Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The Spring season is upon us again! It brings with it the usual massive pile of shows (this season is one of the largest Spring seasons in recent years). Some look really good! Some look really bad. A metric fuckton of them are about either 1. idols, or 2. trading cards. Oh boy!

As usual, the primary source for these dates and titles is Moonphase. This list will contain all of what Moonphase lists for TV series, along with some of the OVAs and movies as well. It is worth noting that, like always, Moonphase lists cinema dates for anime films, not BD/DVD release dates, so said dates will be largely useless to you unless you live in Japan.

I have bolded series that I think will be definite must-watches or sure bets. This is merely my predictions / personal taste, and it is by no means necessarily accurate one way or the other. If you have an issue with my selection, well... tough. I've certainly been wrong before in both directions. Italicized series are ones that absolutely no one will give a poo poo about even in the slightest (ultra kids shows, merchandise gimmicks).

For television series, the date listed is the day the first episode airs in Japan. For reasons related to time zones and Japan's screwy way of counting hours past midnight, this might be +/- 1 day from what you'd expect it to be. For OVAs, it's the DVD release date. For movies, it's the cinema premiere date, unless otherwise noted.

Shows with ADTRW threads have a ":neckbeard:" next to a thread link below them. These shows are not necessarily must-watch, but they are at least at such a level that someone in ADTRW felt a desire to make a thread about them. If you make a thread about a show listed here, please do let us know by posting it in here or PMing me a link to the thread!

Spring TV Series

03/09 Cardfight!! Vanguard: Legion Mate Chapter
Hahahaha there's so many trading card anime this season it's unreal.

03/10 Wasimo
Kids show adapting a picture book by Kankuro Kudo about a grandmother-model robot named Wasimo who comes to a human family. It's being produced by Studio DEEN, and quite amusingly is being directed by ADTRW-favorite Yasuhiro Imagawa (G Gundam, Giant Robo, Tetsujin 28 remake).

03/10 Kind-Of Veronica (Nandaka Velonica)
Kids show by NHK about an alien girl named Veronica who causes havoc on Earth until she meets a boy.

03/21 Samurai Warriors Special: Sanada's Chapter (Sengoku Musou SP: Sanada no Shou)
Anime adaptation of a chapter of the Samurai Warriors games, apparently. It's being produced by TYO Animations (whom as far as I can tell has mostly done inbetweening before now). Just another depiction of Warring States generals. Not Sengoku Basara.

03/22 Keroro
Another Sgt. Frog anime, Sunrise's super popular / incredibly long comedy anime that mostly existed to sell Gundam model kits. For those that missed the original: alien frogs are sent to Earth to conquer it, and they fail miserably and comically when they fall sway to our powerful consumer culture, as well as one plucky family (that they promptly move in with). Sunrise is animating this one in flash, and it's airing on a satellite channel for some reason (usually a fate reserved for fanservice crazy shows, which this I'm 99% sure won't be). It's being directed by Haruki Kasugamori, who apparently came up with the idea for DD Hokuto no Ken. All of the major cast should be back.

04/01 Puchimas!!: Petit Petit iDOLM@STER
Yet another Chibi Idolmaster anime adaptation! I'm sure someone is excited about this.

04/01 Majin Bone
I have no idea what this is, and apparently the rest of the internet doesn't either. Probably involves trading cards and arcades.

04/02 Marvel Disk Wars: The Avengers
I should probably be italicizing this but people will watch this. After the Avengers get trapped in technomagical disks by Loki, Spider-Man does the obvious solution of giving them to plucky multinational teens so they can use them to summon the Avengers Pokemon-style in order to fight crime. Gee Spidey, you could have like called Dr. Strange or something, but nope: PLUCKY TEENS. You dick.
:neckbeard: ADTRW Thread

04/02 KutsuDaru
Another kids anime show being adapted from a picture book, its follows 44 youkai who make humans' socks loose and presumably eat them. As far as goals in life go, they could do worse.

04/03 Blade & Soul
Gonzo is back! Making an anime about a Korean MMO!! Congratulations Gonzo on not being totally dead!!! It's being directed by Hiroshi Hamasaki (Steins;Gate, Texhnolyze) & Hiroshi Takeuchi (animation direction on Bodacious Space Pirates). The plot is: Korean fantasy MMO. Sort of an odd bit of staffing given that, though it could explain why there's two (neither caring all that much?) These sorts of things are almost always terrible.

04/03 We Are All Pathetic / We Are All From Dormitory Kawai (Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou)
Romcom seinen manga adaption by Brain's Base, directed by Shigeyuki Miya (Blood Lad) . It's about a guy who moves to a dorm due to his parents recent job transfer. His new complex is "full of perverts" ( his roommate is apparently literally a pedophile), but the upper-classman girl he adores also lives there.

04/03 The Devil's Riddle (Akuma no Riddle)
Manga adaptation by Diomedea, directed by Keizo Kusakawa (Nanoha, Asura Cryin, Dog Days). A girl attends a private girls' boarding school where twelve girls in her class intend to assassinate her. A transfer student falls in love with her.

04/03 selector infected WIXOSS
Original anime by J.C. Staff. Girls are pulled into some dark world to participate in a dangerous game. Involving trading cards (enough already!). It's being directed by Takuya Sato (Steins;Gate, bunch of crap), with the script by Mari Okada (anohana, Hanasaku Iroha). I've got nothing else to really say about this because there's not much known; looks to be aiming for the GRIM DARK approach.

04/04 Mushishi - Second Season
Oh hell yes. So first: You really should watch Mushi-Shi. It's a super atmospheric work of art with stellar imagery, audio work, and a phenomenal soundtrack. It follows the adventures of Ginko, a Mushi master (mushi-shi) who journeys across Japan researching the mysterious entities known as "Mushi", strange supernatural phenomena that dwell in and shape our world, while helping the people who encounter them. The original series won a tooooon of awards. Seriously, watch it; it's free on both YouTube and Hulu. Plus you can pick it up really cheap on Amazon. This is more of that! If it's anything as good as the original series, it's going to be sooooooo good.

04/04 JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders
Another season of the incredibly popular adaptation of the incredibly popular manga. It continues the story of the Joestar bloodline's bizarre adventures with the occult. The adaptation of the first two arcs by David Production went over so well that they got the sign off to do the third arc, which corresponds to the turning point of the manga where JoJo became INSANELY popular in Japan. Stardust Crusaders follows Jotaro Kujo, a half-Japanese descendant of the Joestar family (grandson of Battle Tendency protagonist Joseph Joestar) , who goes on a globe-trotting journey to defeat a dark specter from his family's past. The early previews look fantastic, and if they continue what they did with the first series, this should be amazing. I highly recommend giving the adaptation of the first two parts a watch if you haven't already.
:neckbeard: Manga Thread

04/04 Insufficient Direction (Kantoku Fuyuki Todoki)
DLE adaptation of the manga by Moyoco Anno, wife of Hideaki Anno (Evangelion, Gunbuster, dressing up as Ultraman, etc), about her daily life with the "founder of the otaku cult" and their lifestyle. It's a humorous daily life type thing, as far as I can tell. It's being directed by Azuma Tani (that Narlyethotep moe anime, Thermae Romae). And for everyone wondering: no, Anno isn't voice acting himself, Yamadera Kouchi is doing him (Tienshinhan, Togusa, Spike Spiegel, etc).

