Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Excels posted:

There are a bunch of comments on that article with people praising this as a "Next-gen exclusive" so it can be made "from the ground up" -- does PS4 really look that much better than pushing the limits of PS3? I don't see many titles that "take advantage" of the 'advanced graphics' on Xbone or PS4.

It really doesn't look all that much better. I think most of that is just marketing poo poo. Games like Arkham Origins and Assassin's Creed 4, etc etc still looked way loving better on my PC than I've seen them on PS3 or 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Excels posted:

There are a bunch of comments on that article with people praising this as a "Next-gen exclusive" so it can be made "from the ground up" -- does PS4 really look that much better than pushing the limits of PS3? I don't see many titles that "take advantage" of the 'advanced graphics' on Xbone or PS4.

Pretty sure it's next gen exclusive. Saw mostly PS4 box art so even if it could be ported to last gen, it'd probably look and feel like barely 30FPS poo poo.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Skoll posted:

Ugh. Why are these trailers always so gorgeous?

Is Arkham Knight supposed to be a sequel to Arkham Origins or Arkham City? Judging by the Batsuit and how young he looked, I'm guessing it's going to be Arkham Origins.

Let's just hope that even though it's Rocksteady, the game won't be a buggy piece of poo poo.

Arkham City had two subplots which forshadowed the events in this one. Albeit vaugely.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012

Excels posted:

It's being reported as next-gen exclusive on most of the sites that are running the story. If I was given the option I wouldn't upgrade, but if it's the only way I'm going to get the next Rocksteady Arkham installment, it's a solid incentive for me.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Skoll posted:

Is Arkham Knight supposed to be a sequel to Arkham Origins or Arkham City? Judging by the Batsuit and how young he looked, I'm guessing it's going to be Arkham Origins.
It takes place after City. "Finale" should have been a hint.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 4, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skoll posted:

It really doesn't look all that much better. I think most of that is just marketing poo poo. Games like Arkham Origins and Assassin's Creed 4, etc etc still looked way loving better on my PC than I've seen them on PS3 or 4.

Arkham Origins didn't come out on PS4.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Excels posted:

PS4 looks way better, even in games like ACIV. The difference might not be quite as drastic as it would be in comparison to the PC version at max settings, but it's definitely there.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Arkham Origins didn't come out on PS4.

You correct me then. I know AC 4 looked better on my PC though. I had assumed Origins did come out for PS4 but didn't bother to do my research for that. My bad.

And I dug this up on imdb, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3139086/reference

Guess the working title was originally Assault on Arkham?

EDIT:

I'm a loving moron, this is apparently an animated short.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Tentatively nervous about batmobile mechanics. I don't want too may GTA chases in my Batman game.

Although I do want to be able to jump straight out of the batmobile, grapple onto a roof, jump a thug, and then land back in the batmobile on the other side of the building.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Im hoping "playable Harley Quinn DLC" implies that Robin/Nightwing are in the main game as default.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Wonder if the playable Harley Quinn DLC is like Catwoman where you get her only if you buy the game new.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Skoll posted:

And I dug this up on imdb, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3139086/reference

Guess the working title was originally Assault on Arkham?
Nope. It's the upcoming animated movie based on the game series.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Playable Harley Quinn is pretty great. I wonder who she'll fight in her challenge maps, though. Maybe it'll be cops, like Joker's in Asylum.

And is it just me, or did the zoom in on Batman's eyes make anyone else feel like they were looking at Michael Keaton in the Batsuit?

Skoll posted:

Ugh. Why are these trailers always so gorgeous?

Let's just hope that even though it's Rocksteady, the game won't be a buggy piece of poo poo.

It's a finale to the Arkham series and Harley is in the trailer without Joker. It's after City.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 4, 2014

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's a finale to the Arkham series and Harley is in the trailer without Joker. It's after City.

