Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Speaking of Can and Jeremy Parish, can we do a Kickstarter to buy him a pop filter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Phone posted:

Speaking of Can and Jeremy Parish, can we do a Kickstarter to buy him a pop filter?

I think this episode was the last one we recorded where he didn't have one for his home setup. We've also soundproofed the vault, so things should start sounding a lot better in general.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

bobservo posted:

I think this episode was the last one we recorded where he didn't have one for his home setup. We've also soundproofed the vault, so things should start sounding a lot better in general.

I noticed Jeremy was pretty quiet in the mix during this episode, though I didn't notice any popping. It was a great episode in either case.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Just piping in for Retronauts love, I've only been listening since the start of the newest series but I'm gonna say that these two Retronauts-proper episodes are the most fun ones I've had the pleasure of listening to. Especially the Parappa episode, since it's a blast listening to several guys talking about a specific topic they're passionate about. And then, even the Yasumi Matsuno and Ivalice episodes have been massively fun to listen to a much more specfic (and admittedly, more inheirently interesting) topic that I've had a blind-spot about.

Mostly just spreadin' the love, and remember Mr. Servo, ya gotta guitar in the mind.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

bobservo posted:

Awesome!

It probably doesn't help that I have some low rent earbuds, but Jeremy had a string of sentences that were Punctuating Properly on all P's in the PArappa episode.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Episode 2 of the second season of Walking Dead is out, and it was written by Nick Breckon. It actually has a "gently caress Nick" reference in it. I love this drat podcast :allears:

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
The MoO 2 WOFF is good. There's a lot to talk about with those games, and the guest they had was cool. I wish MoO 3 didn't suck, because I actually like the idea of being a hands-off space bureaucrat.

I imagine suggesting a game for WOFF is like spitting in the ocean at this point, but Star Control 2 (most easily in the form of Ur-Quan Masters) would be a great game for the cast. It's like a narrative-focused MoO with asteroidsesque action combat.

The way it's structured it's basically Mass Effect but if the reapers were actually coming instead of waiting for you to show up.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Wikipedia Brown posted:

I imagine suggesting a game for WOFF is like spitting in the ocean at this point, but Star Control 2 (most easily in the form of Ur-Quan Masters) would be a great game for the cast. It's like a narrative-focused MoO with asteroidsesque action combat.

We have our schedule planned for the next few months but after that we're pretty open and this has been suggested by none other than Video Games Hot Zach so it's on our radar. I'm a huge fan of Starflight which is like a primitive version of Star Control 2(my understanding).

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

regulargonzalez posted:

Lord Remo's description of Calculords made me want to play it so bad. When he was wondering who the target audience for it was all I could think was "Me! It's me who is the target audience!"

Too bad it's not out on Android :(

It's me, too. Also I don't have an iOS device. Funny how everyone into magic cards and math games owns an Android phone.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Woffle posted:

We have our schedule planned for the next few months but after that we're pretty open and this has been suggested by none other than Video Games Hot Zach so it's on our radar. I'm a huge fan of Starflight which is like a primitive version of Star Control 2(my understanding).

Cool! Yeah, Star Control 2 is considered a sort of spiritual successor to Starflight (with some key SC2 personnel having worked in various capacities on Starflight).

I keep meaning to play Starflight one of these days. The Genesis version looks pretty sick.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Cool! Yeah, Star Control 2 is considered a sort of spiritual successor to Starflight (with some key SC2 personnel having worked in various capacities on Starflight).

I keep meaning to play Starflight one of these days. The Genesis version looks pretty sick.

The Genesis Starflight, along with the Genesis Shadowrun, were instrumental to getting me into PC gaming.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Star Control 2 would be rad as heck. Admittedly it loses a little something after the first play through, but it's still one of the coolest space games out there. I actually just finished a replay recently, maybe I should write down my thoughts just in case.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Woffle posted:

The Genesis Starflight, along with the Genesis Shadowrun, were instrumental to getting me into PC gaming.

