Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

Indecision1991 posted:

Do you guys think the 2.3L turbo for the 2015 year is going to bring in new mustang fans? What do you guys think of the 2.3 in a mustang? I have discussed it with some car friends and their consensus is that its not a mustang unless it has a GT tag and that V8. I am interested in the 2.3 but wont lie that the V8 is very tempting.

It's fine to say you wouldn't want a Mustang unless it's a V8, but defeatist to say a Mustang shouldn't be anything but a V8.

I think the 2.3 will be a hell of a car. It should perform a bit better than the V6 and will also deliver the broad torque band lacking in the V6. Plus it'll be really easy to tune, if you're into that sort of thing.

However, I do have reservations about reliability, as Ford's had a lot of complaints about its EcoBoost engines in certain models. It'd be best to wait a couple years after release to see how it works out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecision1991
Sep 13, 2012

Faceless Clock posted:

It's fine to say you wouldn't want a Mustang unless it's a V8, but defeatist to say a Mustang shouldn't be anything but a V8.

I think the 2.3 will be a hell of a car. It should perform a bit better than the V6 and will also deliver the broad torque band lacking in the V6. Plus it'll be really easy to tune, if you're into that sort of thing.

However, I do have reservations about reliability, as Ford's had a lot of complaints about its EcoBoost engines in certain models. It'd be best to wait a couple years after release to see how it works out.

Good point, the Current V8 already has years of testing and its a well known solid engine. I didnt even think about reliability.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Tide posted:

It's that glorious underwater rumble at idle that gets my pecker poking out.

Pretty much the sound is the main reason the V8 will continue to reign supreme. Aside from the pure animalistic sound of a well-tuned V8, the tech in the Coyote engine is really well-tested, tried, and true at this point. Tuners are comfortable with it, the aftermarket makes a slew of bolt-ons and other power-adders for it, and the engine is becoming more and more available, price-wise. While I wouldn't have considered tossing a Coyote in my 95GT 3 years ago, today it looks like a very viable option. The more of those engines they produce, the easier it will be to buy one.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
And that's really the thing. The coyote can push out ridiculous horsepower without really trying and be dead reliable while doing so. My '12 is pushing 600 HP at the rears and is capable of quite a bit more before I really need to start worrying about splitting the block or otherwise blowing something up. Hell, a stock coyote is more than enough horsepower for 99.9 percent of drivers and plenty to have an absolute blast with in any situation.

But it's drat fun being that .1

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
I am going to be taking out my Mustang from storage at the end of next month, So it will be time for mods! I have terrible gear whine, so I am going to get rid of it and put in another gear set. I am planning to do the entire rear axle rebuild since, its all apart I might as well upgrade everything mentality.

I am looking to get this
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-4204SDK-E/99-04-Mustang-88-31-Spline-Severe-Duty-Rear-Axle-Kit-5-Lug-373-Gears

it comes with the FRPP Carbon Clutch Disc 31 spline differential part M-4204-F318C. I am not the most up to date on differentials.
so 2 questions....

1) is this differential any good or should I look at other models? its going to be primary street driven.
2) while the axles are taken out, should I invest in upgrading the rear brakes? I dont want to have to take the axles out again, if I have to replace the brakes so I would want to do everything at once.

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011
Out with the old

In with the new

Tide: Just ordered the intake adapter for accufab because gently caress you this will get done.

bowling 4 buttcoins fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 28, 2014

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I see no snail :colbert:

(Nice pcv breathers)

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

kalvick posted:

I have terrible gear whine, so I am going to get rid of it and put in another gear set.

Do you know what is causing the whine? Seems overkill to build a whole new rear end if you can just re-set up the gears you have now.

I don't think there is any tangible benefit in upgrading from GT to Cobra rear brakes.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
^^^i agree. without doing the fronts, putting on the cobra rears isn't the best idea.

bowling 4 buttcoins posted:

Tide: Just ordered the intake adapter for accufab because gently caress you this will get done.

Nice. I would honestly love to bring a case a beer and help but yeah....

I can't believe it's taking this long. How did the suspension work go? Happy with it?

