Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

"EDGE MAVERICK, he's the man, whose name you'd love to touch, but you mustn't touch. His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear, cause his name can be said, by anyone.."

All I can remember about Albel is that he was sarong-wearing Crispin Freeman. Unfortunately, I remember Nel, and her hosed-up bonus costume pose.

Why?

Clearly, while searching for a lost contact, she hit her finger hard on the edge of the furniture and is doing the whole suck on the finger to make it feel better thing.

Also, edge maverick :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Jesus. You think SO4's party (i.e., one that contains a dumbass space elf that turns into Satan, a brain damaged 15 year old in the body of a six year old who cries out for "nappy time" with the main character, EDGE MAVERICK and a catgirl in bondage gear) is better than SO3's cast of mostly goofballs (and Cliff) that weren't actually outright offensive?

1. Nappy time cna be easily not watched
2. FATE LINEGOD is an infinitely dumber name. We already had an Edge in Final Fantasy IV and Maverick is a classic TV series.
3. I found Sophie pretty offensive. And terrifying to look at. For all the poo poo SO4 gets for its Uncanny Valley faces and bad voice-acting, both are so much worse in 3.

I did like Nel though.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Through her glove.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Endorph posted:

The Third Age is literally the least consequential story told, in any medium, ever.

It's basically the story of some blokes who were there. You fight the balrog with Gandalf but Gandalf still 'dies.'

To highlight, the Balrog fight is extra hilarious because a) the game plays the sequence of the movie of "you shall not pass" when you approach which features people you aren't playing as b) it then has Gandalf and the Balrog land on the bridge with your party like some sort of loony toons moment and they dust themselves off and then go back at it and finally c) the Balrog can at whim wipe your entire player party so 90% of the fight is Gandalf killing it and resurrecting your worthless party.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

NikkolasKing posted:

You can't not recruit the character designed to appeal to pedophiles though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

The Third Age is literally the least consequential story told, in any medium, ever.

It's basically the story of some blokes who were there. You fight the balrog with Gandalf but Gandalf still 'dies.'

Uh, excuse me, I think you're forgetting that you go up and kick Sauron right in the firey eye to kill him!

NikkolasKing posted:

All the rest of her scenes are pretty much just as bad and she gets a lot of scenes.

Also the catgirl and bird girl are almost as bad.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Pesky Splinter posted:

I poured so many hours into that game; beat the bonus dungeons, bosses and all that jazz...and retroactively discovered I had hated every minute of it. I don't even know why. Just being a dumb kid, I guess?

You can unlock costumes for everyone that you can wear in an unlockable 2-player battle-mode-thing, or completing challenges, I think? Nearly all of them have one that is a reference to another video game, and others are a mix-match of things. Nel gets that one, unfortunately.
Wait there's multiplayer? :psyduck:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Nihilarian posted:

There is. If you liked the tacked on multiplayer in Zone of the Enders, then hoo boy you'll love SO3's multiplayer! I think it supports the multitap for four players, actually.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

gaping gape gaper posted:

Through her glove.

She didn't have the time to take it off or she may just be very stupid. I don't know, I've never played whatever game y'all are talking about.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Nihilarian posted:

Sorta. It's an unlockable battle arena thing, where two (or more? can't recall) players can go against each other or the AI. It was pretty simplistic, but it worked pretty well with someone else playing, IIRC.

You had to go through some sidequest to unlock it first though, for some annoying bint in some town somewhere. It wasn't amazingly fun...but it did the job.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 4, 2014

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Infinity Gaia posted:

The PSP remake of 1 is also good, so now there's two good games in the series.

And 4 isn't that bad if you COMPLETELY IGNORE THAT THE PLOT EXISTS IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM. The battle system is fun, crafting is alright, and so on, but the plot man, that goddamn plot...

And then you reach the phantoms(?) and realize that even the combat system has its limits, and those limits are Welcome to Chain-Stun Town population: gently caress You.

Barudak posted:

Its not the story of LotR though. Its the story of a bunch of random scrubs who also happen to be wandering around where the fellowship are wandering but like, a few days after or before. You're the extras of LotR.