04/05 Tenkai Knights
Kids robot anime about SD mecha things. Sort of interesting from a meta standpoint in that it's being produced by Bones, the toys are being produced in Canada (by Spin Master), and that it's already aired in the US so this is the Japanese airing date that I'm only including because pfft.

04/05 Lady Jewelpet
The sixth Jewelpet show for young girls. It's a magical girl thing. Girls get taken to a magical world to compete to be Lady Jewelpet.

04/05 Pretty Rhythm All Star Selection
Another one of the Pretty Rhythm idol game to anime things for young girls. Its title refers to the fact that its protagonists are all from different games in the series.

04/05 Fairy Tail (2014)
Apparently there's another Fairy Tail anime? I didn't know the other one stopped. Is this just a continuation of that? I guess! If you somehow didn't hear about it: it's wizard guild shounen adventures.

04/05 Kindachi Case Files R (Kindaichi R)
Well this is a bit of an odd one. So: this is a manga adaptation of an ongoing detective murder mystery manga that started in 1992. But: It’s already had several anime adaptations and films in the early 90s. Suddenly after like a decade and a half, they've decided to start make new ones. It's taking over Space Brother’s TV slot. Toei is animating it, which means its one of like half a dozen they're doing this season. Apparently the manga it's based on / the previous adaptations were decently dark, but honestly this is the first time I've heard of the franchise. Given that it's airing in Space Brother's slot I wouldn't expect anything super daring.

04/05 Kenzen Robo Daimidaler
Comedy fanservice mecha anime adaptation of a seinen manga serialization in Fellows! It's being produced by TNK & Genco, and directed by Tetsuya Nagagisawa, which altogether means "the guys who made that terrible High School DXD anime". The protagonist is a high school boy named Madanbashi Kouichi, who posses Hi-ERo (get it, he's perverted) particles, the power source to operate the robotic weapon Daimidaler. With the help of Sonan Kyouko from the mysterious Prince Beauty Parlor (guys, we're a comedy) organization, he stands up against the Penguin Empire (which are either penguins with huge boners or men in penguin suits with huge boners, i cannot tell) that troubles humanity. It's airing on AT-X, so all things considered, this is going to be fanservice filled dreck. Also the designs collectively look like poo poo. It's opening theme is being done by Masaaki Endoh I guess, which is a thing.

04/05 Dragonar Academy
No, not that Dragonar. Sorry y'all. This is an ecchi manga adaptation being animated by C-Station (apparently as their first non 2nd key / in-betweening job) , and directed by Shunsuke Tada (nothing worth mentioning). The plot of the original manga goes thus: at a generic fantasy land dragon-riding school, everyone is really good at taming dragons except for the protagonist who is so bad that 'his dragon never appeared', despite him being marked to be a grand dragon master via a star-shaped birthmark (not the JoJo one). His dragon one day appears, and of course it's actually an anime girl, and of course she's tsundere as hell. The cosmic will of the aniverse demands it.

04/05 Tricks of the Gods ~Ludere Deorum~ (Kamigami no Asobi ~Ludere deorum~)
Brains Base adapting an Otome Game whose plot is based on the fact that a young Japanese girl is ordered by Zeus to go to a school he headmasters at to teach the meaning of love to young and homesome gods, in order to further strengthen the bond between the world of the divine and the world of the humans. So, you know, reverse harem action I guess?? Gods featured include Apollo, Hades, Thoth, and Baldur. If you're in to that kind of thing.

04/05 La Corda D'Oro Blue Sky
Continuation of a shoujo Visual Novel / manga adaptation from 2006-ish, being animated by TYO Animation. It's a reverse harem centered around musicians. It's being directed by Kojin Ochi (also directing that Samurai Warriors anime this season, previously directed Case Closed / Detective Conan for awhile).

04/05 Even So, The World is Beautiful (Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii)
Shoujo manga adaptation by Studio Pierrot. The fourth princess of the Rain Dukedom, who has the power to call forth the rain, is sent to the Sun Kingdom to marry its Sun King in order to maintain peace between their nations. Reluctantly traveling there, she discovers that the Sun King who has conquered the world in only three years after his ascension to the throne is even younger than she, and is quite childish indeed. Romance comedy ensues. It's being directed by Hajime Kamegaki (Fushigi Yugi, History's Strongest Disciple Ken'Ichi, Air Gear).

04/05 The Irregular at Magic High School (Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei)
Shounen manga / light novel adaptation by MADHOUSE. Kids go to technowizard school. The protagonist is a bad technowizard. His younger sister is an overachiever. Both are in technowizard school at the same time. There are incest and Japanese nationalism elements. Anime. It's being directed by Ono Manabu (Dragonaut, Saki).

04/05 Captain Earth
An original mecha anime by Yoji Enokido and Takuya Igarashi (Sailor Moon, Ouran High School, Revolutionary Girl Utena, and most recently Star Driver). They're a duo of writer and director that like to team up. They've apparently got together a lot of the staff that worked with them on Star Driver at Bones and are making this! The story begins with a second-year high school student, Daichi Manatsu, seeing a strange circular rainbow in the skies over the island of Tanegashima (home to Japan's Tanegashima Space Center). Filled with foreboding, he travels to the island alone, discovering chaos as well as a machine called the "Earth Engine". With alien life from Uranus called the "Kiltgang" (no, seriously) attacking, he is asked: "Are you the Captain?" Frankly, I think I am stuck with a much more ever present question: Why does every robot they make have a fancy hat? I'm not complaining, I'm just wondering why that's a thing. Hmm. Anyway, Star Driver was pretty cool, the staff on this is pretty good, it should be pretty good (or at the very least, watchable due to sheer fabulousness).

04/06 Roughneck Sumo Wrestler!! Matsutarou (Abarenbō Rikishi!! Matsutarō)
Another odd one. This is an adaptation of an ancient long-running (1970s - 1990s) manga by Tetsuya Chiba (Ashita no Joe, which is fantastic) by Toei Animation, directed by Yukio Kaizawa (Angel Densetsu, Digimon Tamers). It's airing in Saint Seiya Omega's former slot (which is apparently a very bad one, and SSO bombed). It follows the eponymous Matsutarou Sakaguchi, a heavy-set roughneck who doesn't believe in shounen cliches and just relies on his peerless skill and strength in sumo wrestling. He's held back only by his carefree personality. This isn't the first animated adaptation this has received, though it's the first TV series.

04/06 Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V
A card battling anime quite noticeably not about wizards, and without the common decency to have an amusing gimmick to make fun of. No stupid motorcycles or anything. Going off the preview trailer, the protagonist rides a tiny pink hippo? Why am I even still typing this? Let's move on.

04/06 Dragon Ball Kai - Buu Saga
Dragon Ball Kai is back! For those that missed Dragon Ball Kai: it's a remastering & trimming of the original Dragon Ball Z into much more bearable pacing and episode count. In the United States it's been airing on Nickelodeon, I believe. This extension into the Buu Saga wasn't planned on initially, but word on the street is that Western demand for more convinced them to just keep the gravy train rolling and exposure another generation to yet more Toriyama shenanigans. Will Goku still spend an entire episode going Super Saiyan 3? God I hope.