Yeah I never had a PC until 1995, but was always fascinated by computer gaming so I cut my teeth on console ports back then. I played the hell out of Might & Magic: Gates to Another World and Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday on the Genesis, as well as Eye of the Beholder and the best version of Prince of Persia on the SNES. Console ports of PC games in the 8- and 16-bit years would be a pretty swell WOFF topic.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Yeah, I'm right there with you. I played a whole lot of Maniac Mansion, the Macventure series, the NES Ultimas and the Genesis Might and Magics.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I had a similar arc a few years later. Before my family got a PC my sister and I played a ton of PS1 Diablo and Mechwarrior 2 (totally fine) and Starcraft 64 (woof.)

We used to do splitscreen no rush Starcraft matches where we'd spend 20 minutes building carriers and battlecruisers and run them into each other. Battlenet without battlenet.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Yeah, I know I'm not the only person who first experienced Deus Ex on the PS2 either. There's something to be said for diminished but available experiences.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I first played Syndicate on the Jaguar, and my long love affair with Wing Commander began on the SNES and 3DO. All good ports, considering the limitations involved, but it was eye-opening when I later rediscovered these things on a decent PC.

In fact, I first played Star Control 2 on the 3DO, which until the open source shenanigans of UQM was easily the best version. Like Starflight on the Genesis, it was an opportunity to revisit and revise a slightly older game on a powerful console, rather than a case of trying to cram a complex game onto a less flexible machine.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Like Starflight on the Genesis, it was an opportunity to revisit and revise a slightly older game on a powerful console, rather than a case of trying to cram a complex game onto a less flexible machine.

See also, for my money, the SNES Sim City.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Woffle posted:

See also, for my money, the SNES Sim City.

Sim City also had the advantage of having an absolutely amazing soundtrack on the SNES.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

I hope Sean talking to himself in the latest Idle Thumbs confuses everyone who can't tell the difference between Sean and Jake's voices.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dr. Stab posted:

It's me, too. Also I don't have an iOS device. Funny how everyone into magic cards and math games owns an Android phone.

I literally have an iPhone because more games come out for it/games are generally more stable on it. Of course I can never admit that's the reason when people ask why I haven't switched to Android.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
I... don't know if this latest episode of thumbs was good? The day z story was nice, but lots of injokey laughing at selves, asides.. just a bunch a bullshit. Imo

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

Episode 2 of the second season of Walking Dead is out, and it was written by Nick Breckon. It actually has a "gently caress Nick" reference in it. I love this drat podcast :allears:

Also: Christmas Duck.

I'll be super happy if Christmas Duck becomes a thing that goes into every Thumbs Cabal video game.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'd like to recommend one of my favourite British podcasts. Cane and Rinse. Very similar format to 'Watch out for Fireballs' in that they pick a game, play it, then discuss it and read out fan-mail on the 'cast.

http://caneandrinse.com/

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011

FuriousGeorge posted:

Yeah I never had a PC until 1995, but was always fascinated by computer gaming so I cut my teeth on console ports back then. I played the hell out of Might & Magic: Gates to Another World and Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday on the Genesis, as well as Eye of the Beholder and the best version of Prince of Persia on the SNES. Console ports of PC games in the 8- and 16-bit years would be a pretty swell WOFF topic.

Man I would love to hear a WOFF on DOS Prince of Persia or one of the old Commander Keens; I love the podcast but I'm so unfamiliar with most of the games they do. I played loads of games from that era but all my formative gaming experiences were exclusively PC games, which I suppose is somewhat unusual.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Ramagamma posted:

I'd like to recommend one of my favourite British podcasts. Cane and Rinse. Very similar format to 'Watch out for Fireballs' in that they pick a game, play it, then discuss it and read out fan-mail on the 'cast.

http://caneandrinse.com/

Seconded, I listened to 2 episodes last week (Super Meat Boy, Binding of Isaac) and it's pretty good! I like the dynamic the guys have, the personal experiences with the games are good to listen to. Also, as an eurogoon it's nice to listen to a non-US podcast sometimes because of different perspectives on things.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I stumbled on something called the Polaris Podcast.