You're tailing the fellowship, like in Lotro, only with worse overall writing but no lovely Dunlending/Rohirrim love story fanfic to suffer through. edit: Also, unlike lotro you're pretty much dead weight.

Endorph posted:

But then you play as the Balrog and make sure things go as they should. :black101:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ImpAtom posted:

Also the catgirl and bird girl are almost as bad.

Ah, yes. How could I forget the catgirl: the other character designed to appeal to pedophiles.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

You're tailing the fellowship, like in Lotro, only with worse overall writing but no lovely Dunlending/Rohirrim love story fanfic to suffer through. edit: Also, unlike lotro you're pretty much dead weight.

I see you're forgetting the Elf/Fake Aragon/Fake Eowyn love triangle.

God, that game had the stupidest fanfiction plot. Although the new LotR game looks to be giving it a run for its money.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I see you're forgetting the Elf/Fake Aragon/Fake Eowyn love traingle.

There were cutscenes in the game that weren't movie sequences taken out of context?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Endorph posted:

Barudak posted:

To highlight, the Balrog fight is extra hilarious because a) the game plays the sequence of the movie of "you shall not pass" when you approach which features people you aren't playing as b) it then has Gandalf and the Balrog land on the bridge with your party like some sort of loony toons moment and they dust themselves off and then go back at it and finally c) the Balrog can at whim wipe your entire player party so 90% of the fight is Gandalf killing it and resurrecting your worthless party.

This actually sounds rad and also Rosencrantz and Guildenstern is a really good play.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
The best part of The Third Age was the Villain Mode you could unlock where you could play as Ringwraiths, Orcs, Trolls and the loving Balrog and crush the PCs at your whim.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Looper posted:

This actually sounds rad and also Rosencrantz and Guildenstern is a really good play.
Rozencrants and Guildenstern worked because it was self-aware. Third Age seems to think it's legitimately contributing something to the mythos.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Third Age was hamstrung by having to relate literally everything to the movies as they had rights to only those 3 movies. No book material allowed

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I rented Third Age once when it first came out. I thought it was pretty fun, but then again I always have liked the battle system for FFX.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Endorph posted:

Every other Tales game. Gameplay-wise I'd recommend Graces, Vesperia, and Xillia.

Shadow Hearts: Covenant, maybe? If you can handle a timing minigame being associated with every action.

I'm hoping if Chronicles sells alright they might make an Abyss HD remake, or another combo, like Abyss/Legendia (if they're going with the Good game + mediocre game theme)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Excels posted:

I'm hoping if Chronicles sells alright they might make an Abyss HD remake, or another combo, like Abyss/Legendia (if they're going with the Good game + mediocre game theme)
The difference is Symphonia and Symphonia 2 share an obvious connection.

Not to mention we already got an Abyss remake for the 3DS.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Barudak posted:

Don't forget the "boss fight" with Sauron's loving Eye.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Excels posted:

Calling ToL merely mediocre is one of the most generous statements I've heard in a long time.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Defiance Industries posted:

Calling ToL merely mediocre is one of the most generous statements I've heard in a long time.

I originally wrote "lovely" but I thought that might be a little unfair since the graphics are even worse than FFVII. If it were remade with shiny new grafix it might be okay.

e: VVVV that too.

Excels fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 4, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's also help if the second half of the game actually had voice acting.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

And you didn't just revisit the same five dungeons over and over again.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
So I ended up breaking down and buying FFVI for iPhone, because it's the greatest game for ever and ever, amen, and I've pretty much plowed my way through it in a week. Here are a few brief thoughts:

-While I'm not a fan of the new sprites, I found that I wasn't nearly as bothered by them as I assumed I would be. I'm wondering if they made some last-minute changes between the Android port and the iPhone port, since the sprites look considerably less clash-y to me than they do in the Android shots I've seen. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Anyway, as much as I understand not liking the new sprites, if they ruin the iPhone port for you, I think you're a big whiny babby.:colbert:

-Some of the controls are a bit laggy, and it's probably a good thing that there are very few parts in this game in which you have to move a character in a precise manner within a small span of time. I probably would have hated the collapsing house in Tzen a lot more f I didn't know this game so drat well. But this didn't bother me all that much either - I ended up learning how to compensate for it. e: The airship controls are admittedly pretty awful, since your direction occasionally hooks way to the left or right when you're trying to go in a straight line. But this is luckily a pretty minor gripe - you're never in an airship race or anything, so having to correct course every now and then isn't that big of an annoyance.

