Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
welp, my company just spent $8000 on 30 new CloudRouter Switches and 2 new CloudCores. Woo! They're to replace aging 2948s, but dear god I hope this doesn't wind up biting my company in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Run that through cloud to butt and post again.

Condolences on trying to manage all that.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

jeeves posted:

welp, my company just spent $8000 on 30 new CloudRouter Switches and 2 new CloudCores. Woo! They're to replace aging 2948s, but dear god I hope this doesn't wind up biting my company in the rear end.

O_O good lord that's a lot of hardware. Good luck to you on those.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

CuddleChunks posted:

O_O good lord that's a lot of hardware. Good luck to you on those.

yeah, major WISP infrastructure overhaul.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Anyone know if Winbox saves the saved password somewhere non-hashed?

I forgot it :(

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If it's saved in Winbox can't you just login and change it using the CLI, or load a new config on with your new password?

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Caged posted:

If it's saved in Winbox can't you just login and change it using the CLI, or load a new config on with your new password?

When I set this up, I did it from a local network and didn't setup remote/external access. Then I gave the device to someone to use at home and now I'm trying to access it by remoting into their desktop and accessing the web interface.

kiwid fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 3, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Any good? http://localloop.co.za/2008/10/reading-mikrotiks-winbox-addresseswbx-file-format/

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Awesome! it works.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:toot:

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

So, my CEO is having issues with her wireless at home (low signal and random drops) which is a RB951G-2HnD that I've setup to replace her old lovely Linksys device that she was also having issues with. I believe it might be an interference issue now. I changed the channel which appears to have worked for now, but I'm thinking that she might need to get off the 2.4GHz frequencies.

I see that Mikrotik doesn't really offer a 5.8GHz option, any recommendations?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If she doesn't have any strange requirements then get an AirPort and forget about it. They are rock solid.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

It's weird that Mikrotik hasn't marketed a dual-band SOHO router. I'm sure there are a bunch of people who would buy a RB952UG-52nD for $100-$150.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You're right. 2.4GHz is unusable in any sort of built-up area now.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
2.4GHz is even unusable in many rural areas, because WISPs tend to use it for last-mile. I know from my WISP days, it was always fun making sure a customer's cheapo Linksys router wasn't running on the same channel as their service connection, making them both perform terribly.

If you want to stick with Mikrotik gear, you'll have to buy an add-on 5GHz card and matching antennas and pigtails, which will easily add $50 to the price of your gear.

Or, like Caged said, get an Apple Airport or Time Capsule (the latter gives you a big hard drive and if they're Mac users free backups). It's solid stuff.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

For dual band use, ive had excellent luck using this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320062

With this third party firmware(dd-wrt isn't available on this router)
https://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
5 is going to get just as bad, wireless sucks.

edit: 66 items on my scanner

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The next time someone has a go at Wi-Fi standards it needs to have a feature that can't be disabled that will ramp the Tx power down as low as it can. People in one bed apartments don't need their Wi-Fi network to be accessible 20m down the hall, it just fucks it up for everyone.

Although you will always get people who shove on bigger antennas and custom firmware to get a stupidly high Tx power because they don't understand how RF works.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

thebigcow posted:

5 is going to get just as bad, wireless sucks.

edit: 66 items on my scanner

Not always. I live in a heavily saturated area and have good luck with the 5ghz spectrum. It doesn't punch through walls and crap nearly as well, which means it's easier to deal with in apartments and neighborhoods.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Before I buy this Airport Extreme, can it be put in AP only mode? She already has a comcast modem that is also a router which does firewall+nat and I don't really want to gently caress with having her put it in bridged mode over the phone.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

kiwid posted:

Before I buy this Airport Extreme, can it be put in AP only mode?

Yes.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

kiwid posted:

Before I buy this Airport Extreme, can it be put in AP only mode? She already has a comcast modem that is also a router which does firewall+nat and I don't really want to gently caress with having her put it in bridged mode over the phone.

Get a Ubiquiti UniFi AP. They are wonderful.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Get a Ubiquiti UniFi AP. They are wonderful.

I'd have to get the Pro for the 5GHz and that's $235

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

kiwid posted:

Or save some money over that or the extreme.

Asus RT-N56 or RT-N66

$90 and $130 respectively, and most Best Buys carry them. Slap DD-WRT or another third party firmware on, and you're good to go.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

kiwid posted:

They're really worth it if you want something that 'just works'. I've had the 2.4Ghz model running in my home for a couple of years now and after setting it up I've never had to touch it. For any reason. Ever.