04/06 Haikyuu!!
A new Weekly Shounen Jump manga adaptation by Production I.G. It’s being directed by Susumu Mitsunaka (Cuticle Detective Inaba), with script / composition by Taku Kishimoto (Silver Spoon, Bunny Drop). A short kid decides to play volleyball after seeing a national championship on TV, forming his own club & team. Production I.G. likes them some shounen sports anime adaptations; they're typically pretty well animated if you're into that sort of thing!

04/06 Love Live! School Idol Project 2nd Season
Continuation of the previous anime about a bunch of girls deciding that clearly the only way to save their school from shutting down is to become idols and promote their school. Because that's the answer to everything. Consider the over-under on us eventually getting a TV anime series about idols winning Japan World War II. It'll happen. Anyway, this is a Sunrise gig,

04/06 Baby Steps
Shounen manga adaptation by Pierrot, it’s being directed by Masahiko Murata (Mazinkaiser, a couple Lain episodes, the boring Giant Robo remake). It follows a top-of-his-class honor student who decides to take up tennis in order to get much needed exercise. He uses his “smarts” to more strategically and intellectually approach his tennis club activities, rather than your typical shounen hot-blood.

04/06 Brynhildr in the Darkness (Gokukoku no Brynhildr)
Seinen manga adaptation by Arms Corporation (a Studio Pierrot division),. The original manga is by the guy who made Elfen Lied, and its being directed by Kenichi Imaizumi (animation direction / storyboarding all over the place, but this is his first director gig). It's about a boy who had a childhood friend who claimed to have met extraterrestrials. After she promised to show him proof, she gets involved in an accident and dies, something he blames himself for. Years later, a transfer student shows up with nearly the same name, looking quite like his dead friend, with supernatural / superhuman powers. Suddenly: wizards. Feel like I've heard this one before.

04/06 Break Blade
Apparently Production I.G. is bringing their mostly mediocre Break Blade mecha film series (based off a manga which is also similar) to the TV, reanimating and filling in bits. It's about a world where people can use quartz to power & control robots, forming the basis for much of their society (as well as medieval-esque warfare). A boy with the rare lack of this ability struggles with his life until finds an actual robot that specifically only works for people without the quartz-manipulation ability, and starts wrecking poo poo up. It's worth mentioning the source manga also has some bizarre fanservice built around a 12-year-old-girl-who-looks-specifically-like-an-18-year-old for some reason.

04/06 One Week Friends (Isshuukan Friends)
Shounen drama / comedy / romance manga adaptation by Brains Base that is looking to be this season's "melancholic slice of life anime". It follows a loner girl, Kaori Fujimiya, who never gets involved with anyone due to her short term loss which causes her to forget her experiences every week. A boy from her class, Yuuki Hase, decides to try to get closer to her each week, hoping that one day she will call him a friend. It's being directed by Tarou Iwasaki (Ryoko Case Files, various episode direction for BONES shows), with its screenplay by Shotaro Suga (Darker Than Black, Eccentric Family, much of GITS:SAC). The staff looks actually pretty good on this; there's a pretty decent chance this will be quite good all in all.

04/06 If She Triggers a Flag (Kanojo ga Flag wo Oraretara)
Light novel / manga being adapted by Hoods Entertainment. The protagonist, a high school boy, has the ability to visualize "flags" for events within his / other people's lives, such a "death flag" for someone soon to die. After transferring to a prestigious metropolitan high school, he finds himself pulled into "a crazy romantic comedy" when he finds himself living with four beautiful girls under the same roof. Didn't this anime already happen? Oh wait, no, that one was about the multiple choice aspect of dating sims, whereas this is about event flags. Totally different. Anyway, it's being directed by Ayumu Watanabe (Mysterious Girlfriend X, Space Brothers). It seems pretty daft.

04/07 Oreca Battle
ANOTHER CARD BATTLING ANIME NOTICEABLY DEVOID OF WIZARDS.

04/07 Dragon Collection
Like seriously, can we get some stupid pointy hats and beards in the card battling? Or anything to at least even laugh at? I'm not even sure this is a separate anime from the previous one; they share a website even.

04/07 Hero Bank
Apparently this kids anime about kids fighting centers in fact on money. Combat money.

04/07 Mangaka and Assistants (Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to)
Comedy slice of life adaptation by Zexcs. It's about a mangaka and his female assistant. As far as I can tell it's basically sexual harassment: the manga.

04/08 Black Bullet
Light novel adaptation by Kinema Citrus, and directed by Masayuki Kojima (Monster). It's about a post-apocalyptic near future where humans have been defeated by viral parasites. A boy and a girl fight them, with guns.

04/08 Soul Eater Not!
Adaptation of the Soul Eater slice-of-life comedy manga spinoff. It's being animated by the BONES E-team so, uh, don't expect anything particularly astounding animation wise really. The director & scripting is Masakazu Hashimoto, who hasn't done much (again, Bones E-team). The plot follows a team of Soul Eater kids who, instead of taking a class in battle, take a class in mitigating their abilities in order to have a normal life. It has no real overarching plot as far as I'm aware, and it doesn't intersect particularly with the main plot at all either.

04/08 History’s Strongest Disciple Ken’ichi - New Series
Just pretty recently announced, there’s going to be a new series of this. It’s about an ordinary kid who becomes super strong shounen kid. I don't know much else about it other than people complained about the fanservice in the manga.

04/08 Magica Wars (Mahou Shoujo Taisen)
Hahahaha, ok, so: A variety show in Japan ran a competition on pixiv to have people draw magical girls representing each and every small local town in Japan. This is the anime about the winning characters from said illustration competition, where presumably they're going to duke it out. It's being produced by GAINAX, with Ayano Ohnoki directing (not much previous experience at all), with screenplay / script by Kazuho Hyodo (Gundam AGE, Gundam SEED Destiny, few episodes for other shows). Gainax you used to be cool. This sounds like it'd be funny if it were parody, but it really doesn't look like it.

04/09 No Game No Life
Light novel adaptation by MADHOUSE. The story centers on a brother and sister duo of brilliant shut-ins that have spawned urban legends over the Internet, to the point that they consider the real world "another crappy game". One day they are summoned by a boy named "God" to an alternate reality where all things are decided by games, even national borders. Also: there are fantasy races. The unemployed shut-in siblings become the new "saviors of humanity" of this strange world. It's being directed by Atsuko Ishizuka (Blue Literature 11-12, Moon Waltz, The Pet Girl of Sakurasou), with composition by Jukki Hanada (K-ON!, Squid Girl, Nichijou, Kyo Ani stuff basically). The style looks visually interesting, MADHOUSE has legs when they want to use them, and the staff doesn't look terrible. Concept seems really dumb though.

04/09 Chaika the Coffin Princess (Hitsugi no Chaika)
Light novel adaptation by BONES. A retired 20-year old soldier meandering through life now that the war has ended encounters a 14-year-old sorceress (with sniper rifle) carrying a coffin and starts following her in hopes of finding meaning to his life again, along with his adopted sister. The original light novel is by the author of Scrapped Princess and Strait Jacket, is being directed by Soichi Masui (Scrapped Princess, lots of storyboarding for basically every BONES series, literally), with series composition by Touko Machida (Galilei Donna, Amagami, Lucky Star, Is This a Zombie?)