I'm glad we'll get a Joker-free finale, though I'm sure they'll do something like have Batman be exposed to fear gas and relive killing him or (if they can convince Hamill) a cameo where a hallucination of Joker taunts Batman at some key moment.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think a Joker hallucination is pretty much required by virtue of Scarecrow's inclusion.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

OH NO MAN posted:

PS4 looks way better, even in games like ACIV. The difference might not be quite as drastic as it would be in comparison to the PC version at max settings, but it's definitely there.

The PS4 version was, if memory serves, basically identicle to the PC version running at 1080 with almost all (but not quite) the options turned on. It's not the best example though because it was a loving terrible PC port that had issues in heavily forested areas on my new GTX770 system.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Batman looks a lot leaner in the trailer than he did in the previous games. I know that's just CG footage, but I hope he looks like this in the actual game as well. Never was a huge fan of the giant musclehead look, even if it was consistent with the animated series and many of the comics.

ShineDog posted:

The PS4 version was, if memory serves, basically identicle to the PC version running at 1080 with almost all (but not quite) the options turned on. It's not the best example though because it was a loving terrible PC port that had issues in heavily forested areas on my new GTX770 system.
Yeah, it is. I have both versions, and the main difference is that the PS4 version runs at a locked 30fps instead of the 30-60 I get in the PC version with most of the graphics turned up. The graphics themselves look almost completely identical.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 4, 2014

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
That trailer looks great. Loved the last few Arkham games(haven't touched Origins for some reason though) so I'm looking forward to this. Not really interested in buying a ps4 for now though, so I hope my GTX 660ti can handle it on decent settings.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hopeford posted:

That trailer looks great. Loved the last few Arkham games(haven't touched Origins for some reason though) so I'm looking forward to this. Not really interested in buying a ps4 for now though, so I hope my GTX 660ti can handle it on decent settings.

I'll probably play it on my GTX 550ti so yeah. :v:

...probably should upgrade the processor though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Anyone else think that Batman looks a bit like the Keaton Batman when the camera zooms in on his eyes?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I'm almost getting a Metal Gear Rising vibe from that trailer.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Anyone else think that Batman looks a bit like the Keaton Batman when the camera zooms in on his eyes?

It's the eye makeup.

Also I'm glad they're going with the Origin style bat suit. Going back to play Arkham Asylum/City and seeing Batman running around in skintight underpants looks... odd.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

doctor 7 posted:

It's the eye makeup.

Also I'm glad they're going with the Origin style bat suit. Going back to play Arkham Asylum/City and seeing Batman running around in skintight underpants looks... odd.

Try playing with the Batman Beyond skin, it's pretty much a full-body skinsuit. He doesn't even have a cape. Also, bulge.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Scarecrow's opening lines really give me the chills. Hell, the entire trailer has a pretty good creepy vibe with Thomas Wayne's will being read in a hauntingly stern voice...all while Bruce is kind of disobeying the entire thing.

Except he's not really.

He's spending the money on "fast cars and outrageous clothes" and his lifestyle is pretty destructive. However, he's treating people like family, guarding them, and watching over them as well.

...Kind of makes me wonder if Bruce even paid ANY attention to the will or just took it 100% literally.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I just hope they don't pull some poo poo halfway through the game and make Scarecrow just a lackey for Joker. He was fun and all, but goddamn man just let Joker die already.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Scyantific posted:

I just hope they don't pull some poo poo halfway through the game and make Scarecrow just a lackey for Joker. He was fun and all, but goddamn man just let Joker die already.

Considering the game is based after City, I'd say Joker's been dead for a while.

Should we spoiler-tag the ending for City still?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

All I ask for is a full co-op Batfamily mode. With everyone.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Goddamnit I can never not be reduced to a quivering little nostalgic child again whenever a badass Batman trailer comes out. I think I held my breath during the whole thing.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

OH NO MAN posted:

Batman looks a lot leaner in the trailer than he did in the previous games. I know that's just CG footage, but I hope he looks like this in the actual game as well. Never was a huge fan of the giant musclehead look, even if it was consistent with the animated series and many of the comics.

