Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!

pointsofdata posted:

What are people go to teas when they just want a cup of tea?

My daily morning tea is Upton's Samovar Blend, which is nice and dark, but doesn't get bitter even if you overbrew it. Alternately, a nice tie guan yin oolong (the one I get from Upton is a Taiwanese one if I remember right).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

pointsofdata posted:

Dragonwell, which I'm just about out of... lately a pretty young sheng puerh in the mornings, I like how forgiving they are when steeping.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

pointsofdata posted:

Upton's "Moonlight" white tea or Rosamonte brand yerba mate, except my drat mate cracked and I've been lazy about getting a new one. :saddowns:

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

pointsofdata posted:

If I'm not at home, a bag of Stash 'Double Spice Chai' assuming I can milk and cream it. If I'm at home, I like a cup of Irish Breakfast.

I'm out of the latter, but I have so many other kinds of tea due to people gifting me tea that I like okay that I can't bring myself to buy more. Drinking the last of my 'mocha nut mate' sampler, which is... eh, it's okay. Not a huge fan of adagio's chocolate in tea, it always seems too light on it. Of the mate sampler I much prefered plain yerba mate or the spiced mate.

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin

FuriousxGeorge posted:

I'm a junkie for the Adagio flavored blacks.

I'm not sure what the rules are here, but if you like black teas, you should give ours a shot. It's my girlfriend's family's blend of Assam & Hyderabadi. People rave about it, I think you'd like it. We have a money back guarantee in case you have any doubts about trying something new.

Comic posted:

If I'm not at home, a bag of Stash 'Double Spice Chai' assuming I can milk and cream it. If I'm at home, I like a cup of Irish Breakfast.

I'm out of the latter, but I have so many other kinds of tea due to people gifting me tea that I like okay that I can't bring myself to buy more. Drinking the last of my 'mocha nut mate' sampler, which is... eh, it's okay. Not a huge fan of adagio's chocolate in tea, it always seems too light on it. Of the mate sampler I much prefered plain yerba mate or the spiced mate.

Same goes to you, if you like spiced chai, and chocolate teas, you really should try ours, it's a chocolate masala chai in the Hyderabadi tradition.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Chaos Motor posted:

Same goes to you, if you like spiced chai, and chocolate teas, you really should try ours, it's a chocolate masala chai in the Hyderabadi tradition.

I got the barista at the Starbucks in our building hooked on it and now when I re-up I always throw a bag her way.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Zelmel posted:

My daily morning tea is Upton's Samovar Blend, which is nice and dark, but doesn't get bitter even if you overbrew it. Alternately, a nice tie guan yin oolong (the one I get from Upton is a Taiwanese one if I remember right).

What's their tie guan yin oolong?

In general I really like Upton's formosa oolongs. Their Jade and Amber Formosa Oolongs are my current go-tos for a relaxing cup in the evening, because they don't really get bitter. I also picked up a sample of their Formosa Oolong Choicest, which I really liked yesterday - two great steepings, and then the third was still pretty okay even when I let it steep for like 10 minutes.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Chaos Motor posted:

I've actually been meaning to try it, but I suffer from too much tea in my pantry as it is. Maybe if I didn't also drink coffee it'd run out faster. I'm convinced my father would love it though, so maybe I might just order some 'for him' next time I can take advantage of that. I also don't actually have a tea strainer, I mostly make use of an ingenuitea type pot.

Comic fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 3, 2014

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

coyo7e posted:

I do this in my electric steeper however, I use a smaller amount of tea than I would otherwise, and when I drink the carafe down halfway I pour in more hot water. It usually sits on overnight, and tastes great first thing in the morning after my shower. :D

Didn't you just use a spoon and slurp each one, rather than drinking a whole cup? That was how we were supposed to do tastings of tea when I was working for Starbucks.

Nice!

We didn't use spoons for sampling--Teavana uses 1-2 oz plastic condiment cups for their samples, so it's bottoms up!

pointsofdata posted:

Genmaicha :3:

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Niemat posted:

Genmaicha :3:

Mmm. Genmaicha is the best.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Comic posted:

I've actually been meaning to try it, but I suffer from too much tea in my pantry as it is. Maybe if I didn't also drink coffee it'd run out faster. I'm convinced my father would love it though, so maybe I might just order some 'for him' next time I can take advantage of that. I also don't actually have a tea strainer, I mostly make use of an ingenuitea type pot.

I've mentioned this strainer a few times on this thread, but I really like it. I use it for all of my looseleaf, and for chai I make in a pot I just set the strainer on top of the mug and pour it through.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

Niemat posted:

We didn't use spoons for sampling--Teavana uses 1-2 oz plastic condiment cups for their samples, so it's bottoms up!