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011

Tide posted:

^^^i agree. without doing the fronts, putting on the cobra rears isn't the best idea.

Nice. I would honestly love to bring a case a beer and help but yeah....

I can't believe it's taking this long. How did the suspension work go? Happy with it?

Pretty good but not done. Revelations is going to help me out with the install around early March, so the timeline should be Paxton install -> Tune -> Alignment shop.

Then I slowly wait for the tires to burn down, remount 275f/305r on current rims, swap to spherical balljoints and bumpsteer kit.

Being so lowered, I feel like I am constantly fighting the steering wheel when driving, which adds to the "fatigue" of driving a car like this. It goes straight when the road is smooth and level, but unless you have a firm grip on the steering it will dart side to side on any road irregularities, which are plentiful out here.

I'm really interested to see how the new IRS performs on CA roads.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Do you know what is causing the whine? Seems overkill to build a whole new rear end if you can just re-set up the gears you have now.

I don't think there is any tangible benefit in upgrading from GT to Cobra rear brakes.

I have had the gears in for about 4 years. I was using a pretty lovely tuner company. When I first got them installed they had a terrible whine, but the installer insisted that they where installed correctly and that gear whine was normal.
year after year the noise got worst. I am pretty sure resetting them now, wont do anything as the gears are worn into place.

The reason I want to upgrade the complete rear end is because, well why the hell not? I have always done one major upgrade a year to my Mustang. I decided a long time ago, then when a part breaks, I am going to upgrade that part to the best it can be.
if I have to fix the rear gears, the differential and the axles have to move out to get the rings in. Thats why I want to rebuild the rear end while everything is taken apart.

I was going to get a Wilwood big brake kit this year, for my yearly mod. but I want to get this gear noise fixed. I am pretty sure I have to move the axles out to get a big brake kit installed.

I have 13" cobras in the front already.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

kalvick posted:

I have 13" cobras in the front already.

Oh, didn't see that in your original post. Go for it!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I imagine if this person doesn't sell the car I might see it in the news in a few weeks. Maybe surrounding a telephone pole or under a semi.

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/4352714543.html

Who would ever pay more than MSRP, anyway?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Well I imagine if you wait until he has to file his 1040 you can buy that car for 40k. hehehehe.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Does anyone have a new edge mustang with stock size wheels right now? Im looking at new summer wheels, and Id like something different than cobras or bullits. I found a pair I like, but the offset is 16 and the stock offset is 30. That means the wheels will stick out 14mm (or 1.4cm) past where normally sits. Since I have winter wheels its harder to go outside and visualize it, and I didnt get many clear pictures of my car with the summer wheels on so I really cant tell if it'll look bad or if you cant even tell.

For reference heres an old picture from this thread, unfortunately its as big as I have since it was a skydrive uploaded photo and that drops the resolution.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Cage posted:

Does anyone have a new edge mustang with stock size wheels right now? Im looking at new summer wheels, and Id like something different than cobras or bullits. I found a pair I like, but the offset is 16 and the stock offset is 30. That means the wheels will stick out 14mm (or 1.4cm) past where normally sits. Since I have winter wheels its harder to go outside and visualize it, and I didnt get many clear pictures of my car with the summer wheels on so I really cant tell if it'll look bad or if you cant even tell.

For reference heres an old picture from this thread, unfortunately its as big as I have since it was a skydrive uploaded photo and that drops the resolution.

Offset 30 will be fine. You're well inside 1.4cm of movement outwards. Unless you have some setup that positively centers the axle, you're going to get a small amount of rub on hard cornering, so I wouldn't take it to a track day without resolving that first; but as a street-driven car it'll be just fine.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I look at that picture and realize I need louvers.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I love the new edge Mustangs for some reason. I wish they would have updated the interiors to be more angular as well. The temptation to pick one up kills me sometimes.