I wonder if there's a reason for that leaner look. Batman seemed pretty unhinged at the end of that Arkham City DLC, maybe he's let himself go after what happened to the Joker?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Just by the high-tech nature of the batsuit it's obvious it's after City.
I like what I see and read so far, next stop: Batman beyond. :circlefap:

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012
Since Harley is confirmed to play a major role in this installment, I wonder if they're going to do anything with the pregnancy subplot from City. Arkham Knight seems to take place a couple of years after the events of the last game, so i'm assuming there has been some significant developments to that end.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

SuitcoatAvenger posted:

Since Harley is confirmed to play a major role in this installment, I wonder if they're going to do anything with the pregnancy subplot from City. Arkham Knight seems to take place a couple of years after the events of the last game, so i'm assuming there has been some significant developments to that end.

I thought the pregnancy test was a false positive or something. If she were still pregnant they wouldn't be making her a playable character.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012

Excels posted:

If she were still pregnant they wouldn't be making her a playable character.

Again, Knight is supposed to take place a couple of years after Arkham City. As for it being a false positive, her singing at the end of City would suggest otherwise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfZEMqC8YIU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

SuitcoatAvenger posted:

The pregnancy turned out to be a false positive test result based on information in Harley's Revenge. I'm not sure how they will justify Quinzel being in a remotely functional state in the new game, though- most of her character was wrapped up in being psychotically dependent on her abusive and dominant partner, the Joker.

Maybe Scarecrow is going to have some sort of mind control thing going on? I'm not sure why all these villains would be working together. The trailer literally consists of representatives of the three factions that were killing each other in the previous game.

I'm rooting for a return of sane Bane- only hopefully better written this time.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

SuitcoatAvenger posted:

Again, Knight is supposed to take place a couple of years after Arkham City. As for it being a false positive, her singing at the end of City would suggest otherwise
The one billion sixteen negative pregnancy sticks in the Harley DLC would suggest other-otherwise.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9cp3xsJCkU

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 4, 2014

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

The pregnancy turned out to be a false positive test result based on information in Harley's Revenge.

Huh. Guess I have to replay the DLC then. I completely forgot about that.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Discendo Vox posted:

The pregnancy turned out to be a false positive test result based on information in Harley's Revenge. I'm not sure how they will justify Quinzel being in a remotely functional state in the new game, though- most of her character was wrapped up in being psychotically dependent on her abusive and dominant partner, the Joker.
I think after a period of several years she'll be in a state to at least function, even if she's still completely psychotic or acting in the service of her long-dead master.

Cheap Vodka
Nov 4, 2008

COMPLETE. GLOBAL. CALIBRATION.

Discendo Vox posted:

Maybe Scarecrow is going to have some sort of mind control thing going on? I'm not sure why all these villains would be working together. The trailer literally consists of representatives of the three factions that were killing each other in the previous game.

I'm rooting for a return of sane Bane- only hopefully better written this time.

Penguin is a businessman, he would ally with whomever would bring him the biggest profit and give him the most power. Two Face can be unpredictable, but when the coin lands correctly he can make some rational choices. Harley, I dunno. Wasn't she suicidal in the AC DLC? This could be an act of desperation and she realizes that teaming up with the other crimelords is her best shot at killing Batman and 'avenging' Mistah J.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I think a Joker hallucination is pretty much required by virtue of Scarecrow's inclusion.
I want a long hallucination sequence done in full 1960s Batman style, with Adam West brought in to provide Bruce's voice. Find someone who can mimic Cesar Romero's over-the-top giggly Joker voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

If there is one thing Arkham Asylum made really clear it was that Harley is extremely clever, and is commonly depicted as the only character (besides Batman) who elicited some kind of emotional response from the Joker. So I want to believe she was able to hang on to some shred of sanity after Bats slapped her around at the end of Arkham City.

Excels fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 4, 2014

• Locked thread