We don't have to drink the samples. :D And my new coworkers (that I've met) are all really laid back and make fun blends that they want me to try. Today I tried some crazy honey matcha blend and toasted nut brûlée with gyokuro genmaicha. This could be really fun.

Arcturas posted:

This. Also lapsang souchong.

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!

Arcturas posted:

What's their tie guan yin oolong?

In general I really like Upton's formosa oolongs. Their Jade and Amber Formosa Oolongs are my current go-tos for a relaxing cup in the evening, because they don't really get bitter. I also picked up a sample of their Formosa Oolong Choicest, which I really liked yesterday - two great steepings, and then the third was still pretty okay even when I let it steep for like 10 minutes.

I remembered wrong, it wasn't a Taiwanese oolong, it was a Chinese one. This is the one I've been ordering: https://secure.uptontea.com/shopcart/item.asp?itemID=ZO80

It can get a little bitter if you let it sit a long time, but it is really nice over the course of several steepings.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

Arcturas posted:

I used to think so too, until I discovered genmai matcha. Even better.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I like the teapig's chocolate assam. That, or the everyday brew is kind of nice to wake up to.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

Undeclared Eggplant posted:

I will (try to) make this tomorrow and report back. I might have to start with plain matcha.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Is this the right thread to talk about how much I love Celestial Seasonings teas? Because I really love Celestial Seasonings teas.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Arcturas posted:

It tastes like a hug.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
My daily morning tea is a flavored Adagio blend of cranberry, orange, and irish breakfast.

My daily bedtime tea is another Adagio blend, but chamomile, lemongrass, and peppermint. I save the Yerba Mate for when I really need it, partly because my favorite that I've had is MightyLeaf and stupidly expensive.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

Undeclared Eggplant posted:

I think my genmai matcha isn't as great a quality as my genmaicha, so I'll definitely have to try a different company (or try to bungle through my own concoction), because I wasn't super impressed with the stuff I have. Where do you pick up yours?

Okay, electric kettle question... I have this kettle, and I've recently noticed some deposits accumulating (which I'm sure are from our hard water). Does anyone with this model or a similar one have a way that they clean out their kettle or clear deposits?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Niemat posted:

I think my genmai matcha isn't as great a quality as my genmaicha, so I'll definitely have to try a different company (or try to bungle through my own concoction), because I wasn't super impressed with the stuff I have. Where do you pick up yours?

Okay, electric kettle question... I have this kettle, and I've recently noticed some deposits accumulating (which I'm sure are from our hard water). Does anyone with this model or a similar one have a way that they clean out their kettle or clear deposits?

It's limescale. Just leave it unless there's loads, your kettle should have a filter. If you really want to get rid of it soak it in lemon juice or vinegar for a while then boil and rinse.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
I had a ton of mineral buildup in a stovetop kettle that I got rid of by boiling the usual amount of water with maybe a quarter or half cup of white vinegar mixed in. I think you could probably do the same with an electric kettle. Just make sure to run it through a few a cycles of just water afterwards to get the vinegar taste out. It smells pretty strong too, so be prepared for that.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

Thanks, guys! I was thinking about boiling some vinegar, but I was pretty sure the smell would be horrendous... glad to know that is indeed the case! :gonk:

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

Niemat posted:

This is my favorite. It used to be called Zen Mind and now it's called Ryokucha. But it seems like Genmai matcha to me.

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
So am I the only one who likes the smell of vinegar?

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

Chaos Motor posted:

So am I the only one who likes the smell of vinegar?

No. But I have been known to drink malt vinegar straight up.

Report: genmaicha + matcha = hug from the inside. We used the gyo genmaicha as the water for the matcha.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Matcha Cupcakes. Yes, please.

http://needmorenoms.blogspot.com/2011/03/matcha-cupcakes.html

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Well, you could always get rid of the vinegar smell by following it up with boiling some baking soda...

Seriously though, baking soda is great for off smells. Due to a terrible misunderstanding w.r.t. who cleaned what I ended up with some butterfly pea petals left in the tea machine for a week-ish, which at some point turned into thick, green sludge that smelled like hot garbage :gonk:. Dishwashing liquid and some elbow grease cleaned everything off proper, but the smell stuck until I boiled/steeped a bunch of baking soda (in water ofc). Then like nothing ever happened. Cleaned off any tannin stains too (this last part isn't guaranteed if enough have built up).

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

Goddamn posted:

Well, you could always get rid of the vinegar smell by following it up with boiling some baking soda...