04/09 Storm Cloud Restoration Dai Shogun (Fuuun Ishin Dai?Shogun)
In the late Edo period, Japan had experienced an unprecedented crisis by Kurofune (Black Ships), the ships from foreign countries. But a giant robot called Onigami, which has existed since ancient time, dispelled the Kurofune ships and the exclusion of foreigners was accomplished. The story begins in Japan where Meiji restoration in 1868 didn't happen. The tagline says, "I can be the greatest man in the world, because I am a virgin!!" 'Nuff said.

04/10 Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky
Anime adaptation of the PlayStation 3 RPG game of the same name, being produced by Studio Gokumi. In a world that has progressed through numerous "Dusks", approaching its final end, there exists a nation that has prospered via alchemy. The people of this nation have devoted their efforts towards using the alchemical technology of the past to highlight the advance of the final twilight. A young researcher from the alchemy academy and a girl with innate knowledge of ancient alchemy from the frontier team up and do things. It's being directed by Yoshiaki Iwasaki (El Hazard, Love Hina, Zero's Familiar), with script by Tatsuhiko Urahata (Aria, D.Gray-man, Crime Edge, Hanasaku Iroha, Monster, Nana). I'm not familiar with the game at all, but any thoughts I have of "that sounds kind of interesting" are tempered by the knowledge that game adaptations are seldom if ever any good.

04/10 Is the Order a Rabbit? (Gochuumon wa Usagi desu ka?)
STOP. Ponder the context that title makes sense in. OK, CONTINUE: there is a café called Rabbit House. The main character likes rabbits a lot and goes there. That's it. Are there rabbits being served, or is just everything rabbit themed? Is the café just awash with rabbits everywhere, making GBS threads on everything? Whooooo knoooooows. What I do know is: it's based on a seinen 4-koma manga, it's being animated by White Fox, and directed by Hiroyuki Hashimoto (episode direction on R.O.D. TV, Code Geass 1 & R2, Angel Beats). So, another "nothing happens" comedy.

04/10 Nanana's Buried Treasure (Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin)
The season's first noitaminA block offering is this light novel adaptation by A-1 Pictures. It’s being directed by Kanta Kamei (Usagi Drop, also a lot of key animation all over the place), and with Hideyuki Kurata doing the script (GunXSword, Galilei Donna, Samurai Flamenco, also a ton of weird incest poo poo). It centers on the titular ghost who was once a ~beautiful basement dweller~, her buried treasure of "mysterious power", and a boy who accidentally moves into the apartment haunted by her (of course) after being forced to transfer to a high school on an artificial school-island. Those sure are a lot of things assembled into a concept. I am not optimistic that it isn't tripe.

04/10 Ping Pong the Animation
The season's second noitaminA anime, and something I'm rather excited for. It's an adaptation of an award winning short manga about a young ping pong prodigy; it previously had a live action adaptation back in 2002, so the timing of this new adaptation by Tatsunoko Production is a bit odd. What is very notable about this is that it's being directed by Masaaki Yuasa (Mind Game, Tatami Galaxy, Kick Heart, Kaiba, etc), one of the most interesting and talented animation directors in Japan. Love that Yuasa. Apparently the original manga has a very similar art style (it's by the Takemitsu Zamurai guy). Award winning source material, great director and staff, ping pong, sounds like a winning proposition all around.

04/10 Knights of Sidonia
Ok, first off I'm going to outright highly recommend the manga this is based on (written and illustrated by Tsutomu Nihei). I made a thread for it, check it out. Set thousands of years after Earth was destroyed a bizarre alien race known as the Gauna, humanity has fled into the depths of space using seed ships made from the remains of the Earth's crust. The Sidonia is one such massive ship, home to hundreds of thousands of human lives. Even though they have fled, they are still pursued by the Gauna, unknowable adapting entities, whose only goal seems to be the complete annihilation of humanity. In response, the humans on the Sidonia have taken drastic measures: developing large combat weapons known as Guardians, and beginning a widespread program of genetic modification across the ship. Nagate Tanikaze is a young man who was raised along in the bowels of the ship away from all others except his grandfather, with only a simulator to pass the time. After his grandfather's death, he emerges to the population at large, and finds himself drafted into the Guardian pilot corps that desperately fights for the survival of humanity. It's pretty dope. This adaptation is by Polygon Pictures. and is being directed by Shizuno Koubun (Detective Conan, Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still). I really hope it'll be good, but here's the thing: the entire series is being animated completely in 3DCG. Which never looks good. Oh well, maybe it'll be the exception. At the very least check out the manga! :thumbsup: This is already licensed for Netflix streaming, by and by.

04/11 Date a Live II
Continuation to the AIC Plus series, same staff and all that. "Anime protagonist (school boy, dull) meets mysterious armored girl and a ghost or something. Armored girl says he needs to date ghost in order to save world." It's a fanservice fantasy action thing.

04/12 Mekaku City Actors
Anime adaptation of a manga adaptation of a vocaloid song. Why does this keep happening? It's being produced by SHAFT and directed by Akiyuki Shinbou (All Those Shaft Things). It's about a basement dweller guy who meets a digital girl through his computer after receiving a "mysterious anonymous email ". She messes with his computer forcing him to go outside for the first time in two years! Apparently it's part of a wider setting / storything based on these vocaloid songs that focus on a group of protagonists with eye-related special powers. Concept sounds stupid as hell, but Shinbou can often redeem even dumb crap so whoooo knoooows.

04/15 Inugami and Nekoyama (Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san)
Shoujo-Ai 4-koma adaptation by a confederation of unremarkable studios (DAX, Seven, Dream Canyon). A dog-like girl befriends a cat-like girl. They become attracted. The magazine this is from is apparently female-targeted, so chances are it won't be as pervy I suppose.

04/21 M3: That Black Steel
New original anime by Satelight. It's being directed by Junichi Sato (Sailor Moon, Aria), composition is by Mari Okada (Hanasaku Iroha, Toradora, bunch of bad original stuff), with mechanicald esign by Shoji Kawamori (Eureka Seven, Macross, Aquarion). A bunch of eight teens are the key to using robots to stop the incarnation of human despair from destroying Tokyo or whatever.

April Normal High School Girls Tried Being Local Idols (Futsuu no Joshikousei ga Locodol Yattemita)
Adaptation of a seinen 4koma manga. It's being produced by Feel and directed by Munenori Nawa (a lot of dumb fanservice stuff). Two highschool girls become a small town's "local idols", performing lower-grade idol tasks in the area and getting their salaries from the town's taxes. Somehow this is not parody.

05/31 Monogatari, Second Season - Flower Story (Hanamonogatari)
Yet more Monogatari adaptations by SHAFT, Akiyuki Shinbo directing (as usual). They tend to be artsy-yet-creepy-exploitative. I don't think this one is at all a departure from the previous. It appears that its late appearance in the season will be accompanied by a run of only five episodes.

Spring Sudden Death
Comedy 4-koma manga being adapted by Gainax. A girl hears from her friend that if she joins a tea ceremony club, she'll be able to eat snacks. They do that thing. Yep. Most likely not happening this season, this is based off its initial announcement from last year. What a tragic loss that would truly be.

Spring Good Job Club @
Sequel to the previous Good Job Club / GJ-Bu anime, distinguished from the previous one by the additional appellation of an @ symbol. It's about a guy joining a club of four girls and then they do gently caress all. If you like doing gently caress all comedies, this one is apparently a pretty decent one.

