GyroNinja fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 28, 2014

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

GyroNinja posted:

For some reason, this is the only thing I can think of when I look at Magister of Worth.
Tiniest quibble: Unless you're a Whippoorwill, flying in the art means you should have flying in the text box.

v v MUCH Better :cool:

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 28, 2014

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

Tharizdun posted:

Tiniest quibble: Unless you're a Whippoorwill, flying in the art means you should have flying in the text box.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
Time for the results!

5th Place - Gyrmar, the Unmatched by Sleepy Owl

Cool big green scary guy. I prefer the ability as fighting since it fits green better, but keywording it doesn't work since fighting is two creatures only. Maybe it would be best if it worked like Master of the Wild Hunt? Kind of awkward that he's a heavy green six drop that punishes you for running mana dorks.

4th Place - Etherbound Trio by Zephirum

I like the ability a lot. Very powerful, if maybe a bit slow. They don't really seem like they'd be the final boss, though. Having them be a big esper villain that doesn't actually include all three colors is also a bit odd.

3rd place - Skotophor, Unbowed by Sleep of Bronze

The top 3 were pretty close. The protection from devotion ability is great. I'm not actually sure why you decided to go with B/R over B/W, since all the protection seems like a better fit for white and I'm not really sure what is bringing mechanically. Minus points for being a male angel.

2nd Place - Yawgmoth, God of Phyrexia by GyroNinja

I had a bit of a tough time deciding which GyroNinja card should go in the top 5. Yawgmoth is just too sweet to pass up, though. There's not much to say about this card because he basically does exactly the kind of ridiculous thing he should. Kind of comparable to Gristlebrand, except you probably have to untap with him to get value.

1st Place - Metatron, Voice of God by Ramos

I wasn't sold on this card at first, but after the revisions he turned out fantastic. His ability is not only very cool and powerful, It's a great villain ability, with the potential to create real desperation or despair. I wish he fit magic flavor a bit better, but he's just too good not to give the win. Doesn't get minus points for being a male angel 'cause he's also a robot.

RamosGyroNinja is the winner! Again! Can't wait to see what we're doing this time.

vvvv alright, then.

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 28, 2014

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Oh, well poo poo, thank you. Sadly, this also runs head long into my week long vacation where I won't have access to a computer for over a week. Go ahead and let GyroNinja have the spot for deciding this week's theme.

edit: It also occurs to me Metatron doesn't work as intended. It should be "player with three or more indictment counters" to keep from having someone go over the top and avoid punishment.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 28, 2014

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Well, good thing that I gave you the idea to lock the player up in baby jail Ramos :smug:

Nah, it was a cool design congrats on the win!

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012
I'm not sure if I should be happy that I technically win or upset that I basically lost this week and am effectively disqualified from the next, but hopefully I'll figure it out by the time I'm ready with next weeks topic.

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012
Alright, this week's topic was actually something I thought of during Alris' 8 words challenge.

I want you to design for me a card that could reasonably be printed at common in a modern set.

Mark Rosewater's New World Order article should pretty much be required reading for this contest.

The key to good commons is that they should be simple and elegant. They can also be powerful, but keep limited in mind when making them; R&D has stated that Dark Banishing should be considered the new upper limit in power when it comes to commons in limited. Things to avoid would be things like repeatable card advantage effects, or removal capable of dealing with multiple creatures at a low mana cost, or obvious things like overrun or mind control effects. Cards like Sprout Swarm, Rolling Thunder, or Pestilence are good examples of things that just shouldn't be done at common anymore.

As for constructed power level, that's not important. I love Pauper, and wouldn't mind seeing cards designed with that format in mind, but don't be afraid to post cards that are mainly for limited. As long as its playable over a 19th land, I won't mind.

If you have any ideas for new keywords, this is a great time to use them. If you have some new ideas for old keywords, now is a good time to use them, too. If there are any other questions, feel free to ask. Otherwise, get to posting cards!

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Here's some cards showing off a simple ability word I thought of a while ago.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Making people design commons, especially NWO commons because I'm a firm supporter of NWO's principles, makes me happy. It's something you would need to be good at as a real designer and can be really quite hard.

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 28, 2014

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Let's get kraken guys.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I know the ability makes it more of a green card but I DON'T CARE

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

U-DO Burger posted:

I know the ability makes it more of a green card but I DON'T CARE

best creature type line ever.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

While the current reminder text for Infect specifies creatures, the Comp Rules definition doesn't, so the card is essentially fine in present day Magic.
I wish either that MSE's vector image plugin was a bit more flexible or that I understood it better because I couldn't quite get the NPH symbol looking right when I was mocking it up. Making/remaking new set symbols for these cards is starting to become a dangerous distraction.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

It's morph, only for instants (probably better to keep it at instant to avoid timing questions).