Which dovetails into another thing...I've got an offer from a hardcore Mustang guy to buy mine for about what I have in it. Awfully tempting to sell it and bank the cash for a '15.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

mechaet posted:

Offset 30 will be fine. You're well inside 1.4cm of movement outwards. Unless you have some setup that positively centers the axle, you're going to get a small amount of rub on hard cornering, so I wouldn't take it to a track day without resolving that first; but as a street-driven car it'll be just fine.
Thanks for the info, you mean 16 offset though right? Because 30 is what I have right now.

thebigcow posted:

I look at that picture and realize I need louvers.
I have been in love with louvers since I was a kid, that factored heavily in my mustang purchase.

Tide posted:

I love the new edge Mustangs for some reason. I wish they would have updated the interiors to be more angular as well. The temptation to pick one up kills me sometimes.
Its not strange, the GTs have less power than a new V6 but I too really like all the straight lines and angles. Theres just so much body on the newer ones.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
No louvers for New Edge on Amazon :(

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Do you have amazon gift certificates or something?

edit: http://www.amazon.com/Mach-Speed-22012-Mustang-Window-Louver/dp/B007QTSZYG

Thats my exact set, though I bought them directly from the manufacturer with a 5% coupon.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Strano has a sale

On-car adjustable :fap:

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011
Cage: How about these?

FR500 American Muscle rims, the guy was running a 275 all around.

In other news, I got my Paxton AED startup tune.... Still waiting on the 360 MaxFlow BOV.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Strano has a sale

On-car adjustable :fap:

I saw that sale. Almost made be bite. I don't think I'll jump on it yet though.

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011

Not quite a Tial Q but it's close!

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now

mechaet posted:

Snow tips (some are general driving-in-snow advice):

You'll notice I have on chains on the rear wheels. That was because at the time I was stupidly running the stock Pirellis. I have since switched over to a dedicated set of snow tires. No chains required, and you can switch over to Sport mode stability control and hang the rear end end around any corner you wish; lift to recover if you're not good at sliding... it's a tad jerky on the self-recovery but completely manageable.

If you're going to use chains, keep in mind they do make chains for low-profile tires. Make absolutely sure to get the right size, because if the chain flings off it will scratch your paint. I've never experienced this, but have been told repeatedly.

The best tire I have found for this car in the winter is the Pirelli Sottozero; they are hellaciously pricey, but worth their weight in gold. Excellent lateral traction, very sure-footed. It is also the stock tire Ford puts on the Brembo-equipped Mustangs when they are delivered during winter time.

I more or less grew up driving a RWD in snow, although it was an 84 monte carlo / auto and I've been driving a 13HP FWD Neon for the last 6 years. I just bought a 2011 GT MT with the 3.73's and Brembos and its quite different. I live in NH but it's close to the end of the season, but we'll likely still get some more snow, which chains do you have, a certain brand/model (just in case).

My wife wants a new Magenta Camaro Convertible mostly because of the color, but after she drove my Mustang yesterday she was at least willing to check out the Mustang. She wants a V6/Auto though, but she may wait until fall when the 2015's come out.

On a side note, The original owner didn't get the side window louvers, and I want them, is there a recommended place to get them?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I am without a Mustang for the first time since I was 14 (I am 40 :stare: ). I...I don't know what to do.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now

Tide posted:

I am without a Mustang for the first time since I was 14 (I am 40 :stare: ). I...I don't know what to do.

I'm just the opposite, I've wanted one since I was 14 and drove my Aunts 88 GT. Almost 40 now (37 in 2 weeks) and just bought my first one.

BJA fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 7, 2014

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
Does anybody know what "Axle Ratio Promotion" refers to? I was looking at a new 2013 GT and all of them had this listed on their window stickers and it is a $950 discount. The sales guy had no idea and I've not found much information on the internet.

Would I be wasting my time trying to score a new 2013 GT Premium for around $25k ($11k off of MSRP)? I feel like there are enough of them sitting on the lot to justify a crazy-low offer.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

oRenj9 posted:

Does anybody know what "Axle Ratio Promotion" refers to? I was looking at a new 2013 GT and all of them had this listed on their window stickers and it is a $950 discount. The sales guy had no idea and I've not found much information on the internet.

Would I be wasting my time trying to score a new 2013 GT Premium for around $25k ($11k off of MSRP)? I feel like there are enough of them sitting on the lot to justify a crazy-low offer.

Heck no. 25K on a new GT would be a screamin' deal.