Spring OVAs

03/12 Mitsuwano
Light novel film adaptation by Zexcs, it's looking to be a single 30 minute OVA. It's about young girls in Kyoto who dream of becoming apprentice geisha. Which is, uh, a thing.

03/17 A Town Where You Live OVA
Some special OVA episode stuck in volume 27 or this thing.

03/26 Destructive Dangerous Foolish Girls - Amazing Twins - 2
I'm not sure what the deal is with this anymore. It's being animated by Encourage Films, Junichi Sato (Kaleido Star, Aria, Princess Tutu, Sailor Moon), and written by Mari Okada (Hanasaku Iroha, Toradora, etc). Anime preteens fighting. No one had anything really positive to say about the first episode.

04/09 Attack On Titan! OVA
Some kind of OVA special in Volume 13. No idea.

04/16 Mushroom Family OVA 2
Another OVA of the anime adaptation of a cellphone game about mushroom cultivation. Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

05/16 Magi OVA - The Tale of Sinbad
OVA contained in the third volume of the manga. Presumably it's them doing their fantasy anime version of the tales of Sinbad. Here's a better cartoon about Sinbad.

05/16 Seitokai Yakuindomo OVA
An OVA packaged in some volume about that male student going to a newly integrated formerly all-girls school and joining the student council.

Spring 2014 Films

02/28 The Wind Rises
Wide theatrical airing of Miyazaki's latest / supposedly last film. It's about Jiro Horikoshi, the airplane designer who designed the Zero, following his life. It features music by Joe Hisaishi, and though it's not really relevant for the domestic theatrical airing, Jiro is played in Japan by Evangelion director Hideaki Anno. The film is critically acclaimed for how thoughtful and beautiful it is. It's had quite a bit of controversy about its subject matter, especially within Japan itself.

03/01 Kiki's Delivery Service - Live Action
This looks terrible.

03/01 Young Animators Training Project - Anime Mirai 2014
The 2014 edition of the Japanese Government's thing where they pay animators to produce some artsy and interesting / unique anime. There's usually some really interesting shorts out of these. Hopefully they'll end up on DVD/BD soon. Trailer.

03/07 Silver Spoon - Live Action
For those who have somehow missed both the manga and anime threads for Silver Spoon: it follows a troubled suburban kid who decides to go to a dorm-based agricultural school to get away from his home life. It's really cute and funny. This is going to be some live action thing and I have no idea. Check out the manga and/or anime at least.

03/08/ Pretty Rhythm All Stars Selection Prism Show?Best Ten Movie
Another one of those Pretty Rhythm films where a million rainbow colored idols do a thing.

03/15 Precure All Stars New Stage 3: Friends Forever
Another one of those PreCure films where a million rainbow colored magical girls do a thing.

03/15 Sekaiichi Hatsukoi
Studio DEEN adaptation of a "boys love" light novel about a sales agent at a publishing company and his romance with the editor chief.

04/05 THE NEXT GENERATION -PATLABOR- Episode 1
Patlabor live action adaptation part 1. The prop looks much better than the CG. For those not familiar with Patlabor: goofy mecha police.

04/12 L♥DK
Live action film adaptation of a shoujo romance manga about a the school's "prince" who always turns down confessions inevitably getting together with the female lead.

04/19 Crayon Shin-Chan Movie 22: Serious Battle! Robot Dad Strikes Back
Shin-chan's dad is turned into a robot and some sort of "father revolution" strikes Japan.

4/19 Detective Conan Movie #8247
Someone got murdered and it's up to Conan to solve it and not wrap up his plot for three decades.

04/26 Tamako Love Story
Kyoto Animation's newest thing, it's a Tamako Market film. Presumably it'll involve a love story.

04/26 Sora no Otoshimono Final: Eternal My Master
Fanservice anime action thing part a million, film 2.

05/17 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn 7
Unicorn is ending after like a decade or whatever.

05/17 Recently, my sister is unusual
Cool that anime from last season about a girl possessed by a ghost attempting to seduce her brother so as to use his horniness energy for said ghost to move into the afterlife is getting a live action adaptation. Cool. Cool. Cool cool. Cool. Cool cool cool cool.

05/24 Go Go Yuto
Something kids soccer.

05/31 THE NEXT GENERATION -PATLABOR- Episode 2
The second part of that thing I already mentioned.

With the Winter season wrapping up in the next few weeks, you may want to consider leaving your thoughts on concluding series on the ADTRWiki.

REMEMBER: There’s a “Three Episode Rule” for season threads. After three episodes have aired for a show, if you wish to discuss the show you need to make a thread for it, or I’ll be probating you!

Zorak fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Glossary of useful terms etc

AT-X: Subscription-based satellite TV channel airing mostly anime. Because of its obscure nature it's (in)famous for airing uncensored versions of various fanservice anime that has naughty parts removed on normal terrestrial free-to-air television.

BONES: Animation studio. Made a bunch of fantastically good shows some years back, has been less than successful lately. They have five separate sub-studio teams that specialize on various things. ANN Entry

Gen Urobuchi: The dude who wrote Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Blassreiter, Saya no Uta, and Fate/Zero. He's sort of a hot topic of discussion in both the Japanese and Western anime community since quite a large number of people are really into his plots, which are typically very dark. Patron Saint of jonjonaugs everywhere. ANN Entry

Gonzo clause: Rule of thumb that says that any anime animated by studio Gonzo will suck poo poo. Quite accurate in general, and no longer irrelevant since Gonzo magically lives again now. ANN Entry

JC Staff: Animation studio, usually considered to do above average quality work. Mostly known for their endless stream of romantic comedies with at least one tsundere character voiced by Kugimiya Rie per show. Sort of a non-topic nowadays. ANN Entry

Josei: Literally means "woman", but in this context it means a watcher/reader demographic, mostly consisting of young adult women and girls in their late teens. Often totally interchangeable with seinen.

Light Novel: A style of Japanese novel roughly equivalent to the Western "Young Adult fiction" in terms of complexity and length, though the audience is wider. They are the source for a lot of anime adaptations nowadays, and typically have incredibly long and stupid titles.

MADHOUSE: Anime studio that produces some high quality works and generally aim towards non-conventional works (say, about karuta). They offset this risk by interspersing their good shows with a lot of contract work and a lot of really cheap sure-sells to make ends meet. These guys do all the western nerd animes (Batman, Halo, Mass Effect). ANN Entry

Noitamina: A late-night one-hour anime timeslot on Fuji TV, a Tokyo-based terrestrial channel. It was initially explicitly aimed at the josei demographic, but these days almost anything goes. It has a reputation for airing odd or experimental shows, as well as for above-average quality. ANN Entry

ONA: Original Net Animation, short term for "straight to internet stream".

OVA: Original Video Animation, short term for "straight to video".

Production I.G: Generally well-regarded animation studio, known for things like GitS:SAC, Patlabor and a bunch of Oshii Mamoru movies. They are probably the best studio at the moment for making 3DCG work well. They have several sub-studios and teams working on things simultaneously. ANN Entry

Seinen: Literally means "man", but in this context it means a watcher/reader demographic, mostly consisting of young adult men and boys in their late teens. Often totally interchangeable with josei.