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

U-DO Burger posted:

It's morph, only for instants (probably better to keep it at instant to avoid timing questions).

Weird, I was thinking of the notion of instants with Morph earlier, I think from the talk in the other thread about Morph and the Onslaught set symbol.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

A cycle based on the cohorts from Shadowmoor. They were generally uninspiring: getting a vanilla 4/3 for 6 which is conditionally a 5/4? O frabjous day! So, in return for making their condition rather more restrictive, I jumped their power level to make them much higher picks in your later packs if think you can meet that condition.

Vorel, the Simic maze runner, was from the Hull Clade but there are others, including the Crypsis whose arena is security and secrecy.

Nicked the picture from old RAV concept art. Dimir do have a thing in both blocks, probably encouraged by the vampire presence in the guild, of going high as well as low. Dinrova is a rooftop meeting place for the guildmages.

Grozdan is a big minotaur dude in charge of one of the new Boros "Theatres of Operation". His entire remit is cracking down on the Rakdos, whether their activities are illegal or ... as near to legal as the Rakdos get.

White is much more block to block on its characteristic creatures than all the other colours. It likes Humans but that can be too broad because the other colours often want at least a bit of that tribe. Otherwise, it often seems to take up the banner of whichever animal-human hybrid the block wants: aven, loxodons, rhox, leonin/nacatl and so on. I opted for a tiger because Zarichi Tiger was cool and it would fit with the leonin found on Theros, a block on from RTR.

Actually Golgari concept art instead of whatever guild, if any, the Silhana elves putatively belong to (it's been mentioned on all of two cards, both unguilded, so gently caress knows.)

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

e:

Part of my philosophy towards commons is that the text should never be crowded, including flavor/reminder text, so this one grates on me a bit, but that's keywords I guess.

Heatwizard fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 3, 2014

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Might as well give it a shot

I figure, too expensive to be played in constructed, pretty good in limited. I like the idea of being able to lock down some jackass's one swamp later in the game, especially in a draft control deck. I had a version where the ability cost only one mana to activate, but I then figured that this card was only supposed to be a common, and repeat-ability among commons is pretty hard to find.

E: card formatting fuckery

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Pretty sure the wording on this has to be something like "If a creature dealt damage by ~ this turn would die, do thing instead." A creature that's been assigned lethal damage isn't getting destroyed by the damage source, it's getting destroyed by the game rules.

FearlessRedBeard
Feb 9, 2014

Sorcery speed enchantment theft at six mana. Don't know if it would be too ambiguous for a beginning player to understand though.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

FearlessRedBeard posted:

Sorcery speed enchantment theft at six mana. Don't know if it would be too ambiguous for a beginning player to understand though.

Stealing is very far out of white's part of the color pie. Also, permanent theft is not a common effect.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

A little upgrade from Orzhov Euthanist / Final-Sting Faerie, who are both common. Give a little fat and serve (two!) underserved tribes.

Also,

No one said we had to be black-bordered, and this is a fine Unscrewed common.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 3, 2014

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I hope these feel like solid limited fodder.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Has ups and downs compared with similar common land Auras like Abundant Growth. I decided 2/G would do because G is proper for this kind of effect, but for 3 colourless you can still get stuff like Darksteel Ingot and this is an artifact.

Alright I'm just obsessed with Fortifications fine shut up

Build your own Timbermaw Larva. Which I wish had been in an environment to show it off better. For that matter, I wish there were more environments where anything that wanted you to be mono Green was especially viable. To make up for being an Aura, this gets the bonuses on block too. I would have thought that +X/+X where X is the number of Forests you control was the more usual template, but maybe they want to keep X to a minimal level at common?

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
I found a set of objects illustrated by an artist, which gave me the idea of "previously useful, now crap" or something like that. In traditional style, each one has a "color" it's associated with. Presented in WUBRG:

EDIT: Fixed blue one.

DISCO KING fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Mar 3, 2014

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Inspired by Ashenmoor Liege, with a bit of Ruric Thar. I like the idea of a faction in this hypothetical set being all about spite, making everything hurt the opponent whether it ought to be to their advantage or not. It puts pressure on control decks to stabilise more quickly and even the low Retaliation numbers you'd find at common and uncommon can turn into reach in the final stages of a Limited game if evasion or voltroning can force the opponent to run into them. Dreamt up some fun stuff to do with it at higher rarities, in ways that might be Constructed relevant, but this little dude started it and is what I want out of it at common.

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

The cycling lands have always been some of my favorite pauper cards, so I thought I'd try for something similar. They tap for pain instead of entering tapped because I think they'd be most likely to see constructed play in tribal decks, which tend to be aggressive.

• Locked thread