I tried listening to one of them at random but it sounds pretty bad. They caught up in incredbly offtopic tangents, seem to have little to no direction and I can't bear the idea of 3 hours of this. Did I just pick a poor iteration or is it par for the course for this show?

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
The Link to the Past episode of Watch Out for Fireballs! is up. We've got a special guest on board, too.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/68

Up next we'll be joined by Bob Mackey to talk about Deadly Premonition (I'm ridiculously in love with this game, and can't wait to talk about it). Then it's Blade Runner for the PC, and a special episode about video game hardware in all of its glory.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Song For The Deaf posted:

Up next we'll be joined by Bob Mackey to talk about Deadly Premonition (I'm ridiculously in love with this game, and can't wait to talk about it).

Cannot wait. Deadly Premonition is amazing, and hearing y'all gush about it for about 2 hours is gonna be amazing too. :allears:

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

Cannot wait. Deadly Premonition is amazing, and hearing y'all gush about it for about 2 hours is gonna be amazing too. :allears:

I might have a surprise for you in that case. I'm probably about 3/4 the way through and while there is a lot I like about it, there are some things I straight up hate. Luckily, it's been steadily improving in this back half and I'm pretty into it right now so it could be a total redemption in the end.

himurak
Jun 13, 2003

Where was that save the world button again?
Can anyone recommend a Podcast a la Three Moves Ahead for MMO's?

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
I also love Deadly Premonition, but it's one of those games I prefer to watch and listen to people talk about the game rather than play it myself.

Thwack! fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 6, 2014

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

The Parappa the Rapper Retronauts was a great episode. If only for the fact that it reminded me of the time some kid at a summer camp I worked at many years ago decided to sing "Gotta Believe" for a talent show, while dressing as Parappa as well.

It was as awkward/awesome/hilarious as you can imagine it being.

Super disappointed those games haven't shown up on PSN. :smith:

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Handsome Ralph posted:

The Parappa the Rapper Retronauts was a great episode. If only for the fact that it reminded me of the time some kid at a summer camp I worked at many years ago decided to sing "Gotta Believe" for a talent show, while dressing as Parappa as well.

It was as awkward/awesome/hilarious as you can imagine it being.

Super disappointed those games haven't shown up on PSN. :smith:

You'd have to redesign Parappa to work on modern a/v systems due to video and audio latency. You can download the PSP version on the PSP or Vita at least.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Wikipedia Brown posted:

You'd have to redesign Parappa to work on modern a/v systems due to video and audio latency. You can download the PSP version on the PSP or Vita at least.

That explains it then. Though they had mentioned the PSP version as being awful.

I have high hopes that the rumor of Sony bringing a third game out to the PS4 is true in that case.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I'm loving these idle thumbs twitch events. Please (if you have the resources) make a proper youtube video of the thing suggested on the podcast.

I remember warning you guys about streaming this game the first time. I would even suggest having nothing what so ever from your party on the stream at all. Just save it all for the video.

Any way what ever you decide, it sounds awesome.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Hey the 8-4 guys finally got around to doing that special Dark Souls episode they've been talking about forever. I'm only a few minutes in but so far I can say that their impressions of Dark Souls NPCs need more weird laughter.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

I... don't know if this latest episode of thumbs was good? The day z story was nice, but lots of injokey laughing at selves, asides.. just a bunch a bullshit. Imo

I enjoyed the *bleep*game.com running bit and all of the e-mails, especially the telepresence robot thing. I wish it was more than an hour long, but I guess hiccups/scheduling will do that sometimes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

I listened to it last night and thought it was great, I guess it just wasn't for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Just a quick note that I'm on Retronauts again. This is probably the most fun out of the three we recorded:

http://www.retronauts.com/?p=649

• Locked thread