SHAFT: Animation studio, mostly known for very low-budget but nevertheless visually interesting shows. See also Shinbou Akiyuki. ANN Entry

Shoujo: Literally means "girl", but in this context it refers to the demographic aimed primarily at teen girls.

Shounen: Literally means "boy", but in this context it refers to the demographic aimed primarily at teen boys.

Shinbou Akiyuki: A director that seems to be at least partially insane or permanently high. Usually works with SHAFT and has a number of gimmicks, many of which involve meta-jokes and the like. The animation in his shows is often ridiculous and ADTRW is down with that. ANN Entry

Studio DEEN: Animation studio infamous for its lovely adaptations and even shittier animation. ANN entry

ufotable: Animation studio, best known for their habit of putting stop-motion clay figure animation in odd places, and for the Kara no Kyoukai movie series. Generally does high quality work these days. ANN entry

Visual Novel: "Video Game" novel. Text stories presented with art, sound, and often voice acting. Dating sims are a typical example, though it can often skew towards adventure games as well.

Wakamoto Norio: That guy with that awesome voice that everyone likes. ANN entry

Winter Look Back

The Winter Season is still ongoing, so take care to keep all discussion about it in the Winter Season thread. If you can't find anything that interests you in the Winter season, you should consider checking it out! Here's shows from Winter that had threads posted for them in ADTRW. Keep in mind that the entries date back to when it was posted in Winter.

TV

Shinchiro Watanabe (Director: Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Macross Plus, Kids on the Slope), Dai Sato (Script: Eureka Seven, Cowboy Bebop, GITS:SAC, Samurai Champloo), and studio BONES developing a new space opera adventure. Space☆Dandy… is about a dandy guy in space. Named Dandy. He is partnered with a space cat/weasel named Meow, and owns a terrible robot named QT. They go on space adventures, searching for new life. Where Cowboy Bebop was aesthetically 30% comedy, 70% action, they’ve stated this is the other way around. In fact, they used the words “Imagine a series of Mushroom Samba”. YEP. Watanabe has gone all out with the production from what I can tell, getting a different designer for each planet visited to create diversity in the races. The staff involved are pretty much the best we’ve got in anime, and it’s going to be simultaneously airing in the US on Adult Swim. MEGAHYPE.

Sword Art Online: Extra Edition
Bonus extra episode to the moderately popular Sword Art Online of earlier this year. It's being simulcast globally. For those that missed it: it’s still airing on Adult Swim, and it’s mega anime “oh no we are stuck in an MMO!” stuff.

Buddy Complex
OK, based off that name alone what do you think this anime is about? If you answered "another Sunrise attempt at making Gundam without calling it Gundam" you get to add a point to your Anime Card. Two unlikely young men find themselves piloting robots. It's being directed by Yasuhiro Tanabe (Battle Spirits: Brave, Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere). This is a "Hajime Yatate" original (that is, the Sunrise animation staff concepted it), and apparently the script is being written via comittee.

NobunaGun
Manga to anime adaptation being produced by Bridge. Nobuhiro Kondo (Sgt. Frog) is directing, Hiroshi Yamaguchi (Betterman, Sgt. Frog, Blue Sub #6) is handling the series composition. A Japanese high schooler visiting Taiwan on a school trip finds herself being attacked by monsters; a secret government agency (called DOGOO) sends agents (called E-Gene Holders) who wield weapons infused with the souls of historical figures, and our protagonist discovers she is an E-Gene Holder. That can use a gattling gun. With the soul of Oda Nobunaga. Hence the name.

My Neighbor Seki (Tonari no Seki-kun)
Manga adaptation by Shin-Ei Animation, it's a series of 10-minute shorts. A girl named Yokoi sits next to a boy named Seki who doesn't pay attention in class, instead constructing elaborate distractions for himself. Yokoi finds herself often distracted and interested in his games, even though she's the one who always seems to get in trouble for them. It’s an all-ages sort of comedy, the manga is fairly amusing.

Witchcraft Works
Seinen manga adaptation by J.C. Staff, directed/compositioned by Tsutomu Mizushima (Dokuro-chan, Another, Blood-C, Girls und Panzer, xxxHOLiC). A completely ordinary high school student who sits next to the school's most beautiful girl, with their only interactions resulting in ire from her fanclub. When he's about to die from falling off a building, he's rescued by said beauty, who is 1. a witch and 2. on a mission to protect him. Also: 3. she’s taller than him.

Stray Gods (Noragami)
New anime by BONES, based on an ongoing shounen manga. A middle school girl who has been suffering endless bullying from her classmates goes to the restroom to cry. There she finds scrawled on the wall a phone number and the message, "I solve your troubles." She calls the number and discovers a boy wearing a jersey. He is a minor kami whose dream is to accumulate followers and worshippers to increase his divine power. He decides to help her and his first step towards getting a shrine dedicated to his name.

Saki: Zenkoku-hen
Another anime in the suuuuper ongoing anime about girls playing mahjong. It's being produced by Studio Gokumi, the studio of former Gonzo dudes.

Love Song for a Certain Pilot (To Aru Hikuushi e no Koi-Uta)
TMS Entertainment adapting a light novel. It’s set in the same universe of a previous light novel adapted into a film, “The Princess and the Pilot”. Toshimasa Suzuki (Heroic Age, Rinne no Lagrange) is directing. A former prince who has lost everything in a revolution leaves on a one-way journey from home. He meets others along the way who help calm his angry heart. It's a love story / pilot-y thing.

D-Frag!
Seinen manga to anime adaptation by Brains Base. A wanna-be delinquent is shanghai-ed into joining a club of bizarre girls.

Even With Eighth Grader Syndrome, I Want to Be in Love / Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions (Season 2) (Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! (Season 2))
Sequel to the previous light novel adaptation by Kyoani. A kid who was goofy in middle school wants to put it in his past while in high school, but falls in with a weird girl during his first days in high school. Tatsuya Ishihara (Air, Clannad, Kanon, Nichijou, Haruhi) directing.

Cool-Headed Houzuki (Houzuki no Reitetsu)
Dark comedy based on a manga nominated for the Taisho Manga Awards in 2012. It's being produced by Wit Studio and directed by Hiro Kaburaki (Kimi no Todoke, Tonari no Kabitusu-kun, Zenryoku Usagi). Houzuki is a deputy of Yama, the King of Hell. Calm-headed but sadistic, Houzuki tries to solve the problems that occur in Hell.

Wake Up, Girls!
Ordet and Tatsunoko anime, being produced both as a TV and a film simultaneously. Both versions are being directed by Yutaka Yamamoto (Fractale) and the script / composition is being written by by Touko Machida (Galilei Donna, Katanagatari, Idolm@ster). A production company going out of business due to having no more clients decides to produce an idol group to try to turn things around. So it's about a manager scouting young girls for his idol group and producing their stuff, I GUESS. I think the whole idol thing is pretty scummy so I cannot give a poo poo about this, personally.

World Conquest ~Zvezda of Intrigue~ (Sekai Seifuku ~Bouryaku no Zvezda~)
Original anime by A-1 Pictures. It's being directed by Tensai Okamura (Darker Than Black, Ao no Exorcist, Kikaider, Wolf's Rain). It follows Zvezda, a secret society bent on world conquest, led by a little girl. SPOILER: the little girl is half naked.