-The new battle mechanics work fine. It has a bit of a learning curve, and it's certainly weird that your character's readiness is gauged by their profile peeking up slowly from the bottom of the screen. Even so, the fact that you can much more easily control which characters you want to flip between is a positive, in my book.

-The fact that you can now give your other characters commands while Cyan charges up his bushido techs is such a nice thing. He's still not a particularly great character in battle, on account of his lousy equipment, but at least he's not completely useless anymore.

-I noticed that they went back to Celes' original synthesized singing voice, which seems like an odd decision, since it always sounded laughably weird to me. Kind of like how I'd imagine a basset hound to sing.

-Overall, I think it's a perfectly fine port of my favorite RPG. I'd prefer a DS-style revamp, like we got for FFIV, but this is perfectly fine for the time being. It honestly shouldn't be too hard to look past the weird new sprites or the buggy controls. I can't say for sure if it's worth the money for everyone to get it, but I'm enough of an FFVI fan to shell out the cash for it.

e: Also, I haven't had any problems with the game crashing, and I'm playing it on a 4G, which is a pleasant surprise. FFT, in contrast, crashes occasionally.

Here's a dumb question for anyone else who has played through the IOS/Android version, by the way - I'm not quite understanding what the deal is with some of the Achievements. In particular, these two:

quote:

Wandering Gambler - Master "Slot"
A Chance in a Pinch - You discovered all of the hidden "Blitz" commands

I have all of Sabin's Blitzes and have gotten all of Setzer's Slot commands, yet I haven't gotten either of these achievements. Do we know if these things will be dealt with in future updates, or is that unknown for now?

Majorian fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 6, 2014

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Majorian posted:

Here's a dumb question for anyone else who has played through the IOS/Android version, by the way - I'm not quite understanding what the deal is with some of the Achievements. In particular, these two:

I have all of Sabin's Blitzes and have gotten all of Setzer's Slot commands, yet I haven't gotten either of these achievements. Do we know if these things will be dealt with in future updates, or is that unknown for now?

I haven't played it, but maybe the "Chance in a Pinch" one is referring to the characters' special attacks that they have access to when they're low on HP?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This is kinda random but I wish for FFX International they had removed the Auto-Life for the Aeon fights. The cool thing about the aeons is that they are your aeons so they are as strong and have as many abilities as you gave them. You could basically make your own more challenging final boss.

Are there any JRPGs that have anything like this? I think it be pretty interesting. I know you can make final bosses like Sephiroth or Deus in Xenogears stronger by doing/not doing certain things but a truly customizable boss intrigues me.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Is there a good guide out there for breaking FF8? I've played through it a few times the traditional way but I want to see what all the fuss is about and steamroll my way through.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

NikkolasKing posted:

This is kinda random but I wish for FFX International they had removed the Auto-Life for the Aeon fights. The cool thing about the aeons is that they are your aeons so they are as strong and have as many abilities as you gave them. You could basically make your own more challenging final boss.

Are there any JRPGs that have anything like this? I think it be pretty interesting. I know you can make final bosses like Sephiroth or Deus in Xenogears stronger by doing/not doing certain things but a truly customizable boss intrigues me.

Hmm, I feel like there are. I know in at least Disgaea D2, sometimes enemies can spawn in the item world that are basically clones of random characters. You could end up fighting your most pimped-out character with maxed stats that way (but it would still be easier than fighting Baal, so eh).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

In FE10 you control four separate parties and there's like two instances where one of the parties fights another one of the parties, and they keep all of their equipment and have the exact same stats as when you fought them.

But one party is much stronger than the other so one scenario is a cakewalk and the other is a complete shitshow that you're basically encouraged to run away from.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Schwartzcough posted:

Hmm, I feel like there are. I know in at least Disgaea D2, sometimes enemies can spawn in the item world that are basically clones of random characters. You could end up fighting your most pimped-out character with maxed stats that way (but it would still be easier than fighting Baal, so eh).
Baal is a pushover. It's Prinny Baal that you end up cheesing with the Gunner's Tile Change, throwing him onto a damage tile, and going outside his AI target zone with a Hyperdrive.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

The White Dragon posted:

Baal is a pushover. It's Prinny Baal that you end up cheesing with the Gunner's Tile Change, throwing him onto a damage tile, and going outside his AI target zone with a Hyperdrive.