The Axle Ratio Promo is them acknowledging that they screwed up by putting 3.31 gears in cars that need to be a bit quicker on their feet.

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011
Paxton Install Day 1

Working Hours 12PM-7:30PM

HR1-2
Unpacked everything, parts everywhere. Took about 15 minutes to get the car on ramps because mad stance requires wood blocks on two and 1/2 ton craftsman black friday floor jacks.

Intake comes off before the car is even finished getting ramped. Front bumper came off ~10 minutes later after temperature sensor and fog lights were disconnected.

Coolant gets drained out of the radiator and set aside, coolant tank removed and discarded, some coolant tubes removed to be modified later.

HR2-3
Throttle body comes out, fuel covers and coil covers removed. We decided to do coils first, replacing all with NGK 6150s gapped to .032".

Injectors proved to be more difficult then expected, and we only realized you can tip the entire fuel rail forward until after we finished replacing all the injectors. Gas went everywhere.

HR3.5-7
Started hacking up the OEM radiator hoses to route around the head unit area of the supercharger. After cutting and fitting this revamped radiator hose, we had to modify other areas of the car's AC system.

For the aftermarket coolant tank to fit in the valley to the right of the engine you have to bend two lines, the A/C service port and AC compressor suction line.

And of course...

R134a party :yaycloud:

I've been able to narrow it down to one of these parts:

2011 FORD MUSTANG A/C Refrigerant Hose

e: Ford parts departments are not open on Sunday :D

e2: part is BR3Z19D742C

e3: pricematched locally for next day ship!

bowling 4 buttcoins fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 10, 2014

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Air conditioning just takes away power from the blower, you're better off this way.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

mechaet posted:

Heck no. 25K on a new GT would be a screamin' deal.

The Axle Ratio Promo is them acknowledging that they screwed up by putting 3.31 gears in cars that need to be a bit quicker on their feet.

I was more trying to see if $25k was an unreasonable expectation to have. I know that $25k is a great deal, but I don't want to waste my time negotiating if I know the dealer won't bite. I bet they are pretty close to being auctioned off because they've been sitting on the lot for close to two years not. Not to mention that they have about eight of the exact same car in different colors. Browsing Mustang forums hasn't been particularly fruitful because none of them have a "how much did you pay" thread.

Thanks for the info on the axle stuff. The car still seemed to pull like a demon from 3k in third, but my expectations could just be low due to daily driving a 130ft-lb car.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

oRenj9 posted:

I was more trying to see if $25k was an unreasonable expectation to have. I know that $25k is a great deal, but I don't want to waste my time negotiating if I know the dealer won't bite. I bet they are pretty close to being auctioned off because they've been sitting on the lot for close to two years not. Not to mention that they have about eight of the exact same car in different colors. Browsing Mustang forums hasn't been particularly fruitful because none of them have a "how much did you pay" thread.

Thanks for the info on the axle stuff. The car still seemed to pull like a demon from 3k in third, but my expectations could just be low due to daily driving a 130ft-lb car.

It'll still pull like it means it, just not as well as the very-popular 3.73 ratio.

It's also very easy and somewhat cost-effective to swap the gears out post-purchase by a decent shop.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

AM has some new wheels coming out. MMD 5-spokes which appear to be TSW panorama clones for about $50 cheaper. No word on weight, as far as I can tell. Also no bronze :(

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Man, $410 shipped for four brand new bullitts is tempting.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Dunno if anyone else is looking for them, but if you've done a 5.4 swap in a New Edge and need the intake adaptors, Amazon claims to have a set in stock.

Mine are supposedly being delivered Thursday, though at this point, I will believe it when I have a tracking number.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Man, I heard the 2015 Mustang was going to be at the Calgary Auto Show, and now (having secured tickets) I hear that it's not. I was all excited, too...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PT6A posted:

Man, I heard the 2015 Mustang was going to be at the Calgary Auto Show, and now (having secured tickets) I hear that it's not. I was all excited, too...

No mustang, and the f-150 behind ropes. Kinda sucks, but i think i'm still gonna go in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011
Day 2

A billion little lovely bolts.