Wizard Barristers: Benmashi Cecil
Original anime by Arms and Pony Canyon, directed / designed / etc by Yasuomi Umetsu (the visionary behind a bunch of "famous" hentai from the 90s). Set in Tokyo in the year 2018, where normal humans and those can use magic coexist. In order to govern magic use, courtrooms are created which preside over laws over magic use. Benmashi are magical barristers which defend magic users in court. Cecil is one of them. She does that thing.

Inari, KonKon, Koi Iroha.
Production IMS and Flying Dog make an anime based on an ongoing seinen manga series. An ordinary girl who has a crush on a classmate finds herself unable to express her feelings to her love, exacerbated by the fact that she accidentally humiliates him in front of the class and he refuses her apologies, and the fact that he appears to be interested in another girl. But: she rescued a fox kit before school, which causes a fox goddess to grant her a single wish. She wishes… to be the other girl. Things go badly, in the comical way.

Happiness Charge PreCure!
Newest installment in the eternal PreCure franchise that exists largely to move toys to girls / aged men. No details about it out yet. Wild rear end guess: idols. Some people are speculating its a sequel / spiritual successor to the extremely popular Heartcatch PreCure but that’s mostly just wishful thinking.

Spring 2014 |
Spring 2013 | Summer 2013 | Fall 2013 | Winter 2013-2014
Spring 2012 | Summer 2012 | Fall 2012 | Winter 2012-2013
Spring 2011 | Summer 2011 | Fall 2011 | Winter 2011-2012
Spring 2010 | Summer 2010 | Fall 2010 | Winter 2010-2011
Spring 2009 | Summer 2009 | Fall 2009 | Winter 2009-2010
Spring 2008 | Summer 2008 | Fall 2008 | Winter 2008-2009
Spring 2007 | Summer 2007 | Fall 2007 | Winter 2007-2008
Spring 2006 | Summer 2006 | Fall 2006 | Winter 2006-2007
Spring 2005 | Summer 2005 | Fall 2005 | Winter 2005-2006
Spring 2004 | Summer 2004 | Fall 2004 | Winter 2004-2005

Zorak fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 11, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Dear Anime please make a Magic Anime love Dickeye.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Taking bets now: How many OPs/EDs this season will feature dubstep?

My guess is 3.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Taking bets now: How many OPs/EDs this season will feature dubstep?

My guess is 3.

ALI Project dub step

Somehow it'll still sound the same as every other ALI Project song.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Zorak posted:

04/05 Dragonar Academy
No, not that Dragonar. Sorry y'all.
:negative:

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
From what I understand, Inugami and Nekoyama is pretty service-y. The Devil's Riddle could really go either way, but I'm not holding my breath.

Edit: Also gently caress yes, more Mushishi.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Mar 4, 2014

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

In a sigh of relief, HappinessCharge didn't revolve around idols! I'm super stoked for Stardust Crusaders coming up.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
As ever, the list of new shows is an intimidating and impenetrable fog to me, full of long-running franchises that I've never tried, and seemingly interchangeable plot summaries. I guess a ping-pong anime is pretty distinctive at least.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

StandardVC10 posted:

As ever, the list of new shows is an intimidating and impenetrable fog to me, full of long-running franchises that I've never tried, and seemingly interchangeable plot summaries. I guess a ping-pong anime is pretty distinctive at least.

Would it be any less impenetrable in podcast form? :v:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Ping-Pong anime is gonna rule and will definitely be the best anime of the season, because Yuasa owns.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Still have not watched any Jojo, which I know I need to rectify. Is it available streaming anywhere?

I'll probably check out Kindachi Case Files because it's detective mystery (which I like), Ping Pong because it has Ping Pong (also the trailer owns), Mekaku City Actors because of Shinbo/SHAFT (they really can make anything work), Blade & Soul purely for posterity (watch this somehow be good, given its staff), Captain Earth because it sounds like crazy poo poo will happen, and Mushi-shi Second Season because HOLY poo poo THERE'S MORE MUSHI-SHI? (I've actually never finished the first season, don't know why).

I watched the Broken Blade movies a while ago and they were meh. Neat action sequences at least, and given that the whole thing seems to be an excuse to have mechas smash each other to bits, I at least don't feel robbed of my time. Probably won't watch this new one though.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I guess I could check out Captain Earth.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I wonder if any of these card game shows will have as much staying power as Vanguard. Probably not.

And that's actually somehow not the most absurdly inappropriate thing Imagawa has directed.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I'm still catching up with stuff I missed six months ago, but I guess I'll mark out for JoJos, Ping Pong, Sidonia and Terrestrial Commanders. Captain Earth might at least sate my mecha thirst after Build Fighters inevitably wraps up here in the next month.

Also I'll probably catch a little bit of Arc-V because one of my close friends does a ton of YGO translation stuff so I'm bound to hear about it in some form or another.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 4, 2014

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Fairy Tail and Mushishi. I'm already happy with this season.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
That is an odd choice of directors for Blade and Soul. I hope they take NCSoft's money and give it the Ixion Saga DT treatment. Vaguely use the MMO setting for a gag anime instead of a fan service-y tie-in.

I cannot wait for more Mushishi. The special episode in January did not miss a beat after the long hiatus.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
There's way too much poo poo I'm interested in in that list. Oh well, at least a third of them will turn out to be godawful anyway.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Counting down the days until Mushishi...

Wow, Unicorn is actually ending. It's hard to believe.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Stuff I'll probably check out at least one episode of or interests me in some way:

JoJo Part 3 - It's JoJo.
Ping Pong - It's a Yuasa anime.
Captain Earth - I enjoyed Star Driver from beginning to end, so I'm looking forward to what Igarashi and Enokido cook up next. Hopefully we get good Enokido (Utena, most of Star Driver) and not bad Enokido (some parts of Star Driver, that scene in Diebuster where a dude goes "I don't wanna grow up so I'm gonna rape a robot").
If She Triggers A Flag - Normally this would be the show of the season I watch two or three episodes of, bemoan that it isn't doing anything interesting with the concept while being even creepier than you'd think it could be in the worst-case, and curse light novels from the bottom of my soul. But the promotional material makes me want to throw up already so I'll just skip to the end and go "gently caress 99% of light novels" and sit this one out.
Black Bullet - I've actually heard some decent things about this one. I've seen a few posts elsewhere comparing it favorably to Nitro+ material. I'm not particularly hopeful or optimistic that it'll be good though because gently caress 99% of light novels.

EDIT: Also Kamen Rider Gaim will be continuing. We're 20 episodes in and so far the series just keeps getting better and better. You should check it out if you haven't seen it yet.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Mar 4, 2014

kyubeybryant
Jan 4, 2013
Thanks for doing these summaries as always, the podcast was also fun to listen to.

Some minor comments, Soul Eater Not! is definitely a lighthearted comedy, but based on the manga it will include maybe more than a few fighting scenes against actual antagonists so you shouldn't lose hope for beautifully choreographed fights yet. Also, I checked out the first chapter of Inugami and Nekoyama and they're already making out on the 5th page soooooo even if it isn't directed at guys it's very clearly heavy fanservice either way?

No Game No Life could end up being both very good and very bad, on one hand the rules and setting are relatively deep and well-constructed for yet another video game becomes real show, but on the other hand it has incest on the cover and disturbing use of mind control before the first chapter even finishes. At best I could only see this being similar to bakemonogatari, it might be good overall but the skeevy parts will just make it impossible to recommend to most people.