It even doubles as a nice nightlight in the hallway where it's mounted :v:.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Out of curiosity, is it necessary to specify your desired DNS server(s) under IP -> DHCP Server -> Networks -> (properties of DHCP network)? I had OpenDNS servers configured here, and also under IP -> DNS. I was rattling my brain trying to figure out why after updating IP -> DNS with new DNS servers the workstations on the network weren't updating their DNS servers. I had forgot I had it specified under DHCP Server as well. The only difference I can see after removing them from DHCP Server is now from a workstation under ipconfig /all, the workstation is talking to the router gateway first for DNS, then the other two DNS servers I've specified. Will this cause issues? Should I re-specify the DNS server addresses under DHCP Server or leave the fields empty? Do I need to specify a new NAT rule in Firewall to force all devices to use my desired DNS servers? It looks like things are working fine.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Generically, DNS under IP would be for the device itself. Under DHCP it is what it hands to clients. It is listed first, the others backup. It probably relays requests to the IP > DNS server, like any home router type thing. Your network hosts should use it first, then the others if lookup fails or times out. I'm sure you can turn off internal DNS server or remove its advertisement.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Partycat posted:

Generically, DNS under IP would be for the device itself. Under DHCP it is what it hands to clients. It is listed first, the others backup. It probably relays requests to the IP > DNS server, like any home router type thing. Your network hosts should use it first, then the others if lookup fails or times out. I'm sure you can turn off internal DNS server or remove its advertisement.

Thanks for the clarification.

Second question-- Has anyone experienced issues related to clients connected to your MikroTik router's WiFi randomly dropping the connection? I have a Chromecast, Android phone and WDTV Live that have not experienced loss of WiFi connectivity but I'm getting reports of an iPhone, Kindle and laptop losing connectivity randomly. Allegedly the devices will disconnect from the WiFi then reconnect when they feel like it. I haven't worked on troubleshooting the issue yet, but I imagine using Torch, monitoring IP -> Firewall -> Connections and watching the wireless clients under Quick Set would be my best bet, right? Just thought I would ask. Looking at other WiFi APs around me, it would appear as though I only share mine with two or three other networks in the same frequency.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
It could just be some insane power saving settings. Do they have a common wifi chip?

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

thebigcow posted:

It could just be some insane power saving settings. Do they have a common wifi chip?

I'm not too sure. The laptop I'm trying to sell on eBay for parts as it's had some water damage so I blame any hardware problems on that. The Kindle is one of the original ones so it's getting pretty old. The iPhone is a 4S that's fairly new so I'm not sure about that.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Wow, this is definitely some strange stuff. Finally able to reproduce the issue on the Kindle and I monitored the log on my RB951G-2HnD. Below are screen-captures of what happened from the time the Kindle was initially used to maybe five minutes after using the Netflix app on it to stream to the Chromecast.

(These are the two affected devices but the Kindle is the one with the most trouble in the log)

Haven't researched this yet as it just happened, but it sounds like the Kindle is sending data that the Mikrotik doesn't understand so it drops it from the WiFi completely, but that seems to happen after there's a group key exchange timeout. I don't see anything unusual occurring in Torch or in the Firewall connections. From a configuration standpoint on the Kindle, there's nothing I can change aside from what WiFi network to connect to. No advanced settings from what I can tell.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

zennik posted:

Not always. I live in a heavily saturated area and have good luck with the 5ghz spectrum. It doesn't punch through walls and crap nearly as well, which means it's easier to deal with in apartments and neighborhoods.

Not only does it have shorter range, but there are a lot more useful channels. 2.4GHz has three non-overlapping channels, four if you're somewhere that can use channel 14. 5GHz has many more and doesn't make the mistake of allowing users to select "middle" channels which would overlap with two of the ideal non-overlapping channels.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Looks like some other devices are having issues now. My Nexus phone is receiving the same "extensive data loss" error in the MikroTik log as well as "data from unknown device, sending deauth". Not sure what's happening or what's causing it. Is my router making GBS threads the bed?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

How is your network set up with regards to client authentication ?

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Partycat posted:

How is your network set up with regards to client authentication ?

I've enabled wireless debug logging now so hopefully that might provide some new information when the problem does occur again.

PUBLIC TOILET fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 9, 2014

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

zennik posted:

Or save some money over that or the extreme.

Asus RT-N56 or RT-N66

$90 and $130 respectively, and most Best Buys carry them. Slap DD-WRT or another third party firmware on, and you're good to go.

Well, I guess I'm going to take your advice here. I was all excited to get a MikroTik at home and play with it too, but lol no way am I not going for 5Ghz.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Well, should anyone encounter the same WiFi issues I've been experiencing with a MikroTik, there's an option in the advanced wireless configuration that may alleviate the problem.

• Run Winbox, connect and login to your MikroTik
  • Left-click on Wireless from the left-hand menu
  • Double-click on your desired wireless interface
  • Left-click on the button labeled "Advanced Mode"
  • Left-click on the tab labeled "Advanced"
  • Under "Adaptive Noise Immunity", left-click on the drop-down box and choose "ap and client mode"
  • Left-click on "Apply", "OK", then reboot the router (System -> Reboot)

Not a whole lot of information on it, but there's a short write up of the feature here.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I finally started playing with my RB2011.

• Defaults have improved since ROS 5, it adds some randomness to the default SSID and generates a WPA2 key.
  • The screen is fidgety but maybe I'm just spoiled by newer phones. Its a little too small to be useful.
  • I thought I would have more to say.
  • The serial port is neat.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

wolrah posted:

5GHz has many more and doesn't make the mistake of allowing users to select "middle" channels which would overlap with two of the ideal non-overlapping channels.

Sure it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Does anyone know the minimum system requirements for Winbox?