Seriously though, baking soda is great for off smells. Due to a terrible misunderstanding w.r.t. who cleaned what I ended up with some butterfly pea petals left in the tea machine for a week-ish, which at some point turned into thick, green sludge that smelled like hot garbage :gonk:. Dishwashing liquid and some elbow grease cleaned everything off proper, but the smell stuck until I boiled/steeped a bunch of baking soda (in water ofc). Then like nothing ever happened. Cleaned off any tannin stains too (this last part isn't guaranteed if enough have built up).

One of my coworkers recommends baking soda for tea-related stains in glass pots and water boilers, so I can second this madness as valid.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

If you're worried about the vinegar smell use lemon juice instead

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

The lemon juice is a great idea--I just keep vinegar around on the regular for cleaning. Maybe I'll run to the store this weekend for a lemon, though, because a lingering lemon smell/taste wouldn't be so terrible temporarily...

Goddamn posted:

Cleaned off any tannin stains too (this last part isn't guaranteed if enough have built up).

Definitely going to try this on a china mug I have to see if it'll remove the tea stains! Thanks!

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Niemat posted:

The lemon juice is a great idea--I just keep vinegar around on the regular for cleaning. Maybe I'll run to the store this weekend for a lemon, though, because a lingering lemon smell/taste wouldn't be so terrible temporarily...

Definitely going to try this on a china mug I have to see if it'll remove the tea stains! Thanks!

They sell the lemon juice albeit from concentrate in those little plastic containers that look like a lemon and it does the job nicely. Plus you have more in the event you need it again since one lemon may not yield enough juice.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

If your tannin stains are so severe that even baking soda or barkeeper's friend (...rinse well) won't get them off, there's one hardcore option (that may actually be too much on the china). I used the teabot for somewhere in the realm of two years thinking that the stains were just a colour thing that you couldn't do anything about. But then I noticed that all of my teas were starting to taste like some sort of generic black tea conglomerate... even plain boiled water. It's almost like what they say about yixing pots, except it was just this base tone of bland bitterness.

So then I started looking into cleaning stuff, and... Well, not even barkeeper's friend worked. But there was one method that did. At some point I noticed that after doing the baking soda boil thing, some areas would come off if I lightly ran my fingernail down them, even though normal dish scrubbers weren't making things budge. So I tore off a piece of a magic eraser and stuck it on a little wooden bamboo skewer (also a toothpick for tiny crevices). It was a bit awkward, but the skewer delivered that pinpoint pressure while the magic eraser would spread it to a more usable area. Got it all new and shiny! IIRC the magic eraser isn't exactly food-safe either, so I rinsed thoroughly and boiled a batch of water to pour out.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

I wouldn't suggest Barkeepers Friend on ceramics. On glazed ceramic, it scratchs the glaze, which will make it harder to clean later. On unglazed ceramic, those chemicals will just get absorbed.

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

I bought some lapsang sauchong [sic] from DX. The reviews suggest a chocolate bouquet, but my first impression was a P. Cubensis tisane. :yum:

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I just made my first loose leaf tea in a teapot I got that came with a ceramic infuser. I noticed that some of the tea leaves got through the holes in the infuser and ended up coming out into my cup. Is this normal or did I do something wrong?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Massasoit posted:

I just made my first loose leaf tea in a teapot I got that came with a ceramic infuser. I noticed that some of the tea leaves got through the holes in the infuser and ended up coming out into my cup. Is this normal or did I do something wrong?

Most likely, yes that's normal. You can always upgrade your infuser to something with smaller holes (metal is going to be better for this than ceramic), but even with the finest mesh strainer you're going to get some particulate. As long as the vast majority of the tea stays in your infuser it's fine, and just something you have to get used to with tea.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Massasoit posted:

I don't love stray leaves but I've learned to accept it. However, the strainer I've posted about a thousand times in this thread because it is my best friend is good at keeping the leaves where they belong.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Massasoit posted:

Call me weird but I enjoy that last sip of tea with all the particles in it. I use a few different infusers, a metal mesh basket strainer at work and Adagio's Ingenuitea, and I have to say the Adagio infuser has very fine mesh and I hardly get any particles in my cup. I know there was someone that posted a while back saying they had problems with theirs (I think they said the lid leaked, but it has a pinprick hole on the top so it can flow out with the lid close, and some other problem I fail to recall), but I bought one for myself and the mrs and we've yet to have any sort of problems with them. I did accidentally pop the mesh part on the bottom off once, but it was easy enough to just push back in and it's worked as good as it always has.

But Not Tonight fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Mar 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I have a fine mesh strainer that I still get random leaves through.. it's just something you learn to deal with when making tea.