I think you're thinking of another Disgaea. There is no Prinny Baal in D2 (not to be confused with Disgaea 2). But yeah, in several of them Baal is just a warm up.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

So, I finally finished my solo Time Mage run of FFV. It was... an experience.

First, the good:

* Once you get the Healing Staff, you become practically immortal. Thanks to most bosses being vulnerable to Slow, combined with Haste, there's just no way for them to deal enough damage to you to actually pose a threat.
* Haste, Slow, Quick, and Meteor are all amazing spells. Especially with the Gold Hairpin to cut down the costs on the latter two to manageable levels.

Now, the bad:

* The defense and HP of Time Mages is abysmal. Whilst most enemies are incapable of cutting through your healing, this relies on you being in the back row. If you leave the back row, you die. The same applies for the scant few enemies that can't be slowed.
* Attack is just as bad. In the first world, you have to rely on back row Flail hits, and knives when that falls off. Comet requires blind luck to actually do appreciable damage at all. Meteor, whilst excellent, is neutered by multiple enemies, and by the time you get it, the game's almost over anyway.

The major sticking points:

Atomos: I'll admit, I bended the rules a little for this one. Without grinding to high heaven, Time Mages just don't have the offensive ability to take out Atomos before it crushes them with Comet, especially with it being immune to Slow. So I started the battle with everyone alive, then killed them off one by one.

The Crystals: Well, more, two of the crystals. Namely, the Wind and Fire ones. The Earth Crystal was irrelevant due to Float, and the Water Crystal didn't do nearly enough damage to be a danger. The Fire and Wind Crystals, on the other hand, did enough damage to one and two shot me respectively. Thankfully, however, the Crystals are vulnerable to Gravity/Graviga. So as soon as one of them launched an attack, I cast Graviga on it, and then followed up with Comet, praying for a solid hit.

Exdeath: I shouldn't have to explain why Exdeath is a nightmare for practically any solo run, so I'll just leave it with saying that I broke a whole lot of rods and staves over his head, and just waited to luck out on the timing. It would have been easier if he didn't counter Slow with Haste.

Azulmagia: Two seperate instant death skills (plus ????) does not a fun fight make. This was essentially a rushdown, using Quick-Meteor-Meteor and hoping for the best. It worked out eventually.

Neo Exdeath: Ughhhhhhhhhh. The Tree form wasn't so bad, thanks to the Shell effect from the Wonder Wand, but Neo himself was a whole different story. Grand Cross is even more hideously dangerous on a solo run than it is normally, and keeping the spellcasting segment alive is just asking for it to Delta Attack you. In the end, I spammed the Magic Lamp until it reached Titan, then moved to the front row and used Quick to keep myself alive whilst stabbing at the Grand Cross segment. After doing that a few times, I moved back to the back row, and just hoped for the best with Quick-Meteor-Meteor. Which ended up taking the final two segments out simultaneously, so it all worked out in the end. Was probably not the best of strategies, though, considering how risky it was.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yeah, Solo Mages in FFV isn't all that fun really. Only one I even tried was Necromancer, and I gave up on that around the end of World 1 since everything up to that point was basically "Flaremancer it to death."

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

Not really the same, but Star Ocean 2's final boss is a fairly simple ordeal until you get access to the bonus final dungeon, then he'll wreck you until you've cleared it (and probably beaten the hidden final bosses).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's not the bonus dungeon that triggers that. It's watching a certain PA in Central City. The one where you find out that he has a daughter.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Saigyouji posted:

So, I finally finished my solo Time Mage run of FFV.

Why do you hate yourself so much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

dis astranagant posted:

It's not the bonus dungeon that triggers that. It's watching a certain PA in Central City. The one where you find out that he has a daughter.

Which itself isn't triggered unless you watch another PA on disc one before a certain town is destroyed.

God, I love SO2! :allears: