Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

BigRed0427 posted:

I'm listening to today's free Wrestling Observer Live and Alvarez is saying CM Punk is definitely coming back tomorrow.

How reliable is he? I very rarely listen to it.

Very reliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Capsaicin posted:

So uh, at GAB '89, Paul Heyman used a small baggy full for white powder to throw into Jim Cornette's face.

...was that supposed to be coke?

I don't think that stuff's ever specifically named in kayfabe, we're just supposed to assume it's talcum powder or something else that burns when it gets in your eyes. Mr. Fuji used to use 'salt' to help Yokozuna (it was left over from the sumo ritual he'd do before entering the ring).

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Solomonic posted:

I don't think that stuff's ever specifically named in kayfabe, we're just supposed to assume it's talcum powder or something else that burns when it gets in your eyes. Mr. Fuji used to use 'salt' to help Yokozuna (it was left over from the sumo ritual he'd do before entering the ring).

It just seems to fit Paul E's character so much though. The whole cell phone psycho yuppie deal.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
What was the ECW storyline during the period where Mike Awesome held the title as a WCW wrestler? In the video of the match where Tazz comes in to win the belt, there's this Judge guy managing him that I know nothing about. Who was he, what was his deal and what was it he was ranting about?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The guy is Judge Jeff Jones. Not much to say about him. He was an old school heel manager with a judge gimmick. He'd come out and accuse someone of something, find them guilty, and sentence them to punishment from Awesome or Sid before him. He never really did much else that I remember.

There also wasn't a lot of story behind Awesome/Taz, at least not kayfabe. Awesome won the title off Taz in a three way dance in an impromptu match on Taz's last night before he left for WWF. A couple of months later Awesome signed with WCW and showed up on Nitro while still champ, not dropping the belt first like Taz did. A lot of weird backstage negotiating must have happened because WCW sent Awesome to lose the belt to a returning Taz on loan from WWF. A week later Taz dropped the belt to a Tommy Dreamer but not before Triple H pinned the ECW champ on WWF tv. I have no idea why ECW didn't just have Awesome drop the belt to a Dreamer.

So it was pretty much two weeks of insane rumors and gossip with like three brief, impromptu matches. Just the sort of crazy stuff that happened during the Monday Night Wars.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 3, 2014

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Awesome won the title off Taz in a three way dance in an impromptu match on Taz's last night before he left for WWF. A couple of months later Awesome signed with WCW and showed up on Nitro while still champ, not dropping the belt first like Taz did.
Speaking of Awesome, is there an actual thing where some wrestlers just "click" and have great matches? I know the definition of a great wrestler is someone who can have a great match with anyone, but it seems like Masato Tanaka/Mike Awesome always just took it to another level beyond anything they've either done with other people.

Is it just a booking thing, how come certain people just go together?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Castomira posted:

What was the ECW storyline during the period where Mike Awesome held the title as a WCW wrestler? In the video of the match where Tazz comes in to win the belt, there's this Judge guy managing him that I know nothing about. Who was he, what was his deal and what was it he was ranting about?

Awesome came in as an unannounced outsider. He wasn't on the Anarchy Rulz card where he won the belt. Jeff Jones who had been a ref and was now a manager, who was a judge brought him in after showing how ECW used footage of Tanaka beating him up to promote his match with Taz. Taz had just signed with WWE and would be gone after a few months, so Awesome vs Tanaka would be the new big feud.

Awesome comes in, challenges both men that night and it is now a 3 way. He wins the belt and has a series of matches with Tanaka including trading it back and forth. After that his reign loses focus and he stops getting paid so he signs with WCW claiming breach of contract. ECW prepares a lawsuit, with the most likely reason being Russo wanted the ECW belt on Nitro which was something that could not happen legally. The settlement stipulates Awesome will drop the belt in ECW to whoever Paul wants. Paul decides on Taz who is in the WWF in one of his not so brilliant moves.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Would've been brilliant if the WWE had been decent enough to make their new signee and a guy with a meaningful belt look strong - which really you'd have to be pretty cynical at that point to expect them to do something so contrary to competent booking. ECW gets some promotion on TV and the WWE gets to have a guy on their roster get a decisive win over a guy on WCW's roster in the (only?) interpromotional match, shoulda been win-win.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Somewhere in there Awesome had neat matches with Spike Dudley where they'd just murder each other with chairs and tables until one guy murdered the other slightly more.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I'd always known him as the slow-in-the-head, 2x4 waving super patriot, but I've heard from a few places recently that Hacksaw Jim Duggan was not someone to trifle with. As in, approaching Haku levels of "don't gently caress with this guy." Could anybody elaborate on this?