On a lighter note Jojo looks super rad. Ping Pong is one of my favorite manga, I think they waited so long because they wanted be sure they could get Yuasa on the project. It really is perfect for his style:

BUTTERFLY JOE

Zandracon
Oct 21, 2010
Whatever majin bone is, here's a trailer for it. it looks like one of those kids merch shows??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXKc1VPlGTA

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Zandracon posted:

Whatever majin bone is, here's a trailer for it. it looks like one of those kids merch shows??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXKc1VPlGTA

It's another attempt to make a huge franchise by Bandai/Toei, its getting an arcade+card game tie-in. Basically its just another dumb kids show. Also, half of it is CG. The hilarious part is the original character designs are by Murata (One Punch Man) but that wont mean much in the end since he isn't doing the anime or CG chara designs.

So uh Ping Pong should be sweet assuming Yuasa managed to find some staff to work on it after Dandy stole all his friends, a couple of the regulars are confirmed (team Dandy 9 is, for one), but Tatsunoko kind of sucks 99% of the time so hopefully they give him a decent animation team to work with :/ Yuasa was literally begging for episode directors on twitter a few months ago which is really really worrying but now he's back to only begging for animators so thats a step u--- oh god why

JoJo will kick rear end, an outsource studio managed to leak they were working on episode 1 back in November so its entirely possible production is way ahead especially compared to the first 2 parts so it might even look great (ok, better).

Love Live is the only idol show I can tolerate that isn't a kids show named Aikatsu so definitely watching S2. Mushi-shi S2 maybe if someone yells at me to finish S1 enough.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

Not too many interesting sounding things this season, I guess I'll watch Jojo if I ever bother to finish watching the previous parts, and the Ping Pong anime sounds interesting. If I watch the first season of Mushi-shi I'll probably watch the second one too.

Other than that, I'll maybe watch one episode of the new Yugioh (is it Arc-V because it's the 5th YGO series?) to see if it's dumb like ZEXAL was, or if it's dumb like 5D's was. I want to see just how much of a trainwreck "We are all pathetic" will be, and maybe try and see if Captain Earth is something I'll like despite not really liking mecha.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
JOJOBA, Mushishi 2, Knights of Sidonia (sigh cg), Attack on Titan OVA 2, Young Animators Training Project.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Almost everything sounds bad this time.
One Week Friends sounds rather promising though.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

nielsm posted:

Almost everything sounds bad this time.
One Week Friends sounds rather promising though.

Yeah, I will definitely watch the first couple of episodes of One Week Friends.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Zorak posted:

April Ping Pong the Animation
The season's second noitaminA anime, and something I'm rather excited for. It's an adaptation of an award winning short manga about a young ping pong prodigy; it previously had a live action adaptation back in 2002, so the timing of this new adaptation by Tatsunoko Production is a bit odd. What is very notable about this is that it's being directed by Masaaki Yuasa (Mind Game, Tatami Galaxy, Kick Heart, Kaiba, etc), one of the most interesting and talented animation directors in Japan. Love that Yuasa. Apparently the original manga has a very similar art style (it's by the Takemitsu Zamurai guy). Award winning source material, great director and staff, ping pong, sounds like a winning proposition all around.
Holy poo poo, I loved that movie! What a nice surprise. That really takes me back. I can only hope the anime also features Free Your Soul though I doubt it will.

Didn't know we were also getting more GJ-bu, which was a pleasant surprise from last year. I was a little worried that Mushishi was going to be the only thing to watch this time around but it looks like that won't be the case.

I had actually read a few chapters of One Week Friends a while back, though I gradually lost interest. It wasn't bad though.

E: Oh yeah probably gonna give Captain Earth a whirl as well.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 4, 2014

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Zorak posted:

04/05 Kindachi Case Files R (Kindaichi R)
Well this is a bit of an odd one. So: this is a manga adaptation of an ongoing detective murder mystery manga that started in 1992. But: It’s already had several anime adaptations and films in the early 90s. Suddenly after like a decade and a half, they've decided to start make new ones. It's taking over Space Brother’s TV slot. Toei is animating it, which means its one of like half a dozen they're doing this season. Apparently the manga it's based on / the previous adaptations were decently dark, but honestly this is the first time I've heard of the franchise. Given that it's airing in Space Brother's slot I wouldn't expect anything super daring.

Hang on, Is space brothers finally going off the air? This makes me extremely sad if true. It may not get much discussion but I still love watching it week to week and Mutta still hasnt got to the moon, which means it cant end yet!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
N-thing One Week Friends. Seems like it could be my non-harem romcomedrama of the season.

I've always loved the Kindaichi Case Files, so I'll probably watch it. I'm guessing it'll be covering Season II of the manga series? If it is, I'll be rewatching the books I've read but I'm not averse to that, and I've forgotten the earlier volumes anyways so it's not like I'll remember who the murderers are.

Gonna give Nana's Buried Treasure a try, as well as Even So, the World is Beautiful and Devil's Riddle, cause they seem interesting. I'm guessing I'll end up dropping the first and the third.

Nothing's really grabbing me this season, but then again, I wasn't too impressed with most of last season and thought I'd be just watching KlK and HxH and Chu2 Season 2, but I ended up loving the gently caress out of Engaged to the Unidentified and Zvezda.

On the other hand, Nobunagun was a total bust, so :shrug:.

ZepiaEltnamOberon fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Mar 4, 2014

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

this spring season looks kind of bad. then again i am only watching 2 shows from the winter season. guess i will watch gundam unicorn now since they are finally releasing the last episode.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Feels like it's been forever since unicorn started. Last ep better be amazing.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
A lot of mediocre to bad stuff this season it looks like.

Although, some of the generic shounen LN adaptions have been pretty alright in manga form specifically Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Also I pretty much always give any dumb idol show an episode or two to see if the music is any good so i'll give those a try.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
Mekaku City Actors is based on some songs I like and there are a few neat ideas in the videos for the songs, but since they're just three-minute long PVs I'm not sure how they're going to make a full anime out of it. I think there's a manga, but I've never read it.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 4, 2014

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

JoJo 2 and Mushishi 2 that's one helluva 1-2 punch.

I keep pronouncing LocoDol with a Spanish accent. I'm sure the show will be terrible, but the name amuses me.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Can anyone who's read the Haikyuu! manga tell me how much shonen burning spirit is in it?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

jonjonaug posted:

EDIT: Also Kamen Rider Gaim will be continuing. We're 20 episodes in and so far the series just keeps getting better and better. You should check it out if you haven't seen it yet.

And Ressha Sentai ToQGer, the new Super Sentai series started a couple weeks ago, if you're more curious about tokusatsu. It had a robot use a trainboner to break out of a coffin.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Endorph posted:

Mekaku City Actors is based on some songs I like and there are a few neat ideas in the videos for the songs, but since they're just three-minute long PVs I'm not sure how they're going to make a full anime out of it. I think there's a manga, but I've never read it.

Hm? The vocaloid guy in question has released four best-selling light novels and three manga volumes with this setting, if I understand correctly. Seems to be enough to animate something.

Can't stand his songs, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I might give Ping Pong and Captain Earth a try but for the most part this just seems like Jojo: The Season.

Also Zorak isn't the latest Geass OVA due out this spring?

• Locked thread