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Ghostpilot posted:

I'd always known him as the slow-in-the-head, 2x4 waving super patriot, but I've heard from a few places recently that Hacksaw Jim Duggan was not someone to trifle with. As in, approaching Haku levels of "don't gently caress with this guy." Could anybody elaborate on this?

well, that 2x4 used to be a tree.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:

epitasis posted:

Would've been brilliant if the WWE had been decent enough to make their new signee and a guy with a meaningful belt look strong - which really you'd have to be pretty cynical at that point to expect them to do something so contrary to competent booking.
Having just rewatched the HHH/Tazz match, I don't think it was booked quite as poorly as people say it was. People characterize it as a squash, but Tazz took a low blow and a chairshot before he was pinned, so it's not like HHH went over clean.

Yeah, in a perfect world, it would have been a twenty-minute main event, but this was back when drat near every WWF match on free TV was way too short. It was still a really neat bit of wrestling history.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
I am drat hungry for good Savage matches. I really liked Steamboat/Savage from WM3, and I think that it's my favorite match I've ever seen. I was less than enthused about the WM8 match with Flair.

What should I watch? I'm limited to wwf and wcw PPVs thanks to the network.

edotherocket
Apr 6, 2006
Internet.
Survivor Series 88 Main Event is one of my favourites involving Savage.

Also SummerSlam 88 for the Mega Powers vs Mega Bucks.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

astrollinthepork posted:

I am drat hungry for good Savage matches. I really liked Steamboat/Savage from WM3, and I think that it's my favorite match I've ever seen. I was less than enthused about the WM8 match with Flair.

I've been listening to the Place To Be podcast a fair bit since discovering it and apparently Steamboat and Savage has been having matches in house shows since '85.

Savage could have a good match with just about anybody (he took Warrior and Hogan to great matches, which is no small feat). He had a good one with Flair in WM VIII and there was the feud he had with Jake the Snake that has to be one of my favorites ever.

Does anyone know where I can find the bit during (I believe) the Savage / Warrior feud where Savage ambushed Warrior with some rigging equipment? The way he burst out of nowhere made me jump as a kid.

Edit: It might've been with the scepter during his Macho King gimmick.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Mar 3, 2014

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

On the same subject, how was Macho as a color commentator? The only show I've seen much of with him on it is Wrestlemania 9 and I can't judge him for not turning that turd into a diamond.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

On the same subject, how was Macho as a color commentator? The only show I've seen much of with him on it is Wrestlemania 9 and I can't judge him for not turning that turd into a diamond.

When he would pop up during Ye Old Raw I found him pretty unlistenable.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

I love Savage, and he had some good lines here and there, but yeah...no.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

dreadful.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Not sure if this is more appropriate in another thread or not, but seeing as it's a question.....

I remember in the mid 90's here in Australia watching Wide World of Sports and they would show random wrestling matches once during the broadcast and have been trying to find the matches/source/story for a couple that stood out in my memory.

1. Undertaker vs I think Kamala. I remember this match for having a long entrance by possibly the UT (no surprise), and the match having a time limit. Towards the end of the match or possibly right at the end, Kamala (I think) just wails on the UT non stop and after he is done, the UT does his sit up thing and it freaks the other person out and they run off up the ramp.

2. This one I have no idea on who was wrestling, but I believe it might have been a boiler room brawl match, but what ever it was, it ended with one opponent having their feet tied and then strung upside down in a basement type area.

3. This wasn't a match, but a song that many wrestlers from that time did, I honestly have no recollection of it, outside of it involving Koko B Ware and that it had something to do with height or flying or jumping or something like that. The song was of various clips from matches etc.

Anyone have any ideas on any of these?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

astrollinthepork posted:

Savage-DDP at Halloween Havoc is real good, and with a fairly surprising ending considering Savage's general behavior/mindset in WCW.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

freeranger posted:

Not sure if this is more appropriate in another thread or not, but seeing as it's a question.....

I remember in the mid 90's here in Australia watching Wide World of Sports and they would show random wrestling matches once during the broadcast and have been trying to find the matches/source/story for a couple that stood out in my memory.

1. Undertaker vs I think Kamala. I remember this match for having a long entrance by possibly the UT (no surprise), and the match having a time limit. Towards the end of the match or possibly right at the end, Kamala (I think) just wails on the UT non stop and after he is done, the UT does his sit up thing and it freaks the other person out and they run off up the ramp.

2. This one I have no idea on who was wrestling, but I believe it might have been a boiler room brawl match, but what ever it was, it ended with one opponent having their feet tied and then strung upside down in a basement type area.

3. This wasn't a match, but a song that many wrestlers from that time did, I honestly have no recollection of it, outside of it involving Koko B Ware and that it had something to do with height or flying or jumping or something like that. The song was of various clips from matches etc.

Anyone have any ideas on any of these?

1. The long entrance and ending make it sound like Undertaker vs Kamala from Summerslam 92. The time limit didn't factor in to that match though. It was only about 4 minutes.

2. THat was Savage vs Crush from Wrestlemania 10. The stipulation was that falls could only take place outside of the ring, and if you wrre pinned you had 60 seconds to return to the ring or the match would end. Savage hog tied Crush after pinning him backstage.

3. The only Koko song I can remember is Piledriver, but it had nothing to do with flying or jumping. It was about love.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
Was it this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kx4BpZ8yDI

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009

Ghostpilot posted:

Does anyone know where I can find the bit during (I believe) the Savage / Warrior feud where Savage ambushed Warrior with some rigging equipment? The way he burst out of nowhere made me jump as a kid.

Edit: It might've been with the scepter during his Macho King gimmick.

You're looking for his interference in the Sgt. Slaughter vs Ultimate Warrior match at the 1991 Royal Rumble.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

There was also a match with Warrior vs Ted Dibiase (I want to say it was on Saturday Night's Main Event) that ended with Savage beating Warrior stupid with the scepter.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Castomira posted:

Having just rewatched the HHH/Tazz match, I don't think it was booked quite as poorly as people say it was. People characterize it as a squash, but Tazz took a low blow and a chairshot before he was pinned, so it's not like HHH went over clean.

Yeah, in a perfect world, it would have been a twenty-minute main event

There is no definition of "perfect world" that involves Taz in a twenty-minute main event.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

astrollinthepork posted:

The Warrior match from WrestleMania VII is EPIC.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

That is seriously my favorite Wrestlemania match. It's just so different from Warrior's usual stuff, as he isn't behaving like a maniac so much as he's set on stonewalling anything Savage has until he's dead. Then he fails and wigs out. Then Savage suicide dives the guardrail and Warrior shoulderblocks him unconscious and into retirement. Just really, really awesome storytelling.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

DeathChicken posted:

That is seriously my favorite Wrestlemania match. It's just so different from Warrior's usual stuff, as he isn't behaving like a maniac so much as he's set on stonewalling anything Savage has until he's dead. Then he fails and wigs out. Then Savage suicide dives the guardrail and Warrior shoulderblocks him unconscious and into retirement. Just really, really awesome storytelling.

And, as good as the match, is, the post match is even better.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
Although incredibly sad in retrospect.

Didn't Savage had really good matches with DDP in 1997 WCW?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Iskanderson posted:

Although incredibly sad in retrospect.

Didn't Savage had really good matches with DDP in 1997 WCW?

Most of them were really good, and the best one is Spring Stampede '97.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 3, 2014

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
Watching RR92 on the network. What the hell was up with this Jamieson character that came out with the Bushwhackers?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

JPrime posted:

Watching RR92 on the network. What the hell was up with this Jamieson character that came out with the Bushwhackers?

He was a stand-up comedian they brought in with a goofy gimmick (Alfred Hayes hyped him up before he came out as the head air traffic controller at LaGuardia & a former NASA rocket scientist, and his gimmick was that it was a case of mistaken identity but hey he's a wrestling fan so whatever) to be co-host of The Bobby Heenan Show segment of Prime Time Wrestling. They re-formatted Prime Time in November of '91 and eliminated the show, but Jamison was still under contract & they had nothing for him to do, so they stuck him with the Bushwhackers under the guise of "This is the best manager these guys can get to counter the Beverly Brothers' usage of The Genius".

StupidSexyMothman fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 3, 2014

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

I remember his line: "Yeah! That's Bull Naka-naka-nakano! She's dangerous, yeah!"

And that kind of sums him up. Just mostly "YEAH!" and random gibberish in the Macho voice.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Ghostpilot posted:

Never heard any tough-guy stories about Duggan, just snorting mountains of coke stories. Though I guess a guy his size with massive quantities of coke in his system would generally not to be trifled with.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
He was an outstanding high school wrestler and a college footballer, and therefore a more legit athlete than many other guys who had more of a "body." Besides that I've never heard any stories about him being a badass.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Duggan was a shithead and a bad wrestler who kept his job in WCW way too long because he was friends with Hogan.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Apparently "During his time with Mid-South, Duggan would get into a confrontation with a fan and fracture the orbital floor of the fan's eye socket. The fan sued and was awarded $25,432.[14]"

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

oldpainless posted:

Apparently "During his time with Mid-South, Duggan would get into a confrontation with a fan and fracture the orbital floor of the fan's eye socket. The fan sued and was awarded $25,432.[14]"

So that'd probably make him Watts' favorite wrestler ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

He is also an award winning blender modifier.